Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

on one hand witcher s2 correctly avoided leaning into being the Jaskier Show What Jaskier Does Memey poo poo in, which was my main worry, but as a consequence this resulted in the show being much more annoyingly dour and not having the same level of tonal balance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

would really prefer at least half of each season be a monster of the week

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

on one hand witcher s2 correctly avoided leaning into being the Jaskier Show What Jaskier Does Memey poo poo in, which was my main worry, but as a consequence this resulted in the show being much more annoyingly dour and not having the same level of tonal balance

yeah it's understandable not wanting to overdo it but the season only really came to life when he showed up again which wasn't until the penultimate episode, lol

Xaris posted:

yea i didnt mean to imply it was bad, just it wasn't as good and more importantly the one thing netflix cares about is all the social media buzz sensational huffpo-buzzfeed-vice-vox media cycles of hype and s2 definitely just went "plunk" as soon as it came out

pretty sure its getting a 3rd anyways but they greenlit it at a time when they were "booming" and now they're busting so it's definitely the last they're making of it regardless of quality

agree 100%

kind of the same thing that happened to mrs maisel too, although that is still heading into a fifth season with seemingly no one watching or talking about it

Laterite has issued a correction as of 23:34 on Jun 23, 2022

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

i say swears online posted:

would really prefer at least half of each season be a monster of the week

absolutely. the bigger picture politics-war-worldbuilding stuff is fine as secondary material, and should be there to provide context for whatever problem geralt is trying to solve at that moment, not as a centerpiece story in and of itself other than perhaps how it relates to ciri's arc.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

every season should be like the second (?) chapter in witcher 2 where geralt has to kill a huge squid monster and you spend most of your time doing quests + research & dealing with local politics to prepare for the final battle

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
witcher season 2 is loving terrible because the idiot writers at netflix think they are better at writing than the guy who wrote the books theyre adapting and they changed fundamental aspects of the world and major character and plot elements, significantly for the worse. its game of thrones if they started loving around in the second season instead of the fourth

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

scary ghost dog posted:

witcher season 2 is loving terrible because the idiot writers at netflix think they are better at writing than the guy who wrote the books theyre adapting and they changed fundamental aspects of the world and major character and plot elements, significantly for the worse. its game of thrones if they started loving around in the second season instead of the fourth
to be fair how is that any different than the first season, which was also really loosely adopted?

also the video games deviated a lot as well and were very very good.

but i will agree netflix has a lot of loving idiot writers

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Check out who stars in this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ive5PsHflUc

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Xaris posted:

to be fair how is that any different than the first season, which was also really loosely adopted?

the first season is also bad but it adapts very little. the third game is the beloved one and it is a direct sequel to the books with a slavish devotion to the canon, and although i prefer the story without its additions, i do appreciate the way it follows up on the many elements from the books that it contains

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Maya Fey posted:

every season should be like the second (?) chapter in witcher 2 where geralt has to kill a huge squid monster and you spend most of your time doing quests + research & dealing with local politics to prepare for the final battle

iirc the second chapter was being trapped in a city besieged by two ghost armies damned to relive a lovely battle forever, except the ghost armies were also the only thing stopping a real army from getting in and wrecking poo poo so you had to figure out solutions to both problems at once via research and politics simultaneously

The squid was earlier and just about collecting magical macguffins. Good rear end witchering regardless.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Xaris posted:

the second season is lazy as poo poo, in the first season they spent the entire season traveling distances that people cover in like a scene or two in the second season because they couldn't be bothered to write a story that made sense in the world they'd already created

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/FredTJoseph/status/1539240245618626560

Lol, how does this have over 150k likes?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

only upper-class liberals post on twitter OP

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

spacemang_spliff posted:

Yeah I need to rewatch Roger Rabbit

I miss the old discovery channel show Movie Magic where they showed how all those special effects were done. My best friend growing up wanted to do special effects in movies but that was before CGI took over everything

Couple pages back, but (iirc) how they came up with jessica rabbit's animations was amazing. They just...filmed a hot lady with big tits walking around in a cocktail dress, and then went through it frame by frame, and made everything jiggle and sway the opposite way they actually did in reality.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

i believe this is the fake warren barbershop guy + satanic bnb guy, who was hired by the sanders 2020 campaign;

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Maybe moon knight shouldn't have sucked

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

Jonny 290 posted:

Couple pages back, but (iirc) how they came up with jessica rabbit's animations was amazing. They just...filmed a hot lady with big tits walking around in a cocktail dress, and then went through it frame by frame, and made everything jiggle and sway the opposite way they actually did in reality.

this post reminded me how thick the actor playing the main private investigator at valiant and valiant was. he's short but insanely big

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

Mr Hootington posted:

Maybe moon knight shouldn't have sucked

was it bad?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

not even my love for Oscar Isaac could force me to finish that series
I was so bored with it I think it broke me out of even trying new marvel properties
I just don't care, I'm free

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
Listen up yt people,

Either you watch this superhero show or you are

L I T E R A L L Y

H I T L E R

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

It wasn't great. Ethan Hawke and Oscar Issac felt wasted. It should have been good, but it was boring

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Xaris posted:

huffbuzzpofeed-vicevox

This is my favorite cyberpunk drug.

drat horror queefs posted:

Listen up yt people,

Either you watch this superhero show or you are

L I T E R A L L Y

H I T L E R

Being dead is staring to give Hitler a lot of good media opinions.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

wb :cool:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Jonny 290 posted:

the first director to do this again in 2022 should win every oscar

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
moon knight had some cool moments and oscar isaac was having fun with the role(s) but overall yeah it was kind of a dour waste.

ms marvel is very charming so far, shame that no one's watching.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Is Ms marvel appropriate for little kids to see

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 15 minutes!

This came up in the politoons thread: basically Disney is trying to set themselves up as the wokest of woke brands, and the alt-right is all too happy to help them in this by dutifully getting incredibly mad at them for casting nonwhite people or putting gay poo poo in superhero slop, because they love getting mad about stupid bullshit all the time

https://twitter.com/GPrime85/status/1539620963154857984

https://twitter.com/GPrime85/status/1538894041085104131

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

mastershakeman posted:

Is Ms marvel appropriate for little kids to see

I guess there's nothing inappropriate, but it's about teenage stuff that little kids might not care about.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

i don't get this one

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation

Casey Finnigan posted:

i don't get this one

yeah I needed it explained to me too

basically there is a gay kiss in the Lightyear movie, and this is a very big deal

someone asked whichever Chris it is that voices Buzz in an interview what he thought of people who would be mad about it, and he said they would die off like dinosaurs, by which he obviously meant that homophobia is a wrong-side-of-history position and is dwindling over time and will continue to do so, but culture warriors like this twitter cartoonist have taken it as a dire threat on the life of this little boy they just made up

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
drat I can't believe the real-life buzz lightyear was gay

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
this little boy, who I guess lives in a third-world country (you can tell by his hat), and is at most eight years old, and owns a Buzz Lightyear toy, which is either from the movie Toy Story (1995), or from the new Lightyear film, which he hates and is very angry about, because it has a gay kiss in it

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
The people who will die off like dinosaurs are the ones who remember the other Buzz Lightyear movie

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buzz_Lightyear_of_Star_Command:_The_Adventure_Begins

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
that cartoon was on tv when I was a kid but I never once even considered watching it

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

it wasn't bad by half, but i wouldnt walk across the street to watch it or nothing

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

show of the era that i would walk across the street to watch (traffic permitting) - Roughnecks: The Starship Troopers Chronicles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMJ7S4iwXSc

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Casey Finnigan posted:

that cartoon was on tv when I was a kid but I never once even considered watching it

It was late era toon Disney, but it wasn't bad.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Mr Hootington posted:

It should have been good, but it was boring

This could be the review of any disney+ show

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

how to identify if your kid's show is about to pop the gently caress off in one easy step! step one:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

quote:

Two episodes, "Conspiracy" and "Inside Job", were rarely seen after 2001.

like pottery