Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
i don't see why you would include the coil if you stick a QR skewer through just for maintenance purposes - i won't comment on whether that's something you should or shouldn't do in the first place, i wouldn't know. either way, i think they'd have to consciously add the coil to the end they're sticking through the frame before twisting the end cap on, and adding the coil makes little sense to me, let alone two...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
If you need an axle in the bike you just use the TA. I can’t see a reason to use QA.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Trying to clamp the QR ends with any force to the frame would damage the carbon -- it's not designed to take any force from that direction.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
I can’t conceive how having the springs in there in the first place would work.

Is this mechanic some person who just does bike work on the side? I’d actually just avoid going to this mechanic in the future - just seems like they are suffering from Dunning kruger given their spoke statements as well.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

Shadowhand00 posted:

suffering from Dunning kruger

lol

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
well no they’re pretty established in the neighborhood, it’s like a small mom & pop store and they’ve been there forever, I even went there as a kid. I just haven’t gone there that often in total and they did good work on my old touring bike, installing a front pannier rack, stuff like that.

Although their comment of how they installed disk brakes on some dude’s bike and they were worn down after a week and nobody could explain it now shines in a different light. (They told me about that when I came back with my rim brakes completely worn down after a month and maybe 200km rides, 40 of them in pouring rain)

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Just because they've been around a while doesn't mean they are any good.
Bike shops are weird. So many that are way better than they ought to be, and the reverse.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Well dang, I took apart my pedals and snugged up the bearings a tiny bit to try to eliminate any play, and freshly regreased them, but there still seems to be some slop in the axle/pedal body back on the bike especially under hard load.

Maybe I just didn't tighten the bearings enough? There wasn't any obvious play with them apart. Or maybe the pedals are a red herring and the play is in the bottom bracket??

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Guinness posted:

Well dang, I took apart my pedals and snugged up the bearings a tiny bit to try to eliminate any play, and freshly regreased them, but there still seems to be some slop in the axle/pedal body back on the bike especially under hard load.

Maybe I just didn't tighten the bearings enough? There wasn't any obvious play with them apart. Or maybe the pedals are a red herring and the play is in the bottom bracket??

When you take the pedal off and hold it by the threads and pull it around... Is there play? This should be pretty easy to isolate but the next thing to check is that the cranks are on tight, not necessarily a failing BB.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

When you take the pedal off and hold it by the threads and pull it around... Is there play? This should be pretty easy to isolate but the next thing to check is that the cranks are on tight, not necessarily a failing BB.

Yes there is a bit of noticeable play and I can even get it to kind of click but only when I torque the pedal body hard on the axle.

I checked the bolts on my left side crank arm, the side that feels like it is clicking, and went out for a ride and the bit of clicking is still happening.

Maybe I should swap on my wife's pedals just to try to isolate the problem to the pedals or the crank/bb.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Guinness posted:

Yes there is a bit of noticeable play and I can even get it to kind of click but only when I torque the pedal body hard on the axle.

I checked the bolts on my left side crank arm, the side that feels like it is clicking, and went out for a ride and the bit of clicking is still happening.

Maybe I should swap on my wife's pedals just to try to isolate the problem to the pedals or the crank/bb.

Yeah that's a good idea also if you're my age check your ankles knees and hips to see if the play is coming from there.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

VelociBacon posted:

Yeah that's a good idea also if you're my age check your ankles knees and hips to see if the play is coming from there.

:allears:

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
My Canfield balance's bottom bracket has been making a fair bit of popping and flexing noises, so I am finally starting the process of stripping the cranks off and cleaning the bb, have a new dub bsa bb but I'll see if it's just dirt in the threads making it creak

The first step in the process is to order a new yt Capra so that I can ride it while my Canfield is out of order, right? Step 1 done 😎

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

Well the saga continues. I did a bunch of cleaning and maintenance today including a new chain and checking and tightening every bolt from the seat post/clamp to the pedals to the crankset to the cassette lockring. The tiny bit of play in the pedals may be a red herring after all, since after I tore them down, adjusted, and regreased them they seem mostly fine and spin super smoothly.

I have not yet tried swapping pedals since my wife was using her bike, so I'll still do that if this ends up being a dead end. But some new symptoms started exhibiting on my most recent ride that may be related, or the root cause.

I have a Brooks Cambium C17 saddle on the bike, and it has started significantly creaking and clicking under heavy flex in the back of the saddle where the top of the saddle joins with the rear of the rails. This seems like it might align with the clicking I'm experiencing, if it is getting transmitted through the seat post/tube and into the crank? Naturally, it is out of warranty at this point.

Some quick googling seems like this is a somewhat common problem with these saddles due to their design: https://www.bikeforums.net/general-cycling-discussion/1180691-clicking-brooks-cambium-c-17-a.html

The rear rails are not actually connected to saddle (by design), and that seems to be what is causing the obvious creaking. There's really no adjustability here it seems, and I tried to get a little grease into the "socket", but no real change.

I hate chasing stuff like this down, but maybe progress... I'll have to dig through my boxes of bike parts in the garage to see if I have an old saddle to swap.

Edit: woooo I fixed it! Through the unscientific process of cleaning everything and then greasing and tightening every drat bolt and bearing on the bike from the saddle rivets down to the bottom bracket cups, the creaking/clicking is finally gone. I don't know specifically what the culprit was, but I am relieved and the bike rides like a dream.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jun 20, 2022

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
The bottom bracket of my commuter suddenly started making horrible noises yesterday. I decided to open it up and, uh... one of these things is not like the other.

I'm assuming I had it tightened too far to where it had lateral pressure on it. The non-drive side cup kept coming loose last summer and I'd put some blue loctite on and really jammed it in place. I thought I'd adjusted it properly from the other side, but it seems not.

I was spinning at a high cadence in a tailwind when it happened, and maybe that was the last straw?Or it was just coincidence. Either way, it's new bearing time.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

I’ve got a ~1mm stick stuck in my tubeless fat tire. Currently holding air. Put a plug in or unmount the tire and patch? I’d prefer not to reseat the bead.

pmcTRILOGY
Feb 9, 2014

MY BRAND!
Bike noob question. I bought a Giant Revolt 2 from my LBS back in November and it's been a ton of fun, already put like 2k miles on it having rode like maybe 1k miles total in my life beforehand. Bikes are good.

I noticed this week when trying to figure out some rattling that my front brake cable had shifted and created a lot of wear on the front of the frame. I'm a gremlin so I don't really care about aesthetics but I wanted to check in if this sort of thing could create safety problems if untreated.

Giant has a 1-year warranty so maybe I should just go see if my LBS would do anything about it under warranty or otherwise.

Also my level of maintenance knowledge is limited to changing tubes (not on this bike) and lubing chains, so maybe there's some obvious problem/solution?

Thanks!

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

It's fine, they'd make it fall under normal wear and tear anyway. I put clear film on all my new bikes now in a couple places to prevent that as much as possible. Long term there might be a small chance you can wear through the cable housing/brake hose, but that would be years,

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Maybe they will give you a bit of paint protection film for free.

pmcTRILOGY
Feb 9, 2014

MY BRAND!

FireTora posted:

It's fine, they'd make it fall under normal wear and tear anyway. I put clear film on all my new bikes now in a couple places to prevent that as much as possible. Long term there might be a small chance you can wear through the cable housing/brake hose, but that would be years,

CopperHound posted:

Maybe they will give you a bit of paint protection film for free.

Thanks both for the info! I did shift the cabling around a little bit (I think I might've caused this to happen when I was attaching something to the handlebar) so it should stay the same until my next visit to the LBS. They've been super great so I'll at least point the blemish out to them and they can have the opportunity to give me some film.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
3M helicopter tape. if you really care get some touch up paint/nail polish then apply the tape over it once dried.
This doesn't look it but if its deep you can use some clear epoxy to backfill then wetstand it to the same height as the surrounding material. It won't be perfect but it'll be solid. (going all out is using windshield repair kits or fabricobble something like it and pulling a vacuum on your epoxy job to remove any bubbles)

Embrace the scratches and wear. Wearing the bike out is part of the fun.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

Wifi Toilet posted:

:can: time

I'm thinking of building some wheels since I've never done it before and I want a project. Symmetric or asymmetric carbon rims? Asymmetric gives you better spoke angles for more even tension, and they're supposedly stronger laterally. But wouldn't symmetric rims be stronger vertically? Bridge arches must be symmetrical for a reason right?

Went asymmetric, time to find out how badly I hosed up my measurements.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Wifi Toilet posted:

Went asymmetric, time to find out how badly I hosed up my measurements.

I hope you have an overall positive experience. Building your own wheel can be a very rewarding experience.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

CopperHound posted:

I hope you have an overall positive experience. Building your own wheel can be a very rewarding experience.

Thanks! So far, so good. Still need to true and tension them, but all parts are now in the shape of a wheel and I don't have any spokes sticking out the end of the nipples yet.

I may have had to redo the first 7 spokes on the second wheel after realizing I started on the wrong flange.

Kind of regret not adding some bling to the build, they're looking kinda :effort:

I'd get some rim stickers off ali, but most of them are just brand names. They do have these pretty sweet skulls though, hmmm

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

They look fine to me, don't put ugly stickers on!

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

Wifi Toilet posted:

I may have had to redo the first 7 spokes on the second wheel after realizing I started on the wrong flange.

Nice! What parts?

Left wheel looks a bit screwy but could just be the angle of view.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

sweat poteto posted:

Nice! What parts?

Left wheel looks a bit screwy but could just be the angle of view.

I think it's the angle, they aren't true yet, but only about 3mm side to side wobble. No idea how far the dish is off yet. Probably won't get a few more hours to work on them until the weekend.

I might have taken this advice way too hard

e.pilot posted:

building wheels is fun, do something cheap for the first set

and went with an aliexpress special:

Rims: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256801171393414.html
Hubs: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2251832783254314.html
Sapim Race spokes and polyax nipples

Wifi Toilet fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jun 24, 2022

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Can anyone point me in the right direction for what tool I'll need to remove this bottom bracket?

16 irregular internal notches, with 4 being bigger than the others. Internal diameter about 31.5mm.

Bike was bought second-hand and I'm planning on adding a BBSH02 motor. I've referred to the Park Tools Bottom Bracket Tool Selection article and been googling for a while now, and haven't found an exact match yet. Am I overlooking something? Any leads?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I'm about 80% sure the 20 spline tool fits in there.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

CopperHound posted:

Nice that's still 16 splines

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

CopperHound posted:

ahhhhhhh yeah almost certainly it. ordering a BBT-22 now. Thanks!

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS
I just put on new rotors and jagwire sintered e-bike pads(only thing the local shop had in that form factor) on my bike. I have TRP hy/rds front and rear. I pressed the pistons back, centered the brakes, made sure the wheels are centered, double checked that the new and old rotors were the same thickness, even adjusted the pistons and set screws.

Nothing I do will let the pistons retract enough for the pads enough to not rub on the rotors. Inner and outer pads are rubbing. I've pumped the brakes and detached and reset the cables as well. Is there anything else to try?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
You'll have to visually align by looking down over the pads, hoping to see air on both sides of the rotor.
I think there's a good chance that, with a mechanical cable, there's a lot of side force on the caliper, and the left pad is hitting at the front edge and the right edge is hitting at the rear. Or vice versa.

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS

kimbo305 posted:

You'll have to visually align by looking down over the pads, hoping to see air on both sides of the rotor.
I think there's a good chance that, with a mechanical cable, there's a lot of side force on the caliper, and the left pad is hitting at the front edge and the right edge is hitting at the rear. Or vice versa.

In case it helps, TRP Hy/Rd are cable actuated hydraulic calipers. They are fully resting on the rotors, front and rear. Not with a tremendous amount of pressure, but consistent. Loosening the mounting bolts and grabbing some brake while re-tightening them hasn't helped sadly.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Nyyen posted:

In case it helps, TRP Hy/Rd are cable actuated hydraulic calipers. They are fully resting on the rotors, front and rear. Not with a tremendous amount of pressure, but consistent. Loosening the mounting bolts and grabbing some brake while re-tightening them hasn't helped sadly.

I guess there's no lever adjustments? If you take the cable out of the caliper so it's fully relaxed, does it still rub?

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS

VelociBacon posted:

I guess there's no lever adjustments? If you take the cable out of the caliper so it's fully relaxed, does it still rub?

Yep. It's as if it it could never fit new pads and rotors. I'm wondering if it is either an issue that requires bleeding the system, or perhaps e-bike pads are thicker?

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Nyyen posted:

I just put on new rotors and jagwire sintered e-bike pads(only thing the local shop had in that form factor) on my bike. I have TRP hy/rds front and rear. I pressed the pistons back, centered the brakes, made sure the wheels are centered, double checked that the new and old rotors were the same thickness, even adjusted the pistons and set screws.

Nothing I do will let the pistons retract enough for the pads enough to not rub on the rotors. Inner and outer pads are rubbing. I've pumped the brakes and detached and reset the cables as well. Is there anything else to try?

When installing hy/rds the calipers are aligned by mounting them with non-tightened bolts, and then tightening the screws while squeezing the brake lever hard. Then you release the lever and the rotor should spin freely.

It is possible to bleed the hydro reservoir, but you do that when braking is spongy, not to solve a misalignment. If the hydraulic pressure is too low you would get the opposite problem I would think? (can't brake, pistons won't move out). Here's the manual for the brakes if you haven't looked at them yet, it includes a detailed guide for replacing the pads. Maybe you missed one when installing? It also contains instructions for bleeding. https://www.trpbrakes.com/userfiles/HYRD_Final_053113.pdf

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Are you able to screw in the locking bolt/screw?

If you can't you might need to adjust the pushrod

This video covers it https://youtu.be/BcZKtFI8Els

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS

Skarsnik posted:

Are you able to screw in the locking bolt/screw?

If you can't you might need to adjust the pushrod

This video covers it https://youtu.be/BcZKtFI8Els

Yep, tried adjusting the pushrod and locking screw, without luck. I'm honestly baffled since I haven't bled these in over 6~ years of ownership, gone through 2 sets of rotors and 3 sets of pads so far, and haven't had a single issue. I'm honestly hoping for a silver bullet before letting it be my LBS's problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Just checked the compatibility for those pads and they claim to fit, but yeah maybe they are just a bit thicker