Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1-600-DOCTORB
Nov 29, 2004

Side effects may include gopherism, multi-brow, and tracheal meerkat colonies
Pillbug
New friends on the trail last night.

A nice bunny :3:

A nice buzzard :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagpieConcept
Feb 6, 2022

Can't get good pics but our local hawk family has been getting their yearly harassment by our local crows - I can't tell which one is nesting, but this time of year they're really at each other's throats. We also get fledgling and "in training" hawks as well. It's fun to watch them learn to be a bird.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I'm pretty sure what I watched happen the other day was the crows snatched and ate a baby mockingbird, so the vengeful mockingbird parents wrecked the crows' nest. My crow pair are no longer tag teaming the nest and have both just been moping around begging for food.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I was wondering where that fly went after tormenting me into madness for most of the day

I'm almost positive that's a false widow, which aren't as scary as local media like to make out with scarebait articles but are unfortunately invasive and are eating native spiders :(

However, this one did me a solid so :cheersdoge:

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Rexxed posted:

Well the carolina wrens who built a nest on some shelves inside the garage somehow last year are back. I removed the old nest in the winter but this year they picked the next shelf down inside of a box which mostly holds garden gloves. It's tilted forward maybe 30 degrees on the shelf so when I saw the start of a nest maybe a month ago I thought maybe they'd started it and moved somewhere else. Nope, they're not afraid of nesting anywhere, even inside a closed garage. We're assuming there's a loose shingle on the roof cap the little birds know about.

She's hard to make out but here's momma hunched down in the nest. The white line is her eyebrow/head line:

I took some video of the baby birds leaving last year's nest I never edited down but now that this is becoming regular maybe I can get around to it. I had set up an IP camera to spy on the wrens last year and it was neat but I'll probably leave them alone this year unless I change my mind. One nice thing about keeping an eye on them last year was that I was able to determine when the babies were big enough to try leaving the nest and I left the garage door open the day they made their way out, so maybe it's worth doing again. The babies can't figure out the route the parents use.

These baby wrens were pretty fuzzy and weird looking on June 9th:

Today I peeked in and they were pretty big and had a lot more feathers:

When I got home (I took the picture when I was leaving) the nest was empty and they were trying to fly around the garage while their parents peeped at me.
I didn't get a lot of pictures because the two little ones are just trying to figure out how to get around and I didn't want to scare them too much, but the garage is open and they can make their way outside where their parents are peeping at them to go. This is a very zoomed in picture of one of the babies. They have much shorter tails than their parents:

So all in all another Carolina Wren success story. I don't mind them nesting inside the garage but I wish they'd stop pooping on my car.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
Wrens rule, in Finnish the species is called "peukaloinen" which basically means "a thumb sized dude".

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!

Found this cool female stag beetle in the garden, I know they are in the area but first time I've found one in the garden, was very excited when I found it!

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Ebola Dog posted:

Found this cool female stag beetle in the garden, I know they are in the area but first time I've found one in the garden, was very excited when I found it!

Love em! I wish we had more interesting beetles around here.

Interesting couple weeks for muskrat parts! This looks a fair bit older than the pile I found last week.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I need some help with an ID! We found this fuzzy little guy on our walk today (Central Connecticut). He had a beautiful song:

https://i.imgur.com/pAI6dfR.mp4

Any idea what he is?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Silver Falcon posted:

I need some help with an ID! We found this fuzzy little guy on our walk today (Central Connecticut). He had a beautiful song:

Any idea what he is?

The beak makes me think a wren of some sort, but I could be way off.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Silver Falcon posted:

Any idea what he is?

hermit thrush

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Some pictures from today. The usual suspects but looking particularly beautiful at low tide:

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I've got a huge haul today

Hemileuca hera - Hera buckmoth. Pretty sure this guy was dead iirc, but I appreciate that he made sure to die in the most glorious pose possible. Owyhee Co., Idaho.

Pyrrharctia isabella - banded woolly bear caterpillar. Steens Mountain, Oregon.

Euxoa auxiliaris - army cutworm caterpillar, eats the gently caress out of cheatgrass like a champ. Here one is wrecking house on one of our experiments. Would be great to just spread these dudes all over the place to take care of the cheat grass problem but they grow up into miller moths which do the same thing to corn and alfalfa crops.

Field cricket. Boise, Idaho

Dead bird warning

Duck

Ducks

Goose

All poached and dumped under a telephone pole on the side of the interstate.

Cyclocephala sp. - masked chafer. Bilk Creek Mountains, Nevada. These guys seemed pretty lonely, they really just wanted to hang out and would tumble their dumpy asses through the air toward me just to sit on my shoulder or fly into the side of my head. The next night, one of these shoulder buddies bit me on the neck and then accidentally jumped into the flame of my camp stove after I made him get down.

Eleodes sp. - desert stink beetle. Bilk Creek Mountains, Nevada.

interspecies Ménage à trois

Then some privacy

Meloe americanus - buttercup oil beetle munching on some pacific popcorn flower.

Some bee/wasp on a wyethia amplexicaulis flower. I don't have the patience to ID apids and even less patience for bugs that want to look like apids. Trout Creek Mountains, Nevada.

It's reptile time, lets goooo

Young rattlesnake that happened to be chilling 10' from my tent in the middle of the night. Rattlers are the most chill, docile, and forgiving snakes I encounter on a regular basis. They just want to be left alone and will try their hardest not to attract attention. Even if you accidentally step on/very near one, they're more keen to make some noise and scare you off rather than bite, and if they do bite it's very likely dry. Young snakes supposedly cannot control whether or not they deliver venom on a bite, so with rattlesnakes--just like with humans--the only ones I'm really afraid of are the teenagers.

Western fence lizard.

Nevada Side-Blotched lizard, ironically one of the few photos in this series that weren't taken in Nevada.

And here's a bonus return visit from our friend and former critter quest alum, collared lizard. Coworkers liked this one enough to get a canvas print made and now it's hanging on the wall in my lab. If only this little dude could know that just the other day his handsome mug was viewed and appreciated by the secretary of interior, 8th in line for the presidency of the United States... he wouldn't give a poo poo, because lizards be like that, and that's what I love about them.

A Sand Hill Crane in just about the last place I'd expect to see one, up in the Nevada mountains nearing 7000ft with no water for miles apart from shallow streams.
https://i.imgur.com/RXTh7Iz.mp4

Here's the scenery near where the crane was spotted, looking out over the granites and the aptly named Disaster Peak--I almost died on this trip several times over; ran out of gas on the way in, two flat tires on the same truck, lost a UTV spare tire down the side of a mountain, got rained on all night and forced home a little early only to experience the heaviest downpour I've ever seen on the highway. gently caress this place, it's beautiful but absolutely unforgiving country. Can't wait to go back on Tuesday...
https://i.imgur.com/Z8J16cZ.mp4

treat fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jun 20, 2022

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Nice set of photos! Pretty sure that’s a field cricket not a camel cricket though?

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

These photos are incredible! Thank you so much for sharing.

Would you be kind enough to either link or spoiler tag the dead birds? Just out of respect to any sensitivities.

I really like your beetles so much, but my greatest takeaway from this is that there is a popcorn flower???

Saw this today out at Raccoon Creek west of Pittsburgh. No clue but I find it very pretty.

More excitingly, my husband spotted these egg casings. They seem to be hatches and not snacks. There were more in a little burrow nearby! I'm guessing water snake, but who can be sure. Hoping the babies are doing well.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
You're right, it is a field cricket. My bug ID is sloppy and lazy, I'm more of a plant dude. It's a good thing we don't have a thread like this for plants because between every animal I snap there are at least 100 plant photos, and I don't have the time to be posting all that poo poo.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

treat posted:

I've got a huge haul today

Hemileuca hera - Hera buckmoth. Pretty sure this guy was dead iirc, but I appreciate that he made sure to die in the most glorious pose possible. Owyhee Co., Idaho.

This is one of those moth species where the adults do not feed. They have as much energy available to them when they come out of the cocoon, as their digestive system is gone after pupation. The adult form is for mating, which they don't have that long to do. When done, they find somewhere to rest, and quietly run out of energy.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
Those ducks/geese don't look like they were butchered at all, were they poached for being a nuisance or something? Or just someone being a sociopath?

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

treat posted:

You're right, it is a field cricket. My bug ID is sloppy and lazy, I'm more of a plant dude. It's a good thing we don't have a thread like this for plants because between every animal I snap there are at least 100 plant photos, and I don't have the time to be posting all that poo poo.

thank you for the spoiler tags, friend :glomp:

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Those birds were found during migratory waterfowl hunting season so my guess is that whoever shot them wasn't licensed/exceeded their bag limit and didn't want proof of their illegal deeds around, or more likely they just wanted to kill something without dealing with the hassle of dressing & butchering.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Usually wouldnt be too interested in a bee like this, but this one was definitely not a honeybee, rode a few miles on the windshield before leaving unharmed. It was very small, like half the size of your usual honeybee worker

The Killer Dynamo
May 31, 2011

Gonna have a good time tonight
Kayaking a reservoir on the Colorado Front Range today, I saw a family of ducks I've never seen before!

Shots have been enlarged, my sunglasses are polarized and I couldn't see poo poo to take the pictures.

Mama and babies had bright rust-color brown heads, and black and white on their butts. There were 11 of the little guys, so she definitely had her wings full.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
shape of the head leads me to believe thems loons, not ducks! not sure bout the species

cool family tho :3

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Those are either Common or Red-breasted Mergansers. It's tough to tell because the detail is so poor and the females of both species look very similar. Both are also widespread across North America, so location doesn't help much. If you put a gun to my head, I'd guess that they're Red-breasted Mergansers.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

I’m pretty sure there’s a spittlebug (froghopper nymph) in there somewhere

Six-spotted tiger beetle (with eight spots)

Shy crawdad

The Killer Dynamo
May 31, 2011

Gonna have a good time tonight

McGavin posted:

Those are either Common or Red-breasted Mergansers. It's tough to tell because the detail is so poor and the females of both species look very similar. Both are also widespread across North America, so location doesn't help much. If you put a gun to my head, I'd guess that they're Red-breasted Mergansers.

Wow, thanks! I checked both, and the pictures on this page look exactly like our little family. Common Mergansers they are!

https://www.audubon.org/field-guide/bird/common-merganser

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

treat posted:

Some bee/wasp on a wyethia amplexicaulis flower. I don't have the patience to ID apids and even less patience for bugs that want to look like apids. Trout Creek Mountains, Nevada.

Your bee is a soldier fly, Stratiomyidae. The very large eyes and wierd antennae are clues that it's a fly trying to mimic a bee.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I just had a conversation w/ Mr. Crow where instead of the normal range of caws and croaks I'm pretty sure he mimicked the metallic sound of my birdfeeder snapping closed (which summons him to breakfast in the morning). It's now a word in the local crow dialect. Hopefully he's not telling all the other crows about it.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I have a couple of these on my back porch, including one whose web construction I have had to wreck because she keeps attaching to the lid of the quail coop.

Anyway, very pretty little friends. Very hard to photograph!

Some seriously radical Mt. Dew colors.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Was going to swat a mosquito in the car this morning, but noticed it looked wrong.

Ha! You long-legged freaks might be sneaky and quick to flee from my camera out in nature, but on the dashboard you're mine!!

Beautiful fella, love these guys whenever I can get a pic.

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

poverty goat posted:

I just had a conversation w/ Mr. Crow where instead of the normal range of caws and croaks I'm pretty sure he mimicked the metallic sound of my birdfeeder snapping closed (which summons him to breakfast in the morning). It's now a word in the local crow dialect. Hopefully he's not telling all the other crows about it.

Congratulations on your new flock.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Base Emitter posted:

Congratulations on your new flock.

Isn't it a murder if it's crows?

Anyway, have this cutie I found on my doorstep a while back.

A type of ladybug larva. Probably Cryptolaemus montrouzieri, or mealybug destroyer. :black101:
It uses its waxy fur to blend in with its prey.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Scarodactyl posted:

Was going to swat a mosquito in the car this morning, but noticed it looked wrong.

Ha! You long-legged freaks might be sneaky and quick to flee from my camera out in nature, but on the dashboard you're mine!!

Beautiful fella, love these guys whenever I can get a pic.

A long-legged fly, that's actually their accepted common name! Family Dolichopodidae.

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

Apparently our backyard is a daycare facility. See also native Swamp Rose, some sort of goldenrod, and an encouraged patch of American Burnweed.

It's a lot harder to take pictures with a newborn of my own, but the Swamp Milkweed is starting to bloom, so hopefully many critters will be visiting soon!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Geemer posted:

Isn't it a murder if it's crows?

It is, but it's never wrong to call a group of birds a flock.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Tis the season for awkward baby birds! This one's parents weren't around but I walked past another wee magpie yesterday and got thoroughly cussed out by its folks.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
I met a tiny lizard today.

Some sort of Tropical Night Lizard. Probably Lepidophyma reticulatum since I'm on the Pacific side of Costa Rica. It was only about 6 cm long.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
Its little face is so ANGRY, it's adorable!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

NIGHT LIZARD :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

FIGHTER OF THE DAY LIZARD