Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I definitely remember seeing tails constantly jumping off screen some time recently...maybe when cybershell played the sonic 2 decomp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

The thing with Tails constantly jumping off screen in Sonic 2 happened to me too, and I've seen it mentioned on other sites as well. Seems like a new bug in Origins.

A streamer also managed to glitch it so that Tails' copter noise played constantly, even all the way through the ending credits.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

I saw that a workaround for that is to press Up+Jump to make Tails fly, which will trigger him to reset and fly back to you instead of jumping forever. Haven’t tested it myself yet.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Knuckles has a shorter jump than Sonic & Tails, so they’d have to go over the CD levels pretty closely to make sure he’d be able to get through the levels without trouble. Sonic 1 zones are significantly smaller and less complex, so that’s likely why he was able to get in there, and Sonic 2 had the work already done thanks to the original Lock-On with that game.

MikeJF posted:

Once you get all the time stones all futures become good automatically. Doing either that or destroying all the robot teleporters gets you the good ending cinematic where the little planet is freed.
Getting all the Time Stones also means that going to the future is both worth it (Good Futures have little to no badniks) and feasible to do (the future is automatically good in every stage after getting all the stones).

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Marble Fartin’ Zone.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Been playing some more of Sonic 2… Forgot how much I love it. But I’m getting that Tails-constantly-jumping-offscreen glitch in almost every level now. I can get him to stop by making him fly as suggested earlier in this thread but it’s just a matter of time before he slips offscreen and does it again. Why is this game like this

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Evil Eagle posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgcprnVD_l4

this wasn't in? maybe this one is from breaking all the robot generators which is the only way I ever play sonic cd

No. it's in there.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

The Spring Yard thing can happen in other versions. It's not a softlock if you can time over.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Not related to the games directly, but I just saw the two films and....they're....surprisingly pretty good? I mean, not fine art or anything, but an enjoyable fun afternoon with my kid, and legitimately pretty funny. Was honestly not expecting that.

Shockingly decent has indeed been a pretty common reaction to them. Like, I honestly liked them in some ways better than Detective Pikachu.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Yeah, I can't really justify buying this. All but the tiniest of inclusions seem to be half baked at best.

This should have been, in effect, the Criterion Collection BR version of STH - S3&K and it's not even close.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Jun 24, 2022

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
The replacement S3 tracks really blow. I even played the S&K collection on PC back in the day & the tracks were more tolerable then.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Palmtree Panic posted:

The replacement S3 tracks really blow. I even played the S&K collection on PC back in the day & the tracks were more tolerable then.

The super theme is one of the worst things I've ever heard in a sonic game. It's awful.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Super theme sounds very dull despite being energetic. I’ll buy origins when it hits $20 just for a version of CD I can play in Switch. I’ll stick to JAM or the Wii VC versions when I wanna play 3 again

Pastamania
Mar 5, 2012

You cannot know.
The things I've seen.
The things I've done.
The things he made me do.

This has been picked up by a lot of gaming press, and now if you search for Sonic Origins it's all dominated by this story. Lead developer says product is poo poo is not in any way what Sega wants out there right now. I've never seen a game dev so willingly try to burn their own product to the ground before. Sega's marketing team are about to have a night in a bar where they plan to loving assassinate the guy.

This is why most companies don't employ fans. They are by definition not professionals, and do utterly stupid poo poo like this. There's no way Stealth is ever working for Sega again, and no other publisher is going to touch someone who got into all the big gaming press outlets making GBS threads all over the product in the key release window. What a way to tank a career. Guess this means Mania 2 really ain't ever happening.

And, like, the ports are fine? There's a couple minor bugs, sure, and it running in 720p docked on switch ain't great, but that's poo poo most people won't care about and will probably get patched soon enough. RIP Stealth, killed his own career because Tails got snagged on a rock a bit more than he should have.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

You are being as hyperbolic as you claim Stealth is about the condition of the project lol

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
Stealth publicly complained about Sega using Denuvo when Mania released.

Good for Stealth for speaking out & defending his team.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Yeah, I don’t know why I didn’t consider Sega getting in the way of this more than I did. I’m still really liking Sonic Origins but there definitely is room to polish it into what it should have been in the first place.

Senator Chuckles
Apr 28, 2013

Pastamania posted:

This has been picked up by a lot of gaming press, and now if you search for Sonic Origins it's all dominated by this story. Lead developer says product is poo poo is not in any way what Sega wants out there right now. I've never seen a game dev so willingly try to burn their own product to the ground before. Sega's marketing team are about to have a night in a bar where they plan to loving assassinate the guy.

This is why most companies don't employ fans. They are by definition not professionals, and do utterly stupid poo poo like this. There's no way Stealth is ever working for Sega again, and no other publisher is going to touch someone who got into all the big gaming press outlets making GBS threads all over the product in the key release window. What a way to tank a career. Guess this means Mania 2 really ain't ever happening.

And, like, the ports are fine? There's a couple minor bugs, sure, and it running in 720p docked on switch ain't great, but that's poo poo most people won't care about and will probably get patched soon enough. RIP Stealth, killed his own career because Tails got snagged on a rock a bit more than he should have.

Good god you loving dweeb. A small developer complains about the lack of communication and lovely crunch culture imposed by a major corporation and the first thing that comes to your mind is to scold the complainer? He sounds way more miffed about the treatment his studio received than the quality of actual final product and he's totally in the right to take it public.

On the other hand you're right that this is almost certainly going to prevent any further collaboration with Sega and pretty much throws any chance of Mania 2 out the window. Which means I don't have to pay attention to the franchise anymore cause the new stuff doesn't interest me at all! Good luck out there modern Sonic fans, I hope someday you get the fun Sonic game you've been waiting for. After ten thousand years I'm free....

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Senator Chuckles posted:

Good god you loving dweeb. A small developer complains about the lack of communication and lovely crunch culture imposed by a major corporation and the first thing that comes to your mind is to scold the complainer? He sounds way more miffed about the treatment his studio received than the quality of actual final product and he's totally in the right to take it public.

On the other hand you're right that this is almost certainly going to prevent any further collaboration with Sega and pretty much throws any chance of Mania 2 out the window. Which means I don't have to pay attention to the franchise anymore cause the new stuff doesn't interest me at all! Good luck out there modern Sonic fans, I hope someday you get the fun Sonic game you've been waiting for. After ten thousand years I'm free....

bye

Senator Chuckles
Apr 28, 2013
Sry that was really bitchy. I legit am glad modern Sonic fans get fun new games and the movies even if I'm not interested in them and I hope Frontiers scratches that itch.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Really though, anything that comes directly out of Sega should probably be considered a wash at this point.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

ConanThe3rd posted:

Really though, anything that comes directly out of Sega should probably be considered a wash at this point.

Look, Frontiers might look like a Steam Direct Unity project produced by a team of creatively and technically incompetent clowns but after seeing how badly Sonic Team managed to bungle the ports of some 30 year old ROMs I don't see how you could.... uh I forget where I was going with this

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Anything Sonic related that has any more than a fleeting glance from Sega dissolves into a pile of sand and rust at this point.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

From my point of view, Origins seems fine. I've mostly been playing the missions and a bit of new Blue Sphere, but they're good and fun and what I've seen of the levels suggests they play fine. I'm sure the Tails AI will annoy me in 2, but 2 was already my least favourite of the classics. The S3 music is weirdly muffled though. That could be caused by the mod I installed, but I've seen other people complaining about the same thing.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I did notice the Sonic 3 audio seemed oddly low volume and muffled sounding.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

ConanThe3rd posted:

I'm still holding out hope for Yakuza. As soon as that series goes into the toilet, that's the point where I'm giving up hope from anything from Sega.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

The issues with Origins make me unreasonably upset and worried we won’t get a patch, but I still keep going back and having fun with it for hours. Being a Sonic fan is complicated

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
sonic is complicated

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Trashing a product on release week, that’s a one way ticket to never working with Sega again. But I do admire him willing to take the hit just to tell it like it is. They clearly wanted this to be the definitive presentation of the games and are upset at how it was handled and released. Was it a good idea to publicly air that out like a day into it being on the market? Probably not. Do I admire it? Definitely.

What sucks is that they’ll likely handle any patches internally now instead of accepting help from Stealth and his team.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

We should be on Mania 3 by now so I'm glad this dev is making GBS threads on Sega gently caress em.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
Knowing Sega's history with office politics, I was already convinced that Mania 2 would never happen. Sega probably loving hates the Mania team for making the only good Sonic game in 20 years. They probably had no choice but to employ them for their cash grab rerelease because they have engine expertise but tried their hardest to involve them as little as possible. I don't see why else the Mania team wouldn't just have full reign over the project.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Hikaki posted:

Knowing Sega's history with office politics, I was already convinced that Mania 2 would never happen. Sega probably loving hates the Mania team for making the only good Sonic game in 20 years. They probably had no choice but to employ them for their cash grab rerelease because they have engine expertise but tried their hardest to involve them as little as possible. I don't see why else the Mania team wouldn't just have full reign over the project.

Yeah I’m sure Sega is real loving mad at the team they hired to make a game that them a lot of money. You know, the same game that the head of Sonic Team came up with and was more hands on with than Sonic Forces.
Idiot

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
Very happy for you that you live in a world where internal politics never gets in the way of making the most money or making the best product, and also where Sega never sabotaged their flagship IP. I wish to live in this world.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Yeah I’m sure Sega is real loving mad at the team they hired to make a game that them a lot of money. You know, the same game that the head of Sonic Team came up with and was more hands on with than Sonic Forces.
Idiot

It's been decades and I don't know if the people responsible still work at Sega, but wasn't there a whole thing with SOJ sabotaging SOA because they were mad the US-developed Sonic 2 sold better than than JP-developed Sonic CD? I'm probably loving up the details but Sega has a long history of dumb self-sabotage over stupid poo poo

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Also, thanks to this discussion i realized Sonic Adventure 2 is over 20 years old

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Has anyone done this yet?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

What Sonic really needs is for an eccentric and passionate billionaire to buy up the franchise and spin Sonic Team into its own studio with some measure of sanity applied to its structure and use of talent, and also that billionaire should be me, and me and Izuka will go out drinking together.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Hikaki posted:

Very happy for you that you live in a world where internal politics never gets in the way of making the most money or making the best product, and also where Sega never sabotaged their flagship IP. I wish to live in this world.

Of course internal politics get in the way of stuff. Mania was not one of those times. Mania was an Iizuka lead project that he even assisted with level design on, Sega greenlit Mania Plus, they rehired Stealth to do S3&K for Origins, and Iizuka had even recently said he’d like to work with them again. Mania was not an ascended fan game that Sega got jealous of, it was a Sega project actively worked on by professional game developers including the head of Sonic Team himself.

Procrastine posted:

It's been decades and I don't know if the people responsible still work at Sega, but wasn't there a whole thing with SOJ sabotaging SOA because they were mad the US-developed Sonic 2 sold better than than JP-developed Sonic CD? I'm probably loving up the details but Sega has a long history of dumb self-sabotage over stupid poo poo

SOA was practically a separate company from SOJ until the late 90s, and there was a lot of internal fighting and rivalry between them. SOA poached Yuji Naka after SOJ wouldn’t pay him what he asked for to make Sonic 2, so he went over to Sega Technical Institute (basically SOA’s development division) to do it. Other devs from SOJ joined the team and worked together with American STI devs on the game, but even then there was a lot of friction between the two. Most of the Japanese team stayed for Sonic 3 and together with some more SOJ members that came over worked on that game while STI made Spinball. So even out of the American-made games there was a divide between the Japanese and Americans. I don’t think Sonic 2 selling more than Sonic CD really factored into it, but it wouldn’t be surprising if it did.

Naka and most of the devs went back to SOJ after that whole Yasuhara (lead designer on the classic games minus CD) stayed and eventually worked on Sonic X-Treme, though Naka said he had become useless and he left for Naughty Dog after doing the levels for Sonic R. Sonic X-Treme was a huge case of SOJ sabotaging SOA, especially Naka himself who thought the game sucked and threatened to quit Sega if they used his NiGHTS engine.

By the time the Dreamcast came out, STI was gone and SOA was much closer to SOJ. At this point all the old SOA people are gone and it doesn’t have any autonomy from SOJ, especially after Sonic Boom failed and Iizuka and a couple others moved there to form a “Sonic Pillar” that oversees the franchise from the US.

Hitlersaurus Christ fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jun 24, 2022

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm not gonna blame Japan. I'm not gonna America. Hell, I'm not even gonna blame Sonic Team. At the end of the day, I don't know who to point the finger at beyond a basic level.

So just blame Sega. It's the simplest way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Always blame the corpo you can’t go wrong