Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

I can't think of a redder flag than I put a ton of work into this bike in the last two months, and now I want to sell it instead of ride it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Russian Bear posted:

The great thing is there are very few options

DRZ400SM
KLX300SM
690/701 from ktm/husky

I think the DRZ is my sweet spot of engine size and a bright yellow one DOES look really cool :allears:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Remy Marathe posted:

I can't think of a redder flag than I put a ton of work into this bike in the last two months, and now I want to sell it instead of ride it.

This is normal SXV ownership behavior. The bike is worth much more in a running state, so you need to fix it all up and then immediately sell it while its still running

I wish I was joking

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I think the DRZ is my sweet spot of engine size and a bright yellow one DOES look really cool :allears:

Only 5 gears can be a downside depending where you’re riding.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

every time I try to shift into 6th I yell into my helmet "WHO NEEDS A SIXTH GEAR ANYWAY!!" and crank the poo poo out of the throttle

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

The 919 has a loud exhaust and no gear indicator so everybody in traffic can hear when I try to shift into 7th :smith:

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I don't have a very loud exhaust but I still think everyone can hear my 7th gear attempts. They all know and silently mock me. Luckily they'll never know of me checking I cancelled my turn signal four times. Just to be sure.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

My little 125's gearing is too much for 5th so it barely runs out of steam unless on a slight decline with no wind and me tucked. I think I'm OK with 5 gears but it seems the correct amount is n+1 where n is the amount your bike actually has. :v:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The goldwing has an overdrive light that lights up on the dash when you're in top gear, thereby saving me the shame of having random passersby think that I might not be a MotoGP rider.

Thank you Soichiro (PBUH)

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

I have a gear indicator for the first time and it’s a constant internal struggle not look down at it. It seems like the equivalent of looking at one’s feet while learning to dance. I can’t help it though

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I really only use mine to check that I got it into neutral. In general too busy too look ahead to look down.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

My little 125's gearing is too much for 5th so it barely runs out of steam unless on a slight decline with no wind and me tucked. I think I'm OK with 5 gears but it seems the correct amount is n+1 where n is the amount your bike actually has. :v:

I've got 4 :(
On top of it, it's at 1.000 ratio
The available aftermarket 5 gear transmissions put 5th at less than that.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'm convinced both gear indicators and tachos make you learn slower. They constantly drag your vision down, and they make you try to aim for some kind of target or 'right' gear/rpm instead of doing it correctly.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

I'm convinced both gear indicators and tachos make you learn slower. They constantly drag your vision down, and they make you try to aim for some kind of target or 'right' gear/rpm instead of doing it correctly.

Anecdotally, one thing a tach is good for is helping you unlearn the bad habit of shifting way too early

When you're sitting at what sounds and feels like the "right" time to shift, and then you look down and see that you've got half the fuckin dial unused, it can spur you to remember the reason Honda invented the NC700, pull your head out of your rear end, and use the rest of the machine.

And when I say "you" here I mean "me".

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I like ragging Bob in 3rd.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Phy posted:

Anecdotally, one thing a tach is good for is helping you unlearn the bad habit of shifting way too early

When you're sitting at what sounds and feels like the "right" time to shift, and then you look down and see that you've got half the fuckin dial unused, it can spur you to remember the reason Honda invented the NC700, pull your head out of your rear end, and use the rest of the machine.

And when I say "you" here I mean "me".
I agree with this, it's the reason I wish I had one on the VanVan. My old GS500e sounded like you were murdering it when ridden properly and there's no way I would've naturally habituated to riding it at such high RPMs. Is the vanvan about to explode? I have no idea.

ImplicitAssembler posted:

I really only use mine to check that I got it into neutral. In general too busy too look ahead to look down.
One piece of advice I have never forgotten, but I've got no personal experiences to back this up, was to never fully trust a neutral indicator and always ease the clutch out gradually. Still waiting for that false positive, but if it happens I'll be ready!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Happened to me multiple times, good habit to have.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Oh yeah, I always do.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Never thought about distrusting the neutral light. Good idea.
I generally dislike looking down at the instrument cluster when driving, I really hate doing it when riding. Agreeing that the rev gauge isn't really necessary. At least on my little weak bike I normally flog it at full throttle and the power tapers of noticeably before I hit the rev limiter so there's the butt dyno as well as the musical ear to rely on there. The speedo is only necessary because cops and speed cameras exist. I like having a fuel gauge and temp gauge but it's not like I need to look at them when moving. I don't think I would dislike having a HUD in the visor or something with relevant information but if this was limited to just idiot lights that only shone when needed I wouldn't be too sorry.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

I'd love a HUD in my helmet just for the 'Woooo fighter pilot moto racer' feeling.
I guess it would also be useful for navigation.

I like to have the tacho to see how much headroom i have left. But 'highest allowed speed in each gear' tick marks on the speedometer would also be useful for that.

Citroen 2cv speedo. The red marks on the bottom indicate max speed in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear. 4th gear is not indicated because in normal use you don't reach red line in top gear. But apparently they hit 7500rpm at 120km/h which is not a speed you usually reach in a 2cv, but also not extraordinary if you have a strong tail wind or are going downhill in a tunnel, foot welded to the floor to gather momentum for climbing up again with all of your 26 baguette eating horse power.

If you don't have the tick marks, the rev limiter's a good option too. Just hit it with each shift a few times and you'll get a feel for it.

It's harder when there's neither a rev limiter, nor a speedo, nor the tick marks. Sometimes the maximum allowed speeds per gear are listed in the manual, sometimes not. I drove a Citroen Axel (4 cylinder boxer) and the owner was like 'hey dude... You kinda should consider shifting right now'. Those citroen boxers are just too drat happy to rev, to get an impression of 'hmm, that's too much revs, let's shift'.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Like this?

Mb100 git u one

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Remy Marathe posted:

I agree with this, it's the reason I wish I had one on the VanVan. My old GS500e sounded like you were murdering it when ridden properly and there's no way I would've naturally habituated to riding it at such high RPMs. Is the vanvan about to explode? I have no idea.

One piece of advice I have never forgotten, but I've got no personal experiences to back this up, was to never fully trust a neutral indicator and always ease the clutch out gradually. Still waiting for that false positive, but if it happens I'll be ready!

The neutral light does not work on one of my Goldwings. A friend of mine (2 years riding experience) thought he was in neutral but was not, and when he let out the clutch it lurched enough for him to lose it and tip it over. No big deal, but if he would have gently let out the clutch he would have known. Or, if he had held the clutch in when he came to a stop and then hit the stop switch also would have been fine. Always assume the bike is in gear and the clutch switches, neutral switches, and sidestand switches are not functioning. Some people disable these features, some are disabled by a PO without them knowing it.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Gorson posted:

Always assume the bike is in gear and the clutch switches, neutral switches, and sidestand switches are not functioning.

Basically what my instructor said. Makes sense and has made it a habit for me.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Gorson posted:

The neutral light does not work on one of my Goldwings. A friend of mine (2 years riding experience) thought he was in neutral but was not, and when he let out the clutch it lurched enough for him to lose it and tip it over. No big deal, but if he would have gently let out the clutch he would have known. Or, if he had held the clutch in when he came to a stop and then hit the stop switch also would have been fine. Always assume the bike is in gear and the clutch switches, neutral switches, and sidestand switches are not functioning. Some people disable these features, some are disabled by a PO without them knowing it.

You see, KTMs having a hard time finding neutral is actually a feature that teaches you how to properly ride other bikes in the event you want to give one of your dumber friends with worse motorcycles a taste of la dolce vita. :smug:

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Another area where riding dirt bikes teaches good fundamentals: No neutral lights

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

GriszledMelkaba posted:

Another area where riding dirt bikes teaches good fundamentals: No neutral lights

My Kickstarter is my neutral light

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Slavvy posted:

Like this?

Mb100 git u one

I really dug this one I saw at a classic bike show a few years back:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What classic British (I'm assuming) bikes can do 55mph in second?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’ve been staring at that for 5 minutes and it still makes no sense

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I think it's a chart to allow you to read your RPM based on what gear you're in and the MPH. So if you're in 4th gear going 105mph then you're doing 6k on the tach.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

I'm the thick orange bar spanning all gears, and I'm fuckin' with your mind

e; vvvvvvv Ohhhh ok that clicked.

Remy Marathe fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jun 25, 2022

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Remy Marathe posted:

I'm the thick orange bar spanning all gears, and I'm fuckin' with your mind

The first gear upshift point?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Midjack posted:

The first gear upshift point?

30mph in first tallies with the other gears but it's bloody tall for something that ancient, and just look at fourth! Is it like a Vincent black shadow or something?

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
I think it correlating to rpms makes sense but god ive never heard of something like this

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
My first bike was an 85 Honda MBX80. The speedo was broken but the tach worked. In 6th gear (maybe it had only 5) the tach would line up with speed in kmh

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
I am still on the hunt for a sub 400cc Japanese beginner bike. If I want to buy new, it looks like that means a Kawasaki Ninja 400 because literally everything else is sold out in my area. Not a single honda to be found!

If I were to buy used, how old is too old? Lots of really great-looking little Japanese bikes from the 80s on craigslist, but I assume something like that could have gremlins I'm not skilled enough to sus out before buying.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'd say stick to this century and you'll be ok. 90's if it's super clean at a stretch.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Agreed. After 20 years, you can start finding rubber bits that need replacement within a few years.

Unless you have evidence that all age sensitive bits have been replaced on an 1980s/90s bike, expect it to have issues sooner or later. Especially for 1980s stuff that is likely to have sat for an extended period of time somewhere in the past 40ish years, you can expect rust in the tank if it's only recently been dragged out of storage, fixed up just enough for sale and sold on the currently high priced 2nd hand market.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Went to a test ride event where all the brands let you ride their bikes around a closed course, really great opportunity. Unfortunately rides were limited to two hours, so couldn't ride everything I wanted. By far the bike that felt the best to me, out of all the ones I rode, was the Kawasaki Versys 1000 for some reason. Didn't really like the 650 however. Also didn't get to do the Z900 unfortunately.

I think the V-Strom 1000 was the bike that once again affirmed me in not wanting a bigger bike.
I did the whole "oops too much throttle" and only saved myself with the clutch. If I hadn't covered the clutch I'd definitely have made a spectacle I think. On one hand I am happy/glad to have saved it, but I don't want to "risk it all" like that.

Also, holy poo poo, Honda DCT suuuuucks imo. The sales rep said it's just because I am not used to it or because the bikes weren't in sports mode. Idgaf, I rode them as they set them up and I hated both the NT1100 and the X-Adv (which I also hated for many other reasons lol). Both bikes would just generally bog down and vibrate to hell, maybe it's because I wasn't manually gearing down all the time (they said it's an additional option, not the way to ride it and I barely used it as I wasn't familiar with the bikes to begin with). But one unforgivable thing in my mind was during slow maneuvering the bikes multiple times would change gears rather violently while cornering, making me lose all confidence in these bikes offering a stable ride. To me that just seems inexcusable. Horrible, do not want.

On another note, Harley flat out refused any test rides until the track would be completely dry (it rained before the event and the track remained wet for the entire duration I was there), stating their bikes and tyres just weren't compatible with riding in the rain. Lol.
Thought I'd finally get to experience the height adjustment thing on the Pan America, but nope.

Honestly, I came out of the event once again happy with my choice of bike and most bikes I tried had some major flaw that makes me not want it. Also, the BMW was the only one with a grabby rear brake, most were ok to weak. The worst one was the Zero SR/S(I think?), The rear brake was doubly poo poo. For one, the lever was really hard to locate for me, I would either slip off or push down on the lever which would make it not go down because of the angle. In the rare case that I managed to actuate it, the rear brake just did absolutely nothing on that bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

SEKCobra posted:

The worst one was the Zero SR/S(I think?), The rear brake was doubly poo poo. For one, the lever was really hard to locate for me, I would either slip off or push down on the lever which would make it not go down because of the angle. In the rare case that I managed to actuate it, the rear brake just did absolutely nothing on that bike.

Can confirm the rear brake on the SR/S and SR/F is garbo. It's weak as hell and has a reverse pivot point compared to typical rear brake levers so you lose mechanical advantage too. I pretty much don't use it.