Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Elias_Maluco posted:

Is weird how different is the reception of the Obi Wan show here in the thread compared to what Im seeing outside. In twitter and such Im mostly seeing positive reactions "wow awesome!!! this is real star wars!!!" etc
I havent watched it yet and probably wont so soon but from what Ive been reading about it, you guys are probably right

I've been stressing this a lot, but Obiwan show is the "prestige TV" equivalent of the Sequel Trilogy films and Solo. So when you're seeing this praise, it's coming from Solo fans and/or those weird folks who like both Episode 8 AND Episode 9.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Elias_Maluco posted:

Is weird how different is the reception of the Obi Wan show here in the thread compared to what Im seeing outside. In twitter and such Im mostly seeing positive reactions "wow awesome!!! this is real star wars!!!" etc
I havent watched it yet and probably wont so soon but from what Ive been reading about it, you guys are probably right

I’d say it’s not terrible and I personally enjoyed my time with it.
It has some entertaining moments, some great actors and a couple of fun set pieces. But it’s amateur writing and editing. None of that is going to be enough for a lot of people to have their fun spoiled. It wasn’t for me at least.

I’m sad because the basis of something fantastic was in there.

Maybe 6-6.5 out of 10 or something.
But it’s all dependent on how tolerant you are.

Like I see people complaining about the lightsabers. And I agree, I preferred the old style a lot. But it’s not a dealbreaker to me.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

The last episode was a decently dumb end to a bad series. It has some good aspects, it's easy to imagine how Leia goes from being a senator's daughter to actively smuggling ships to the rebel cells in an infinitely better show, Reva getting clowned on by the Lars was infinitly amusing, and the Grand Inquisitor comes off as the only sane man in the Empire.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

2house2fly posted:

Oh God I agree so much on the sword fights. What made them think this halogen floodlight bullshit would be a good idea?!

I like it in theory. I thought they looked good in the sequels but in Obi wan they’re kinda iffy. Maybe turn down the brightness a bit? Put some white tape over then to diffuse them?

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Randalor posted:

the Grand Inquisitor comes off as the only sane man in the Empire.

He did make a v funny "well okayy it's your call.." face next to Darth

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Ingmar terdman posted:

He did make a v funny "well okayy it's your call.." face next to Darth

The few times he's in the series, he's the voice of reason in a sea of batshit crazy ideas.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

7 years or so between the this fight and the one in Rebels.

Timeline is something like
19 years before ANH - Revenge of the Sith, Bad Batch, Clone Wars S7
14 - Fallen Order
10 - Solo
9 - Kenobi
5 - Rebels starts
1 - Rebels ends
0 - Rogue one, ANH.

19 years but an infinite number of lovely shows that they can shove into that timeline.

How many years pass in-universe between Episode 6 and Episode 7? Even if they discard/retcon the sequel trilogy there's a ton of stuff they can mine from that interim period. Eventually they'll back up a big enough money truck to Sebastian Stan's house for a couple of seasons of "Luke Skywalker, Jedi instructor".

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Mat Cauthon posted:

19 years but an infinite number of lovely shows that they can shove into that timeline.

How many years pass in-universe between Episode 6 and Episode 7? Even if they discard/retcon the sequel trilogy there's a ton of stuff they can mine from that interim period. Eventually they'll back up a big enough money truck to Sebastian Stan's house for a couple of seasons of "Luke Skywalker, Jedi instructor".

I feel like the ST was so negatively received that they're gonna hold off on anything even tenuously related to it for the foreseeable future

Though maybe the Ahsoka show will go hard and she'll run into Captain Phasma at some point I dunno

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

feedmyleg posted:

The Disney era isn't interested in telling stories, it's only interested in filling gaps.

Stuffing gaps with vapid content and merch.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

this sucks in a lot of ways, but the most distracting for me is the braindead use of digital camera shake. they apply this identical "slightly too slow and smooth" camera shake to every single shot... even ones where the camera is 25 feet away and has no reason to be shaking.

Video editing tip: if you have after effects, you can add this exact camera shake to any footage by clicking a single button and typing "wiggle(4,10)." The first number is the speed and the second number is the amount. The only risk is that you need to pick your values carefully or it will look extremely fake and lovely, such as in the $150 million dollar "Obi Wan" Disney television show

edit: argh i think I see why the camera shake looks off... i think they might have put the camera shake on top of edited sequences of clips rather than individual clips, which means that the shake continues in the same direction even when cutting between camera angles. ideally you'd want to apply camera shake to individual shots, so it looks like the shake was captured by those cameras. also of course this type of shake is fully 2d and you don't see the perspective move with the camera. oh well

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jun 23, 2022

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Polo-Rican posted:

Video editing tip: if you have after effects, you can add this exact camera shake to any footage by clicking a single button and typing "wiggle(4,10)." The first number is the speed and the second number is the amount. The only risk is that you need to pick your values carefully or it will look extremely fake and lovely, such as in the $150 million dollar "Obi Wan" Disney television show

Can I get a helmet wobble

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I'm gonna apply "wiggle(-4,10)" to the scene to steady the camera.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Polo-Rican posted:

I'm curious, do you have an example of this digital effect being used well? The only time I've noticed it being digital is, obviously, when it's done poorly. So I don't know when it's a digital effect and when it's Paul Greengrass literally shaking his camera.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Polo-Rican posted:

this sucks in a lot of ways, but the most distracting for me is the braindead use of digital camera shake.

Yeah, this is a distressingly common technique to cover up poor shot design. I've worked on shows where we've gotten pretty far through a sequence and the director realizes that the stuff they shot is feeling kind of static (or they're just getting bored with it after seeing the same footage every day for months) and starts requesting additional camera shake. It usually starts off with just one or two shots that need a bit of extra energy, but then they realize those shots don't cut together with the non-shaky shots next to them, and it cascades to the entire sequence becoming a shaky, blurry mess.

I don't think they would have applied the shake on top of the sequence as a whole, though - unless there's no other VFX in the shot, digital shake is generally applied on a per-shot basis by the individual VFX artists. Though sometimes the filmmakers will ask the VFX artists to exactly match the temp camera shake applied by their editors, so it might be a remnant of that. That's pretty rare though, so maybe a bunch of shots are using the same random seed for their shake, and it's one that happens to have movement in the same direction at the start and end of the shot - something like that probably wouldn't be caught when reviewing shots outside of their sequence context.

thrawn527 posted:

I'm curious, do you have an example of this digital effect being used well? The only time I've noticed it being digital is, obviously, when it's done poorly. So I don't know when it's a digital effect and when it's Paul Greengrass literally shaking his camera.

It's super common - a good rule of thumb is that if the camera is reacting to something digital, the camera shake is also digital. So if a big creature stomps on the ground and shakes the camera, it's digital. Or if a character is standing on top of a vehicle and the camera's being buffeted by the wind, that's also digital because it was probably filmed with a stopped car in a parking lot with a greenscreen.

Or if it looks like the camera's on a dolly or crane, it's probably digital shake as well, since those are specifically designed to provide smooth movement and don't usually have someone drumming on the camera to provide shake (unless the director is JJ Abrams).

Robot Style fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jun 23, 2022

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

thrawn527 posted:

One of the Deadpool 2 guys made his camera shake presets for that film freely downloadable.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

Planet Terror

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

A wheezing, dying (but somehow unkillable), shambling frankenstein monster that used to be human and full of promise but as its original components wither and die it gets swapped out with more and more artificial replacement parts by a fairly incompetent (but equally unstopabble) empire. Occasionally it reveals a flicker of its original humanity but honestly you just hope the next generation can finally kill it

And then you have darth vader who kinda apologized before he died at least

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Halloween Jack posted:

Is there any explanation for why Vader didn't kill Reva.

Spinoffs and cameos in spinoffs

Halloween Jack posted:

or why Kenobi didn't kill Vader?
Because Darth Vader has to be alive for the movies

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Calaveron posted:

Because Darth Vader has to be alive for the movies

Hayden Vader isn't as big as Prowse Vader, ergo we need to find Bigger Vader at some point, so Kenobi could've killed Vader without breaking canon

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Obi-Wan's rationale for sparing Vader is explained when he talks to Reva: by sparing their enemies they honour the dead rather than becoming evil in the name of revenge or whatever. I prefer the post on this forum somewhere that said in the Revenge Of The Sith novelisation Obi-Wan is characterised as flowing with the Force and letting it act through him, and the Force was simply saying not to kill Vader at that moment so he didn't

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Were they honoring the dead when they popped two fully staffed death stars? That's a stupid rationalization for why they didn't kill Vader. Would've been better if obiwan had said I will not kill you the force still needs you for something

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018
Have Vader be at KEnobi's mercy until suprise there's a more consequential quigon cameo

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

2house2fly posted:

Obi-Wan's rationale for sparing Vader is explained when he talks to Reva: by sparing their enemies they honour the dead rather than becoming evil in the name of revenge or whatever. I prefer the post on this forum somewhere that said in the Revenge Of The Sith novelisation Obi-Wan is characterised as flowing with the Force and letting it act through him, and the Force was simply saying not to kill Vader at that moment so he didn't

Well yeah, that makes way more sense than having the spirit of Batman and the Comics Code Authority suddenly swell within him.

josh04 fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jun 24, 2022

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Any movie where the hero offs a dozen thugs before sparing the bad guy at the climax is a display of cowardice. Ra's Al Ghul does not deserve more mercy than his security guards.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Halloween Jack posted:

Is there any explanation for why Vader didn't kill Reva,

So before the show came out someone leaked the entire show plot episode by episode (I even read it) and it was 100% exactly what happened on the show. So it was definitely genuine. The Sole difference I can remember was that there was a shuffling around at the end where Reva goes after Luke, after she fails/is redeemed, she reports to Vader and lies that she tracked down and killed Obi Wan. Vader then kills her because he knows she’s lying and it’s all “Now he can’t hunt Obi Wan because without Reva the trail is cold, thus by letting herself be killed Reva defeated Vader.”. Now this strangely didn’t happen on screen despite the leaks being otherwise 100% correct, so what happened? Remember that twitter drama about racists harassing Revas actor? How Disney said they reshot the ending in response? I think that’s exactly what happened. Revas ending was awkwardly reshot at the last second and replaced with that nonsensical scene where Palpatine calls Vader and just says “nah don’t bother finding the most dangerous man in the galaxy just give up.”

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

BiggestBatman posted:

Have Vader be at KEnobi's mercy until suprise there's a more consequential quigon cameo

Goddamn that would've been so much better

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

BiggestBatman posted:

Qui-Gon speaking to Obi-Wan through the force, telling him to not kill Anakin would've been neat, while Anakin/Vader is unaware...powerful stuff. Instead we basically got the force ghost equivalent of "wazzzup" lmao.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
I liked kenobi

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

RC Cola posted:

I liked kenobi

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

BiggestBatman posted:

drat that would've owned. They could've even used the "force ghost grabbing a lightsaber" concept from the original episode 9 script.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I've been stressing this a lot, but Obiwan show is the "prestige TV" equivalent of the Sequel Trilogy films and Solo. So when you're seeing this praise, it's coming from Solo fans and/or those weird folks who like both Episode 8 AND Episode 9.

Last Jedi is good though.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

BiggestBatman posted:

Dexter Jettster crashes his podracer into Obi-Wan and tells him not to kill what he hates but save what he loves?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Danger posted:

SMG is talking about people who like BOTH TLJ and TROS which is odd but I'm sure they exist

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I would have probably been more forgiving of the show if they had awkwardly brought back Dexter Jettster but ignoring the fun parts of the prequels seems like the current MO so :shrug:

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Captain Jesus posted:

Instead they have the duel on a barren greenscreen planet.

a barren greenscreen planet that we can't even see.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Vinylshadow posted:

Hayden Vader isn't as big as Prowse Vader, ergo we need to find Bigger Vader at some point, so Kenobi could've killed Vader without breaking canon

Clearly Anakin Vader gets killed in Obi-Wan Season 2: Twobi-Wan, and gets replaced by Prowse Vader. Then there will be a second season of Book of Boba Fett consisting entirely of flashbacks set between ANH and ESB, explaining how Boba helped bring back Anakin Vader.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Schwarzwald posted:

I'm gonna apply "wiggle(-4,10)" to the scene to steady the camera.

The funny thing is After Effects seeds its RNG solely with the wiggling layer's index number by default, so if they didn't set a custom RNG seed this could potentially actually work.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

It probably took all the restraint they had to keep themselves from putting Grogu somewhere in the crowd on Jabiiim.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Danger posted:

Ha! Good one!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Agreed, it's pretty good for a Star Wars film. One of the good ones.