Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Alamani57 posted:

Tag yourself for whichever bud looks most like your penis. I'm 14 and can no longer achieve an erection without the tip snapping off.

Shame you don’t have platinum or your PM inbox would become a honeypot for moderators with poor reading comprehension.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

lol

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 372 days!

paul_soccer12 posted:

You joke but this is completely believable

Day's not over yet!

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

tenderjerk posted:

Joe biden announce a sasquatch tracking task force next

wow, President Bobo!

pandy fackler
Jun 2, 2020

hahaha imagine voting for a democrat

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Kill cops

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Shear Modulus posted:

she's saying it because she's running for governor and like every other democrat is trying to be as pro-cop as possible to win over moderate republicans

Yeah, I saw Tim Ryan (D-OH) ad the other day, and it was just some cop saying how the Republican wanted to cut funding for cops. Literally the first page out of the GOP campaign advertisement handbook.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

cat botherer posted:

Post-Voyager Star Trek just sucks rear end, just the same as all other sci-fi/action garbage. Also voyager was good after they left black superpedator Kazon space, and if you don’t agree, gently caress you

There are maybe ten good Voyager eps, almost all of them are Doctor or Seven-of-Nine centric because those are the only two actors who gave half a poo poo, and the entire series as a whole is hard to accept for what it is rather than what it should've been. Worse, they actually showed the audience what it should've been in the two part episode Equinox.

That said, Enterprise was amazingly terrible and I haven't watched any of the new ones just because of the taste Enterprise left.

I will admit the ten good eps are actually truly good, not just good for the series. The weirdest thing was the three or four episodes that were direct copies of Stargate SG-1 episodes which if I'm remembering correctly were all done better on SG-1.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
I dropped out during Voyager, never saw Enterprise because I didn't want a prequel. The Star Trek movie reboot was a self-parody of JJ Abrams terribleness but I still tried the new tv show I forget what it's called but the first new one and it started with some smug starfleet officer in a desert who needs rescued and she does something clever and the camera zooms out and there's a starfleet logo in the sand see isn't that cool? then i turned it off and now only hear about star trek stuff from red letter media

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

Stereotype posted:

the NYPD kidnapped the mayor's daughter and held her hostage so direct threats of violence is not out of the realm of possibility though

yes, but also he loves police

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Voyager gave us Barack Obama and this sin can never be forgiven

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Excelzior posted:

Hmm, maybe, unless...

Boston Public came after Voyager
David E. Kelley produced BP
His recent hit was Ally McBeal
And that gained notoriety for the true culprit...

Small domino: Dancing Baby
Large domino: American Fascism in 2022

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Excelzior posted:

Eh, kinda. I would argue Jeri Ryan's husband would have been a weird sex club pervert even if his wife wasn't on Voyager.

Maybe it doesn't become as big a scandal for him if she's not as famous? Still seems like something big enough to end his campaign and let Obama win.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

LastInLine posted:

There are maybe ten good Voyager eps, almost all of them are Doctor or Seven-of-Nine centric because those are the only two actors who gave half a poo poo, and the entire series as a whole is hard to accept for what it is rather than what it should've been. Worse, they actually showed the audience what it should've been in the two part episode Equinox.

That said, Enterprise was amazingly terrible and I haven't watched any of the new ones just because of the taste Enterprise left.

I will admit the ten good eps are actually truly good, not just good for the series. The weirdest thing was the three or four episodes that were direct copies of Stargate SG-1 episodes which if I'm remembering correctly were all done better on SG-1.

Strange New Worlds has been very good so far.

Discovery has its flaws but I like it mostly. And people make way too much out of an inconsequential 30-second cameo or Elon Musk's name being mentioned in one episode (and not as the person who invented Starfleet or anything like that).

Picard is also a new live-action Star Trek series.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
Orville is the only tru trek on tv.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

How the gently caress do I get a diagnosis?
Goon project: Find a doctor to say we're all Havana'd

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

LastInLine posted:

There are maybe ten good Voyager eps, almost all of them are Doctor or Seven-of-Nine centric because those are the only two actors who gave half a poo poo,

I’m reminded of the goon that when getting an autograph from Robert Picardo at a con told him “thank you for being the only good part of voyager” and then took a picture of the disgusted look Picardo gave him.

the biggest problem with voyager is that the show runners seemingly didn’t care about characters being written consistently. perhaps the most egregious example is that Robert Beltran/Chakotay got one comically bad stereotyped pastiche “spirit trip” episode and was outright forgotten about for the entire series. he apparently started complaining about this in season 7 and the show runners wrote in the dumb chakotay/seven romance in the last couple episodes to shut him up.
I think the doctor and seven were only written somewhat consistently because “Pinocchio” was enough for writers to give Robert Picardo and Jeri Ryan something to work with.

they can’t avoid the captain being central to most types of episodes. so while Kate Mulgrew is an excellent actor in other work Janeway is written extremely differently episode to episode so she just kinda gives up and rolls with whoever Janeway was written as that week. Mulgrew said she concluded like halfway through the run that she had to play Janeway as having a serious personality disorder. that’s a fun tidbit to remember whenever you watch voyager.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I can't think about Voyager without thinking of this short Beltran interview of him making GBS threads all over it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyF-ik2Cteg

The goon was right though, Picardo really was great in it. Tinker Tenor Doctor Spy, the one with him and Andy Dick (Prometheus, I think was the title and if not it was definitely the ship), and the one where he's a future museum exhibit stand out as eps where he pretty much does all the work. He also elevated Stargate Atlantis the one season he was on that.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I’m checking through voyager main casts’ careers and while Robert Duncan McNeil and Roxann Dawson are prolific TV directors Garret Wang appears to have had about as much success in entertainment after Voyager as ensign Kim had in star fleet.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

can't have a thread about democrats here without ur turning into star trek chat

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

unfortunately the casts of all Star Trek series are extremely succ

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Shear Modulus posted:

that's what happens when they give Stacey Abrams a cameo

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/berkeleyjr/status/1540047827790872579

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

haha lol

https://www.healthaffairs.org/do/10.1377/forefront.20210512.191448 posted:

Estimates of direct public spending on the development and manufacturing of COVID-19 vaccines vary considerably based on the range of sources examined and the timing of data collection. Recent estimates from the Congressional Research Service, the Government Accountability Office, and Chad Brown and Thomas Bollyky along with data on the GHIAA.org and Devex websites provide government spending estimates of between $18 billion and $23 billion. Most recently the Congressional Budget Office estimated that the Biomedical Research and Development Authority (BARDA) alone has spent $19.3 billion on COVID-19 vaccine development. In addition, Lisa Cornish projected $39.5 billion in US spending.

These funds, which have attenuated industry risk in developing COVID-19 vaccines, are on top of years of government-funded vaccine research that set the platforms for the current successes.

Market Risk

The US government made extensive use of advance purchase commitment contracts to assure pharmaceutical manufacturers that there would be sufficient demand for their products to justify taking risks and devoting firm resources to the vaccine effort. To illustrate the magnitude of these contracts, public sources indicate that Johnson and Johnson had a $1 billion contract for 100 million doses of their vaccine. Moderna had contracts totaling $4.95 billion to produce 300 million doses. Pfizer, a firm that claims to not have received funding from the government, had advance purchase contracts totaling $5.97 billion for 300 million doses.

:discourse:

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Shear Modulus posted:

At least when Voyager ran across something called "Omega" it triggered a top secret Starfleet directive to DESTROY IT ON SIGHT AND ERASE EVERY TRACE THAT IT HAD EVER EXISTED

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

docbeard posted:

At least when Voyager ran across something called "Omega" it triggered a top secret Starfleet directive to DESTROY IT ON SIGHT AND ERASE EVERY TRACE THAT IT HAD EVER EXISTED

Looks like someone's been taking their rut suppressants.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
the democrats are going to get destroyed on stardate 47634.44

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Laterite posted:

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Laterite posted:

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

e : nvm

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Laterite posted:

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

perhaps the most egregious example is that Robert Beltran/Chakotay got one comically bad stereotyped pastiche “spirit trip” episode and was outright forgotten about for the entire series.

don't forget that this script was developed with & signed off on by a native american advisor who turned out to be pulling an elizabeth warren

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Platystemon posted:

Shame you don’t have platinum or your PM inbox would become a honeypot for moderators with poor reading comprehension.

:boomshaka:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

30.5 Days posted:

don't forget that this script was developed with & signed off on by a native american advisor who turned out to be pulling an elizabeth warren

Who had been publicly discredited ten years before they hired him

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

Laterite posted:

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Isn't Beltran a Larouche guy?

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

docbeard posted:

Strange New Worlds has been very good so far.

stfu

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Laterite posted:

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

They won’t approve them. Problem solved

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Also is this Friday, today, supposed to be a big SC decision drop or somethibg? I’m freeing myself from caring about the news cycle and it’s a weird experience floating back into the world of normal people. Maybe it was all a bad dream?