Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
I appreciate it for the people who just don’t have a PC but holy poo poo I can’t think of a worse game to play on a console, especially a ps4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Uh, is the game gonna be ready in 3 months

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Uh, is the game gonna be ready in 3 months

What do you mean? The game is Taleworlds finished!

Edit - and joking aside, if I skim through my Steam friendslist of people I know that have the game, most have more hours in this than in AAA games like Witcher 3. If mods like The Old Realms or anything like Warband's CRPG ever get released, those numbers will certainly go into the multiple hundreds and thousands that those same people have for Warband.

litany of gulps fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jun 24, 2022

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Gamerofthegame posted:

For the soldier mod, how long does a contract actually last...?

From my experience, one year, and if your lord somehow manages to not get themselves hosed in that duration, you get to retire with all your equipment. You can also just desert, but that tends to make enemies.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Are there any overhaul mods worth trying yet? I last played last year and it seemed like the mod scene wasn't as strong as it was for warband.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Chas McGill posted:

Are there any overhaul mods worth trying yet? I last played last year and it seemed like the mod scene wasn't as strong as it was for warband.

There are a lot less mod tools available compared to Warband, though that is slowly changing so there aren't a lot of overhaul mods yet.

There is the Old Realms which is Warhammer Fantasy but it's very alpha, I can't get it to run properly at all. Others have good things to say though

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
getting mods to run properly is a pain in my neck and so far i haven't found anything that makes for a Must Have that's worth it

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Especially because each patch wipes out your mods and kills your save. The sort of drip feed updating kills the slightest desire to play this for me.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
Serve as Soldier owns since running around getting into big battles without having to worry about micromanaging money is cool

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
if you get high enough rank you can honorably quit if I remember right

Qubee
May 31, 2013

So I'm level 10, I'm basically weak as hell in battles but I've got amazing gear and a really sick 1h / 2h sword that the Scottish clan gifted me when I became a vassal. Nice touch! However, I'm having a real hard time.

When I was a mercenary, I was getting between 200-600 gold, sometimes it was tough going and I was bleeding money due to soldier wages, other times the merc rate was high enough that I was actually earning gold daily. I don't know what influenced the rate.

Once I became a vassal - I never wanted to be a vassal but I just ended up liking the Scottish people too much and I wanted to marry the daughter of a guy I'd fought in so many battles with (she ended up dying) - I'm now hemorrhaging money and the 40,000 denars I amassed as a mercenary is slowing dwindling. I have a wood shop and a castle, both of which provide peanuts. Any advice?

I want to be able to maintain a 100 man army without constantly struggling for money.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Start blacksmithing.

tgacon
Mar 22, 2009

Qubee posted:

So I'm level 10, I'm basically weak as hell in battles but I've got amazing gear and a really sick 1h / 2h sword that the Scottish clan gifted me when I became a vassal. Nice touch! However, I'm having a real hard time.

When I was a mercenary, I was getting between 200-600 gold, sometimes it was tough going and I was bleeding money due to soldier wages, other times the merc rate was high enough that I was actually earning gold daily. I don't know what influenced the rate.

Once I became a vassal - I never wanted to be a vassal but I just ended up liking the Scottish people too much and I wanted to marry the daughter of a guy I'd fought in so many battles with (she ended up dying) - I'm now hemorrhaging money and the 40,000 denars I amassed as a mercenary is slowing dwindling. I have a wood shop and a castle, both of which provide peanuts. Any advice?

I want to be able to maintain a 100 man army without constantly struggling for money.

When you’re a mercenary, every day 20 or so percent of your influence gets converted to money as your wages

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Troops only start getting really expensive when they're at the higher upgrade levels. You can't support an army full of max tier guys without a lot more income (the kind of money you get by owning one or two rich towns, or by getting a lot of loot from beating armies led by enemy nobles). Your choices are to make money from blacksmithing, or to get rid of some of your high tier troops (you can give them to other lords for influence and relationship points) and replace them with cheaper ones, then upgrade the composition of your army when you can afford it.

I haven't played in a while so it might be different now, but I found that making secondary parties with companions or family members in charge helped boost income. Their costs and incomes go straight into your gold pile, and although you'll need to cover the costs of their troops when they start out they'll eventually become self-sufficient from battle loot and whatever trading they do.

E: imo the best way to get money fast besides smithing or beating lords in battle is to buy khuzait and aserai horses in the southeast of the map and sell them in the northwest

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jun 24, 2022

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

If you don't mind being a 'bad guy', raiding caravans is a good way to pay for your army without cheesing blacksmithing.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I kinda RP a bit by not upgrading troops past levels where they have better armor than me. That's mostly a big flaw in the "believability" of the game, when you can't even afford the same poo poo your dudes are wearing but can afford to pay them to upgrade all the way to that level, but as it is it also helps me save cash.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
I know there's mods that do this, but I can't find them:

I want to set a kind of standard army/party composition and then have troops upgraded automatically according to this composition.
I want to do this because I'd like my army to be the way I'd organize my own party, and the other clan members in my army keep making bad recruitment and upgrade decisions (that also prevent my army from being all pretty and uniform).

Does anyone know a mod for this? One that works with 1.7.1, if possible

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

EricBauman posted:

I know there's mods that do this, but I can't find them:

I want to set a kind of standard army/party composition and then have troops upgraded automatically according to this composition.
I want to do this because I'd like my army to be the way I'd organize my own party, and the other clan members in my army keep making bad recruitment and upgrade decisions (that also prevent my army from being all pretty and uniform).

Does anyone know a mod for this? One that works with 1.7.1, if possible

I think Party AI Overhaul And Commands had something like this, but I never messed with it personally.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I wish there was a way to use influence to encourage fellow armies to work towards a common goal. I'll see an army beelining towards a castle to besiege it, so I'll get the ball rolling and besiege it first since I'm closer. Said army immediately 180s instead of helping.

Another huge frustration, when two AI groups fight, time still passes so other groups can join the fray (yourself included). If you get into a skirmish? Time pauses. There'll be no reinforcements coming to help, even if you have an ally with 400 men just a stone's throw away. Why?! I remember the first time I jumped into battle and simulated it, thinking my ally would come and save the day. Nope. Frozen.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

For your second point just imagine trying to play early game if all the looters can just keep pile into your battle when all you have is a stick and 5 farmers.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

BadLlama posted:

For your second point just imagine trying to play early game if all the looters can just keep pile into your battle when all you have is a stick and 5 farmers.

... I take my stick and carefully, slowly beat the poo poo out of every single one of the looters

this process takes another 15 minutes per group that joins, but the eventual pile of corpses and raggedy fur mittens nets me enough wealth out of my first and only battle to secure a workshop and I'm off to the smithing races

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
It would be cool to eventually have new forces join the battle Helms deep style but the problem is that unless you're running a super computer late arriving armies are just going into the spawn and be routed reserves.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

It would be cool to eventually have new forces join the battle Helms deep style but the problem is that unless you're running a super computer late arriving armies are just going into the spawn and be routed reserves.

They'd first have to solve the problem of reinforcements trickling in in small groups, and being added to units that already are on the front lines.
But perhaps it's easier to just have new parties join the battle as separate armies, even if that gives the player less control

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I've been in a few battles where the AI was super defensive and hogged the side of the map, and me and my boys would be totally thwarting the enemy only to find ourselves being outnumbered and surrounded because the AI reinforcements are spawning in so much closer than our own reinforcements.

Lost a few battles because of that bullshit. Had to replay them and just hold a position far enough away from the enemy spawn point to not get overwhelmed. It was super jarring the first time it happened because one minute I'm wading through the corpses of my enemies and seeing them really start to thin out, the next, my honour guard is nowhere to be seen and a zerg rush of fresh-faced enemies are gunning it towards me and enveloping me.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Yeah i hated getting my poo poo ruined because a bunch of enemies spawned in the middle of a big fight and instantly flanking me. The last patch said they were reworking the reinforcement spawning so that reinforcements should spawn at the edge of the playable area, as far away from the enemies as possible.

quote:

Implemented an improved system for spawning reinforcements in battles:
Reinforcements will now always spawn near the deployment boundaries of the battle.
The initial wave of troops always spawns on the original path with respect to the position of the battle on the campaign map and the battle size. There are two new spawn paths that reinforcements can spawn on, one path counter-clockwise to the original path and one path clockwise to the original path.
Reinforcements will pick the safest spawn path of the three with the safest spawn path being the one furthest away from the enemy.
This improved system prevents the camping of spawn points by the enemy as well as the spawning of troops in the middle of an active fight.
Fixed a bug in reinforcement reserves computation which created various problems during reinforcement spawning.

I haven't played to try it out myself

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Qubee posted:

I wish there was a way to use influence to encourage fellow armies to work towards a common goal. I'll see an army beelining towards a castle to besiege it, so I'll get the ball rolling and besiege it first since I'm closer. Said army immediately 180s instead of helping.

Another huge frustration, when two AI groups fight, time still passes so other groups can join the fray (yourself included). If you get into a skirmish? Time pauses. There'll be no reinforcements coming to help, even if you have an ally with 400 men just a stone's throw away. Why?! I remember the first time I jumped into battle and simulated it, thinking my ally would come and save the day. Nope. Frozen.

Playing the 'serve as a soldier' mod has shown me just how downright terrible the AI can be. I'm on 1.7.2, so I'm looking forward to the next version because I think they said there are improvements?

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Shear Modulus posted:

Yeah i hated getting my poo poo ruined because a bunch of enemies spawned in the middle of a big fight and instantly flanking me. The last patch said they were reworking the reinforcement spawning so that reinforcements should spawn at the edge of the playable area, as far away from the enemies as possible.

I'm afraid 'deployment boundaries' isn't going to mean playable area, but instead the boundaries of the area you can use for the pre-battle deployment. So if they want reinforcements to not spawn into a battle, they should put those areas outside the actual map. That's not that hard to do: just turn that part of the map into inaccessible terrain (like the rocks and some slopes are) once the battle begins so you can only order your troops away from it.

I'm going to have to play with the new system to find out if I'm going to disappointed.

Games like Red Orchestra figured out spawn zones a century ago, so how can it be so difficult.

Also, if I set my cavalry to be equally divided between units 3 and 4, maybe don't spawn all of my cavalry reinforcements into unit 3.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Maybe the solution is just to remove the unit cap so there aren't any reinforcements to deal with

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

A lot of the :taleworlds: elements of this games dev choices made a lot more sense when I found out they’re based out of a university

bltzn
Oct 26, 2020

For the record I do not have a foot fetish.
Imo there should be limited to no reinforcements. Once one side wins after a given number of reinforcement waves, you go back to the world map with the option of continuing, retreating, or whatever. Also gives you the option to save when you're in the middle of a 1000+ troop battle.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

bltzn posted:

Imo there should be limited to no reinforcements. Once one side wins after a given number of reinforcement waves, you go back to the world map with the option of continuing, retreating, or whatever. Also gives you the option to save when you're in the middle of a 1000+ troop battle.

That's what it did in warband right?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

bltzn posted:

doing that means ammo doesn't matter, hence

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Gamerofthegame posted:

Sure it does. Depends a bit on how things are balanced, but if you make the reinforcements spawn in groups of 40 or 50 rather than the 15ish that seem to spawn now, and you do three waves of reinforcement, the group that initially deployed will be dry by the time the last group deploys. Then during the rest of the fight, ammo will organically run out.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Gamerofthegame posted:

Could make ammo replenish over time like health does.

You could even chose to make various ammo replenish at varying rates to represent ease of recovery, so rocks would recover very, very quickly and basic javelins would be alright and higher tier arrows would, in addition to needing to recover 2 quiver's worth, would also be fairly slow.

Give pre-battle deployment options to favor deploying full-ammo troops first and you're probably good to go. Hell, even without changing reinforcement and deployment they probably should do that. It might help with the predominance of ranged troops to give them a logistics chain.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jun 30, 2022

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Anyone tried running a Vlandian army with nothing but crossbows and cavalry? Sometimes I feel like I'd be better off just doing a big blob of crossbows, maybe with Voulgiers sitting behind them, with heavy cavalry in the wings since Sharpshooters have good armor and a shield. It feels like it could be less micro-intensive and more efficient at killing enemies that way.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

toasterwarrior posted:

Anyone tried running a Vlandian army with nothing but crossbows and cavalry? Sometimes I feel like I'd be better off just doing a big blob of crossbows, maybe with Voulgiers sitting behind them, with heavy cavalry in the wings since Sharpshooters have good armor and a shield. It feels like it could be less micro-intensive and more efficient at killing enemies that way.

Vlandian Sergeants are some of the best foot troops in the game so I would never go without tbh

I think your plan would work ok though if you messed up the initial cav charge your crossbowmen might get owned

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
That's a good point, especially since I've actually felt like my cavalry has been underperforming.

Maybe I should reinstall RBM's AI mod again...

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

toasterwarrior posted:

I did a run with almost all Vlandian crossbowmen (and whatever cav and inf I happened to rescue on the way) and it was probably the most effective force I tried aside from all Fians. Of course, the crossbowmen have the advantage of being much easier and cheaper to recruit and replace since they aren't noble troops.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I personally think it's super dumb that most end battle screens show my archers being the most deadly, even if my troops were wading in bodies all match. Archers need a nerf or - like the earlier poster said - some form of logistics to make them not as powerful. Ammo management would be cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Charles VI posted:

Archers need a nerf or - like the earlier poster said - some form of logistics to make them not as powerful.

Cavalry can do a good job of loving up archers, or at least distract than from killing all your infantry.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jun 30, 2022