Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
"Antivillain Character on the Boys is not actually a huge racist" is gonna be a hard sell given the trajectory of the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

soldier boy is definitely a racist but the intention of the scene is literally this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlhOUyy4wbs

bust rodd.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Morrow posted:

"Antivillain Character on the Boys is not actually a huge racist" is gonna be a hard sell given the trajectory of the show.

Soldier Boy is definitely a huge racist. He led the team where they wouldn't let the black guy show his face.

But in this case, his comment is underlining the fact that he's completely out of control and doesn't care about civilians, which is the main fracture point in this episode the between Annie/MM and Butcher/Hughie factions.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
i cant believe soldier boy had another gay panic at herogasm

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Disagree, Soldier Boy is shown to be the OPPOSITE kind of person who brags about killing innocent people, they had a WHOLE SCENE WITH HUGHIE about it like 20 minutes earlier. The smirk on his face is one of dismissive racism, and MM hears the comment and rage covers his face. Seems very cut & dry to me.

Like literally as cut & dry as “you yellow bastard” in season 2.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Dongicus posted:

soldier boy is definitely a racist but the intention of the scene is literally this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlhOUyy4wbs

bust rodd.

It can be and is probably both.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.

Bust Rodd posted:

and MM hears the comment and rage covers his face.

You don't think the guy would be mad about someone's callous disregard for killing his family? That's literally the initial motivation for Hughie from the first scene of the show. He even confronts A-Train about it again this episode!

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Miss Broccoli posted:

they arent trying to make feminist commentary with hughie u absolute bumblebees, hes obviously traumatised by all the bad poo poo thats happened to him and the person he loves and how as a mere mortal hes constantly at risk and can do absolutely nothing to help the person who he cares deeply for yet keeps asking to be in harms way

Miss Broccoli posted:

also god if you can't see that they are going for a 'the abyss stares back' type development with those two cmonnnnnnnn

:hmmyes:

Dalael posted:

It can be and is probably both.

Yeah it was both being a callous rear end in a top hat and a racist.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
I thought that SB was intentionally trying to piss off MM even more by saying something racist (implying black men father a lot of illegitimate children).

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What is this, the local?

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
It shows Soldier Boy is the same type of casual, petty dick as Homelander, just less dangerous. He's still a racist who has no issues with kicking people lower on the totem pole.

He can't hear your heartbeat to know what's bugging you, nor can he fly at the speed of sound or obliterate cities with his eyes. So he's less dangerous. But he's also less ambitious: all he wants is all the drugs and young starlets because he has a basic sense of self-worth that isn't dependent on constant validation.

To complete the Homelander parallel: did he know Lady Liberty was a nazi and was ok with it because she was hot?

EDIT: Wait, Vought was her husband, who directly experimented on him to create him. So it's not like he just knew her as some random superhero with an occasional German accent: he knows her as the nazi scientist who created compound V's widow. Frankenstein's Monster banging Frankenstein's wife.

Morrow fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jun 24, 2022

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Soldier Boy is a reflection of 20th century American values, with all the baggage that entails. Racism (I hesitate to call it casual, but not as virulent as nationalistic racism we're seeing a resurgence of nowadays. Brutish seems like a good word for it) along with homophobia and sexism, and the belief that might makes right- specifically, his might. Anyone he kills by default must have it coming to them (and collateral damage doesn't count). MM confronting him isn't a reason for introspection, it's a challenge to his righteousness.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
dude loves chop socky oriental sauce, how can he be racist

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I would guess that Soldier Boy didn’t know Liberty was Stormfront because it’s funnier in a “man out of time has missed a few developments” way

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Eau de MacGowan posted:

dude loves chop socky oriental sauce, how can he be racist

THAT CHOP SOCKY SAUCE HUGHIE, THAT'S MY ARC FOR THE SEASON

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

christmas boots posted:

I would guess that Soldier Boy didn’t know Liberty was Stormfront because it’s funnier in a “man out of time has missed a few developments” way

Don't think that he would even have heard the name Stormfront after just walking through New York for an hour or two.

I'm guessing that he knew her as a rehabilitated Nazi, if he was close to Vought.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!
Great episode! I laughed way too hard at the juxtaposition between MM having OCD and later getting slimered. Like first he gets irritated at Termite bumping into him and getting something 'sticky' on him then he opens the door and :gonk:

I wonder if they could have tipped the odds further by having Starlight contribute to the fight. At this point Homelander has little reason not to go scorched earth on these people anyway. Ditto for Neumann who could have been hiding in the bushes getting ready to pop HL like a grape while he's distracted.

What was the scene that Soldier Boys actor refused to do?

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Who was the ninja guy in the elevator that cut himself, have we seen him before

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I thought it was a fantastic episode. I think probably one of the best episodes they've put out to date. But yeah V24 clearly is overwhelmingly much more powerful than normal compound V.

I rewatched S2 recently and this makes a lot of sense given how Vought was trying to refine Compound V so it provides more consistently useful effects on adults.

As to whether Annie just doomed the world, it's possible, but I can see it as a calculated risk to call his bluff. He said he's accept being feared if he can't be loved to control her, so if she shows she can't be controlled, what's his actual motive? Is he really able to give up the adoration he so desperately needs? Of course, we know there's "another side" to him that hates that need to be adored, so maybe...

Soldier Boy's whole deal (apparently having been deployed to Afghanistan, in addition to WW2 before that) raises some questions about the amount of effort Vought had to put into having supes in the military, given that there was apparently a pretty long history up until very recently (?) of that being fairly normal. I dunno, maybe Solider Boy was an actual member of the US military, so he was kind of an exception.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Black Noir just dipping and how genuinely upset Homelander was about it was pretty funny.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

thebardyspoon posted:

Black Noir just dipping and how genuinely upset Homelander was about it was pretty funny.

Homelander isolated to the point that he's trying to genuinely connect with Annie, talking to himself in the mirror and trusting the Deep as his point man.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

This episode had so many wonderful jokes.

"The Cos, that's a real man. Holy poo poo, did he make some strong drinks."

"It was Homelander's idea!"

FireWorksWell fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jun 24, 2022

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012

GunnerJ posted:

I rewatched S2 recently and this makes a lot of sense given how Vought was trying to refine Compound V so it provides more consistently useful effects on adults.

As to whether Annie just doomed the world, it's possible, but I can see it as a calculated risk to call his bluff. He said he's accept being feared if he can't be loved to control her, so if she shows she can't be controlled, what's his actual motive? Is he really able to give up the adoration he so desperately needs? Of course, we know there's "another side" to him that hates that need to be adored, so maybe...

Soldier Boy's whole deal (apparently having been deployed to Afghanistan, in addition to WW2 before that) raises some questions about the amount of effort Vought had to put into having supes in the military, given that there was apparently a pretty long history up until very recently (?) of that being fairly normal. I dunno, maybe Solider Boy was an actual member of the US military, so he was kind of an exception.

They probably tried it a few times before realising people with permanent superpowers will eventually stop listening to you and they need to be kept happy or they'll crush your skull, not good soldiers. With V24 they're reliant on their commanding officers etc. if they want to keep their powers.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Maybe there's an impending twist with the Hughie Starlight conflict.

A huge theme with several characters is inherited trauma and parents inflicting trauma on their children.

It's most prominent with Butcher having issues with his dad, and inflicting his own flavor of abuse onto Ryan, but we also see Homelander inflicting his even weirder childhood abuse onto Ryan as well (lets push you off the roof to see what happens!)

MM has a similar story. His dad was obsessed with stopping superheroes from inflicting violence on his community, neglected his family and then died from an apathetic superhero. MM is in danger of walking that same path.

I don't remember much of Hughie's story, it seems like his dad's a pragmatic pushover who has come to terms with how powerless he is in the big picture. Hughie is diverging from that in a big way, and that's not all good, but he's really charting his own path.

Except when we run into Starlight. She was raised by a domineering woman who had no respect for her agency or power. She was expected to dance and perform and ignore her own pain, never making decisions for herself.

And I don't want to be hard on Starlight here, she's definitely not her mother, but thematically that's the road she'll head down unless diverted.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
I'm glad this episode resolved the multiple page power level of Homelander discussion by finally showing him in a fight against other supes and...

turns out he's not that badass after all.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

GunnerJ posted:

Regular formula Compund V has an extremely high incidence of lethal or disfiguring side effects when administered to adults. That was the point of the mental asylum last season: Vought needed a supply of disposable subjects to they could refine a new version of V that reliably works on adults. The original Dr Vought didn't care, because he was a Nazi, but there's no telling how many casualties the army racked up trying to make one Soldier Boy. Probably hundreds. That's why the military killed the project after the war ended; they could no longer stomach those casualty level under peace-time.

Compound V has a much lower incidence of side effects when given to infants, so that's what Vought focused on next. They also lowered the dosage, which is why Soldier Boy is so much stronger than modern superheroes. Unfortunately, kids who grow up with superpowers tend to turn into the type of narcissistic assholes you see in the show. Every once in a while they get a Black Noir, or a Starlight, but they're too rare to be useful militarily.

So then they tried to breed their own perfect superhero, in a lab, carefully molding his personality from birth to be the perfect American hero. That's Homelander. You see how that turned out.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jun 24, 2022

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I almost thought Black Noir was going to say something when Homelander was asking him who he thought was behind everything.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

PostNouveau posted:

I almost thought Black Noir was going to say something when Homelander was asking him who he thought was behind everything.

I was expecting him to pull out some index cards with pre-written responses (Yes, No, I don't know, And the world will be as one, etc)

Verus
Jun 3, 2011

AUT INVENIAM VIAM AUT FACIAM

Dr. Clockwork posted:

I'm glad this episode resolved the multiple page power level of Homelander discussion by finally showing him in a fight against other supes and...

yeah, seriously, what's the threat now? we were supposed to believe he was a walking doomsday weapon, but what's stopping Vought from giving a thousand doses of temporary V to some trained soldiers and obliterating the guy (if he snaps)? hell, if MM had just taken the temp V they probably would've stomped him in a 4v1 fight.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Verus posted:

yeah, seriously, what's the threat now? we were supposed to believe he was a walking doomsday weapon, but what's stopping Vought from giving a thousand doses of temporary V to some trained soldiers and obliterating the guy (if he snaps)? hell, if MM had just taken the temp V they probably would've stomped him in a 4v1 fight.

It could just be that Homelander has never had to actually exert himself before, and will finally start using all his strength.

Given how addictive V24 is, giving it to a thousand soldiers is likely to cause all sorts of hilarious problems and consequences, so I'm looking forward to them doing that.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Verus posted:

None of the hits they got on Homelander actually stuck and when he thought he was in genuine danger at the end he just threw them off him and peaced out. Even with a whole platoon of people with Butcher's strength and powers, how are they going to stop Homelander flying to Washington at the speed of sound and decapitating the government before anyone even knows what's up, or if they do ambush him just flying off and doing something else whilst their powers time out?

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jun 24, 2022

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I don’t think hughie was on the same level as the others either. Butcher is probably not indicative of the normal outcome of temp v

Verus
Jun 3, 2011

AUT INVENIAM VIAM AUT FACIAM

No Dignity posted:

None of the hits they got on Homelander actually stuck and when he thought he was in genuine danger at the end he just threw them off him and peaced out. Even with a whole paltoon of people with Butcher's strength and powers, how are they going to stop Homelander flying to Washington at the speed of sound and decapitating the government before anyone even knows what's up, or if they do ambush him just flying off and doing something else whilst their powers time out?

they held him down and he struggled to escape. they caused physical damage because we can see a bruise on his face. even without soldier boy's deus ex machina power, just get one or two more strong people to hold him down and keep bashing his face in the same spot until he's dead.

obviously that is not satisfactory storytelling, but oh well

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Verus posted:

It'd be drat corny, I feel, but maybe Homelander really wasn't as strong on the offensive as we were led to believe, and hype/fear/his insane durability are part of what made him powerful. His lasers barely denting Stormfront, bringing in Black Noir to help deal with Maeve...my memory's a bit hazy, how often have we seen him up against another Supe by himself? Starlight's plan of just having a dozen or so supes beat the piss out of him would definitely work, I think, they just need to stop him from being able to fly off.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I think Butcher burned his chest too with his eye lasers. Or it could've just been burning his suit. Seeing as he did have a bruise, I am choosing to believe it was the former.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Dr. Clockwork posted:

I do wonder if Butcher has abnormally high power levels fueled by hate and experience or if anyone taking 24V could go toe to toe with Homelander. If it's the latter, HL seems way less dangerous. Downgrades him from "unstoppable world killer when he snaps" to "easily defeatable but might still kill a few thousand first".

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
New prediction for the season finale: Maeve releases the plane video and Homelander runs away to a fortress of solitude instead of burning the world down. He probably kills Maeve for it but does not burn down NYC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Shitshow posted:

So A-train is dead, right?

Last week, I made up a fake spoiler for a friend about that happening in the episode. This week in a group chat I made a reference to the joke and another friend got angry because he thought it was a spoiler for the new episode. Today I watched the new episode and it happened...oops