Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean I wouldn’t doubt that’s why they released them together, because nothing really happens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

BUT IT LIVES AGAIN!!!

Edit: knowing the release schedule would be great. Imagine if we got it biweekly!

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jun 23, 2022

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

I thought the art was fine, but it was a bit sparse content-wise. Could have been worse. Perhaps we will be blessed with a more regular release schedule now though.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I'd say it was inevitable that the first couple of Post Miura chapters would be a slightly rough transition period, it'll probably even out after a couple more

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I've heard rumblings that the next chapter is early July

And yeah. This is exactly what was going to happen. There was never any way that 364 was a coherent ending of any sort for the story.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Berserk's always been a slow-burn in terms of plot, so I'm not too surprised. We did learn some things, so that's something.

The art's fine, though the girls are a bit uncanny (though that was true for Miura, too). Their faces have become increasingly doll-like over the years.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bad Seafood posted:

Berserk's always been a slow-burn in terms of plot, so I'm not too surprised. We did learn some things, so that's something.

The art's fine, though the girls are a bit uncanny (though that was true for Miura, too). Their faces have become increasingly doll-like over the years.

I think they got better by the end of the last chapter, though Farnese looks almost...not sinister, but like she's expecting something.

Griffith is dead on.

Also speaking of

Guts did cut a strand of Griffith's hair. The prick's not untouchable. Guts just has to figure out how to do that consistently and purposefully.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

What the gently caress I went into that thinking nothing was gonna happen but a bunch of cool poo poo happens and then mother loving ZODD shows up, I wouldn't classify that as nothing :psyduck:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Burkion posted:

I think they got better by the end of the last chapter, though Farnese looks almost...not sinister, but like she's expecting something.

Griffith is dead on.

Also speaking of

Guts did cut a strand of Griffith's hair. The prick's not untouchable. Guts just has to figure out how to do that consistently and purposefully.

I went back and reread it, I didn't think it was that he cut a strand of hair, but more just that griffith is wispy and it was just an after effect, probably due to the Brand protecting Griffith.

Good soup! posted:

What the gently caress I went into that thinking nothing was gonna happen but a bunch of cool poo poo happens and then mother loving ZODD shows up, I wouldn't classify that as nothing :psyduck:

It's the equivalent of goku powering up for an episode while stuff happens around him

also it seems that Caska got her memories back, which will be interesting later

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Burkion posted:

Griffith is dead on.

Also speaking of

I've always figured that Reborn Griffith when in "human" form rather than Femto is probably like most Apostles where they're slightly more vulnerable in their human form but you're incredibly unlikely to deal any truly meaningful damage before they change into their true form, just that since Griffith is a Godhand member those aspects are multiplied by a hundredfold or more, or to put it another way I've never really doubted Guts having the ability to potentially harm Griffith once he obtained the Berserker Armor, just whether he'll have the opportunity to do so in a way that matters

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
My guess is Griffith's invincible, but the moon child isn't. Guts can kill Griffith, but he's gotta look his own son in the eye to do it.

Burkion posted:

Farnese is usually the one who gets it worst - Casca's mostly fine - but that last shot of Schierke (and the one where she's screaming) really stuck out to me.

The contrast between her neck and her face is really jarring.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Would giraffe necks from that Ballroom anime be worse than this? I'm not sure

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
That art is far from bad and it looks recognizably Berserk but it definitely feels like someone else's art.

As far as "nothing happens", far from nothing happens, and it's not like Miura didn't pull a chapter that was nothing but soldiers marching with no dialogue during the Boat Era.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Neo_Crimson posted:

That art is far from bad and it looks recognizably Berserk but it definitely feels like someone else's art.

As far as "nothing happens", far from nothing happens, and it's not like Miura didn't pull a chapter that was nothing but soldiers marching with no dialogue during the Boat Era.

I remember the giant wars

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

To say "nothing happens" I think this is actually much faster than Miura would play that out.

And of course the art looks a bit off and downgraded, it is.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
yeah idk what people mean with nothing's happened. it's common in berserk that after a big bomb drops a chapter is dedicated to showing how the characters and the world around reacts.

this reminded me a bit of chapter 306, the one that happens after the BIG UNIVERSAL SQUISH that just goes around showing how the world around has changed.

sans the double page spread because we don't want another mangaka's heart exploding

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

The story feels true, the art obviously isn’t as sharp as it would presumably be under Miura but I think we all figured that. It will get better and I believe in the team.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The art is honestly a lot better in the aggregate than I thought it would be. There are a few panels where things are noticeably off, but on the whole I actually think it's pretty good and a testament to how well Miura trained Gaga in his general style. If nothing else they definitely nailed the raw emotion of this scene that I would have expected from Guts and Casca.

As for "nothing happening", it might not be mentioned outright in the story but it's kind of a big deal that Guts' sword is incapable of hurting Griffith, since we've learned it's been blessed (cursed?) with the ability to slay apostles because Guts has killed so many with it. Also motherfucking Zodd is BACK.

It also sounds like the update pace is going to quicken significantly now so they can wrap things up, for what that's worth.

e. We are absolutely gonna get another round of Zodd vs Skull Knight in the upcoming chapters as well.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Only art thing that bothered me was on the final spread with Zodd I felt like the reaction panels were out of place and Miura would’ve let the spread stand on its own

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Am I the only one that thinks Griffith and Zodd are projections from some other creature? I don't think they are actually there, Guts is fighting a hallucination

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
The Evil_Genius release with torrents and online readers is out, for those interested.

Paneling and layout seeks to emulate Miura's work but isn't as good imo, though there's probably a healthy dose of confirmation bias in that observation. It's serviceable, and that's more than anyone could ask for!

freelop posted:

Am I the only one that thinks Griffith and Zodd are projections from some other creature? I don't think they are actually there, Guts is fighting a hallucination

Hallucinations that have to physically travel through the world tree's branches (as witnessed by Puck) and are strong enough to evaporate Casca's amulet necklace thing and almost slurp up Schierke's soul? At this point that would make the creature more dangerous than Femto anyway.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Thanks Lord Mune and all your Evil Genius crew. You guys really are just awesome and I hope you know how much this fandom appreciates your output, even if they're not in a forum/place where they can communicate that to you.

Honestly though, it's actually just wild that you can look at these new chapters of Berserk and just how well drawn they are and think "... Miura's was better" because this still looks amazing, in actual terms.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

They're just getting going, there is more Berserk, I am happy. Some of it was a little rough, but that's a okay by me. It's still very very nice to look at.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I wonder how long the series will take to reach its conclusion. Are we looking at 2-3 years? More?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I think I read that it's in the next issue again, and then considering that they said there's 6 chapters to the new arc, I imagine those chapters are in actual full production and locked in in terms of storyboarding, text etc and the rest is completing them.

On a fortnightly schedule, I think 2-3 years with beelining to an ending as Koji Mori suggested, without expanding beyond what he knows is probably a bit too quick but not impossible? Certainly feels like the story flow from here could be "figure out how to make Griffith vulnerable, assault Falconia, get to the Godhand?" and that the endgame is imminent. 5 years on fortnightly would definitely finish it, but monthly, maybe not?

Miura had said that the first serious confrontation with Griffith was imminent shortly before his death so I guess that is this.
One of Studio Gaga on twitter also said that Mori told them the outline, it felt like it definitely came from Miura to boot. So if the worst should pass and Mori passes before the end of Berserk too, the secret "is out", so to speak and there are enough persons there to get it to end now.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jun 23, 2022

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
Sure the art isn't 100% up to the quality when Miura was in charge but it's closer than I had anticipated - what I'm really missing the most is his panel composition. I often struggle with action scenes in manga but Miura had such a clear vision of how to frame everything that I rarely felt that way with Berserk. In these two issues I can see the artists have a ways to go before they can really do justice to his genius. Praying that they get into a better groove as they move forward.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

It's obvious that each of the artists on studio gaga are slightly better at copying miura's style, and it's clear that his friend is not drawing any of it, but being a project manager of sorts (because his art style is not even close) because of how inconsistent it was.

Allegedly, mirua did 99% of the art for his team, which is probably why it took so long, if the rest of the studio is doing minor panels while he works on the two page OCD spreads of amazing detail. He probably comes back over their work to further nitpick, based on that tweet I saw yesterday

Still, that's not a dig, but impressive how adequately they can emulate his style that only us big loving nerdfans can tell immediately. I'm fine with the quality drop (that will likely get better with time) if it means berserk gets off the Hunter x Hunter schedule it's been on for 20 years.

Like someone else said, it's not just the uncanny Valley aspect, even miura's art changed with time, it's the framing too and the.... Camera angles, for lack of a better word right now

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

the de-bimbofication of berserk

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
:hist101: Woo! I think it looks good enough. I noticed mostly the lack of "background" detail, seeing that ant on that mushroom on that fifty third tree from the left.

Very excited as the story unfolds though. I was in the camp of "at least give us the remaining notes about the conclusion of the story intended by the author", and this is better than that, so for now I'm onboard.

It feels like Griffith is actually there, but capable of moving as Femto did in Black Swordsman, moving out of the way of a cannonball . I do have to ask, though: Griffith pulled a self-preening on the hill of swords, "Oh I just want to find out if I feel anything". Well, Rickert just bitch slapped him, so maybe he's just back to say, "okay I feel something, if you hate me come get me".

And Zodd... because Griffith is naked without him.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
I suppose it's inevitable that something will happen to fairy island :ohdear:

Excellent work, LordMune :)

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I think the art is pretty good and if I didn't know any better I probably wouldnt realize it wasnt drawn by Miura at least at a glance

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

My feeling was the art looks very off model, nothing has the sense of the solid construction I expect from Berserk. It's like they took a lot of surface cue details from Miura's art without understanding the underlying forms. This could be a result of these guys usually not drawing the base forms of the character over the years and instead doing the detailing on layouts Miura had already final'd.

It's something, though. I'll have to consider it in the eventual aggregate once there's more to work through.

But its annoying, when the 1997 animators or the film animators could draw Guts and Zodd on model that the new artists for the manga cant.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jun 24, 2022

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

It's honestly better than I expected, but while I don't understand comics or drawing enough to explain why this is the case, it does also feel less immersive to me than Miura's work did.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Ccs posted:

My feeling was the art looks very off model, nothing has the sense of the solid construction I expect from Berserk. It's like they took a lot of surface cue details from Miura's art without understanding the underlying forms. This could be a result of these guys usually not drawing the base forms of the character over the years and instead doing the detailing on layouts Miura had already final'd.

It's something, though. I'll have to consider it in the eventual aggregate once there's more to work through.

But its annoying, when the 1997 animators or the film animators could draw Guts and Zodd on model that the new artists for the manga cant.

If anything they know just as well as we do about how it looks off. I hope they get the hang of it. Miura certainly thought they could pull it off if he wanted them to practice the form by being in charge of illustration for Duranki with the intent of eventually taking on more of the work load on Berserk.

Lamebot fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jun 24, 2022

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Ccs posted:

The art is fine

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
Given the situation it's obviously unreasonable to expect no detectable change and I'm glad fans are leaning mostly towards being accepting while still making perfectly fair critiques. Overall I like it and it's certainly making the effort but those neck muscles really do stand out, even from just an initial glace. If that's the most notable bit of awkwardness though than it's hard to complain. This must have been scary as hell for the crew to put out so well done them.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
They did a good job aside from a few quirks like the neck. I thought Zodd looked very good.

And yeah I thought the plot progressed quite a lot by Berserk standards.

Chas McGill fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jun 24, 2022

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah I don’t really get the arts complaints, it’s fine. Nothing terribly interesting happened but that is something else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I also think the art looks perfectly good for the incredibly complex style they're trying to imitate. Actual construction and anatomy are both about the same, with the biggest stylistic change being that Miura made a lot more use of mixed media in his art. He used ink and screen tones like other mangaka, but there's an extensive amount of pencilwork and what looks like watercolor wash in his later stuff, both of which are really hard to duplicate and integrate convincingly, especially if he never showed anyone his full process.