Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Cesaro?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost

Shard posted:

https://archive.org/details/pro-wrestling-illustrated-1986-05-road-warriors-b/page/n3/mode/2up

Page 2 at the bottom - More-Aco.

On the Magnificent Muraco - "He deserves recognition. Look how he has destroyed Rick 'Puff The Dragon' Steamboat over the past few months. Muraco is the toughest opponent Hulk Hogan ever faced..."

I got a letter printed in one of these mags once. They kept the gist of what I said but changed the wording so that I sounded exactly like... that.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/WrestleCringe/status/1539805045318995969

gripebomb
Dec 13, 2006

I wanted to fight the world.

- Eddie Kingston

This came up in the replies.

https://twitter.com/carolianna_/status/1539823153584783360?s=20&t=8xGwvbbWuNhWHYZkop5G6g

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

A drop kick is like a 90 degree flip and his is 4x better than anyone else’s so really it kind of checks out.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

This is so good because every time anyone has ever had to explain to people just why Okada is considered the best they always say the same thing - he is consistently good at making the most basic moves look crisp and perfect. But no lady go off - he's a flippy dude!

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

https://twitter.com/zerocontextAEW/status/1539805453970018306?t=m7w7CjX_-MumqRZota6u8g&s=19

Not a bad tweet, but basically what Christian mentions is the kind of tweets that are posted in here.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

quote:

ironically enough SCJerk was calling it out/noticing it for a solid month or two before he went to rehab. Not in a mean spirited way, in a “this guy clearly needs to get help right now” way

the physical signs were 100% there, the redness in his face and the bloating especially. I think that sub tends to skew a bit older though so there’s more lived experience in actually seeing those signs in a friend or family member than there is here

SCJerk was able to detect Mox’s alcoholism before anyone else. They were also able to detect that Toni Storm was “probably on opioids” based on when she was tired for that one signing she did a few months ago. Incredible stuff!

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I am shocked that people took the physical signs of heavy drinking on someone who is widely known as a drinker and threw the idea that they might be an alcoholic out there.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I just thought Mox was making a conscious effort to become a beefhouse because he looked like an absolute bruiser, but I'm glad he was able to get healthy and come back looking like an absolute killer on the opposite end of the spectrum.

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

mox was just trying to go true believer patriot mode

https://twitter.com/fart/status/1337575027227545601

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
the last two promos mox did before leaving for treatment were pretty clear that dude was in real bad shape. it rocks he was able to beat it

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

https://twitter.com/toshanshuinLA/status/1539785204201562112

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Ultimately even "smart" wrestling fans are, at their core, whiny little babies

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

just watch something else john ya dumb bish

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
just completely unable to understand how people get so worked up about stuff like this. gonna cry into a drink over a wrestling show being simply "Pretty Good On Paper"

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
Petty good Pape on paper.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
It's me, the guy paying $1,000 to grudgingly hate a show for 4 hours

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Elephant Ambush posted:

It's me, the guy paying $1,000 to grudgingly hate a show for 4 hours

Assume he thought the card would be better when he bought his ticket.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

One could always sell their ticket if they are unhappy

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
AEW has only been around a few years and wrestling fans are already spoiled. Time for another two decades of wwe monopoly

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

forkboy84 posted:

the card is literally fine tho

I mean, Christ, it's not like the War of the Worlds shows had anything truly groundbreaking on there for the most part

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

owned

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
If a show doesn't give you you every single possible dream match in the world all at once then it's automatically a failure and both companies should pack it up and sell their poo poo off to Big Daddy Vince

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Venomous posted:

I mean, Christ, it's not like the War of the Worlds shows had anything truly groundbreaking on there for the most part

Yes, but they announced those cards more than 3 days in advance.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

why does it matter. what difference does it make, to you. why would this affect your enjoyment of the show.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

why does it matter. what difference does it make, to you. why would this affect your enjoyment of the show.

It does matter how shows and matches are built to

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

that has nothing to do with what was said. "the build hasn't been good" is not the same as "the card isn't good" or "the full card was announced only 3 days before the show"

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I’m not even excited about forbidden door and I’m still pretty sure it’ll be a good show, hangman and Okada are going to wrestle

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Im looking forward to forbidden door more than double or nothing. shorter card with a bunch of fun looking multimans. i think it will be a very chill time.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
My bad take is they should have somehow worked NJPW wrestlers into Blood and Guts even if it was shoehorned. Idk how, but I know BCC vs Suzuki Gun would be loving nuts.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Venomous posted:

I can't speak for John but they probably thought this would be more like G1 Supercard in MSG than WOTW, considering the size of venue.

I'm sure it'll be a fun show but I have no intention paying $20 for a road to show

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

I think its inaccurate to compare a show with multiple singles matches and title matches to a road to show, personally.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

forkboy84 posted:

I can't speak for John but they probably thought this would be more like G1 Supercard in MSG than WOTW, considering the size of venue.

I'm sure it'll be a fun show but I have no intention paying $20 for a road to show

The G1 Supercard was so good because the top New Japan and ROH talent was separated out into their own matches, that was clearly never going to be the plan here

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

People who say “the full card was announced only 3 days before the show” are the same donnies who will quite literally piss themselves at the widowed dame in Chrimbo pantomimes

i'm sorry. i don't know what thi smeans. i just saw it in a tweet and wanted to use it. I respect anyone who said the full card was announced only 3 days before the show. they're entitled to that subjective opinion and they're smart

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
the card for the show looks good, with a bunch of matches i'm excited to see. the injuries clearly derailed a bunch of plans, and if there weren't those injuries they would've had more time to build matches and give the people who need longer builds what they wanted, but i think faulting either company for things out of their control or pretending that the quick build was on purpose isn't right

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

my take is that if you don’t like the card, you can just watch something else or go outside. Blood and Guts next week!!!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Rarity posted:

The G1 Supercard was so good because the top New Japan and ROH talent was separated out into their own matches, that was clearly never going to be the plan here

Well there was the tag team match for both ROH & IWGP tag belts. And the battle royal that should've been won by Liger. And Bandido challenged for the IWGP Jr title. And the ROH Women's Title match featured Mayu Iwatani. And the dark women's match was half Stardom & half ROH. Which is just under half the show (12 matches in total). The big matches were mostly not interpromotional & that's fine. Especially if the alternative is 3 or 4 ways. :shrug:

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

Well there was the tag team match for both ROH & IWGP tag belts. And the battle royal that should've been won by Liger. And Bandido challenged for the IWGP Jr title. And the ROH Women's Title match featured Mayu Iwatani. And the dark women's match was half Stardom & half ROH. Which is just under half the show (12 matches in total). The big matches were mostly not interpromotional & that's fine. Especially if the alternative is 3 or 4 ways. :shrug:

And a lot of those matches were pretty bad due to the politics. That tag match almost killed the entire show.

I get people being disappointed but I'm baffled at people seeing matches like the 4 way and thinking the show will be unwatchable.

Gumball Gumption fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jun 24, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Ringo Roadagain posted:

Im looking forward to forbidden door more than double or nothing. shorter card with a bunch of fun looking multimans. i think it will be a very chill time.

It’s going to be 5 hours long again