Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trevorrrrrrrrrrrrr
Jul 4, 2008

Jealous Cow posted:

“Already settled case law”

And scotus is allowed to overturn settled case law.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

Kammat posted:

Pelosi giving a statement now, with one bit along the lines of "Better vote Dem in November so we can fix this"

WELL WHAT THE LIVING gently caress DO YOU HAVE NOW YOU [CENSORED]

She campaigned for an anti-choice democrat less than three months ago who ended up winning. She refuses to use pro-choice as a litmus test. Voting for more Dems is useless if they’re just like Cuellar

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Have Some Flowers! posted:

Probably sooner than we think. Here's the green light to reactionary activists to bring the cases forward:

https://twitter.com/fordm/status/1540338064324698112?s=20&t=icRhPAD_I3R1HoHqrTDYIg

This would include Loving v Virginia as well, would it not?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

https://twitter.com/jbouie/status/1540348734533296128

fugitive slave laws are back on the menu boys.

anyone that isn't for court expansion or getting rid of it entirely at this point can get hosed

A few blue states have already passed laws declaring they will not cooperate with out-of-state requests in these areas. Should be some fun court (and non-court) battles in the future

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Probably sooner than we think. Here's the green light to reactionary activists to bring the cases forward:

https://twitter.com/fordm/status/1540338064324698112?s=20&t=icRhPAD_I3R1HoHqrTDYIg

gently caress the supreme court. gently caress the entire government of this hellscape country.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

haveblue posted:

A few blue states have already passed laws declaring they will not cooperate with out-of-state requests in these areas. Should be some fun court (and non-court) battles in the future

just wait until they make a federal ban, then the feds will just ignore state law! My bet is that red-state cops will have no qualms about crossing into blue states to rough some abortionists up. It's probably a matter of time until we have actual militias from red states going into blue states to citizens arrest providers.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
I wonder though if there is a silver lining. Abortion was pretty much the thing that held a lot of the various conservative groups together. With that gone are we now going to see the high water mark of modern American Conservatism? Will the big tent republicans start fracturing?

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Cimber posted:

I wonder though if there is a silver lining. Abortion was pretty much the thing that held a lot of the various conservative groups together. With that gone are we now going to see the high water mark of modern American Conservatism? Will the big tent republicans start fracturing?

Nah they’ll just put that energy into stopping gay marriage now. Or something else.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Cimber posted:

Why would anyone leave the coalition of people bound together by a belief in successfully using power?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Cimber posted:

As soon as it leaked, McConnell started musing about what they’d go after next.

They’re already moving on trans rights. Gay marriage is there too.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Cimber posted:

No, because now they can go after a federal ban, same-sex marriage, interracial marriage, hell they would probably try to take away women's suffrage at this point.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Cimber posted:

No because they've gotten what they want *and* with promises of more of what they want on the horizon. If anything that's gonna make conservative voters more enthusiastic.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Cimber posted:

Nah they’re frothingat the mouth to go after LGBTQ+ rights next

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

https://twitter.com/jbouie/status/1540348734533296128

fugitive slave laws are back on the menu boys.

anyone that isn't for court expansion or getting rid of it entirely at this point can get hosed

Will the first rich arsehole paying for his mistresses abortion set a precedent to get that overruled?

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006
We are confident that the Islamic logic, culture, and discourse can prove their superiority in all fields over all schools of thought and theories.

Cimber posted:

Antivax fervor has been channeled into anti-gay and BLM momentum, this energy isn't going away.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Cimber posted:

No, it wasn’t. Abortion was just the designated method. What they’re held together by is contempt and a drive to wield power and enforce their own dominionist policies. It’s not the Anti-Abortion Party, it’s the Terrible Assholes Party.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Cimber posted:

Hell no they've got plenty of others to hate on beside just women.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Cimber posted:

If anything, this will galvanize them. Remember that after this decision leaked, there were a few protests that the DEMOCRATS quashed. They have carte blanche from both parties to strip away as many rights as they can.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Madkal posted:

Will the first rich arsehole paying for his mistresses abortion set a precedent to get that overruled?

Pfft. No. Laws don't apply to rich people. They'll be able to get their abortion, even in a state the explicitly bans it.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Srice posted:

No because they've gotten what they want *and* with promises of more of what they want on the horizon. If anything that's gonna make conservative voters more enthusiastic.

Randalor posted:

If anything, this will galvanize them. Remember that after this decision leaked, there were a few protests that the DEMOCRATS quashed. They have carte blanche from both parties to strip away as many rights as they can.

It is not really possible for conservative voters to get more enthusiastic. They have been by far the most reliable voters for a very long time. When Democrats vote, conservatives lose. Almost all of the slack in the electorate is on the left.

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Hey, I've got Navigate...

Axetrain posted:

And public education's still out there, "perverting and grooming" kids. There's still a long way down to go on this nightmare reactionary ride.

Have Some Flowers! fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jun 24, 2022

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Rigel posted:

It is not really possible for conservative voters to get more enthusiastic. They have been by far the most reliable voters for a very long time. When Democrats vote, conservatives lose. Almost all of the slack in the electorate is on the left.

and when democrats vote, Republicans cry 'fraud' and do whatever they can to put roadblocks up to prevent democrat voting.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Things are going to get so bad so quickly.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Axetrain posted:

They're not even done with women. This ruling says abortion isn't a right, but their endgame all along has been banning abortion nationwide. Fetal personhood is the next step, not sitting smugly on their porches saying job well done.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Galaxy brain thinking here. Let's make it so that women can't get abortions, and then overturn a ruling so that states can ban contraception as well. Congratulations republicans, you're creating state laws where you live so that no woman wants to have sex with you.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Astro7x posted:

Galaxy brain thinking here. Let's make it so that women can't get abortions, and then overturn a ruling so that states can ban contraception as well. Congratulations republicans, you're creating state laws where you live so that no woman wants to have sex with you.

Republicans don’t care if they want to or not.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Astro7x posted:

Yeah they don’t care about that, want is not part of the equation for these sickos

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Oh man gonna get so god drat many fund raising texts out of this. Actual legislation? Nah go gently caress yourself you peons.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
What can people do in states which have/will have these kinds of draconian, undemocratic laws shoved down their throat? How about a general strike? At least, if you live or work in one of these places:
  • If a business entity, avoid new projects or investments in the state. Consider relocating existing facilities and investments to locations with functioning democratic governments.

• If possible, delay, avoid, or minimize payment of taxes to the state. Examine investment strategies to reduce taxable income. Delay payment for things like vehicle registrations, permits, licenses, etc.

• Delay or avoid major purchases that result in tax revenue for the state (vehicles, major appliances, jewelry, luxury goods, etc.).

• Avoid major purchases from companies headquartered in these places, and let them know why.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

honestly the best thing you can do for yourself if you live in a red state is loving leave.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Cimber posted:

No. Fascists aren't happy until people are being put in ovens. If anything this will embolden them because they are the only political group (besides capital) being catered to in American politics. The system works for them, and only them.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

honestly the best thing you can do for yourself if you live in a red state is loving leave.

My wife and I made a pact a few years ago that if/when Roe gets overturned, we'd leave the US. We'll be in the Netherlands by the end of the year. I know it's a huge exercise in privilege, but gently caress living in a country where dropping my kids off at kindergarten may be a death sentence, or if my daughter ever gets pregnant she'll be forced by the government to carry the pregnancy to term (even if it's life threatening).

Today was the line for us. We're out.

FLIPADELPHIA fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jun 24, 2022

Aegis
Apr 28, 2004

The sign kinda says it all.

I AM GRANDO posted:

This would include Loving v Virginia as well, would it not?

Loving has two prongs: (1) Equal Protection clause of the 14th Amendment and (2) Substantive Due Process. Arguably, Loving would still stand on just the Equal Protection argument even if the court repudiated its Substantive Due Process case law.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Like all events that create lots of refugees it will be primarily the rich and middle class who get out. If you can do it you should but once we're at the point people are fleeing we're past it getting better.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Cimber posted:

No, because I believe that all that can be done is to codify the right to an abortion through law (right?). So the fight will change to "If they democrats win, they are going to make it a law that everyone can abort a baby at 39 weeks!!!"

They still need to protect it.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

For now. What happens when Florida passes a law saying their bounty hunters can go after abortions in other states? How do you think that SCOTUS ruling will go?

Buckle the gently caress up, poo poo is going to get bad.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Thats severely ableist. Very few people can afford to do that.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Things are going to get so bad so quickly.

Yep, and Thomas' poo poo in that concurrence is pointing exactly where they want to go with it. 'Happy Pride, we're coming for your civil rights you godless fucks'

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

CommieGIR posted:

"if you can" is obviously implied. It is still true.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Aegis posted:

Loving has two prongs: (1) Equal Protection clause of the 14th Amendment and (2) Substantive Due Process. Arguably, Loving would still stand on just the Equal Protection argument even if the court repudiated its Substantive Due Process case law.

The Supreme Court had no power to gut the VRA the way they did but they did it anyways. Laws are not magic binding geases, they're just some loving words that they pretty clearly do not give a poo poo about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

That doesn't mean it's not the best move if you can do it.