Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

At this point I really hope the last shot of this season is Black Noir chilling on some beach somewhere sipping a margarita through a straw. Through his mask, in full costume, of course. Dude got out while he had a chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Mat Cauthon posted:

- I hate to admit it but the Supernatural guy is a pretty good actor. Soldier Boy is obviously an rear end in a top hat who has the potential to be as bad as Homelander but the performance lends him some sympathy
- Feels like they're going kind of overboard with the conflict between Hughie and Starlight. Rather than pull his macho bullshit of trying to protect her without explaining anything he could've just said "hey Soldier Boy can do a laser beam thing that takes away your powers and kills you, please wait here while we deal with Homelander"

Hah, I think the performance gives him the opposite of sympathy (is that antipathy?). The character is obviously innately sympathetic -- the war hero captured and experimented on by the bad guys -- but the way he plays it makes him basically a worse person than Homelander. Maybe not as grandiose and controlling, but he's such a brusque uncaring incurious arrogant bigoted rear end in a top hat that he loses any sympathy I might have for him.

Agreed on Starlight and Hughie, though. There's such a world of difference between "I don't mind if my girlfriend could beat me up and wins at bowling" and "we're under threat for our lives from evil Superman and assorted secondary superfuckers and I want to be able to actively help things." Then again, I'm kind of on Team Temp V, just because the stakes are so high that it seems worth the gamble.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Phenotype posted:

Hah, I think the performance gives him the opposite of sympathy (is that antipathy?). The character is obviously innately sympathetic -- the war hero captured and experimented on by the bad guys -- but the way he plays it makes him basically a worse person than Homelander. Maybe not as grandiose and controlling, but he's such a brusque uncaring incurious arrogant bigoted rear end in a top hat that he loses any sympathy I might have for him.

Agreed on Starlight and Hughie, though. There's such a world of difference between "I don't mind if my girlfriend could beat me up and wins at bowling" and "we're under threat for our lives from evil Superman and assorted secondary superfuckers and I want to be able to actively help things." Then again, I'm kind of on Team Temp V, just because the stakes are so high that it seems worth the gamble.

Hey now, he was willing to give Hughie 3 mins to find the twins instead of just storming in there to kill everyone. That's 3 more minutes than Homelander would've given them in the same situation :v:

Team temp V gets results :colbert:

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

f#a# posted:

I wonder if it was a conscious decision to make you feel uncomfortable and guilty for watching yet another laser beam clash

That whole fight scene was loving terrible. After all this buildup of Homelander supposedly being a terrifying unstoppable demon, it turns out that Temp-V made Butcher and Hughie capable of trading blows with him. It took more people to stomp on Stormfront. We know that Homelander is strong enough to throw people into orbit or through stone walls, but instead we got boring superhero fisticuffs between him and Soldier Boy.

Rest of the episode was great, especially A-Train's apology and Annie's speech.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

As Nero Danced posted:

Dumb question, Has Annie used her light blasts as anything but force pushes? She killed that one driver back in season 2 when Hughie got shot but I don't know if we've ever seen how powerful her powers really are.

Then again the show doesn't need to indulge the dragon ball z power level stuff any more that it's already flirting with between Soldier Boy, Homelander, and Butcher.

What about the would-be rapists in S1? I don't remember if they showed how that fight went. She also threatened Deep when they were on patrol together but I can't remember how specific the threat was.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

The Wilhelm Scream was used perfectly.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I thought it was a fantastic episode. I think probably one of the best episodes they've put out to date. But yeah V24 clearly is overwhelmingly much more powerful than normal compound V.

The only thing that really bothered me with the fight at the end is in real life Homelander would have lost badly against Soldier Boy if he was anywhere near his level. Homelander as far as we know has never fought a pitched battle where he's had to use strategy or determination and enduring hardship to win. Meanwhile Soldier Boy actually has military training and actual real world experience fighting. I would have had him lose round one, badly- and run away to sulk. Functionally nothing would have changed for the episode.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Phenotype posted:

Totally disagree. He literally is the ur-prototype of Homelander, up to and including his tragic backstory and his character flaws being the same (narcissism, bigotry) but muted and partly explained away by being a dude born in the 20's. Even his wanton murder being blackouts from pretty horrific trauma. It's very obvious what they are doing here, sure. But it's kinda of important and it works because it comes off as slightly psychopathic not to lend that type sympathy or humanity when they're pointedly denying it Homelander despite his being even worse because of how broken he is.

Phenotype posted:

The feminist metaphor just doesn't work, but more importantly the liberal 'If Only Sheeple knew the Truth!' world view doesn't. Homelander already threatened to just end the United States (and he can do it, easily) and is increasingly unhinged now that all his human connections are loving gone. Realistically, if they followed through, Annie just killed millions of people. Sometimes you do have to have a loving bloody revolution and do necessary evils in life. Butcher and Hughie are doing nothing wrong, and maybe if Starlight and MM got of their high horse, Homelander would be a grease stain

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Holy gently caress what an episode.

Quick question (mild spoilers)when Ashley was blowing up at a train, she mentioned he's killed 3 people. I can remember Robin, and popclaw, but I'm drawing a blank on the third. Anyone remember?

I'm glad Ashley got a moment finally. Also fuckin :lol: at the banter between her and Deep in the beginning.

Can't believe we have 2 more episodes to go. This honestly felt like it could have been a season finale.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Jensen Ackles has always been a really good actor, he's absolutely outstanding as Dean Winchester. Jared Padalecki was also on the show.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
how the gently caress are there two more episodes

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

zoux posted:

Jensen Ackles has always been a really good actor, he's absolutely outstanding as Dean Winchester. Jared Padalecki was also on the show.

Supernatural actually has some really good actors on it for how much it rightly get poo poo on.

And also Jared Padalecki.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I don’t know how Hugie can morally justify hanging around with Solider Boy at this point. Or hanging around him out of basic self preservation. The guy is a time bomb.

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016
I am probably going to be in the minority but I thought the "twist" of homelander having a split personality didn't land. It seemed like they are trying to humanize him or soften him. Neither of which work given the body of work we have seen from him. In the theme of this episode (you can chose not to be a captive of your past) I can see what they are going for. But his casual cruelty across the series leaves me unwilling to buy that his childhood trauma is driving him.

Also extra large oof on Solider boy in the hotel scene channeling the most toxic of "greatest generation" tendencies. That's probably going to be a problem sooner rather than later.

Lastly I agree with the poster above that Annie ripping the mask off is going to get untold numbers of people killed, especially because due to getting his clock cleaned and he is sporting a shiner Homelander can't just go on fox news Vought news and brow beat the media into accepting his story.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I think it might just be safer around soldier boy than not, when he knows that Homelander has threatened to kill him specifically.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bussamove posted:

And also Jared Padalecki.

Jim Beaver, of course, being a top ten living character actor, and I guess officially a Kripke guy since he plays the secdef on this show. Also three time winner Emmy winner Sterling K brown as a recurring vampire hunter that gets turned into a vampire. And as you say, Jared Padelecki was a member of the cast, per IMDB

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I think it might just be safer around soldier boy than not, when he knows that Homelander has threatened to kill him specifically.

It's a lesser of two evils thing, the unhinged monster is more dangerous than the "stable" one, though that stability is very much in question if he hears a russian song.

poo poo are they gonna hit him with the troll lol lol song?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
LMAO that Herogasm was started by Soldier Boy and Stormfront

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

sponges posted:

I don’t know how Hugie can morally justify hanging around with Solider Boy at this point. Or hanging around him out of basic self preservation. The guy is a time bomb.

Because Solider Boy isn't totally responsible for his actions He WAS going to spare the TNT Twins before he blacked out, he clearly regretted just blowing up a random building. Also Homelander is far worse and not only threatened his life, directly, but he's going blow up New York or something

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

zoux posted:

Jim Beaver, of course, being a top ten living character actor, and I guess officially a Kripke guy since he plays the secdef on this show. Also three time winner Emmy winner Sterling K brown as a recurring vampire hunter that gets turned into a vampire. And as you say, Jared Padelecki was a member of the cast, per IMDB

Can't forget Mark Sheppard, an always slightly greasy feeling treat like a used car salesman who really wants to make that deal. And Kurt Fuller who is always hammy, slightly unhinged fun.

Jared Padelecki also credited.

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

I EAT LITTLE CHILDREN FOR BREAKFAST !!11!!1!!!!111!
So Hughie can teleport other people now, but still not his clothes (or their clothes).

:yosnice:

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Bill Cosby, now that was a real man. He could mix a STRONG drink!

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

The beautiful audacity of using the joke from a popsicle stick as a visual bit.

loving amazing.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Great episode, and Annie just refusing to go along with anybody's bullshit anymore, including Hughie's, was fantastic.

Hughie gets to have his big confrontation moment with A Train feeling confident thanks to his powers and the end result is him being unable to actually cope with A Train (for selfish, self-absorbed reasons admittedly) actually showing genuine empathy, and then exactly what Annie warned him would happen happens as Soldier Boy kills a whole bunch of innocent bystanders (noted by MM that many of those present were just sex workers, there to do a job and not for fun). Now Hughie is the guy who is willing to allow collateral damage to achieve his aims, as much a hypocrite as Butcher is - MM pointing out that Butcher wants his revenge on Homelander but is preventing MM from getting his on Soldier Boy was spot on.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Jun 24, 2022

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I can understand Hughie's ethical lapses. I can appreciate the argument his behavior shouldn't be done out of ethical reasons.

But I really don't feel like the rest of the narrative supports that. Literally Homelander said he will destroy America if he doesn't get his way and has explicitly threatened to kill Hughie. He is 200% completely justified in taking V24 and taking risks and collateral damage in the goal of killing Homelander. Not only that he showed he's willing to put his life on the line to do so.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Goddamn this show whips

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
Homerlander literally told Starlight if she doxes him, he'll destroy everything. I know we're on an internet forum, but it's okay to say Posting Harder isn't going to fix anything

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

NutritiousSnack posted:

Homerlander literally told Starlight if she doxes him, he'll destroy everything. I know we're on an internet forum, but it's okay to say Posting Harder isn't going to fix anything

Sometimes you just gotta post. gently caress the consequences

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah but Hughie's insistence that HE has to be the one physically involved in doing this is born out of nothing but his feelings of emasculation. Annie was onboard with working with him, she was recruiting people to work alongside her (actually following along/joining in with Maeve who had decided to try and use her powers to give Butcher an opening against Homelander) and as we see in this episode a group of superheroes working in concert CAN overpower Homelander but HE wanted to be the one to do it, because it bugs him that his girlfriend is stronger than him.

Hughie's entire thing is about him wanting to feel like a "man" and get to revel in the same power he's seen others abusing. Every time we see him take the V we see that he's like a junkie getting a fix, and all his moral concerns are quickly falling by the wayside for the sake of convenience. I don't think it's a coincidence that this episode sees him confront A Train - who killed his ex-girlfriend and then put it behind him without a thought - and then still eagerly take part in the fight with Homelander AND leave with Soldier Boy after Soldier Boy caused the collateral damage that Hughie insisted he had to avoid, apparently willing to accept that innocent people like MM's family getting murdered is a necessity.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Chamale posted:

That whole fight scene was loving terrible. After all this buildup of Homelander supposedly being a terrifying unstoppable demon, it turns out that Temp-V made Butcher and Hughie capable of trading blows with him. It took more people to stomp on Stormfront. We know that Homelander is strong enough to throw people into orbit or through stone walls, but instead we got boring superhero fisticuffs between him and Soldier Boy.

Rest of the episode was great, especially A-Train's apology and Annie's speech.

I mean, that's the whole thing. Homelander is a terrifying unstoppable demon - which everyone knew from just the bare minimum power he has demonstrated so far or from tests that Vought did to him. Remember, they've tried every weapon on the planet and he shrugged it all off. As long as no one could challenge him, or at least didn't think they could, then he could just coast on the myth built around him until he believed it himself. After all, no one could disprove it or stop him until now.

Homelander as a character is obviously unhinged, barely holding on to sanity and whatever humanity he has left. He just got his rear end kicked for the first time, by one of his heroes and two puny humans. Everyone is out to get him, no one is loyal, no one is trying to help him. He could use this "dark night of the soul" moment to change his ways for the better... or he could use it as a rationale to drop all the limitations that have held him back and really show what he can do.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It was crazy to see genuine fear on Homelander's face as he's on the brink of losing a fight. What a nutso episode.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
How the hell are we getting two more seasons out of this?

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
Have to say--it was cathartic as all get-out to finally see Homelander on the receiving end of a physical beatdown. Something to check his ego, at long last.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah but Hughie's insistence that HE has to be the one physically involved in doing this is born out of nothing but his feelings of emasculation. Annie was onboard with working with him, she was recruiting people to work alongside her (actually following along/joining in with Maeve who had decided to try and use her powers to give Butcher an opening against Homelander) and as we see in this episode a group of superheroes working in concert CAN overpower Homelander but HE wanted to be the one to do it, because it bugs him that his girlfriend is stronger than him.

Hughie's entire thing is about him wanting to feel like a "man" and get to revel in the same power he's seen others abusing. Every time we see him take the V we see that he's like a junkie getting a fix, and all his moral concerns are quickly falling by the wayside for the sake of convenience. I don't think it's a coincidence that this episode sees him confront A Train - who killed his ex-girlfriend and then put it behind him without a thought - and then still eagerly take part in the fight with Homelander AND leave with Soldier Boy after Soldier Boy caused the collateral damage that Hughie insisted he had to avoid, apparently willing to accept that innocent people like MM's family getting murdered is a necessity.

I mean, yeah, but one of those emasculating moments was finding out his boss was rigging the 'official' way of handling Supes. This is a world where Ice Princess literally froze a dude's dick off, and he got somewhat lucky because Hughie saw a dude have his head crushed because a Supe came too hard, and the fact his girlfriend quite frankly is a very thin layer of protection against the increasingly unhinged Homelander. I know the show is trying to paint it as 'soft boyfriend sexism' but this outright extends into the fact everyone's life is in total and complete danger, and him standing around naked with his dick in his hand is actually the most useful he's been in the situation. When you think about this situation for ten seconds the show's theme this season falls apart. I mean is there any fundemental difference in Hughie hanging out with "a murderer" (all the Boys, and Starlight are killers) who shots out radiation or a Soviet Super Weapon that does massive collateral damage? Her sudden turn against it legit doesn't make sense given that.

I mean once again, how does that Instragram post by Annie make a lick of sense given they already had the cellphone footage of Not 9/11 to hold over his head and how clear it's been made leaking anything like that is a bad idea? What is MM and her actual thought process here? The internal logic of the show should be that because of this civilization is about to end because their moral grandstanding and they can't accept in life you have to make ethical compromises and sell your cell to accomplish wider issues and see actual justice done. It's getting almost comical how the past two seasons was filled with 'I'd like to see Voight and Homelander get out of this one' only for Voight to get out of it easily by buying their way out of the consequences or the existential threat of Homerlander realizing doesn't need anyone else to survive and doesn't need to adhere to any rule of society because of it, especially because he isn't benefiting from the social bonds it provides in return.

This is also not going into the fact Solider Boy is way more morally complicated than MM or Starlight think and it's clear he can be reasoned with, not remotely like Homelander or even most of the Seven (or what remains of them).

I mean it's hard to take MM and her thought process seriously at all when the natural conclusion of the show is going to be The Boys and assorted decent Supes doing whatever it takes because Homelander finally goes totally off the rails.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Fionordequester posted:

Have to say--it was cathartic as all get-out to finally see Homelander on the receiving end of a physical beatdown. Something to check his ego, at long last.

yeah it was good.

was hoping to see maeve though

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

CODChimera posted:

yeah it was good.

was hoping to see maeve though

Apparently Maeve has the most screentime of any character in the finale, according to a full season review I read. Something like, "Maeve was noticeably absent all season but they made up for in the final..." (very vague upcoming episode spoilers)

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace

christmas boots posted:

How the hell are we getting two more seasons out of this?

I hope it's just building up to Hughie becoming the villain after all.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Claudia Doumit (Neumann) and Jack Quaid (Hughie) are dating in real life, that explains their bagel sharing chemistry.

I enjoyed Neumann maneouvering this time to try and pass education reform, of all things. This episode had so many ancillary scenes that were absolutely top notch. MM explaining the trauma behind his OCD hit like a truck (or a thrown Mercedes Benz).

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
The satire is sometimes too on the nose, like when A Train just recreated the pepsi commercial, but Soldier Boy going on about Bill Cosby and the brave Mujahedeen got me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Couple things didn't land for me this episode.
Homelander's split personality thing is too explicit - I feel like this inner struggle was already obvious and this is kind of undermining the actor's performance. If it's literally a split personality and not just a one-off mirror pep talk then ugh.
The Frenchie thing is way too disconnected from the main show now and cutting away to it while much more important poo poo is happening feels way too "oh yeah, this is a TV show with B-Plots."
Soldier Boy and Homelander trading punches in the background while another B-Plot is resolved is, again, just way too TV and dragged this episode back from how good this season has been so far.
The show was on a real upward trajectory but it's wobbling now