Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

AFO was fine when he was fighting All Might and being smug in jail but ever since he's gotten out he's the worst type of "haha you thought you had me but I will pull something out of my rear end at the last second!!" type of villain that is supremely boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
He's not really doing that though, he's getting his rear end kicked. Also we're literally 2+ years out I think from him flat out saying the quirks he stole still have wills of their original owners.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Fabricated posted:

He's not really doing that though, he's getting his rear end kicked. Also we're literally 2+ years out I think from him flat out saying the quirks he stole still have wills of their original owners.

I'm including his take over of Shigaraki in that

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I'd forgive everything if AFO at one point was just like "Ah, I see you're flashing back to your childhood for strength! The heroes in my brother's comics used to do that a lot too!" and just slapped someone back to reality mid-internal search for motivation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2oSSDOB9Sg

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

still very annoyed that the main reason AFO keeps taking hits is because all his quirks are suddenly sentient and don't like him

I agree, it just cheapens the effort and abilities of characters fighting him for no good reason.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Speaking of the War arc, there's a new trailer for season 6:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mezyq2OX6TM

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Mirko spotted

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Fwiw AfO feels as sad to still be a part of this story as we are to see him. Poor guy being forced out of retirement just to job so Hori doesn't get yelled at by editors.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

AfO made fun of Dabi for not having any friends, so he's a valid inclusion in my eyes.

oh jay posted:

I know it's a super common shonen trope in general, but has MHA had even a single fight that didn't flashback to a pivotal point in characters past?

I know you weren't actually asking but it was fun to think about since there are more than I thought there'd be. Discounting large fights naturally:

Bakugo vs Uraraka
Bakugo vs Todoroki
Deku vs Bakugo: Round 2 just flashed some images of them as kids so that might count
Deku vs Muscular (both times I think)
Stain vs UA students
Joint Training fights 1 + 4
Shigaraki vs Everyone had barely anything iirc
All Might vs Nomu
Endeavor + Hawks vs High End
Mirko vs High Ends
Uraraka vs Toga
Hawks vs Dabi/Twice

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jun 19, 2022

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Nonexistence posted:

Fwiw AfO feels as sad to still be a part of this story as we are to see him. Poor guy being forced out of retirement just to job so Hori doesn't get yelled at by editors.

Somehow, AFO returned.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Wait this chapter brought up a good point: All of AfO’s quirks are copies, he gave the originals to Shiggy. But the ghosts are still there. Did they copy the ghosts too?

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
He gave his original quirk and probably some of the more useful quirks, but I don't think he gave away every quirk he'd stolen. Particularly since he made a point of collecting more to make up for his disabilities.

And this chapter made it sufficiently clear AFO's current problem is that his quirk copy is not as effective as the original at keeping the other quirks under control.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Kyte posted:

He gave his original quirk and probably some of the more useful quirks, but I don't think he gave away every quirk he'd stolen. Particularly since he made a point of collecting more to make up for his disabilities.

And this chapter made it sufficiently clear AFO's current problem is that his quirk copy is not as effective as the original at keeping the other quirks under control.

Oh wait you’re right, he meant his AfO quirk is a copy.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

He somehow gave Shigaraki a copy of all his quirks, including Ragdoll's, which he stole hours before All Might caved his face in. The timeline doesn't really make sense to me, but that's comics baby.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

oh jay posted:

He somehow gave Shigaraki a copy of all his quirks, including Ragdoll's, which he stole hours before All Might caved his face in. The timeline doesn't really make sense to me, but that's comics baby.

The doctor had a whole lab full of copied quirks that he stuffed into Shiggy. I'm not sure if the series ever said exactly what he needs to copy a quirk, but I assume a few hours is all he needed to get what he needed from AFO or Ragdoll to eventually make a copy of her quirk.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Vague, but feels like it should take longer than a few hours. And even if it was that quick, the Doctor wasn't at the Nomu factory where they found Ragdoll anyway. And it would have been weird for it to be a rush job, since All For One did not prepare or intend to fight All Might at Kamino that day.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Given AFO hasn't shown signs of keeping Search, he probably passed the original quirk for that particular case.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I love sensory perks because I'm loving blind. But this particularly one I've been coveting for quite some time? Put it in a jar in case you end up giving Tomura All For One 6 months down the line.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

oh jay posted:

Vague, but feels like it should take longer than a few hours. And even if it was that quick, the Doctor wasn't at the Nomu factory where they found Ragdoll anyway. And it would have been weird for it to be a rush job, since All For One did not prepare or intend to fight All Might at Kamino that day.
AFO took her quirk, meaning her body wasn't required. He seems to keep copies of quirks he thinks are particularly good. The doctor even makes special noumu for particularly useful ones like the warp quirk and twice quirk (both destroyed, but hey).

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

My issue is the timeframe. Summer Camp and Kamino happen back-to-back. Either Doctor was lying in his internal monologue and replicating a quirk is really quick, or AFO decided not to keep either copy or original of a quirk his blind rear end admitted to wanting for "reasons"

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

If he has search during the Kamino battle, wouldn't he have known Deku and pals were right behind that wall and stopped them from rescuing Bakugou?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I assume Search requires active effort to use? Also he's never met any of those kids, no reason to seek them out.

But yeah, it's not very well-plotted.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Has search been used at all since it got stolen?

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I like that Endeavor's subconscious calls him out on the flame beard just being another way he's covering up his insecurities and trying to appear strong. Endeavor coming to terms that he's a complete loser by putting out his flame beard so he can focus his strength on his fire arm was a really great moment.

I don't think he should be together with his family again after this, but maybe he can work or retire together with Hawks and take it easy.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

Electric Phantasm posted:

Has search been used at all since it got stolen?

Shigaraki was homing in on Deku with it when he first came out of the tube during the War arc, in the chapter titled "Search". :v:

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Rhonne posted:

If he has search during the Kamino battle, wouldn't he have known Deku and pals were right behind that wall and stopped them from rescuing Bakugou?

I believe Search requires you to have seen someone first before you can put them on your 'list' to monitor. I would assume that Ragdoll's 'list' of students was wiped when AFO stole it and he had to build up his own but then that doesn't explain how Shigaraki walked out of the hospital immediately able to track a shitload of people he hadn't seen since getting the quirk. And if you only have to have ever seen someone at some point in your life in order to track them, then I don't see why Horikoshi bothered setting a 100 person limit on Search because you could keep track of way more people by just shuffling them in and out of the 'list'.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Kyte posted:

I dunno why they didn’t just go with “the copied quirk doesn’t control multiple quirks at once that good” instead of “the copied quirk isn’t as good at suppressing the ghosts in the quirks”

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

TheHan posted:

I dunno why they didn’t just go with “the copied quirk doesn’t control multiple quirks at once that good” instead of “the copied quirk isn’t as good at suppressing the ghosts in the quirks”

Probably because of OFA's own quirk ghosts which are somewhat autonomous and able to independently offer Deku advice/caution and withhold their power, at least in the Second's case.

amigolupus posted:

I like that Endeavor's subconscious calls him out on the flame beard just being another way he's covering up his insecurities and trying to appear strong. Endeavor coming to terms that he's a complete loser by putting out his flame beard so he can focus his strength on his fire arm was a really great moment.

I don't think he should be together with his family again after this, but maybe he can work or retire together with Hawks and take it easy.

Yes, I appreciated that detail. I'm not too bothered about the flashback, a 2 page break in the middle of a very action-packed chapter is no big deal, and it looks like this will be the last step before the culmination of Endeavor's character arc.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

https://onepiecechapters.com/chapters/2320/my-hero-academia-chapter-357

chap

Scholtz fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Jun 24, 2022

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Eggplant Squire posted:

AFO was fine when he was fighting All Might and being smug in jail but ever since he's gotten out he's the worst type of "haha you thought you had me but I will pull something out of my rear end at the last second!!" type of villain that is supremely boring.

Came in here to post basically this in response to that chap

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

If AFO just self destructs in an attempt to take out Endeavor and possibly a whole bunch of other heroes (I don't think they're anywhere near Hawks, Tokoyami, and Jirou at the moment) then that's fine, but I'm otherwise real tired of him pulling new poo poo out of his rear end to prolong what isn't even the most interesting fight we could be watching

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I can only think he's talking about his plan to body-jack Shigaraki but if not maybe he shoved his consciousness into a Nomu and thats who's coming after Deku?

Endeavor using freaking heat vision is hype as gently caress.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Jun 24, 2022

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I liked AFO putting his hand up and getting it heat visioned off.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Hell yeah, the return of the best villain

a gun

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Is he planning on using Eri to re-wind his body to before he got all hosed up by All Might? Otherwise I'm not quite sure why they included that shot there. Also no idea how he plans to execute that plan seeing as he's now a lump of coal

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
the entire point of afo's power set is that you can't predict what he will do since he has a treasure trove of stolen quirks from a couple centuries of being alive. like that's the point of any tension with his fights- he's a smart guy with a big bag of tricks. if you think he's just gonna go "oh noooo u have beaten me with your shonen spirit of never giving up, rarrrgh" and not have one last ace up his sleeve you legit have not been reading the manga

he even explains this fighting all might when he notes that realistically he only had a couple swings left in him, but he anticipates a few more past that because he is genre savvy

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Fabricated posted:

the entire point of afo's power set is that you can't predict what he will do since he has a treasure trove of stolen quirks from a couple centuries of being alive. like that's the point of any tension with his fights- he's a smart guy with a big bag of tricks. if you think he's just gonna go "oh noooo u have beaten me with your shonen spirit of never giving up, rarrrgh" and not have one last ace up his sleeve you legit have not been reading the manga

he even explains this fighting all might when he notes that realistically he only had a couple swings left in him, but he anticipates a few more past that because he is genre savvy

But that creates the opposite of tension where where nothing you do to him matters because because what he can do and is capable of is entirely arbitrary so nothing matters until the author says OK this is the one that does.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
“the whole appeal of this guy is that he’s an asspull machine”

I would argue that the opposite is true

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Fabricated posted:

Plus, AFO has proven time and time again that the most valuable thing in the world to him is malicious spite. He permanently crippled All Might when he was beaten the first time, he revealed that he spent years cultivating Shigaraki solely to hurt All Might in Kamino, he forced All Might to burn up the last bits of OFA in Kamino to beat him, he put bombs in all of the people working for him in this arc like Lady Nagant on the off chance they changed their minds, he set up the pointless exploding mansion trap in case any of them managed to squeal on him anyway, etc.

It would be weird and out of character if he didn't have some kind of horrific "gently caress you, eat poo poo, ha ha" trick prepared for if he lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Oxxidation posted:

“the whole appeal of this guy is that he’s an asspull machine”

I would argue that the opposite is true
Nah. The guy you know won't go down without some sort of spiteful "gently caress you" move (especially when the spite is part of their character) is actually a form of interesting tension because most big shonen bad guys don't go down when they eat a presumably fatal attack anyway

This is cooler than say the last two main big bags of Black Clover who took like five loving standard battle shonen climaxes to kill.