Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Kammat posted:

Pelosi giving a statement now, with one bit along the lines of "Better vote Dem in November so we can fix this"

WELL WHAT THE LIVING gently caress DO YOU HAVE NOW YOU [CENSORED]

Here's the official statement, for those interested.

https://www.speaker.gov/newsroom/62422-1

quote:

Washington, D.C. – Speaker Nancy Pelosi issued this statement after a Republican-appointed Supreme Court majority voted to overturn Roe v. Wade:

“Today, the Republican-controlled Supreme Court has achieved the GOP’s dark and extreme goal of ripping away women’s right to make their own reproductive health decisions. Because of Donald Trump, Mitch McConnell, the Republican Party and their supermajority on the Supreme Court, American women today have less freedom than their mothers.

“With Roe now out of their way, radical Republicans are charging ahead with their crusade to criminalize health freedom. In the Congress, Republicans are plotting a nationwide abortion ban. In the states, Republicans want to arrest doctors for offering reproductive care and women for terminating a pregnancy. GOP extremists are even threatening to criminalize contraception, as well as in-vitro fertilization and post-miscarriage care.

“A woman’s fundamental health decisions are her own to make, in consultation with her doctor and her loved ones – not to be dictated by far-right politicians. While Republicans seek to punish and control women, Democrats will keep fighting ferociously to enshrine Roe v. Wade into law.

“This cruel ruling is outrageous and heart-wrenching. But make no mistake: the rights of women and all Americans are on the ballot this November.”

Bolding mine. Have the Dems done anything to protect women's rights? All I can recall them doing is passing an infrastructure bill after arguing amongst themselves (Manchin). These statements have had me rolling my eyes since I honestly don't believe those in power legitimately don't actually want to do anything to help us. There always seem to be so many avenues available to the GOP and a GOP president to strip rights and make life worse for all but a select few, but Dems are stonewalled to do anything to reverse this, or even provide basic aid to all but the elites, and the MIC.

And of course, as was pointed out, you can't let an opportunity to campaign go to waste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Rigel posted:

"if you can" is obviously implied. It is still true.

Is it true from a D&D politics perspective? If your goal is giving yourself the best chances it's absolutely true. But part of D&D is zooming out and looking at societal effects and political effects and is the sympathetic upper class fleeing a state a good thing for the future class struggles and fights that will take place in that state? I don't know. I don't think so though I'm not going to tell anyone to not flee. Just that it's way more complicated.

And I get the semantics that loam was explicitly saying get out for yourself. I'm just wondering off of that if it's a good thing overall. A good discussion too is what you can do once you are out. The work isn't over once you secure your own safety.

Gumball Gumption fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jun 24, 2022

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

My concern is that a lot of the blue states are also plentiful with reds, and many of the blues in those states aren't particularly useful anyway.

Like what blue state do you move to, that has the highest likelihood of preserving those rights?

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

honestly the best thing you can do for yourself if you live in a red state is loving leave.

Love to, wanna bankroll that for me?

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005
The subject aside, Roe was just a terribly written opinion.

“We, uh, really want this. Look at this case law from other countries! Anyway, we know our logic is dogshit so you can’t apply it to any other case.”

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Just leave the state you live in won't work because you better believe that the republicans are going to pass a federal ban on abortion the second they have the chance.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Velocity Raptor posted:

Bolding mine. Have the Dems done anything to protect women's rights? All I can recall them doing is passing an infrastructure bill after arguing amongst themselves (Manchin). These statements have had me rolling my eyes since I honestly don't believe those in power legitimately don't actually want to do anything to help us. There always seem to be so many avenues available to the GOP and a GOP president to strip rights and make life worse for all but a select few, but Dems are stonewalled to do anything to reverse this, or even provide basic aid to all but the elites, and the MIC.

And of course, as was pointed out, you can't let an opportunity to campaign go to waste.

https://www.reuters.com/article/obama-abortion/obama-says-abortion-rights-law-not-a-top-priority-idUKN2946642020090430

quote:

“I believe that women should have the right to choose,” Obama told a news conference marking his first 100 days in office. “But I think that the most important thing we can do to tamp down some of the anger surrounding this issue is to focus on those areas that we can agree on.”

They thought it was more important to not be divisive than it was to codify abortion rights. The Democrats literally believe that not angering Republicans is more important than protecting women's rights to control their own bodies

So no, they haven't done much except lean on Roe and pretend everything was fine

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Gumball Gumption posted:

Is it true from a D&D politics perspective? If your goal is giving yourself the best chances it's absolutely true. But part of D&D is zooming out and looking at societal effects and political effects and is the sympathetic upper class fleeing a state a good thing for the future class struggles and fights that will take place in that state? I don't know. I don't think so though I'm not going to tell anyone to not flee. Just that it's way more complicated.

If someone is trying to flee a red state I'm not going to say a single word encouraging them to stay and suffer. The most I'd do is suggest they consider moving to a purple state if they can. CO or NV instead of CA. PA or NC instead of NY.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Ah ok I am learning that in fact folks shouldn’t take care of their selves, what a weird reaction to “take care of yourself if you can”

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Ornery and Hornery posted:

My concern is that a lot of the blue states are also plentiful with reds, and many of the blues in those states aren't particularly useful anyway.

Like what blue state do you move to, that has the highest likelihood of preserving those rights?

New York and California, mostly. A blue person moving to a state also makes it (marginally) more blue so it's partly a self-fulfilling prophecy. No state is 100% blue but those two and some others have consistently elected pro-abortion governments for a very long time

If there's federal movement on a full national ban then all bets are off but if you want to do something for your family today those are your options

Aegis
Apr 28, 2004

The sign kinda says it all.

TGLT posted:

The Supreme Court had no power to gut the VRA the way they did but they did it anyways. Laws are not magic binding geases, they're just some loving words that they pretty clearly do not give a poo poo about.

Ok?

My point was that Thomas can leave Loving off his list of "substantive due process cases I want to overturn" in part because Loving doesn't rely on substantive due process the way Roe, Obergefell, and Griswold do.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Cimber posted:

I wonder though if there is a silver lining. Abortion was pretty much the thing that held a lot of the various conservative groups together. With that gone are we now going to see the high water mark of modern American Conservatism? Will the big tent republicans start fracturing?

There's always something worse. Their hatred knows no boundaries. Today it's abortion, tomorrow it will be contraceptives, then after that gay marriage, and then interracial marriage, and further down the hate filled rabbit hole they will go.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Aegis posted:

Ok?

My point was that Thomas can leave Loving off his list of "substantive due process cases I want to overturn" in part because Loving doesn't rely on substantive due process the way Roe, Obergefell, and Griswold do.

Also because it applies to him personally.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Fighting Trousers posted:

Love to, wanna bankroll that for me?

I especially love people leaving the country, I'm literally a citizen of France and I couldn't just move.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Lemming posted:

https://www.reuters.com/article/obama-abortion/obama-says-abortion-rights-law-not-a-top-priority-idUKN2946642020090430

They thought it was more important to not be divisive than it was to codify abortion rights. The Democrats literally believe that not angering Republicans is more important than protecting women's rights to control their own bodies

So no, they haven't done much except lean on Roe and pretend everything was fine

There are also many democrats who are anti-abortion. Bob Casey was a big part of forwarding g the now-redundant strategy of chipping away at people’s rights with increasingly narrow restrictions. Democrats in leadership are pretty fine with losing abortion because the party can weather that in some form. They don’t want to lose all the people who would dump them if they went in on really trying to protect anyone’s rights.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Aegis posted:

Ok?

I'm saying the arguably poo poo is nonsense. Loving v Virginia came nearly a century after the 14th Amendment. Thomas isn't including it in his list because it might personally affect him, but this is absolutely a green light to reactionaries to give it a shot. We certainly have lived in a country where the 14th Amendment existed and there was no protected right to interracial marriage before.

edit: Like Thomas doesn't have to include it in his list to make it clear that every right that rests on the 14th amendment is up for grabs.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jun 24, 2022

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The problem with moving to one of the blue states where you don't have to worry about these rulings (like here in MA) is it costs a loving arm and a leg to live in most of them.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I especially love people leaving the country, I'm literally a citizen of France and I couldn't just move.

marry me senpai

note: i also dont have money to move to france but we can try together :unsmith:

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

I AM GRANDO posted:

There are also many democrats who are anti-abortion. Bob Casey was a big part of forwarding g the now-redundant strategy of chipping away at people’s rights with increasingly narrow restrictions. Democrats in leadership are pretty fine with losing abortion because the party can weather that in some form. They don’t want to lose all the people who would dump them if they went in on really trying to protect anyone’s rights.

Yeah. It makes all the "protect abortion by giving Democrats all your money" poo poo ring really loving hollow

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Groovelord Neato posted:

The problem with moving to one of the blue states where you don't have to worry about these rulings (like here in MA) is it costs a loving arm and a leg to live in most of them.
Yup. But it’s only going to become more expensive over time and there really aren’t any other options. Prester John ain’t coming.

So uh, move while you can. You’ll only regret it as the purple states become red and the red states become hellworlds.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jun 24, 2022

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Groovelord Neato posted:

It also doesn't help the problem of the senate being equal representation by state instead of being based on where people live.

Velocity Raptor fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jun 24, 2022

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So what's people's guesses on what the GOP's messaging about literally anything the Democrats do now, after spending the past two months screaming about ignoring the message and shooting the messenger?

"Clearly this is just the Democrats playing politics, after all, they had two whole months warning that this was coming, and we would have gladly enshrined Roe v Wade into federal law if they asked"?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Randalor posted:

So what's people's guesses on what the GOP's messaging about literally anything the Democrats do now, after spending the past two months screaming about ignoring the message and shooting the messenger?

"Clearly this is just the Democrats playing politics, after all, they had two whole months warning that this was coming, and we would have gladly enshrined Roe v Wade into federal law if they asked"?

Victory laps and moving on to attacking LGBTQ even more, as well as targeting birth control

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Randalor posted:

People are fleeing to illegal 'sanctuary cities' in blue states to murder children. We need to enshrine the rights of the unborn at the federal level and we need 51 senators to do it.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Randalor posted:

At this point, the best move the GOP can make is to step into the shadows for a bit. Not to hide from what they accomplished, but not to draw attention to themselves. When the SC decision was leaked, anyone who was concerned or affected by the decision would have been paying attention to the Dems, who have continually positioned themselves as the defenders of people's right and the bulwark against the evil GOP. Except they didn't do anything to protect against this, or even attempt to do anything. And as was pointed out earlier in the thread, they recently supported an anti-abortion candidate.

The people who were watching have only seen that the Dems were lying to them, or at least didn't care. So the best thing the GOP can do is stay quiet, lest they risk people turning their anger from the ineffective self-proclaimed protectors to those actually making the bad things happen.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I AM GRANDO posted:

Democrats in leadership are pretty fine with losing abortion because the party can weather that in some form.

Is this actually true?

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

anyone that isn't for court expansion or getting rid of it entirely at this point can get hosed
How would this even work though?

Say Joe Biden announces today that he is taking the completely constitutional, legal, and not-unprecedented step of nominating three additional SCOTUS justices.

Chuck Schumer schedules confirmation hearings beginning tomorrow.

The filibuster does not apply to judicial confirmations, all Republicans and Kyrsten Sinema vote against all three, confirmations fail 49-51.

Biden gets called a dictator with no respect for the rule of law or America or its divinely-appointed judiciary, Democrats lose both houses of Congress in 2022 and the presidency in 2024 (this will happen anyway).

In 2025, President DeSantis nominates Donald Trump, Darth Vader, and that guy who sentenced Brock Turner to SCOTUS, they are immediately confirmed along party lines.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
:siren: Do not direct your frustration and anger at Roe being overturned toward other posters. This is not helpful, not interesting discussion, gums up threads, and will catch you probations for posting about posters / hostility.

No person here bears significant responsibility and going after each other is just going to result in slapfights which contribute nothing of interest to threads.

That's my ruling on the field for now to try and keep things civil within the thread, I know people are going to want to vent. Koos Group may have further comments.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Pollyanna posted:

Is this actually true?

Even if it's not, Democrats probably believe it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Velocity Raptor posted:

The people who were watching have only seen that the Dems were lying to them, or at least didn't care. So the best thing the GOP can do is stay quiet, lest they risk people turning their anger from the ineffective self-proclaimed protectors to those actually making the bad things happen.

Right, but considering this is the party that has MTG, Boebert and Cruz and all three seem to be incapable of shutting up...

I'm guessing MTG is probably going to try to literally laugh in Democrates faces.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Velocity Raptor posted:

on a state level, very much yes. federal, they have tried but not as much as they could because big tent bullshit and just GOP fuckery.

https://twitter.com/lxeagle17/status/1540359959325470720

this seems a little hopeful for the senate somewhat. it will hurt mastriano at least.

Velocity Raptor posted:

At this point, the best move the GOP can make is to step into the shadows for a bit. Not to hide from what they accomplished, but not to draw attention to themselves. When the SC decision was leaked, anyone who was concerned or affected by the decision would have been paying attention to the Dems, who have continually positioned themselves as the defenders of people's right and the bulwark against the evil GOP. Except they didn't do anything to protect against this, or even attempt to do anything. And as was pointed out earlier in the thread, they recently supported an anti-abortion candidate.

they won't move into the shadows at all though, they will yell and scream and brag and a bunch will make points about wanting to kill marrage equality or griswold or etc. they will double down because they caught the car.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

This Is the Zodiac posted:

Say Joe Biden announces today that he is taking the completely constitutional, legal, and not-unprecedented step of nominating three additional SCOTUS justices.

The filibuster does not apply to judicial confirmations, all Republicans and Kyrsten Sinema vote against all three, confirmations fail 49-51.

Biden gets called a dictator with no respect for the rule of law or America or its divinely-appointed judiciary, Democrats lose both houses of Congress in 2022 and the presidency in 2024 (this will happen anyway).

In 2025, President DeSantis nominates Donald Trump, Darth Vader, and that guy who sentenced Brock Turner to SCOTUS, they are immediately confirmed along party lines.

Congress has to pass a law first to expand the court, its been done before. The number is currently 9 in the law.

This current 50-50 congress won't do that, and Biden can't just nominate a 10th justice on his own.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

Another problem is that if all the blue voters move to the bluest states, the rest of the states get redder, turning the Senate redder and giving the conservatives more power on the national stage.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

This is the expected outcome either way so we need to try something. Democracy can't be "if enough white supremacists vote to unperson you it's legal and they can do it" and arguments that act as if our hands are completely tied when fascists do that end up just reinforcing that yeah, you can absolutely legally strip rights from people and that's how the system is supposed to work.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Main Paineframe posted:

Another problem is that if all the blue voters move to the bluest states, the rest of the states get redder, turning the Senate redder and giving the conservatives more power on the national stage.
Yes and no. One thing about equal representation in the Senate is that those states hit the point of diminishing returns sooner. A state that already has two R senators doesn't gain anything, and if the population decreases drastically enough it could even lose House seats. Blue voters should be moving to red areas of blue states, if anything.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Gumball Gumption posted:

This is the expected outcome either way so we need to try something.

Maybe you shouldn't try the thing where you just said the expected outcome is bad

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Main Paineframe posted:

This will happen anyways as the Republicans are dismantling voting rights in the red states.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

The Republicans only haven't increased the number of justices because they didn't need to. They have 2/3 majority, they can do anything they want. They will have a majority forever unless the Democrats actively do something to change that.

Yes, if the Democrats actually do something, the Republicans will fight back at least that hard. That is not a reason not to fight in the first place, because if Democrats don't, then we end up in the current state, where Republicans can do whatever they want, win minority elections, and still have control of the government most of the time and the Supreme Court forever. The Democratic strategy of sitting there with their thumbs up their asses has already failed in every possible way there is to fail.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Blue voters should be moving to red areas of blue states, if anything.

If we are moving around population like pawns on a game board then the play is to move to purple states

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Fart Amplifier posted:

Maybe you shouldn't try the thing where you just said the expected outcome is bad

My point is that we've been operating for a while as if right wing take over is inevitable yet also use it as a reason to not do things. It can't be both.