Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Josuke Higashikata posted:

she also just forgets she has the force for a while so that the regular humans have a chance of defending themselves for the extremely contrived drama.

like considering she's in a rough state because vader darth entirely clowned her with the force alone, you'd think she'd be like "i'll just take this pole off this farmer so he can't stab me"

i think the stupidest thing about obi going to see leia is how he just travels the entire galaxy to spend 5 minutes on a helipad with them??? he just saved the dude's daughter, they could have him be invited in for food, a hot shower (he lives in a cave, i think he'd enjoy one), maybe some inconspicuous clothes, other supplies for living in a cave, gently caress maybe even take some poo poo back to make luke's life a bit better in his lovely little house.

jimmy smits really did luke dirty by saying "we always wanted to adopt a daughter... the boy can go live in actual destitute poverty lmao" in ep3
A very big problem with this episode is that the entire Reva/Tatooine stuff has zero tension. We know none of the characters that she runs into will die. I also knew that there was essentially zero chance that two moisture farmers were going to do much damage to Reva, even with her injuries. Then you think Obi-Wan is going to show up just in time to fight Reva, but no, everything's already done by the time he gets there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

FlamingLiberal posted:

A very big problem with this episode is that the entire Reva/Tatooine stuff has zero tension. We know none of the characters that she runs into will die. I also knew that there was essentially zero chance that two moisture farmers were going to do much damage to Reva, even with her injuries. Then you think Obi-Wan is going to show up just in time to fight Reva, but no, everything's already done by the time he gets there.

Sadly no reveal that Beru was a secret Jedi all along

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

pretty funny Sheev scene "uhhh ... just going over the report here bud..."

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

That's the problem with the whole season. Literally the only person who could die was Reva, and the show made it clear in Episode 5 that they weren't going to do that. So nobody was ever at risk, nobody died. All the show can do is tell us something about the characters and it doesn't. In other words:

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Aunt Beru pulls out a fuckin assault rifle, then Sheev Palpatine personally shows up to say "everything that happened here was really loving stupid, and we will never speak of it again".

The only reason this show was watchable was because I have an hour to cook and eat anyway in the evenings, it comes out on different days to The Orville and The Boys, and Ewan McGregor is an absolutely wonderful actor who for some reason is not done with Star Wars.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
i'm not sure it's a good idea to take a franchise based on 1930's Flash Gordon serials too seriously.

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

Could have not shown Reva at all till the end of the episode and then mirrored the Old Luke / Ben Solo bed time murder misunderstanding from Last Jedi except she disappears before Luke wakes up and sees her. Accomplishes same arc w/o a pointless low stakes action scene and has another "it's like visual poetry" thing for the nerds

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

evobatman posted:

Anyone else experience absolutely horrible picture quality throughout the whole show, but especially in the last episode?

The amount of rocks Obi-Wan levitated up behind him was already comical but the fact it was a terribly grainy and compressed looking shot heightened it.

As someone else mentioned, I don't think the PS5 version of Disney+ is all that good.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Vintersorg posted:

:lol:

Also, I guess Star Wars fans are pretty easy to please.

obi wan x maul final showdown was the best duel no questions permitted.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Spookydonut posted:

no questions needed this is correct

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
Don't worry Reva is a good guy now :) Too bad about that lady's hands :(

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Antifa Spacemarine posted:

Don't worry Reva is a good guy now :) Too bad about that lady's hands :(

Obi-wan can hardly call her out in that regard.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

josh04 posted:

Oh yeah definitely with the similarity to a video game, I was just wondering if I'd forgotten a scene where Obi-wan tells someone he's had his force-phone-line disconnected, to which the answer is: maybe?

Ironically, this is totally in line with one of Lucas' earlier drafts of Star Wars where Obi-Wan's hesitance to help Luke didn't come from age, but because Vader stole his j/o crystal and he was no longer able to charge his Force energy:

Star Wars, Third Draft posted:

BEN
A Jedi’s power is measured by the amount of the Force that is stored within him, and I have little of the Force left in me.

LUKE
How can you store an energy field within you?

BEN
When a creature dies, the force it generated remains. The Force is all around us. It can be collected and transmitted through the use of a Kiber crystal. It’s the only way to amplify the power of the Force within you.

LUKE
Don’t you have a Kiber crystal?

BEN
I had one, but it was taken at the battle of Condawn…

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Spookydonut posted:

What one was that? One of the cartoon?

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

FlamingLiberal posted:

I was kind of hoping they were going to use a slugthrower

https://twitter.com/rprequelmemes/status/1243882412549038080

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Unless the slug is a few centimeters wide then what should happen is that it's vaporized harmlessly.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

It really does feel that the stormtroopers stationed with inquisitors for the sole purpose of hunting Jedi should have been provided with better tools to deal with said Jedi.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Obi-wan notably disintegrates an entire boulder in this episode.

Robot Style posted:

Ironically, this is totally in line with one of Lucas' earlier drafts of Star Wars where Obi-Wan's hesitance to help Luke didn't come from age, but because Vader stole his j/o crystal and he was no longer able to charge his Force energy:

See, giving Obi-wan the j/o crystal backstory would have brought this right back round into that late-60s spirituality bullshit that screams "star war".

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Totally - the Force is heavily influenced by the writing of Carlos Castaneda, even going as far as to steal Yoda's "luminous beings" bit from one of his books, and naming Obi-Wan after Castaneda's Don Juan character.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
After liking the first two episodes and increasingly despising the following three episodes, I loved the finale. All of the emotional beats landed and a lot of the action was good.

There were a couple of dumb things (send some TIEs or whatever after the transport; use the force, Reva) but those didn't hamper my experience at all.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It really does feel that the stormtroopers stationed with inquisitors for the sole purpose of hunting Jedi should have been provided with better tools to deal with said Jedi.

We even got to see Purge Troopers and they were never used.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

well they did it ladies and gentlemen. They explained how leia got a blaster holster. We spent decades pondering that mystery and the good boys and girls of the mouse company finally solved it.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I think they're just foreshadowing her involvement in the Rebellion tbh

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

I have been a frequent and vocal critic of this show but the thing with the holster was fine. It was just a symbol of her becoming warrior/princess. It didn't strike me as being a specific holster. :shrug:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Disney-era Star Wars has become so fixated on the Origin of Things that people naturally come to expect it even when it's just a normal character beat.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

The holster will be prominently featured in the Young Leia series, only on Disney+ next Christmas.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

its absolutely a little ref for the epic nerds. they cut to a wide shot of her dressed pretty much how she dresses in ANH. why would you give this show of all shows the benefit of the doubt in this situation.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Farm Frenzy posted:

its absolutely a little ref for the epic nerds. they cut to a wide shot of her dressed pretty much how she dresses in ANH. why would you give this show of all shows the benefit of the doubt in this situation.

Her ANH outfit is a long, flowing robe with a metallic belt and white boots. The outfit she's wearing at the end of Obi-wan is shorter, stiffer/less flowing, has pants, brown boots and a brown belt.

It's closer to Luke's ANH outfit than Leia's.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

https://twitter.com/OsheaJacksonJr/status/1531717286024728577?s=20&t=RBM_2nvJ0S4HVyv6jglzDA

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

thrawn527 posted:

I was wondering this, too. Like, even when Vader insisted they follow Obi-Wan, I kept waiting for the Inquisitor to say, "Can we at least send our poo poo ton of TIEs after the transport ship? No? Okay."

Yeah, I thought that was dumb too but look at the Inquisitor's facial expression even when he's defocused, you can see him grimace like "Well, you can't say I didn't warn you" and the Imperial Navy at this point knows at this point it's not really worth arguing with the weirdo in the black mask so gently caress it.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I forgot about this tweet. He didn't do poo poo! Or maybe it got butchered in the editing bay, lmao.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

As far as I can tell his only job was constantly telling Obi-Wan that they didn't have enough time to repair the hyperdrive instead of, you know, actually shutting up and helping to fix it himself

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
I think it's inferred he's gonna go help kickstart the Rebellion with the little sect he has, but yeah, not the best character.

Also Between this and Ahsoka in Rebels, Vader really needs to rethink the material his helmet is made of.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I think it's inferred he's gonna go help kickstart the Rebellion with the little sect he has, but yeah, not the best character.

Also Between this and Ahsoka in Rebels, Vader really needs to rethink the material his helmet is made of.

I feel like this is what they told him, at least

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

This gives me the same concerned feel as when you think about how you can be disheveled but not heveled.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Personally, I've been twice sheveled, to become disheveled.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Vintersorg posted:

This is a rotten opinion. Taika makes some loving excellent movies. Tell me you only watch superhero movies without telling me. Have you seen Wilderpeople? Jojo Rabbit? Or the series Our Flag Means Death?

Probably not.

Taika Wars has immense potential to be good.

jojo rabbit loving sucked. abysmal movie with an actually offensive view of nazi antisemitism and the holocaust

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I’m glad we’ve now seen almost all the OT characters as little kids

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I sense the hand of late alteration in that one guy's line "We could end this entire network of the rebellion now!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Helmets are super useless in Star Wars unless they're made of beskar. poo poo, Tala was able to strangle a Stormtrooper through his helmet. How does that even work!