Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Rigel posted:

Congress has to pass a law first to expand the court, its been done before. The number is currently 9 in the law.

This current 50-50 congress won't do that, and Biden can't just nominate a 10th justice on his own.

He literally just did, Judge Jackson was nominated and approved. He just needs to nominate replacements for Thomas and Alito in case they have a heart attack next year. Better to nominate and get approval now than in 6 months when Republicans control the Senate and suddenly lose the ability to see, hear and speak while there's a Democratic president trying to fill a court seat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Lemming posted:

Yes, if the Democrats actually do something, the Republicans will fight back at least that hard. That is not a reason not to fight in the first place, because if Democrats don't, then we end up in the current state, where Republicans can do whatever they want, win minority elections, and still have control of the government most of the time and the Supreme Court forever. The Democratic strategy of sitting there with their thumbs up their asses has already failed in every possible way there is to fail.
They can't do anything. Short of literal Stalinist purges, this is the way it is. The red team made the rules, they set up the game board, and then they won.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Lemming posted:

Yeah. It makes all the "protect abortion by giving Democrats all your money" poo poo ring really loving hollow

Not to mention Clyburn & Pelosi helping anti-choice Cuellar eke out an electoral victory a few weeks ago by sending out fundraising emails and campaigning for him in person.

Dems' support of bodily autonomy is a mile wide & an inch deep (an inch of fundraising emails if you print them out).

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Randalor posted:

So what's people's guesses on what the GOP's messaging about literally anything the Democrats do now, after spending the past two months screaming about ignoring the message and shooting the messenger?

"Clearly this is just the Democrats playing politics, after all, they had two whole months warning that this was coming, and we would have gladly enshrined Roe v Wade into federal law if they asked"?

"We're the party that keeps its promises to voters, instead of bragging about $.14 savings for independence day barbecues."

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

Dapper_Swindler posted:

https://twitter.com/lxeagle17/status/1540359959325470720

this seems a little hopeful for the senate somewhat. it will hurt mastriano at least.

While this can seem like a good sign that pro-choice is a strong opinion by voters, it unfortunately doesn’t always signal that they’ll vote for anyone other than a Republican that would still be against abortion.

Someone can easily be pro-choice, but voting Republican is still their number 1 priority. Or maybe it’s lower taxes, or against LGBT+ rights.

Hopefully, there’s going to be a huge push to get people registered and ready for vote in the midterms, and energizing people for the election in 2024. 2020 showed that republicans can be out-voted in number, but they can equally be motivated to vote as much as democrats can. They just won a major victory in striking down Roe v Wade, now they see that things can go in their favor despite not having a clear majority - imagine if they energized enough to out-vote the democrats.

I’m thinking we’re going to see record numbers again for voting in the midterms, and even more so in 2024.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Rigel posted:

If we are moving around population like pawns on a game board then the play is to move to purple states

Mathematically actually the game move is to go to red states, some of them like Montana would take very little population movement to completely flip.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Vahakyla posted:

Mathematically actually the game move is to go to red states, some of them like Montana would take very little population movement to completely flip.
How many libertarians did New Hampshire elect to national office when they tried this?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

uPen posted:

He literally just did, Judge Jackson was nominated and approved. He just needs to nominate replacements for Thomas and Alito in case they have a heart attack next year. Better to nominate and get approval now than in 6 months when Republicans control the Senate and suddenly lose the ability to see, hear and speak while there's a Democratic president trying to fill a court seat.

He can't do that unless someone announces their retirement.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

This Is the Zodiac posted:

They can't do anything. Short of literal Stalinist purges, this is the way it is. The red team made the rules, they set up the game board, and then they won.

They can do things. They can't stack the Supreme Court right now, but the point is that the threat of a Republican doing something is not a good reason to do nothing.

It's also transparently obvious that the Democrats don't care about doing anything. The Democratic establishment recently managed to drag the anti-choice Cuellar across the finish line in a primary against a progressive candidate, and a party that does that is very obviously not interested in doing anything to protect abortion rights. We're just arguing about stupid bullshit in the face of that reality, but I'm just pointing out the argument "if Democrats do x, then Republicans will have the way cleared to do x as well!!" is and always has been a bad argument

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Ornery and Hornery posted:

My concern is that a lot of the blue states are also plentiful with reds, and many of the blues in those states aren't particularly useful anyway.

Like what blue state do you move to, that has the highest likelihood of preserving those rights?

Sweden?

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Truly horrible news. Hopefully this is the kick in the butt voters and the Democrat Party need for the upcoming midterms. We need to get our poo poo together.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Calibanibal posted:

Truly horrible news. Hopefully this is the kick in the butt voters and the Democrat Party need for the upcoming midterms. We need to get our poo poo together.

We do, but it's not going to lead to everyone abandoning the US and state constitutions and calling a new continental congress, so instead we're going full Gilead.

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Bitterly Clinging to my AK47 and Das Kapital

Rigel posted:

He can do that if they are incapacitated.

The Supreme Court should be treated for what it is, a neoconfederate institution repudiating the victory of the union over the slaveholder's rebellion.

Biden needs to make clear his intent to pardon anyone that assists in dislodging the neoconfederate element currently occupying the Supreme Court bench.

And then nominate their replacements.

Democrats in congress should be working on hoe to best assist the coming protest with regards to occupying and shutting down the court until the confederate menace has been delt with.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

President Kucinich fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jun 24, 2022

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Abortion is banned in Sweden after 18 weeks. Most European countries actually have fairly strict restrictions on abortion.

Until today, the U.S. was far more permissible on abortion than other countries. Prior to today, the U.S. was one of only 4 countries that allowed abortion for no specific reason up to the third trimester.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Ringo Star Get posted:

While this can seem like a good sign that pro-choice is a strong opinion by voters, it unfortunately doesn’t always signal that they’ll vote for anyone other than a Republican that would still be against abortion.

Someone can easily be pro-choice, but voting Republican is still their number 1 priority. Or maybe it’s lower taxes, or against LGBT+ rights.

Hopefully, there’s going to be a huge push to get people registered and ready for vote in the midterms, and energizing people for the election in 2024. 2020 showed that republicans can be out-voted in number, but they can equally be motivated to vote as much as democrats can. They just won a major victory in striking down Roe v Wade, now they see that things can go in their favor despite not having a clear majority - imagine if they energized enough to out-vote the democrats.

I’m thinking we’re going to see record numbers again for voting in the midterms, and even more so in 2024.

I don’t see this. People’s appetite to vote for Democrats has gone down, not up, as a result of this.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

If this is true then hopefully the Democrats are preparing for violence because the answer can't be that white supremacists just get to legally vote others into not having rights.

Iamgoofball
Jul 1, 2015

Ornery and Hornery posted:

My concern is that a lot of the blue states are also plentiful with reds, and many of the blues in those states aren't particularly useful anyway.

Like what blue state do you move to, that has the highest likelihood of preserving those rights?

It's extremely unlikely that Oregon or Washington will ever swing red or start doing red policies. There simply are more Democrats than Republicans here, despite what an election map might tell you, and it's incredibly unlikely that anyone's going to shake up the status quo here.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Gumball Gumption posted:

If this is true then hopefully the Democrats are preparing for violence because the answer can't be that white supremacists just get to legally vote others into not having rights.
Don't be ridiculous. Only wealthy cis male white supremacists get to legally vote others into not having rights.

ellasmith
Sep 29, 2021

by Azathoth
This is potentially great news for the democrats - millions of fundraising dollars will surely be going to their house and senate candidates this week, perhaps even to a future challenger to Moscow Mitch himself. I bet he’s already wishing he never stole those three Supreme Court seats.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Rigel posted:

Is that written down somewhere? What constitutes announcing retirement? Does the inescapable advancement of time not necessitate appointing new justices?

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Hey, I've got Navigate...
"Just move to a blue state" is the "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" of liberals in safer spaces. It's used to push the consequences and accountability of systemic failures back onto individuals.

That's also why something as innocent as "take care of yourselves" can come across as tone deaf in a moment like this. When a train is about to roll over someone who's fallen on the tracks, telling them "take care of yourself" is insufficient. They would have done that if they could. What that person needs now is the rest of us to launch into action to help them.

And for the folks in safer spaces, "just move to a blue state" only helps you until about January 2025 when the federal abortion ban comes roaring in. Until then I'd wager that if you have the privilege to uproot your life and jump across the country, traveling for an abortion (while still unacceptably expensive and challenging) would probably be less disruptive than permanently moving for it.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Calibanibal posted:

For what? To impotently rage against the next SCOTUS ruling and watch Democrats do nothing about that one too?

The game is rigged, we've already lost. Start working locally. Look out for you and yours, if possible build networks to weather the poo poo that's coming. If you're not targeted by this one, help the people that are so they can be there for your turn in the barrel. That's a much better use of your time and ability than trying to win a rigged game. We've got decades of this to go and nothing is going to change that short of [redacted], so start putting your efforts where it can do something.

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005

ellasmith posted:

This is potentially great news for the democrats - millions of fundraising dollars will surely be going to their house and senate candidates this week, perhaps even to a future challenger to Moscow Mitch himself. I bet he’s already wishing he never stole those three Supreme Court seats.

Democrats who aren't in red states or don't need access to abortions now or in the near future, nor are close to anyone in the same category, perhaps. Believe what you will about how this might affect upcoming elections, but try to phrase things less ghoulishly, maybe?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It is loving exhausting. Stop blaming everyone bit the actual conservatives. Nobody here is anything but on the same side as you and trying to fingerpoint and blame instead of figuring out how to work together is exactly what people want.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

It is loving exhausting. Stop blaming everyone bit the actual conservatives. Nobody here is anything but on the same side as you and trying to fingerpoint and blame instead of figuring out how to work together is exactly what people want.

I would love to work together with the Democrats, the problem is specifically that the Democratic establishment is not interested in working with the people who want to protect abortion rights. You can't blame the activists for the Democratic party being intransigent

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values

Gumball Gumption posted:

They have months worth of fund-raising emails already in their drafts folder if this helps

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

Democrats are conservatives*, I hope this explains why some people are seeing it worthy to blame Democrats.

*Being "less conservative" than the republicans doesn't make them not conservative, it just makes them less conservative. Like how the 80F temperatures I had yesterday are "less hot" than the 95F temperatures I'm looking at for this weekend are still hot even though they're "less hot" than the 95F.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

You're arguing about whether the Democrats want to fight this while looking past the fact that they can't because the game is rigged.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

You're arguing about whether the Democrats want to fight this while looking past the fact that they can't because the game is rigged.

The game isn't rigged. Republicans just read the rules and put together a strategy to win while Democrats went 'BIGGER NUMBER EQUALS GOOD'.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Obama had a supermajority and pre-empted it by saying he didn't actually care

Yes, the game is rigged, and the Democrats don't care about fixing it, only keeping the establishment in power because they enjoy being in those positions, not so they can actually do anything

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Lemming posted:

I would love to work together with the Democrats, the problem is specifically that the Democratic establishment is not interested in working with the people who want to protect abortion rights. You can't blame the activists for the Democratic party being intransigent

I honestly think the only way progressives have a legitimate shot at actually making change is to splinter off from the Democrats and either run as independents or form a new party, because the Democratic party has shown time and time again that if they have to choose between a progressive or someone who's just running as a Democrat because they're in a blue state, they'll throw everything they have behind the Republican.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
The game is rigged insomuch that the Republicans will poo poo all over the rules, play dirty, do everything in their power to disregard all conventions of the game and the Democrats refuse to do anything about it. Democrats are concerned about upholding the rules of a chess game while the republicans have flipped the board over and are engaging in a street fight.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Lib and let die posted:

Democrats are conservatives*, I hope this explains why some people are seeing it worthy to blame Democrats.
Yes, the parties are exactly the same, which must be why all Democratic justices are pro-abortion and all Republican justices are anti-abortion, and all states keeping abortion rights are Blue and all states removing abortion rights are Red, and....

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

If anyone was wondering, Biden’s speech is over and nothing of importance was stated. No questions either, speech and done.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Crows Turn Off posted:

Yes, the parties are exactly the same, which must be why all Democratic justices are pro-abortion and all Republican justices are anti-abortion, and all states keeping abortion rights are Blue and all states removing abortion rights are Red, and....

One specific reason why the court is 6-3 instead of 5-4 is because Ginsburg was more interested in personally being a Supreme Court Justice forever instead of being replaced by someone younger who would be just as interested in ruling to protect abortion. This pretty perfectly comports with the argument that Democrats are more interested in their own personal power than doing anything to actually protect abortion

Sure, if they think there will be zero repercussions they'll do whatever, but if they have a whiff of pushback they have always pulled back to "well Roe v Wade is good enough, wouldn't want to be divisive would we!!!" which is not pro-abortion so much as it is pro-please-just-let-me-be-in-charge-I-promise-I-won't-rock-the-boat-if-you-just-ignore-me

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Crows Turn Off posted:

Yes, the parties are exactly the same,--snip--

What I actually said:

Lib and let die posted:

it [...] makes them less conservative.

This is a blatant, and gross misrepresentation of my statement bordering on the deployment of a strawman for you to swing at and declare victory over. I have clearly defined that one party is more conservative than the other, invalidating your claim that I am attempting to establish a 1:1 comparison of the parties.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Madkal posted:

The game is rigged insomuch that the Republicans will poo poo all over the rules, play dirty, do everything in their power to disregard all conventions of the game and the Democrats refuse to do anything about it. Democrats are concerned about upholding the rules of a chess game while the republicans have flipped the board over and are engaging in a street fight.

The Democrats are treating house rules like they are the end all, be all, while the Republicans went 'so....you're telling me this isn't actually a rule.'

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Lemming posted:

u dont have to work with democrats u can work against conservatives, hth

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Randalor posted:

I honestly think the only way progressives have a legitimate shot at actually making change is to splinter off from the Democrats and either run as independents or form a new party, because the Democratic party has shown time and time again that if they have to choose between a progressive or someone who's just running as a Democrat because they're in a blue state, they'll throw everything they have behind the Republican.

The only way for progressives to make positive change in this country is outside the electoral system. Mass strikes, walk offs and protests to destroy the economy and the threat of violence to remind those in power that they aren't necessarily always going to be in charge.

The powerful aren't going to take your side just because you gave them more power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Herstory Begins Now posted:

u dont have to work with democrats u can work against conservatives, hth

No poo poo, it would just be a lot more effective to be able to use the Democratic establishment machinery to help protect abortion instead of needing to fight them, too. I'm sure Cisneros, for example, would have loved to be able to focus on the general election against the Republican instead of getting barely beaten by her Democratic party backed anti-choice opponent in the primary