Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slorb
May 14, 2002

SourKraut posted:

Reading this thread regarding the 6-3 decision on Bruen, and how hopeless everything is with a 6-3 court, then taking a look at TFR and seeing people jerk off over this to thoughts of Thomas and Alito saving their hobbies... really crack pings my mental state.

The type of militant gun owners that hang out in TFR are like qanon people, transphobes, and incels in that they have a world view that is incompatible with a functioning society.

There's no real solution until the big online platforms shut down the algorithmic pipelines because they're stuck in a toxic filter bubble at this point.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/johnkruzel/status/1540051863235690501?s=20&t=6HYfyTYc6LByquIuNteg4g

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

DrThief posted:

Been reading this thread for the last few days and as a European I find it completely bewildering how the USA, the oldest democracy in the world, allows 9 unelected officials to dictate social, fiscal and other serious policy without any checks from the other branches of the government.

I live in a country of about a million people and our own version of the supreme court has 13 judges, and they wouldn’t dare decide on any serious political issues, they would rather declare themselves unfit to make a judgement and refer the issue back to the parliament. They also have to retire at age 75. Most other European supreme courts also have a proportional number of judges according to their population and a compulsory retirement age.

Either abolish the court, or put more judges in it to make it more difficult for any single political party to “capture” the court. Put 30, hell even 60 judges in the Supreme Court. As I understand it the constitution doesn’t set a limit on the number of judges.

Is there any serious discussion going on how to overhaul the supreme court in the USA?

The legislative branch can overrule the Court on any issue that it finds the required majorities for. I would agree with the idea that the Court has to much influence over the different areas of policy, but that's not because they grabbed the power, but because the legislative branch is unable to do anything themselves - e.g. codify Roe or amend the constitution with respect to gunrights.

Putting X additional judges on the Court would not change that fact, expect that it would allow the party currently in control of the White House/Senate to change the makeup of the Court in their favor. Mandatory retirment ages might be a tool to prevent a party from keeping control of a seat through strategic retirement, but that one requires a constitutional amendment, which puts us back on square one.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

DrThief posted:

Been reading this thread for the last few days and as a European I find it completely bewildering how the USA, the oldest democracy in the world, allows 9 unelected officials to dictate social, fiscal and other serious policy without any checks from the other branches of the government.

I live in a country of about a million people and our own version of the supreme court has 13 judges, and they wouldn’t dare decide on any serious political issues, they would rather declare themselves unfit to make a judgement and refer the issue back to the parliament. They also have to retire at age 75. Most other European supreme courts also have a proportional number of judges according to their population and a compulsory retirement age.

Either abolish the court, or put more judges in it to make it more difficult for any single political party to “capture” the court. Put 30, hell even 60 judges in the Supreme Court. As I understand it the constitution doesn’t set a limit on the number of judges.

Is there any serious discussion going on how to overhaul the supreme court in the USA?

There are checks from the other branches of government.

It's just that the other branches of government have become increasingly ineffective and dysfunctional over time, while the Supreme Court hasn't undergone a corresponding decline. This means that not only are they unable to effectively exercise their ability to check the Supreme Court's power, but the Supreme Court has sought to expand its political role to make up for the other branches' ineffectiveness.

That's also why any effort to overhaul the Supreme Court is a non-starter. The problem is fundamentally that the other branches don't have the political will to stand against the Court in the first place. The increasingly problematic nature of the court is just a symptom of a much larger decay in our overall system of government.

Don't get me wrong, the Supreme Court probably does need some reforms apart from that. Even a century ago, the Court tended to win conflicts with the other branches in the long run simply because its composition didn't change that often. If the Supreme Court was at odds with the other branches, then it could typically win the fight by just dragging things out - the odds were good that elections would cause a political shift in the other branches well before enough judges died to shift the position of the Court. But the problem right now is that the other branches are so bogged down in their own messes that they won't even put up the slightest resistance anymore.

Main Paineframe fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jun 24, 2022

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Yeah, the real issue is the Senate and the supermajority requirement. If we had a functioning legislature they could easily correct any issues the court identified with the law, things would be a lot different. Some people like to doompost that in this scenario the court would just play Calvinball and arbitrarily start knocking down every law they don't like over and over again for paper-thin bullshit reasons. I'm not really worried about that, because in a hypothetical future world where we actually eliminate the filibuster and start passing actual, meaningful progressive legislation, it would not be difficult to pack the court as well if necessary. Its getting to that world in the first place which is a bit difficult.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

SourKraut posted:

Reading this thread regarding the 6-3 decision on Bruen, and how hopeless everything is with a 6-3 court, then taking a look at TFR and seeing people jerk off over this to thoughts of Thomas and Alito saving their hobbies... really crack pings my mental state.

I think I'm hitting the point where everything is going to poo poo so fast, and now I have to live every day further worrying about my kids going to school and getting killed just like all the kids before them who have, and just.. I kinda want to just die so I don't have to think about it anymore.

This loving sucks.

My friend, I understand your frustration, but let's not step out onto the ledge quite yet. All this ruling did on a short scale was make New York the same as the rest of the USA, which functionally changes very little about the chances of a mass shooting at a school. Someone who shoots up a school is not going to be making sure their paperwork is in order before they do it.

Yes it opens the door to more drastic things down the road, but let's not talk about self harm over *what might possibly happen*.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

CuddleCryptid posted:

My friend, I understand your frustration, but let's not step out onto the ledge quite yet. All this ruling did on a short scale was make New York the same as the rest of the USA, which functionally changes very little about the chances of a mass shooting at a school. Someone who shoots up a school is not going to be making sure their paperwork is in order before they do it.

Yes it opens the door to more drastic things down the road, but let's not talk about self harm over *what might possibly happen*.

Also, literally zero school shootings have been done by legal concealed carriers who went bonkers after entering the school. More people carrying guns while out and about is absolutely a bad thing but it's pretty much orthogonal to the particular issue of people shooting up schools.

Not directed at anyone in particular, but if following these events is causing anyone serious distress, just stop following them for a while. It makes exactly zero difference to how things play out--that's kind of the bulk of the problem, that the public can't get these assholes to knock it off. The idea that wallowing in the minutia of poo poo they can't actually affect is somehow empowering or necessary even when it materially impacts their well-being is exactly the kind of maladaptive coping strategy therapists try to talk people out of.

Anyone feeling the urge to try to get goons in this or any other thread to talk them off a figurative or metaphorical ledge would be better served logging off for a few days.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jun 24, 2022

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Main Paineframe posted:

There are checks from the other branches of government.

It's just that the other branches of government have become increasingly ineffective and dysfunctional over time, while the Supreme Court hasn't undergone a corresponding decline.

The real solution is to ensure there are equal number of liberal and conservative judges on the Supreme Court to ensure every decision is bipartisan and therefor only effectual for capital.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

SourKraut posted:

I think I'm hitting the point where everything is going to poo poo so fast, and now I have to live every day further worrying about my kids going to school and getting killed just like all the kids before them who have, and just.. I kinda want to just die so I don't have to think about it anymore.

This loving sucks.

If reading about politics on the internet makes you feel like this, then you really need to log off. Uninstall Twitter, stop reading the news for a few days, and go find yourself a hobby.

Mass shootings are still tremendously rare. While they're certainly happening way more often than any sane person should want them to, the chances of your own kids being involved in a school shooting are still extremely remote.

To be clear, I'm not saying people shouldn't care about mass shootings because they're rare. If you want to get involved and do things to make mass shootings even rarer, that's good and you should do that!

But if your only response to mass shooting news is to have panic attacks or dream about the deaths of yourself and/or those close to you, then you are not actually accomplishing anything or helping anyone by reading about mass shootings all the time. You're just hurting yourself for no good reason. Stop it.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

RIP Roe v Wade

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Dobbs ruling issued, same essecially as the leaked document. Written by Alito, concurred by Roberts. Roe V Wade is official dead.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Dobbs just dropped. Bye Roe, Griswold next

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
"It is time to heed the Constitution and return the issue of abortion to the people's elected representatives."

Bullshit. Why do guns get a historical test that the people's elected representatives are not able to handle, but abortion is able to be handed to the people's representatives.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Cimber posted:

"It is time to heed the Constitution and return the issue of abortion to the people's elected representatives."

Bullshit. Why do guns get a historical test that the people's elected representatives are not able to handle, but abortion is able to be handed to the people's representatives.

Guns, like corporations and evangelicals, are people and have inherent rights. Women, and others capable of carrying children, are only things, and must be carefully regulated by legislatures

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

So is this ruling the same as the draft that leaked?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/fordm/status/1540338064324698112?s=20&t=rHXOH-T8Qi7t-5rplqvh6Q

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Glad my wife miscarried at 20 weeks two weeks ago instead of now because Georgia would now force her into sepsis, killing her and the fetus instead of ending the nonviable pregnancy and keeping her alive

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

yeah there is absolutely zero doubt in my mind that same-sex marriage is next on the chopping block

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
At this very moment abortion is now illegal in a number of states, as they had laws on the books that explicitly said that said law would not take effect until the moment that the SC revoked Roe.

That has happened, triggering all those anti abortion laws.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

yeah there is absolutely zero doubt in my mind that same-sex marriage is next on the chopping block
I mean getting rid of Roe makes all of the privacy decisions that follow after that vulnerable

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Hmm, so, Clarence, should we review Loving v. Virginia too?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Reading the scotusblog live feed, it sounds like Roberts' contribution is to beg the court to slow down and return to frog boiling

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Extremely glad my partner and I have massively accelerated our plans and will be married by the end of the year. Having a pre-existing marriage may or may not save us in the event that Obergefell goes but it's better than nothing.

haveblue posted:

Reading the scotusblog live feed, it sounds like Roberts' contribution is to beg the court to slow down and return to frog boiling

Oh no, Roberts, are you mad your allegorical murder trolley is now under the control of a cabal of multi-track drifting enthusiasts? So sad.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

gently caress. No other words for this. SCOTUS needs to be ripped asunder. Glad we got my spouses tubes tied after our 2nd kid.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Truely this is tyranny of the minority.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

The conservative legal movement understands power and recognizes that power is to be wielded to remake the world in your vision. The liberals have no answer for this because they view power as a thing simply to hold and marvel at. Of the people who didn’t want and could have stopped this by making better choices, I blame, in descending order, RBG, Hillary, and Obama. Joe Biden is up there too

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Does anyone know if there's already cases working their way through lower courts that'll let SCOTUS overturn Griswold and Obergfell?

Thomas explicitly called for them to be overturned in his concurrence, so I'd assume that means someone is going to petition SCOTUS to do exactly that fairly soon.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

What can be done about it? Will people simply accept the loss of gay marriage? The loss of condoms and birth control pills? I’m pretty sure they will. There’s no channel for my sense of dissatisfaction. There’s nowhere that I can turn, that I can see at the moment, anyway.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

HashtagGirlboss posted:

The conservative legal movement understands power and recognizes that power is to be wielded to remake the world in your vision. The liberals have no answer for this because they view power as a thing simply to hold and marvel at. Of the people who didn’t want and could have stopped this by making better choices, I blame, in descending order, RBG, Hillary, and Obama. Joe Biden is up there too
Agreed

Obama allowed a seat to be stolen from him

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

azflyboy posted:

Does anyone know if there's already cases working their way through lower courts that'll let SCOTUS overturn Griswold and Obergfell?

Thomas explicitly called for them to be overturned in his concurrence, so I'd assume that means someone is going to petition SCOTUS to do exactly that fairly soon.
If there aren’t cases already in the pipeline then they will be ready to go by next week I would imagine

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

haveblue posted:

perhaps he should murder-suicide them all

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Cimber posted:

At this very moment abortion is now illegal in a number of states, as they had laws on the books that explicitly said that said law would not take effect until the moment that the SC revoked Roe.

That has happened, triggering all those anti abortion laws.

It's going to be something to see what happens in all the legacy law states. Michigan, my state, is one of them, so we now have made abortion illegal. But the Gov, state DA, and the county DAs of most counties with major cities in them have all gone on record saying that no one will actually be persecuted for it. That said, AFAIK Planned Parenthood's plan is still to basically shut down and not being persecuted is not the same as not spending time in pretrial jail.

At any rate, it's a good time to remember that vasectomies are cheap, fairly painless, and far safer than any of the other medical options.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

I AM GRANDO posted:

What can be done about it? Will people simply accept the loss of gay marriage? The loss of condoms and birth control pills? I’m pretty sure they will. There’s no channel for my sense of dissatisfaction. There’s nowhere that I can turn, that I can see at the moment, anyway.

Well the civil rights era was full of stochastic terror attacks on governmental buildings, politicians' homes and offices, etc, so I imagine that's where people are going to turn again.

It's interesting how well documented the collapse of the US legal framework is, I'm sure it'll be good reading for whoever survives us.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

I AM GRANDO posted:

People will easily accept it all. The truth is they "care", but not that much. It is lot like how a lot of people would answer yes if you ask them should we save the polar bears. All of it falls under the category of "sure, if someone else can take care of that issue, I guess that would be swell, but it doesn't bother me enough to make me do anything about it".

FlamingLiberal posted:

Agreed

"Allowed" ...sure, if that makes you feel better.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
I hope all the ladies who protest voted for Jill Stein are happy.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

This is also all happening during historically high flight prices. Tens of thousands of forced births are going to happen in the near future.

Accubitus
Nov 7, 2020
Is anyone aware of any charities that I can donate to that *directly* impact women's ability to get an abortion? I'm thinking like organizations that provide transportation, that kind of thing.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I would like to overturn Washington v Great Britain please and thank you.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

Agreed

I mean if we are going to this level of rhetoric any leftist that didn't vote for Hillary Clinton as a means to stick it the Democratic Party is culpable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Cimber posted:

I hope all the ladies who protest voted for Jill Stein are happy.

This is an miserable take, thank you. I hope you reconsider your absolutely rotten morality.