Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Claude having limited power to raise troops from among the Alliance lords leading to him relying more on mercenaries like the player, Shamir and Leonie (and Raphael I guess technically but he's more like an old school friend along for the ride) is a good, well-grounded part of the world. It's basically the reason real lords had to rely on hiring professionals over raising their own armies, and it fits Claude's leadership style.

The two years Shez spends basically couch surfing the Alliance while Claude tries to keep them around in case of trouble down the road are kind of fun to imagine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
FYI for digital purchase folks, I'm now seeing multiple sites saying the game will most likely unlock tonight at 12AM EST/9PM PST for people in the US. Tried to find stuff for UK/Europe but nobody's listing anything specific that I could find.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Sydin posted:

FYI for digital purchase folks, I'm now seeing multiple sites saying the game will most likely unlock tonight at 12AM EST/9PM PST for people in the US. Tried to find stuff for UK/Europe but nobody's listing anything specific that I could find.

Probably around midnight, hopefully.

Also, I looked through the full datamine and (SPOILERS IN REGARDS TO CHARACTERS AND CLASSES!) the only character exclusive movesets appear to be the ones for the three lords + Shez + Byleth. Saint and Death Knight replace Mortal Savant and Dark Knight for the repective characters using those classes, so it's likely that those classes use the movesets for the classes they replace, rather than have exclusive movesets for themselves.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Nintendo games are always 11pm Central (the correct time zone), big third party releases are sometimes that (like Triangle Strategy) and sometimes 2am Central (like SMTV)

Anything smaller and it’s a complete crapshoot

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Has there been any more info on how the weapon system will work? Namely will topsy turvy return? Because having that and the freeform class system, suddenly Eagles glut of mages turns into a major strength.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Eimi posted:

Has there been any more info on how the weapon system will work? Namely will topsy turvy return? Because having that and the freeform class system, suddenly Eagles glut of mages turns into a major strength.

Invert Physical/Magical as a weapon skill was a thing in the demo, you know.

I haven't seen it on weapons other than tomes yet though.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Folt The Bolt posted:

Invert Physical/Magical as a weapon skill was a thing in the demo, you know.

I haven't seen it on weapons other than tomes yet though.

I... think I might have a non-tome with it? Let me check.

EDIT: Yeah, Gauntlets with it, though Zulily Zoetrope was quicker than I.

Also I have some level two effects on a few things hm.

McTimmy fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jun 23, 2022

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I found a lance with it. Also a bow that inverted str/def and mag/res.

There's a lot of wacky weapon effects in the demo alone. Presumably we'll get some way to mess with them further when we get to the blacksmith in the full version.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'm bad at experimenting so has anyone tried different classes on the Black Eagles? I'd like to have a team that isn't half Mages but I'm not sure what else I could do with them.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Blaze Dragon posted:

I'm bad at experimenting so has anyone tried different classes on the Black Eagles? I'd like to have a team that isn't half Mages but I'm not sure what else I could do with them.

Bow Hubert's absurdly great at spreading dark spikes and keeping dude's in the air.
I had a lot more success with Myrm Dorothea since you can really angle to hit her notes with how Myrm works. Thief and Merc should also be good but I was out of seals.
Manuela makes a great peg because thundershocked synergizes shockingly well with Peg's aerial prowess.
Linhardt... just doesn't have a good feel. Maybe once Easy Breezy levels up it'll be better.
Monica also feels that problem though her second passive is good synergy with mage anyway though sword-fighting is fine since she gets multiple element-sweeps.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I know this isn't what you wanted, but Edelgard also makes a solid mage, because her fire ability gives a huge range buff to the mage's YYX strong attack.

For non-make stuff, I made Hubert a cavalier and gave him the Scythe of Sariel and big sweeping attacks are really good for triggering his unique ability. If you let his spikes get big enough, they'll air juggle the targets, which lets you absolutely shred their guard with the cavalier class attact.

I also made Manuela a pegasus rider and she's ok, zipping across the map with her lightning field and shock buzzing all the enemies is fun, but I dunno if it's particularly useful. E: Well, apparently it is! I'll have to give her another spin, maybe reroll her stats because she got garbage offenses on my file right now.

Someone posted a video of thief monica and apparently she gets a bonkers combat art that synergizes really well with her shockwaves.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jun 23, 2022

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I know this isn't what you wanted, but Edelgard also makes a solid mage, because her fire ability gives a huge range buff to the mage's YYX strong attack.

You mean YYYX (C4) because that's the Fire attack.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

How do the elements and elemental effects work in this game, anyway? Is it all just "creates an AoE when they land after being knocked airborne?"

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
It’s out in my timezone (gmt+1) so assume midnight release in your own time zone

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Deltasquid posted:

It’s out in my timezone (gmt+1) so assume midnight release in your own time zone
Same for me too, I just got the game up and running!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
GMT and it's not out.

I am unbelievably mad.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
So uh, move over Edelgard/Dimitri/Rhea we have new characters who are gonna be central to the discourse

Story spoilers for a few chapters past the demo

Was not expecting Sothis as a villain trying to wrest control of Byleth's body. Also Claude allying with Edelgard over 'gently caress the church' and she tries to talk him down from killing Rhea.

Goddamn this game rules so far

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

all I want to know is if there's a god-shattering star remix

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
wait it's unlocking now? boooo, im still at work for another hour. this sucks!!! i wanna play already, dammit

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Blaziken386 posted:

wait it's unlocking now? boooo, im still at work for another hour. this sucks!!! i wanna play already, dammit

I just tried a minute ago and it still says I can't play it yet, US west coast.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
It's midnight of your local time zone, not synchronized worldwide

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Hargrimm posted:

It's midnight of your local time zone, not synchronized worldwide

In the US it’s midnight EST for everyone

Mang Tomas
Jan 9, 2007
Is this a continuation of the base game's story?

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Mang Tomas posted:

alternate timeline where events happen differently because Shez (you, the protagonist) is the one who ends up meeting the three heirs

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Mang Tomas posted:

Alternate universe that diverges right before 3 House's starts and goes in some wild directions immediately.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Zore posted:

Alternate universe that diverges right before 3 House's starts and goes in some wild directions immediately.

It's because of this that I am torn between going "Screw it" and hopping in or giving 3H another go.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Gyoru posted:

alternate timeline where events happen differently because Shez (you, the protagonist) is the one who ends up meeting the three heirs

Wait then. Then how did Byleth end up coming to the Church's attention?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Bloodly posted:

All the murders, most likely.

So far, the game has not unlocked for me.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Bloodly posted:

Byleth does not come to the Church's attention or join Garreg Mach during the White Clouds equivalent period.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Game is still not unlocking :mad:

Goddammit Nintendo I gotta work tomorrow, I was looking forward to getting a couple hours in tonight before bed.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
My fellow Shezes, it is on.

I'll see you on the other side.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Sydin posted:

Game is still not unlocking :mad:

Goddammit Nintendo I gotta work tomorrow, I was looking forward to getting a couple hours in tonight before bed.

Restart the console. Worked for me.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Yeah I just got in too, I'm on the US East Coast.

And in case anyone else was wondering, yes you can import your demo save

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jun 24, 2022

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Welp, guess it's time to mute this thread until I get my copy tomorrow. :T

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Zore posted:

Restart the console. Worked for me.

Restarting did not work, but fully shutting down for a bit and then turning it back on seemed to do the trick.

Alright, Shez time.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Bloodly posted:

They didn't. This is in the demo, but basically the heirs run into Shez as they flee the prologue bandits, but before they reach the town Jeralt's mercenaries are staying at. So in this case the issue is resolved before it ever reaches Byleth, who then departs the next day with Jeralt as planned and none the wiser of wider events going on - which also means Byleth (or rather Jeralt) coming to the attention of Alois and taking them back to the monastery doesn't happen.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
golden deer time, babeyyyyyyy

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Picking up right where the demo left off with my Lions! Seeing Hapi and Petra and recruiting them right away was a nice surprise.

Mang Tomas
Jan 9, 2007
Would I be totally confused if I just start this game first before the base game since it being an alternate timeline story? I think I'm going to like this game's action more than the strategic base game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I think it’s kinda funny that all of the students speak with much more strategic intelligence in this game (because there’s not a tactical mastermind like Byleth around to hog all the critical thinking) despite the fact that they were only in Strategy School for like 3 weeks before it was shut down

Mang Tomas posted:

Would I be totally confused if I just start this game first before the base game since it being an alternate timeline story? I think I'm going to like this game's action more than the strategic base game.

Go for it, honestly. If you get confused there are places to ask questions but if this is more your speed I’d just start here.