Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

otter posted:

You misspelled Earthbound.
Despite wanting to play it back in the day I have never taken the time to do so until now. I am about 2 months into playing it, but that is about 2-3 hours per night roughly 3 nights per week on average. I'm grinding all my characters to level 99 before what I assume is the final battle. ChronoTrigger is next but I will probably be playing that on my rg552.

Earthbound was really hurt by coming out so close to other great RPGs. It came out just months after FFVI, and that was a $70 game. I never even heard of Earthbound until many, many years later and when I tried to play it the game just didn't click with me. Same with Chrono Trigger really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I also think the US ad campaign didn't really help. Instead of "hey look at this quirky version of Americana" they decided to market the game with a bunch of fart noises and "THIS GAME STINKS". And like that probably won the hearts of some of the kids that were their target audience, but they're trying to get to the wallets of the parents, and that's not really the best way to sell a parent on your game.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

otter posted:

If the music in CT is that good I will probably throw an ear bud in.

It’s the best video game music of the SNES and like the next 2-3 console generations.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Rolo posted:

It’s the best video game music of the SNES and like the next 2-3 console generations.

Yo lets not oversell it, CT has amazing music, but the next 2 or 3 console gens?

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Madmarker posted:

Yo lets not oversell it, CT has amazing music, but the next 2 or 3 console gens?

The only real contenders for the crown are Chrono Cross and maybe FF9

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
Monty on the run had a similar thing going on

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

lol Aya Neo pre-orders went up with a 10% fee for cancellation and $100 shipping.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
A cancellation fee? Whaaaa? Sounds like they're worried about people cancelling their order when a competitor comes out with something better before it even ships?

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Explosionface posted:

The only real contenders for the crown are Chrono Cross and maybe FF9

What?! Clearly someone hasn't played SotN

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Alucard posted:

Good point. Add it to the list.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Alucard posted:

Oh yeah good point. I think the thing that pushes CT’s music so far ahead is how it compliments the story. Frog’s theme playing while he gets some character development is just so good. Same with the game’s main theme anytime the party decides to do something cool.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
i think CT has the most iconic VGM instrumentation out there, along with the Halo choir. the brass! Gato's theme!

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Valve Steam Deck posted:

A cancellation fee? Whaaaa? Sounds like they're worried about people cancelling their order when a competitor comes out with something better before it even ships?

Anbernic gets poo poo for high-cost low-power devices, but at least they're able to get them made and delivered on time at the promised price with the promised features (excepting wifi in the RG351P) without any of the bullshit you have to put up with from Valve, AYA, Ayn, and until pretty recently Retroid. There's something to be said for a company that understands what they're capable of producing for wide availability.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Valve Steam Deck posted:

Probably more they want to at least get money when people realise they're preordering the 5560U version that has a Radeon iGPU and not the full beans 6600U model with RDNA2 that's supposed to be also coming soon.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

$100 shipping cost is insane unless you are (like my dad did back in the day) sending a huge rear end box of fireworks from Tennessee to the west coast.
it can't possibly be bigger than a priority mail medium box

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

MarcusSA posted:

Taki's video is pretty wild.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poOk-zH2O6k

Its either a 90hz screen or some mythical 124hz screen lol

The build quality over all seems pretty fantastic as well

Man I did not expect this device to turn out so well at all. Glad Taki gave it a serious look.

Side note, is 8bitdo really pronounced 8 bit doo? I always thought it was do like 道, i.e. like "Way of the 8 bit" or something.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Aya are already walking back on the shipping thing. Not the cancellation fee though.
https://twitter.com/RetroGameCorps/status/1540404399029096448

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I kinda wish Retroid would have more shell shape options. The round gameboxes look pretty snazzy.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

coconono posted:

I kinda wish Retroid would have more shell shape options. The round gameboxes look pretty snazzy.

The same shell shapes are what kept the cost low I think, probably pretty easy to design a board and get everything to fit in it

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Yeah reusing the parts from the RP2 has gotta be what kept the RP2+ so cheap, there's no way the RP3 with a new design will be as cheap when it comes out.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

otter posted:

$100 shipping cost is insane unless you are (like my dad did back in the day) sending a huge rear end box of fireworks from Tennessee to the west coast.
it can't possibly be bigger than a priority mail medium box

Having ordered a bunch of stuff from Ali and knowing others that do as well, I can completely see $100 shipping to cover it arriving in a timely manner via DHL or FedEx or something. People complaining about long ship times for the RP2+ and similar probably steered them this way.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Nickoten posted:

Side note, is 8bitdo really pronounced 8 bit doo?

Absolutely loving not

I think they started telling their partners to pronounce it differently after the cease and desist from Nintendo, but it was always intended to be "doh"

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Officially, it's "doo" but you look at the evidence and it's plain to see that they're revising their history to dodge a lawsuit. They got their start with cloning S/NES controllers, their branding and logo looking like Nintendo's.Their use of "do" in their name is reminiscent of electronics brands putting "i" in front of the names of of their iPod accessories back in the early 2000s.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Detective No. 27 posted:

Officially, it's "doo" but you look at the evidence and it's plain to see that they're revising their history to dodge a lawsuit. They got their start with cloning S/NES controllers, their branding and logo looking like Nintendo's.Their use of "do" in their name is reminiscent of electronics brands putting "i" in front of the names of of their iPod accessories back in the early 2000s.

It took me until this post to realise the “doh” suffix was a reference to Ninten-doh. I’ve had one for years, always pronounced it “doh” but it meant nothing to me

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

flavor.flv posted:

Absolutely loving not

I think they started telling their partners to pronounce it differently after the cease and desist from Nintendo, but it was always intended to be "doh"

Now 8bitdo what Nintendon't

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
the nintendo reference missed me too, i figured it was like "do re mi"

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

i always took it as do like the 8-bit way/path of learning.
like karate-do.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
obviously an arkanoid reference

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Manky posted:

Now 8bitdo what Nintendon't

Their dpads are actually usable unlike the ones Nintendo makes so hey they're already there

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Update: finished earthbound at 2am left coast time.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Thoughts?

If you kinda liked it, the fan translation of Mother 3 is one of my favorite RPGs of all time.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Rolo posted:

Thoughts?

If you kinda liked it, the fan translation of Mother 3 is one of my favorite RPGs of all time.

I have the translation of mother 3 on my 552 for whenever I get around to it.
I thought it was pretty good. If I didn’t read the strategy guide for the final battle I probably would have thrown the controller at some point. I would have liked it if there was more to the end, but it was worth the ~60 hours or so I put into it.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
Earthbound is a treat in every department but the gameplay, in my opinion--it just feels like there's so little meat on the bone for actual battles, and that becomes especially apparent towards the last part of the game (7th/8th sanctuaries in the Lost Underworld and Magicant) which all just felt like endless mosh pits of enemies to me. The parts of the game I really enjoyed (writing, music, setting, graphics, etc) never skipped a beat, though.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Yeah, this song in particular is so cool. One of the reasons I like synth music as an adult.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Pd8gwYJA6Y4

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

I probably could have shortened the game considerably if I wasn’t so conservative with my money. I finished the game with like $1.29M in the bank. Also I was grinding all my characters to level 99 before heading to the cave of the past.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

If anyone wants to buy an Aya Neo let me know. Its obviously going to be at a pretty discounted price so I just want it to go to someone who is going to use it because since I've gotten my steam deck its been sitting in the closet.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

If anyone wants to buy an Aya Neo let me know. Its obviously going to be at a pretty discounted price so I just want it to go to someone who is going to use it because since I've gotten my steam deck its been sitting in the closet.

which Aya Neo is it? The 2021?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Photex posted:

which Aya Neo is it? The 2021?

Yeah the first one they did

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Big Anbernic sale: https://anbernic.com/collections/season-clearance-sale

The RG503 for $125, which IMO is a pretty great deal now that good CFWs exist and its capabilities are more of a known quantity. Other devices between 5% and 32% off, including some I've never even heard of. Check out this goofy lookin thing: https://anbernic.com/collections/se...t-07-retro-game

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jun 27, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Big popstation energy on that lad