Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mackerel Cornflake
Mar 26, 2021

Enami was able to
obtain that cereal
through illegal
channels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

CodfishCartographer posted:

From my understanding, Japanese artists generally have very different views about sharing art than here in the west. Namely, they really don't like it. They tend to want full control over how their works are distributed and to who, to the point where reselling doujin (comics drawn by artists, often fan works of popular series) is a huge taboo. It's generally seen as better to throw out a doujin you don't want anymore rather than resell it. The view tends to be that only the artist has the right to distribute their art, nobody else. And I don't mean "the right" from a legal sense, but rather from a moral sense. I think the reasoning is because if an artist decides for whatever reason that they want to remove their art from the public, they can't if someone else is also distributing their works.

I might be wrong about that, and obviously this won't apply to EVERY Japanese artist, but it's what I've been told by people much more heavily involved in Japanese artist circles than I am. If this is true, I kind of worry NEET author wouldn't be too thrilled about this thread.
Whether or not it's true, it's best practices not to touch the poop anyway. Maybe NEETartist isn't like that but still wouldn't be happy seeing all this translation work/reposting done without permission(I've even seen a few western artists get on the "if you're sharing an artist's work, link to their tweet/whatever instead of rehosting the image" train, although many of them are for different reasons than in your quote). Maybe they'd just be weirded out by a rando DMing them out of the blue with "hey did you know that for the past several years a small group of people have been doing this?". There's a lot more potential downside than upside.

Mackerel Cornflake
Mar 26, 2021

Enami was able to
obtain that cereal
through illegal
channels.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Just two old dudes havin a midday snooze

Brother Make
Jun 5, 2020

Post more NEET!!!

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Beetles or software errors, he likes to find bugs

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.

Haifisch posted:

Whether or not it's true, it's best practices not to touch the poop anyway. Maybe NEETartist isn't like that but still wouldn't be happy seeing all this translation work/reposting done without permission(I've even seen a few western artists get on the "if you're sharing an artist's work, link to their tweet/whatever instead of rehosting the image" train, although many of them are for different reasons than in your quote). Maybe they'd just be weirded out by a rando DMing them out of the blue with "hey did you know that for the past several years a small group of people have been doing this?". There's a lot more potential downside than upside.

Regardless of the decision, it is rather poignant we have involved so much thinking about a hypothetical scenario in our head and ultimately change or do nothing.

Maybe we are the embodiment of the comic itself. Well I better go get some food then.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
So we are at the part of tread where some goon fucks it up for everyone else?

Because in these situations it happens EVERY time. Without fail.

You could write a paper on it.

Suspect A
Jan 1, 2015

Nap Ghost
Has Neet upgraded to high functioning depression? Congratulations!

Mackerel Cornflake
Mar 26, 2021

Enami was able to
obtain that cereal
through illegal
channels.

edit: Spelling. Thanks Simplefish.

Mackerel Cornflake fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jun 27, 2022

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
"Having social interactions...is good? Hmm, I need to think about this more."

Aino Minako
Dec 16, 2007

Perpetual rage elemental

Nancy has been standing there in an awkward pose for like 12 hours

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Your typo in panel 3 is very embarrassing

Sprue
Feb 21, 2006

please send nudes :shittydog:
:petdog:

Classic can't tell my friends how I feel abt them because

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Sprue posted:

Classic can't tell my friends how I feel abt them because

Because man, and because Japan

I hear they're taciturn about emotions there, more than even the west

Brother Make
Jun 5, 2020

Post more NEET!!!

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Part time NEET seems to be proving true Oda's false premise from earlier

Mackerel Cornflake
Mar 26, 2021

Enami was able to
obtain that cereal
through illegal
channels.

End of Page 107

Brother Make
Jun 5, 2020

Post more NEET!!!

Hot Stunt
Oct 2, 2009

I bet stay-at-home NEET is having a way better time rifling through his closet for random old poo poo to photograph for his blog.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Nice to see Princess improving her showing a bit, too.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Really feeling Tohru's idea that he's somehow finally about to achieve his true potential and nothing will be the same, from how I remember being in my early 20's.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Ah, mania.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Grevling posted:

Really feeling Tohru's idea that he's somehow finally about to achieve his true potential and nothing will be the same, from how I remember being in my early 20's.

He's 29

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Grevling posted:

Tohru ages well when he does not have to spend a decade in jail but he’s 30 or so. He’s already been a NEET for years prior to this

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Victis posted:

Tohru ages well when he does not have to spend a decade in jail but he’s 30 or so. He’s already been a NEET for years prior to this

Lol I completely forgot about that. In my defence he looks younger now compared to the first few panels when he looked way dumpier and more slovenly.

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010
He's a solid 8

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

:unsmith:

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
shlurp

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Oh, ooo!

Brother Make
Jun 5, 2020

Post more NEET!!!

Millionaire Monday
Oct 4, 2021

The Daily Life of a
Certain (Ex-Con) Millionaire
begins!

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
This better be good NEET, you just ruined Nancy Time :argh:

Brother Make
Jun 5, 2020

Post more NEET!!!

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Hey! No spoilers for the other arcs!

MyronMulch
Nov 12, 2006

What's Japanese for "I hate to see you go but I love to watch you leave!"

Mackerel Cornflake
Mar 26, 2021

Enami was able to
obtain that cereal
through illegal
channels.

Mackerel Cornflake
Mar 26, 2021

Enami was able to
obtain that cereal
through illegal
channels.

MyronMulch posted:

What's Japanese for "I hate to see you go but I love to watch you leave!"

離れたくないけど、そのケツ見てるのが大好きだ。:cool:
"hanaretakunai kedo, sono ketsu miteru noga dai-suki da!"

"I don't want to be separated, but I love watching that rear end." I don't know how to make it subtle. :shrug:

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

This comic has no business being as heartwarming as it is, good lord

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Make
Jun 5, 2020

Post more NEET!!!