Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
yeah that's the problem with shitposting with friends. They always hold it against you if that can't tell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

thebardyspoon posted:

Black Noir just dipping and how genuinely upset Homelander was about it was pretty funny.

Black Noir has been the one guy up to this point who Homelander could always rely on. I'm not sure how canon The Boys: Diabolical is but in that we can see that Black Noir was something of a mentor to Homelander when he was starting out as a hero. He's always known that no matter how hosed things get this one guy has his back. And losing that when he needed it most has to be a blow to him.

FreeRangeHexagon fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jun 24, 2022

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thank you for expressing in one post all the different feelings I had wrt post you're quoting.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Not you, Black Noir. You're doing great.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I did feel for Homelander a tiny bit with Black Noir, there's one guy he actually has something approaching a human relationship with and he bails on him in his moment of need

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I’m probably not the first person to post this, but it’s worth saying again: there are many many people in the world of the boys who use the username Sir cums a lot, including one in Annie’s comment section.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Golden Bee posted:

I’m probably not the first person to post this, but it’s worth saying again: there are many many people in the world of the boys who use the username Sir cums a lot, including one in Annie’s comment section.

Do you think that's the name of the supe that covered MM when he opened the door?

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Golden Bee posted:

Don't dox me.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Annie being like, "we can't risk innocents" then doing her livestream outing Vought and Homelander is just dumb. It makes no sense. Also like many have said the Frenchie/Kimiko drama is just too far removed from the main plot and gets less interesting with every scene.

Still a good episode of a very good show though.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I think the real question is: is Soldier Boy racist?

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I don't understand why he's called Soldier Boy and not Soldier Man?

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
“Lap it up you little brown bear” is such a hosed up line lol

Also “cum on my hump trunk” just like from the comic lol

Brazilianpeanutwar fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jun 24, 2022

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

I will say in regards to this that I think Soldier Boy's reaction to MM - "You killed my family" "Which one? :shrug:" or in other words that he's killed more families as collateral damage than he can count (or be bothered to) - demonstrates that he's only better than Homelander insofar is that Homelander is just such an awful and utterly narcissistic monster who thinks he is the only real person (or at least person worth caring about) in the world.

It isn't, Again, in the hotel room he seems horrified about what happened in New York when he just blasted a random block. 'I only kill bad people'. It's very clear what they're building here, as far as he's knows MM was the son of people running a child trafficking ring. He doesn't even advance or threaten MM, similarly to him not actually attacking the TNT twins until he blacks out again because of the Russian song. He was going to spare them and was just curious about why MM was out to get him.

Solider Boy is an obnoxious spoiled celebrity who was privileged enough to be shielded from the very idea his actions could have wider implications then those he intended. It goes back to why he could give the thumbs up to Mallory for doing a great job, while being spellbound and furious she found his pick up lines pathetic and cringe worthy. He's Solider Boy, he won World War II and helped a plucky Osama Bin Laden fight off the Soviets! How could he possibly gently caress up and kill innocent people or do more damage than he stopped or people be mad at him? The culmination of his arc is him going to realize that he was a careless rear end in a top hat before the Russians got their hands on him.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I'm pretty sure Homelander heard Termite, do you think he stepped on him on purpose or was that a woopsie moment?

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
He 100% just murked his rear end because he was in the way

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
i thought this episode did a good job of depicting the moral divide between the two boys factions beyond 'hurr temp v bad'

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

dodgeblan posted:

i thought this episode did a good job of depicting the moral divide between the two boys factions beyond 'hurr temp v bad'

I don't think it did because of Annie risking millions of innocent lives with her livestream thing. Way more than Hughie and Butcher are risking with their plan.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Verus posted:

they held him down and he struggled to escape. they caused physical damage because we can see a bruise on his face. even without soldier boy's deus ex machina power, just get one or two more strong people to hold him down and keep bashing his face in the same spot until he's dead.

obviously that is not satisfactory storytelling, but oh well

The visual language is that Butcher on temp V is almost Homelander level, as Temp V works like V where it works different on different people. That's why they had the DBZ beam fight, to show Homelander is just a little stronger than him. Which makes sense with themes, become what you hate and all that. Hughie isnt as strong but has the handy teleport power because that matches his personality and so on.

It did establish that you by default get some kind of strength/durability boost, as A Train was super surprised Hughie was able to do something that hurt him.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Angrymantium posted:

Soldier Boy's cultural memory goes back to the 80s when he was frozen; that stereotype was definitely a thing in the Reaganite "welfare queens are the greatest threat to society" age. I definitely read it as Soldier Boy being careless about collateral damage in context but I wouldn't be surprised if it was intended for a double meaning, and if the next two episodes feature more overt racism from him.

I see Soldier Boy as having his head stuck in the 40s - 60s due to his age, which predated Reagan's dogwhistling. As stated earlier in this thread, I'm super sensitive to that kind of stuff due to living through it, and I didn't get any of that at all and read it as the M Bison thing entirely.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Darko posted:

The visual language is that Butcher on temp V is almost Homelander level, as Temp V works like V where it works different on different people. That's why they had the DBZ beam fight, to show Homelander is just a little stronger than him. Which makes sense with themes, become what you hate and all that. Hughie isnt as strong but has the handy teleport power because that matches his personality and so on.

It did establish that you by default get some kind of strength/durability boost, as A Train was super surprised Hughie was able to do something that hurt him.

That and the russian he gut punched.

I still wonder what happens if someone with regular V takes the temp stuff. Considering how much of a junkie Soldier Boy is, we might find out (Homelander too for that matter, depending on how far gone he ends up please give me the Tetsuo ending)

Also how long do you think Deep's new friend is going to survive?

e: too bad Hughie didn't understand he was being genuine. It'd be a waste if Hughie, Butcher and Soldier Boy come across A-train and take him with them. I don't know what more they can do with him at this point, let him go out on a strong note

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jun 24, 2022

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
I like the fact A-Train wasn't even mad, both because he knew he deserved it and because it was strange it worked

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Considering Soldier Boy and Butcher have legitimate combat training and experience I think it actually reinforces that Homelander is still decently stronger because he it seemed like he was clearly winning the 1v1 matchups

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

As Nero Danced posted:

I still wonder what happens if someone with regular V takes the temp stuff. Considering how much of a junkie Soldier Boy is, we might find out (Homelander too for that matter, depending on how far gone he ends up please give me the Tetsuo ending)

A-Train was juicing with real V, so it stands to reason that temp V would amp up the supes too.

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

I don't think it did because of Annie risking millions of innocent lives with her livestream thing. Way more than Hughie and Butcher are risking with their plan.

I don't think that starlight is like.... the right one- Just that the two sides are better defined now. For Butcher and Hughie the goal is to defeat Homelander, not save the world from homelander. Butcher because he really hates the guy and Hughie to prove that he's not a punk bitch.

For MM and starlight the goal is to figure out a way to live in this world and still be good people.

I think that's an interesting conflict! Better than taking heroin allegory is bad

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
also my favorite line of the ep was 'if he fucks it up it's your head' because it reminds me of my terrible corporate life

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

dodgeblan posted:

I don't think that starlight is like.... the right one- Just that the two sides are better defined now. For Butcher and Hughie the goal is to defeat Homelander, not save the world from homelander. Butcher because he really hates the guy and Hughie to prove that he's not a punk bitch.

For MM and starlight the goal is to figure out a way to live in this world and still be good people.

I think that's an interesting conflict! Better than taking heroin allegory is bad

Yeah that is true, fair point. I'm just annoyed at it because I feel it makes her character a bit too naive.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

christmas boots posted:

Considering Soldier Boy and Butcher have legitimate combat training and experience I think it actually reinforces that Homelander is still decently stronger because he it seemed like he was clearly winning the 1v1 matchups

It's why even if the fight was great (it was), I think it went the wrong way with it. Homelander could have been just pummeled and totally unmatched, while being totally unhurt and unharmed with just that black eye to show for it like in the episode kinda reminding everyone he coasted his powers so anyone playing in the same league on him is going to clown on him, but that he survived nukes without a scratch, so it's not like being jumped is going to do anything but hurt his ego

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I like the read someone had where there's essentially two different threats and Butcher's way of doing things is absolutely necessary for one of them but completely unsuited for the other.

Kind of reminds me of V for Vendetta in the way that V was necessary to bring down the old order but subsequently had no place or role to play in the world that came about.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
wonder who butcher beat up to get the info on the twins

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Alan Smithee posted:

wonder who butcher beat up to get the info on the twins

I like that his methods were ultimately the least effective; everyone got there faster than Butcher did, even the Deep. It's a little thing, but it's a nice payoff by the writers.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Annie's livestream isn't going to work. Vought will label her as an insane person and a liar and whatever they need to do to cover their asses. The public will buy it especially since they've already voiced approval for Homelander's rant on TV. They're going to build this to a point where Starlight is going to have to accept that when dealing with Homelander, the ends justify the means. That's the whole point of what The Boys are doing. You can't use the system's rules to defeat people who refuse to play by those rules

Collateral damage sucks and ideally there would be zero but Homelander can't be stopped any other way than killing him and unless you can convince Homelander to meet in a neutral location to have a final battle there is no way to avoid civilian casualties. In fact Homelander is the sort of person who, unless you tricked him and took him by surprise, would intentionally try to fight in a populated area just to keep supes with morals from going all out on him

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

As always a fantastic episode, however I think having Homelander basically be nearly beaten/ subdued by 1 guy on temp V and Soldier Boy was a poor decision if the truth is he's as strong as implied. If Homelander is this godlike being strength wise he should be easily winning even vs both of them and that makes the need to get off the depowering beam so essential, because otherwise why not get, 3, 4 more people Butcher can trust some of this temp V and fight Homelander again? 4 Supes with super strength should easily be able to hold him down If Hughie has enough strength now that he can assist with that, and ultimately then Starlight and other Supes with super strength being so terrified rings a bit hollow.

Now the other way to look at if is it was a deliberate choice for him to nearly lose even without the beam and the point of the fight was to show that while Homelander is of course ridiculously strong he was never as strong as he thought he was and it was merely because he's never been challenged/ has been fed this all his life by Vought he believes this. Out of everyone he is the strongest, but his strength isn't this untouchable thing it's made out to be, which is an interesting way to take his character.

Elephant Ambush posted:

Annie's livestream isn't going to work. Vought will label her as an insane person and a liar and whatever they need to do to cover their asses. The public will buy it especially since they've already voiced approval for Homelander's rant on TV. They're going to build this to a point where Starlight is going to have to accept that when dealing with Homelander, the ends justify the means. That's the whole point of what The Boys are doing. You can't use the system's rules to defeat people who refuse to play by those rules

It would only really work if she uploads the plane video afterwards which might be something she will do because yeah they'll just say she's gone insane etc.

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jun 24, 2022

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
annie isn't trying to 'win', she's just trying to get out

and it's definitely not going to work in any meaningful sense, choose your own media reality is a big thing they're going for this season

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

FreeRangeHexagon posted:

Black Noir has been the one guy up to this point who Homelander could always rely on. I'm not sure how canon The Boys: Diabolical is but in that we can see that Black Noir was something of a mentor to Homelander when he was starting out as a hero. He's always known that no matter how hosed things get this one guy has his back. And losing that when he needed it most has to be a blow to him.

And I know people over the last few weeks have been "how strong is soldier boy really" but I think it's significant that immediately after homelander is like "noir, you're the only one I can count on. Let's go get soldier boy" black noir is like NOPE I'm digging out my tracker and out of here, gently caress this.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Heard a fan theory that Noir was still loyal to Edgar rather than Vought or Homelander. It could be one of the reasons Edgar was still cool even after Homelander caused his downfall, he still has a card up his sleeve.

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

Nail Rat posted:

And I know people over the last few weeks have been "how strong is soldier boy really" but I think it's significant that immediately after homelander is like "noir, you're the only one I can count on. Let's go get soldier boy" black noir is like NOPE I'm digging out my tracker and out of here, gently caress this.

Black Noir being this scared shows he has no confidence in Homelander's ability to protect him from Soldier Boy. Whether that's because he thinks Soldier Boy is a threat to Homelander or just because he believes that Homelander isn't going to bother protecting him is something I'm not sure of though. It was also impressive that Noir's panic was something that showed even through his costume, lack of dialogue. I love how the show can get such a flat character to emote like that.

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

:capitalism::dehumanize:

No Dignity posted:

I think Soldier Boy is meant to be representative of the America of his era. He's a callous, violent rear end in a top hat but there's still a grounding human element to him. Like even from his incidental dialogue you can see he still thinks of himself as part of a society and not completely above it, he actually believed that the Mujahadeen were his guys and supported in their cause. It's a fun bit of storytelling, having the hero of the 20th century being this greatest generation thug who believed in capitalism and the american way going over to the hero of the 21st century being a pure product of capitalism who believes in nothing but himself and his own image

I didn't even get that. That's awesome.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

I mean, the difference is just “now these people understand that they were ALL ALWAYS IN DANGER ANYWAY, instead of not being aware of how hosed up Homelander is”.

Anyways, this might be the end of Ashley, Vought dissolving on a live stream and losing Starlight AFTER Homie got his little blue boxer shorts beat? LoL he’s gonna fly her up to space and leave her floating their to suffocate before she freezes to death.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Are we sure Noir is running? He could be loyal to Soldier Boy and needs to get the tracker out to go get some poo poo done, or find him alone.

He also could be Vought loyal, but knows that poo poo will go down and Soldier Boy may be able to use the tracker against Noir.

Surprising that Soldier Boy hasn’t mentioned Noir yet, given that he’s apparently the baddest remaining member of Payback, and the only one who got into the 7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Are we sure Noir is running? He could be loyal to Soldier Boy and needs to get the tracker out to go get some poo poo done, or find him alone.

He also could be Vought loyal, but knows that poo poo will go down and Soldier Boy may be able to use the tracker against Noir.

Surprising that Soldier Boy hasn’t mentioned Noir yet, given that he’s apparently the baddest remaining member of Payback, and the only one who got into the 7.

I think it's addressed by his response to the twins. In his mind Noir is such a Company Man that he wouldn't have been involved in anything that didn't come directly from the top.