Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
i probably could've prevented this but it didnt feel right to do a "Recruit Everyone" run on my first playthrough, so

RIP Lindhardt. Sorry for killing your boyfriend, Caspar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I think the biggest thing you miss out on is knowing who the characters are and why they do some actions. They really don't do much work introducing you to the cast of each route and getting you to care for them, it's the main thing it expects you to just already know and be like "yay my friends are back".

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Chapter 5 of Golden Wildfire. I know it's a moment playing to his strengths but Holst is totally nuts. Also Baltie Get!

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

somewhat disappointed that the full class list doesnt seem to include dark flier or valkyrie

what are hapi and constance supposed to do, huh?? you cant have EVERYONE be a gremory

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

DC Murderverse posted:

Picking up right where the demo left off with my Lions! Seeing Hapi and Petra and recruiting them right away was a nice surprise.

:hai:

Petra has a conversation support with Dedue? Ok, I gotta get that now.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The expedition system is basically a good version of the tea party system.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Blaziken386 posted:

i probably could've prevented this but it didnt feel right to do a "Recruit Everyone" run on my first playthrough, so

RIP Lindhardt. Sorry for killing your boyfriend, Caspar

:same: on BL, loving RIP Petra and Dorothea I did not expect opposing faction deaths to come so soon.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Felix's personal skill makes him incredibly good at slow classes, funnily enough. Just Felix with a big axe slamming down XXY dodge over and over increasingly quickly. Also very good at the same combo with mage, since he gets the lightning upgrade skill. I feel like most of the Blue Lions actually have skills that are better in classes outside their defaults, really. Sylvains range increases make him insane as a thief, Mercedes aoe damageheal is a lot more valuable when you don't have a natural heal button and Dedue makes for a hilarious archer. Ashe and Annette have pretty meh personal skills imo while Ingrid and Dimitri are just kinda good in whatever you give them.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Sydin posted:

:same: on BL, loving RIP Petra and Dorothea I did not expect opposing faction deaths to come so soon.

I’m furious I had to kill Dorothea so soon, I know she’d never betray Edie but what is she doing near the front lines? Almost makes me want to go do the Eagles line now.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I love that the in-battle recruitment mechanic is spend 10 strategy points, push butan, then bonk them on the head. Welcome to the Blue Lions Petra and Hapi, sorry about the bruises.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
SB Chapter 4: Mages for you and me mages for everyone.

These battles are really drat tense even with my tons of grinding. Chapter 5's main battle is already recommending level 30 yeesh.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
It looks like putting everybody in their preferred class is the proper choice because if I do not do it, the game punishes me with suboptimal fashion.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Rand Brittain posted:

It looks like putting everybody in their preferred class is the proper choice because if I do not do it, the game punishes me with suboptimal fashion.

You can force people to wear their unique costumes, it'll override most classes. You can also force the generic class costume if you don't like their unique one.

The options are in Shez's tent.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I like forcing the class costumes because Annette wearing giant heavy armor is very funny.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Zore posted:

You can force people to wear their unique costumes, it'll override most classes. You can also force the generic class costume if you don't like their unique one.

The options are in Shez's tent.
sadly, much like three houses, it will not override Horse. Horse is the most powerful fashion.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

DC Murderverse posted:

I’m furious I had to kill Dorothea so soon, I know she’d never betray Edie but what is she doing near the front lines? Almost makes me want to go do the Eagles line now.

Update: Dorothea returned and was in fact turned away from the Empire by the power of Ingrid’s mighty spear. I think there might be a metaphor in there but it’s too late to figure it out.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Sylvain getting up past 900 hits and having his weapon turned into a mile long lightsaber is lots of fun

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Blaziken386 posted:

sadly, much like three houses, it will not override Horse. Horse is the most powerful fashion.

So... since Marianne summons Horse, is Marianne the Fashion Queen of Fodlan?

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
SB C5: Boy Byleth sure hits ungodly hard.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm new to musou stuff in general. Should I expect to basically only use a core four characters for the whole story because of how EXP/resources work out, or can you easily raise up some alternate units to swap in?

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Harrow posted:

I'm new to musou stuff in general. Should I expect to basically only use a core four characters for the whole story because of how EXP/resources work out, or can you easily raise up some alternate units to swap in?

there's tons of catchup training options at the base camp post timeskip, you can go hog wild.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Caidin posted:

Chapter 5 of Golden Wildfire. I know it's a moment playing to his strengths but Holst is totally nuts. Also Baltie Get!

Holst is great! His unique action is to boost his own attack speed and add lightning to his attacks so of course I'm going to make him a mainstay of my army.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zaggitz posted:

there's tons of catchup training options at the base camp post timeskip, you can go hog wild.

Dope

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Folt The Bolt posted:

Holst is great! His unique action is to boost his own attack speed and add lightning to his attacks so of course I'm going to make him a mainstay of my army.

But is one of his lines "I think that enemy got...the point"?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I had no idea SungWon Cho was in this game, hell yeah

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
The game also has a 'rest' mechanic where units get a big bonus to EXP if they haven't been used lately, so it seems to actively encourage frequent switching raising a wider base than some others do.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Eimi posted:

But is one of his lines "I think that enemy got...the point"?

I don't think so, Holst is a bit more of a serious guy.

Incidentally, his magic list looks great! Thunder, Sagittae, Thoron, and Bolting sounds like a very solid list (especially because I've used three of those spells before, so I know how good they are in this game) especially with Essence of Lightning being part of his Warlock learnset, and he has access to Seraphim if you can get yourself to Bishop. Not to mention how his actual Magic stat is leaps and bounds better than most characters.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

speaking of magic, my shez has had some weird stat growths and not only is her magic stat slightly higher than her strength, it's higher than lysithea's. very worth your while to invest in training her to use it, she makes for a fun mixed attacker

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Blaziken386 posted:

speaking of magic, my shez has had some weird stat growths and not only is her magic stat slightly higher than her strength, it's higher than lysithea's. very worth your while to invest in training her to use it, she makes for a fun mixed attacker

Shez's base class comes with some magic already so I think you're actually meant to do this by default.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Shez also seems to have absurd growths. I know they have an over 100% speed growth because I've already seen them proc a +2 a few times.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah my Shez is out-strengthing Dimitri, which not even Byleth could accomplish in any of my BL runs. Shez is loving nuts.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Growths are also weird or I'm getting some very strange luck with them so far. Caspar has higher Magic than Strength which is uh.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Are there any datamines on growths? Because if they were pure rng that's not...great.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Considering you can completely reset a unit's level to redo their growths its got to be some kind of RNG. Which is bizarre as hell considering how the original handled it was basically perfect.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Zore posted:

Considering you can completely reset a unit's level to redo their growths its got to be some kind of RNG. Which is bizarre as hell considering how the original handled it was basically perfect.

Yeah that's a major step back.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Stats are largely irrelevant in my experience. I mean, they still matter a little bit but this is a musou, not a tight strategy game. So long as you're attacking effective targets you're probably good with whatever. On that note, don't sleep on the anti-armor weapons and the like, they give you triple arrow advantage against the targets and that is actually insane.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Zore posted:

Shez also seems to have absurd growths. I know they have an over 100% speed growth because I've already seen them proc a +2 a few times.

I've gotten two +2s with Sylvain so either he found someone to sell him steroids between chapters 5 and 6, or stat growths are working differently in this one.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Speaking of Sylvain, I'm kinda torn on his characterization. On the one hand the fact that he's got his poo poo together now because he's trying to support Dimitri and Felix is interesting, but on the other hand he's now just... kinda there? Like even when it's revealed that Miklan is alive and has been press-ganged into serving Dimitri he doesn't really have a whole lot to say about it which feels weird. IDK it's early yet maybe his new character will go places, but so far it just feels like in the process of stripping out almost all his negative character traits he barely has anything left going on.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Blaziken386 posted:

Kanos posted:

Shez's base class comes with some magic already so I think you're actually meant to do this by default.

Shez makes a thousand times a better mage than Byleth did, and considering they learn Banshee, Luna, and Dark Spikes as potential spells, and thus fills out their Reason spell list entirely, I wonder if it has to do with making them kind of the opposite of Byleth in ability in every way. They really played up their association with darkness (and Reason magic by extension, considering their Faith list is considerably smaller and more support-focused compared to Byleth being more offensive-focused with their Faith spell list). Especially if you went with Male Shez because he gets access to the Dark Mage line and Essence of Darkness, which I'm not saying no to.

Either way, I like that the game went out of it's way to give us more magic-capable boys; especially since Dark Bishop became a Master Class in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Okay no Cavalier Hubert with the Scythe of Sariel is actually incredibly fun holy poo poo

All the Black Eagle mages are great in melee classes, Hubert can spread his spikes around super easy, big sweeps spawns tons of Dorothea's notes and makes them easy to hit, Monica's timed button presses feel great to execute as a Thief.