Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Found it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Got a question for the meme artists: the people who make a thing, and then see it go on to be successful Out There.
I made a mock-up "field guide to the small inconspicuous greeny-browny-grey birds of Australia," and posted it to a photography group.
This stupid little picture's got thousands of likes and shares and stuff, and is now out there on twitter; and I know it's deeply silly, but I can't help but feel kind of proud of this microscopic speck of validation. And the comments are really lovely. But I also feel weird; it's a creation of mine out there, and people are, well, re posting it and stuff, and it's not theirs.
What do I do with these emotions? How do I navigate the complex terrain of artistic integrity in a world where validation is as simple as clicking a thumb icon? How do I separate myself from what I create- and, indeed, should I?
I'm not being ironic either, I'm having a mild existential crisis from a fb post with 6k likes aaaaa

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Tree Bucket posted:

Got a question for the meme artists: the people who make a thing, and then see it go on to be successful Out There.
I made a mock-up "field guide to the small inconspicuous greeny-browny-grey birds of Australia," and posted it to a photography group.
This stupid little picture's got thousands of likes and shares and stuff, and is now out there on twitter; and I know it's deeply silly, but I can't help but feel kind of proud of this microscopic speck of validation. And the comments are really lovely. But I also feel weird; it's a creation of mine out there, and people are, well, re posting it and stuff, and it's not theirs.
What do I do with these emotions? How do I navigate the complex terrain of artistic integrity in a world where validation is as simple as clicking a thumb icon? How do I separate myself from what I create- and, indeed, should I?
I'm not being ironic either, I'm having a mild existential crisis from a fb post with 6k likes aaaaa

Not exactly a meme-lord here, but I have a created a few things that have gotten big. Ultimately... don't worry about it. Let people love or hate it, it's out there now and out of your control. Get a pizza and some beer, and chill.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

poust burd

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Warbird posted:

poust burd

:justpost:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Warbird posted:

poust burd

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Wow, I forgot about Li'l Dicky... what a meteoric rise and fall.

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

Did he do something or did people just stop caring? I remember seeing his YouTube raps ages ago and this is the first I've heard about him in years

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Stolen. Mine now. Should've made an nft.

E: solid burd meme

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

great big cardboard tube posted:

Did he do something or did people just stop caring? I remember seeing his YouTube raps ages ago and this is the first I've heard about him in years

He's still doing his TV show, which I think has been quite successful. I think it's already been optioned for a third season. Maybe he's just gonna concentrate on that if his rap career isn't making it.

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

Well that doesn't sound like a meteoric rise and fall at all

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Someone explain how a meteor rises

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Data Graham posted:

It hits a trampoline

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Tree Bucket posted:

It's a good bird post, you should closely follow its progress through the internet and you should consider every single like, share or positive comment as a comment about you personally and, indeed, your very soul which you have bared for the world. You deserve it :)

voiceless anal fricative has a new favorite as of 01:59 on Jun 24, 2022

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Data Graham posted:

If you're in Australia it looks like it's going up

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Lol I sent that to my dad a week ago

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Data Graham posted:

Skims the atmosphere enough to glow but not enough to appreciably slow down and just keeps going?

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.

great big cardboard tube posted:

Well that doesn't sound like a meteoric rise and fall at all

I know a lot of people like me thought he was really charming right up until he did an unironic collab with Chris Brown where he fawns all over the guy. This is long, long, long after he beat the poo poo out of Rihanna.

I've never watched it, nor a thing since.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

had to think about whether I posted this one because it came from an account that often stigmatises sex work as some sort of dumb supposedly "Marxist" point, but I think in isolation it's a funny meme about performative online white leftism

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I seem to remember that wasn't a drag show it was a play or something.

Why they just happened to have a large number of frocks at the coastal battery I do not know.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Why they just happened to have a large number of frocks at the coastal battery I do not know.

It’s the kind of English performance that’s basically a drag show just considered normatively “acceptable”

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh right yes it could be a panto.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

ILL Machina posted:

Stolen. Mine now. Should've made an nft.

E: solid burd meme

I was a fool to not jump aboard the NFT train. A fool.

bike tory posted:

It's a good bird post, you should closely follow its progress through the internet and you should consider every single like, share or positive comment as a comment about you personally and, indeed, your very soul which you have bared for the world. You deserve it :)

Nothing matches the giddy thrill of a purple forums posts though

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

OwlFancier posted:

What's the difference?

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

Hey man Milo & Otis is still my favorite old movie.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Ringo Star Get posted:

Never read about its production then

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
As I recall, the play was actually written by their navigation guys to commemorate the printing of a new edition of maps . It was called "Much ado about northing"

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ringo Star Get posted:

That's the one with the really really long extended scenes of closeup animal birth right?

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

The Bloop posted:

That's the one with the really really long extended scenes of closeup animal birth right?

That and throwing cats off of cliffs....

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

OwlFancier posted:

Oh right yes it could be a panto.

looks like a dress rehearsal

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Hyperlynx posted:

What's the difference?

Probably the makeup. Those fellas just don't know how to do a killer cat eye line. And their eyebrow game? Disaster.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
It's so true.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Tree Bucket posted:

Nothing matches the giddy thrill of a purple forums posts though

Purple forums posts are good, but a purple forums banner? :discourse:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Tree Bucket posted:

You simply sit back and enjoy that people like something you made like

I get that when someone quotes me and it's not to yell at me

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/516189902065500160/989033619068686376/8e58dd9ef894315d5648e12147468421.mp4

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Part and parcel with meme culture is that the participation fee is you can’t claim ownership of anything even if you create it.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Data Graham posted:

Part and parcel with meme culture is that the participation fee is you can’t claim ownership of anything even if you create it.

That sucks!! I was kind of hoping there'd be some means of obtaining all the advantages of a system while paying none of the costs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Its me, I am meme culture