Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
Starmer begging the whips to enforce a no Gerry Anderson avatars on Facebook policy.

Edit: Joe 90 was first broadcast in 1968.

domhal fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jun 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Tesseraction posted:

Well I abhor violence and cruelty to animals, I have to admire the tenacity https://twitter.com/DailyMirror/status/1540032690111406080
The phrase “punched to death” really doesn’t feel like it should apply to a single punch, even if technically true. Reckon you need a solid 30–60 seconds of furiously deranged punching for that description.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/jun/23/the-guardian-view-on-colombias-election-a-chance-for-a-change

quote:

The emergence of a progressive politics in a country traditionally in the grip of the right should be welcomed

The irony is a bit too much

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

TACD posted:

The phrase “punched to death” really doesn’t feel like it should apply to a single punch, even if technically true.
Unless you're playing beach volleyball with the horsemen from Revelation.

e:

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jun 23, 2022

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
Watching and rewatching the tail end of the Lynch clip where he talks about not wanting working people to beg. Is this flickering funny feeling… hope? Are we allowed that? Is it even legal anymore?

On another note: I’m a UX designer. Design (as a profession) has never managed to have a proper professional body. We’re adjacent to journalism in a way, but not that. Other labour movements in ‘the arts’ exist and we’re not really part of that, because it tends more to itinerant theatre workers and suchlike. As far as I’ve been able to tell, my industry, (scientific) publishing, doesn’t have any kind of union either so I can’t fall into that camp.

I’m well enough paid that I don’t need food banks. I think probably my pension, such as it is, is relatively secure-ish (it’s a private scheme with Scottish Widows that’s set up by my employer). I pay my taxes in the 40% bracket. Unlike many people, some of whom are in this thread, I am not struggling and for that I’m grateful, because I remember being a freelance designer who didn’t make enough to pay income tax. I’ve benefited from inflated salaries in UX Design. When the pandemic hit the market value of UX went through the roof. 30 to 40% band increases in two years. It’s obscene. I try and minimise the impact by resolutely sticking to enterprise UX because my philosophy is ‘low paid workers shouldn’t have to battle shite Oracle behemoths just to do the jobs they’re tasked with while simultaneously being assessed based on their ability to operate massively substandard IT stacks’.

My question to the UKMT is: if I want to attempt to redress that imbalance that Lynch so eloquently describes by joining a union and contributing to its success and it’s ability to support those under the grim boot of wage erosion, what can I do? If your profession doesn’t have one, what does one do?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I object to comparing UX design to journalism because a competent UX designer produces something of significant value.

Also odd that it would be considered an art, I would have thought it would be more comparable to aerodynamic engineering, given that you surely have objectively more or less usable designs.

There are unions for things like video game artists, which I guess might be the closest field I can think of, could try looking them up and see what they're doing?

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jun 23, 2022

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Jeherrin posted:

My question to the UKMT is: if I want to attempt to redress that imbalance that Lynch so eloquently describes by joining a union and contributing to its success and it’s ability to support those under the grim boot of wage erosion, what can I do? If your profession doesn’t have one, what does one do?

The traditional advice, I believe, has been to join the IWW.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

You might belong in Prospect

https://prospect.org.uk/tech-workers/

I'm a member and while it's not the most exciting or militant of unions it does have the benefit of not funding the Labour Party. And from meeting various people at conference recently there's a decent crew of solid lefties as well as the meltier contingent.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I object to comparing UX design to journalism because a competent UX designer produces something of significant value.

Also odd that it would be considered an art, I would have thought it would be more comparable to aerodynamic engineering, given that you surely have objectively more or less usable designs.
British journalism is more like the emergency fighter program in that it doesn't work, looks ridiculous, occasionally spontaneously combusts, but manages to keep a bunch of terrible people comfortably compensated because the money keeps coming from somewhere (and it is owned by nazis).

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
Yeah, fair. My mention of journalism is mostly because I did the ‘what union for you?!’ thing online and because I work in publishing it recommends unions for those who work with the printed word, because - and this is a sore point - designers have consistently failed to sort out a union. Look up Mike Monteiro for more on that if you care.

So: journalism is out. Prospect seems a bit too tech aligned. IWW seems the closest option so far.

I know that some of my colleagues (more than I’d hoped, based on the ‘polish the guillotine’ comments when we talked about how spent the jubbly weekend) are pretty hard left. I need to screw up the courage to ask them if they’re unionised.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jeherrin posted:

Watching and rewatching the tail end of the Lynch clip where he talks about not wanting working people to beg. Is this flickering funny feeling… hope? Are we allowed that? Is it even legal anymore?

On another note: I’m a UX designer. Design (as a profession) has never managed to have a proper professional body. We’re adjacent to journalism in a way, but not that. Other labour movements in ‘the arts’ exist and we’re not really part of that, because it tends more to itinerant theatre workers and suchlike. As far as I’ve been able to tell, my industry, (scientific) publishing, doesn’t have any kind of union either so I can’t fall into that camp.

I’m well enough paid that I don’t need food banks. I think probably my pension, such as it is, is relatively secure-ish (it’s a private scheme with Scottish Widows that’s set up by my employer). I pay my taxes in the 40% bracket. Unlike many people, some of whom are in this thread, I am not struggling and for that I’m grateful, because I remember being a freelance designer who didn’t make enough to pay income tax. I’ve benefited from inflated salaries in UX Design. When the pandemic hit the market value of UX went through the roof. 30 to 40% band increases in two years. It’s obscene. I try and minimise the impact by resolutely sticking to enterprise UX because my philosophy is ‘low paid workers shouldn’t have to battle shite Oracle behemoths just to do the jobs they’re tasked with while simultaneously being assessed based on their ability to operate massively substandard IT stacks’.

OK, I have no loving idea what a UX designer actually does, but it sounds like Prospect may well be where you're looking. However there's always the general unions like GMB & Unite. And if you're worried that Prospect are a bit melty there is always either the IWGB or IWW.

I'd probably recommend looking at the IWGB more than the Wobblies, they have a track record of helping start up unionisation in industries without them, are a split-off from Unite & Unison & are very much an activist union. Heard about efforts of Deliveroo drivers unionising in London? University of London cleaners? IWGB were leading those campaigns. They have a branch for Game Workers so it's not all low-paid work either.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jun 23, 2022

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

OK, I have no loving idea what a UX designer actually does, but it sounds like Prospect may well be where you're looking. However there's always the general unions like GMB & Unite. And if you're worried that Prospect are a bit melty there is always either the IWGB or IWW,

(Enterprise) UX Design = ‘my job is to make sure the software tools they give you to do YOUR job actually loving allow you to do your job.’

I get real worked up about this. In short: your employer makes you use software systems. They don’t invest in those systems. They procure from multinational corporate conglomerates that epitomise the airline seat model: an average fit model that ruins everyone’s back equally.

They measure your performance through your ability to render you output through those systems. Those systems are not designed to help you, they are designed to exist and be sellable. My job is to fight that bullshit and make sure that the thing you need to do your job, the thing that records your output and then is used to quantify your value to your employer, actually allows you to demonstrate your value.

I get, as I said, real mad about this.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jeherrin posted:

(Enterprise) UX Design = ‘my job is to make sure the software tools they give you to do YOUR job actually loving allow you to do your job.’

I get real worked up about this. In short: your employer makes you use software systems. They don’t invest in those systems. They procure from multinational corporate conglomerates that epitomise the airline seat model: an average fit model that ruins everyone’s back equally.

They measure your performance through your ability to render you output through those systems. Those systems are not designed to help you, they are designed to exist and be sellable. My job is to fight that bullshit and make sure that the thing you need to do your job, the thing that records your output and then is used to quantify your value to your employer, actually allows you to demonstrate your value.

And my god do I wish that my company had anybody who even thought about the usability of their software.

As far as I know they develop it in house too, it's mad, I think it's just because the people who make the software have never done the job of the people who use the software. But I did a little bit of design when I did my degree and loving I could do a better design job than those hacks.

The amount of software that gets made by people who seemingly give no thought to using it is mental. It's like if someone made a car and the list said 1. has wheels 2. has accelerator and brake 3. has steering wheel, and then they put the steering wheel in the boot and the pedals on the ceiling and then pointed at it and said "car"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jeherrin posted:

They procure from multinational corporate conglomerates that epitomise the airline seat model: an average fit model that ruins everyone’s back equally.
Ah, the Procrustean workstacean

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

And my god do I wish that my company had anybody who even thought about the usability of their software.

As far as I know they develop it in house too, it's mad, I think it's just because the people who make the software have never done the job of the people who use the software. But I did a little bit of design when I did my degree and loving I could do a better design job than those hacks.

The amount of software that gets made by people who seemingly give no thought to using it is mental. It's like if someone made a car and the list said 1. has wheels 2. has accelerator and brake 3. has steering wheel, and then they put the steering wheel in the boot and the pedals on the ceiling and then pointed at it and said "car"

And that’s how you get Tesla.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Jeherrin posted:

sounds like your getting in the way of us just getting on and getting it done.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I daily have to use software that predates Win98 and crashes constantly, and this is for a massive pharma that made like half a trillion dollars in revenue over the last decade.

Would love to have a proper UX team rather than just constant bullshit meetings about Big Data and the pivot to digital healthcare

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

This is a good post and I liked it. Nice.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Stealing this

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

I daily have to use software that predates Win98 and crashes constantly, and this is for a massive pharma that made like half a trillion dollars in revenue over the last decade.

Would love to have a proper UX team rather than just constant bullshit meetings about Big Data and the pivot to digital healthcare

One of the fun facts about asda is that their stock control system still runs on a greentext terminal, and over the years has simply had extra GUIs bolted onto the front of it. Except for the things that haven't and you still have to load up the old ascii based display to do some queries. Literally older than me.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

One of the fun facts about asda is that their stock control system still runs on a greentext terminal, and over the years has simply had extra GUIs bolted onto the front of it. Except for the things that haven't and you still have to load up the old ascii based display to do some queries.

Argos still employs COBOL devs. I met one of them. A tiny little man with a grin the size of Delaware and gently caress me no wonder. Talk about a single point of failure.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

One of the fun facts about asda is that their stock control system still runs on a greentext terminal, and over the years has simply had extra GUIs bolted onto the front of it. Except for the things that haven't and you still have to load up the old ascii based display to do some queries. Literally older than me.

>be me, asda stock control system
>realise I'm a greentext
>mfw

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
E: I am drunk and can’t quote right.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

Your union demands should include ux designers

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

British police used Command & Control until last year, when they replaced it with a microsoft created piece of poo poo that gave a bunch of people migraines because the text is too small.

Also C&C was renowned as almost unhackable because it was a DOS based system modified from an inventory system the army used in the falklands. The new MS system is cobbled together from their standard modules and I would not be at all surprised to find out is therefore wide open for exploits.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

This is so loving blatant... lmao. I hope these two are identified.

https://twitter.com/hewitson10/status/1540091868150697984

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Prospect definitely isn't just techy, I'm in as part of the National Trust branch (our branch president spends most of his day felling trees and mending gates) and there's also archaeologists, various BBC/media types as part of Bectu, all sorts of poo poo. It's a really interesting and varied crowd to be honest.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobby Deluxe posted:

British police used Command & Control until last year, when they replaced it with a microsoft created piece of poo poo that gave a bunch of people migraines because the text is too small.

Also C&C
Doing the obvious bit but Priti Patel will definitely try to give the Met prism towers by 2030.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Patel tries to access rules.ini to give police officers 8" cruiser cannon rounds and ends up accidentally turning them into nuke dogs.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
nicer alternative: patel's temper gets the better of her while she's eating her lunch and reading something that displeases her, and this causes her to get a big wedge of sesame seed bagel stuck in her throat

she dies, slowly, because no one is around to help her

because she's a oval office

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Doing the obvious bit but Priti Patel will definitely try to give the Met prism towers by 2030.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
On the flip side she’s probably quite susceptible to advice to delete system32

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
:vince:

Follow me and I will lead you to victory against GDP.

Kevino07
Oct 16, 2008

fuctifino posted:

This is so loving blatant... lmao. I hope these two are identified.

https://twitter.com/hewitson10/status/1540091868150697984

https://twitter.com/miffythegamer/status/1540096931430637569?s=20&t=pJ_TV5t6nvCxZbJ1nT0tQA

They really aren't sending their best this week

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Jeherrin posted:

So: journalism is out. Prospect seems a bit too tech aligned. IWW seems the closest option so far.

I would have put UX in the tech bracket tbh, the product teams I work in have a mix of UX, UR, Content and that which I’d umbrella then all as ‘tech’ especially when it comes to DDAT frameworks

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Guavanaut posted:

:vince:

Follow me and I will lead you to victory against GDP.

Brotherhood of Nonce.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Looke posted:

I would have put UX in the tech bracket tbh, the product teams I work in have a mix of UX, UR, Content and that which I’d umbrella then all as ‘tech’ especially when it comes to DDAT frameworks

looke whose here to party

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
not sure why QT is still keeping the charade up and isn't just introducing every audience with "and here is the entire local convervative party membership here to deliver their assigned lines at regular intervals"

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

https://twitter.com/JasonGroves1/status/1540097725450125313?t=gXJ2PudjDFWQeooHIJTVzQ&s=19

I'm practicing my heartiest lols and lmaos just in case

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Angepain posted:

not sure why QT is still keeping the charade up and isn't just introducing every audience with "and here is the entire local convervative party membership here to deliver their assigned lines at regular intervals"

Applauding the government handling of the pandemic was surely a tell.