Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Worldshatter posted:

A legitimate question - what does a Business Analyst actually *do* - On the rare instances I go into the office they sit in the same area as the developers but all I can gather is that they seem to hum and haw in meetings all day about the projects the developers are actually working on

The brief attempts I've made to research it just tend to give definition responses which boil down to saying "they analyse the business" in a roundabout way which doesn't really alleviate my admittedly very very biased assumption

(I acknowledge this as an incredibly computer goblin esque question but such is life)

Many many moons ago I worked at a mid-large finance company + bank

From my perspective, my boss met with the BA director, and about a week after, a meeting between me and the BA would be scheduled. For the first six months, and Really Important Projects, my boss would also be in the meeting. The BA would explain the problem and suggest how we do it, and then I'd explain why that wouldn't work, and we'd need more time. The BA director seemed to always add 75% more time to the project than was needed (without telling me), this worked out fine and we always hit our "real" deadlines. Things in the finance/banking world move very slowly and getting a change done in 90-120 days was considered an Absolute Rush

BAs were basically the go-between the BA director and the developers. BA directors got directives from VP and C suite and carried out their vision, BA were the day to day interface, and primary purpose in life is to report back up the chain of command if the project is running behind, and/or in jeopardy of missing deadline(s).

There are a lot of boring-rear end NPC type thousand-yard-stare people running around as BA but in reality their job is to make sure you get your job on time, and get you additional resources so Project completes on time

There's probably more to it than that, but that's what you need to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worldshatter
May 7, 2015

:kazooieass:PEPSI for TV-GAME:kazooieass:

All those answers have been very helpful, thanks folks

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

worms butthole guy posted:

Am I a rear end in a top hat?

I started a new job two months ago as a technical marketer. It's a ok job, I get to program more than my last job and I don't have to deal with WordPress anymore. Anyways, about a week ago I was in a programming workshop class and a CEO from another company was really impressed with my questions and invited me to apply. So I did. I have a interview tomorrow, and if all goes well and they give me a job offer, would I be a huge rear end for taking it? I presume it'll be a substantial increase in pay otherwise I wouldn't bother.

The current job is nice but really small and I spend most of my time not really doing anything which kinda sucks as I like to stay busy

replying back to this. Went through the interview process and have nailed everything. They said I crushed the technical exam which is a pretty big ego booster :D.

Now once they offer me something (hopefully) and I have to leave the job i'm in now, what would be the proper way to do it? I don't hate this company it just the new job will pay prob double if not more what I currently make. I would presume they'd understand that? So I should just rip the bandage off?

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

replying back to this. Went through the interview process and have nailed everything. They said I crushed the technical exam which is a pretty big ego booster :D.

Now once they offer me something (hopefully) and I have to leave the job i'm in now, what would be the proper way to do it? I don't hate this company it just the new job will pay prob double if not more what I currently make. I would presume they'd understand that? So I should just rip the bandage off?

Write a formal resignation letter (doesn't have to be long, just a few sentences), date and sign it, then meet with your boss and tell them what's up and hand over the letter.

People quit ALL THE TIME, no one rational will be upset. If they ask why then saying "yeah they're doubling my salary" is fine and will most likely get you a "wow good for you, that's awesome "

Give at least two weeks' notice, more if you're nice. Or give two weeks, tell the new place a month and take a mini vacation.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Yeah, when you’re leaving a company the default is just to say “I found something new that works better for me” and generally politely refuse to elaborate. Nobody usually asks much more beyond a busybody who wants to know if you’re being driven away by their pet peeve so they can complain about it more vocally. You put in your notice and try to ensure your work isn’t in a bad place when you leave, if only for the karma.

I’ve got a question: I’m working to transition from my current job (statistics in healthcare) to programming and I’ve been doing some work to show I’m not completely unaware. This thread seems to suggest I should have a few projects in various states of completion and some marquee, well-polished project to highlight. Does that change if I have a (to me anyway) somewhat impressive title right now? Is it more important to show I know my stuff when programming?

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Oh yeah I just wasn't sure sinc I only worked there for like 3 months if I should do something special lol.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Oh yeah I just wasn't sure sinc I only worked there for like 3 months if I should do something special lol.

In that case it matters even less

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Chakan posted:

I’ve got a question: I’m working to transition from my current job (statistics in healthcare) to programming and I’ve been doing some work to show I’m not completely unaware. This thread seems to suggest I should have a few projects in various states of completion and some marquee, well-polished project to highlight. Does that change if I have a (to me anyway) somewhat impressive title right now? Is it more important to show I know my stuff when programming?

Yes, especially if you don't have a degree or bootcamp. You want to be a programmer, how are you going to show that you know what you're doing? The stats background is great, but if I'm hiring developer you need to show me you know how to develop applications, otherwise I'd post for a statistician.

Ideally, I like to see 1 project that has some polish that shows you can actually finish something and ship it, even if the application is boring or has no real market value. Then I like to see something with some innovation or otherwise a stretch for a newbie, but that doesn't necessarily need to be complete. A ML project that is interesting but not functional is a good example.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

garashir fanfic posted:

You might be interested in this course :

https://www.edx.org/course/introduction-to-computer-science-and-programming-7

Part one is just basics of programming in python but part two covers a variety of analytical applications

https://www.edx.org/course/introduction-to-computational-thinking-and-data-4

I worked through an older version of this course last year and while I haven't really gotten into data since then it's given me a pretty solid foundation in Python. Note that it's a "foundations" type course and doesn't teach professional tools, it's more intended to get you comfortable using python for "computational thinking" as title suggests

Also I know someone who does data science and whenever SQL comes up he always recommends these two links:

https://mode.com/sql-tutorial/
https://pgexercises.com/

I haven't gotten into them yet but they look more in-depth than the tutorials I've gone through so far.

Thanks! The edx courses might be a bit slow for my liking, but I'll give a hard consideration to signing up. The mode setup is just up my alley though, already got started and it seems like a great way to get solid on SQL (and maybe Python if the one for that holds up too?)

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Schedule a meeting with your immediate boss, tell them you're giving your two weeks notice, literally "I am starting a new job, so I'm giving my two weeks notice. I've really enjoyed working with you. I'll send you a written resignation letter and send it to you so that you have a copy." And then pause and wait for questions, don't give too much detail

Resignation letter should just be "This is my resignation letter. My last day will be July 15, 2022. I have really enjoyed working with the team and my manager Joe Smith has been an excellent manager but it is time for me to move on"

The excellent manager is a way to throw a bone to your manager saying they don't suck, and is a dig at HR for paying so little. If your resignation letter is more than two sentences, it is too long. "I am quitting, this is the day. I love my team they are awesome." Don't put any more detail in there

If I know someone who can replace me I'll attach their resume in the resignation letter to get that ball rolling

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Hadlock posted:

Schedule a meeting with your immediate boss, tell them you're giving your two weeks notice, literally "I am starting a new job, so I'm giving my two weeks notice. I've really enjoyed working with you. I'll send you a written resignation letter and send it to you so that you have a copy." And then pause and wait for questions, don't give too much detail

Resignation letter should just be "This is my resignation letter. My last day will be July 15, 2022. I have really enjoyed working with the team and my manager Joe Smith has been an excellent manager but it is time for me to move on"

The excellent manager is a way to throw a bone to your manager saying they don't suck, and is a dig at HR for paying so little. If your resignation letter is more than two sentences, it is too long. "I am quitting, this is the day. I love my team they are awesome." Don't put any more detail in there

If I know someone who can replace me I'll attach their resume in the resignation letter to get that ball rolling

This is awesome, thank you Hadlock. The only issue I have is the manager is the boss who is HR :suicide: . But whatever, i can deal with the discomfort for a day and awkwardness for a significant pay raise lol.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
I finally got an interview with a company that builds software for a industry I have practical experience working in. I went through an HR screener interview, a tech interview with the lead engineer, a tech interview with a senior developer, and and interview with the CEO. The CEO told me that the lead engineer's notes for my interview was the single sentence "We want this guy."

The following week I got an email that said it was a verbal offer with a potential start date the second half of July and that early next week I would get details about comp and the actual start date.

That week was this week and I've heard nothing at all. An email to HR asking for an update has been unanswered.

Is this normal? Am I being ghosted? Just being impatient?

I'm self-taught and have no software developing job experience on my resume and it's tough to even get a bite, but this went really well and now I'm wondering if it's back to the drawing board.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It's typical for a manager to want to hire someone while HR takes forever to do the simplest poo poo. Send another email in a week if you have to, but this isn't really a sign of anything

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

Yeah seconding that thought. My only place that was quick from final interview to offer letter was a place that churned people like crazy and basically had the forms ready for their next victim.

Did you accept the verbal offer or was it too lacking in detail?

It takes time to put an actual offer package together even after approvals are all given. With a proposed start date in the second half of July, I would expect to get something from them next week if they're relatively quick or the week of July 4th if not. Could be even later due to the holiday if you are in the USA...

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
Well, that makes me feel a bit better about it.

Wandering Orange posted:

Did you accept the verbal offer or was it too lacking in detail?
The latter. I told them I was excited to work with them and was looking forward to the details of the actual offer. I sent an email this morning asking if there was anything they needed from me.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Yeah just relax. Someone might be out sick, there could be a nasty production incident, they might be waiting on the finance department to ok the package. Having been on the other side a few times now, there are times where I’ve been anxious to get an offer to a candidate and been bogged down in this and that.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
At my last job it took them about a month to send me the offer letter from telling me they were going to hire me. At my current job they sent me the offer letter the same day they gave me the verbal offer.

Just depends on how busy they are and who has to take care of all the processing.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

HR is loving awful, the reason people work in HR is that they're barely better qualified than doing government clerk work. The average HR drone does approximately 1% more work in a day than the guy processing your driver's license renewal

If it's been 7 days yeah reach out to the hiring manager or your point of contact

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
Got an email back from HR, guess what it's exactly what you guys said. Busy, have to reach out to this or that team, will let me know soon about details, etc.

Thanks for the reassurance folks.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

bigperm posted:

Got an email back from HR, guess what it's exactly what you guys said. Busy, have to reach out to this or that team, will let me know soon about details, etc.

Thanks for the reassurance folks.

One time I got stuck for 3 weeks because a VP took a vacation and HR wasn't able to contact them and they needed approval. That job was very chill.

tays revenge
Aug 29, 2009

You don't need a degree, major corporations are so desperate they hired two new juniors after a half assed two week boot camp. There, saved you thousands of dollarydoos and debt. This isn't to anyone in particular.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Agreed. I somehow stumbledy way into a Junior role that pays almost six figures and I barely graduated high school. I start next week :D

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

tays revenge posted:

You don't need a degree, major corporations are so desperate they hired two new juniors after a half assed two week boot camp. There, saved you thousands of dollarydoos and debt. This isn't to anyone in particular.
Seriously? This is making me think I should stop trying to craft the perfect newbie resume and just start applying places.

tays revenge
Aug 29, 2009

dirby posted:

Seriously? This is making me think I should stop trying to craft the perfect newbie resume and just start applying places.

The market right now is crazy, recruiters wont leave you alone if they find out you took a poo poo 10 feet away from a software company HQ.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I was in college during the dotcom boom and I heard a lot of stories of people dropping out for the big bucks, and I was at least a little bit tempted. But I stuck with it, and right around the time I graduated it sure started looking like I'd made the right choice.

I don't think the bottom will drop out all that drastically any time soon, but when the market is less hot having a degree is going to count for more.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

dirby posted:

We're having trouble hiring contractors to backfill old FTE positions so our recruiter is talking about hiring back one of the guys we fired laid off a couple months back

I stopped seeing offers below 190 for senior roles, finally, starting to see 225-280, even at non-crypto places now

If you're not a complete moron and look like you can learn on the job, and haven't had a felony conviction in the last 90 days, somebody will probably hire you

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

ultrafilter posted:

I was in college during the dotcom boom and I heard a lot of stories of people dropping out for the big bucks, and I was at least a little bit tempted. But I stuck with it, and right around the time I graduated it sure started looking like I'd made the right choice.

I don't think the bottom will drop out all that drastically any time soon, but when the market is less hot having a degree is going to count for more.

If I had to choose between a degree and having a year or two of solid experience, I'd pick the experience personally. Like, if you drop out for big bucks and the job goes away, you can always re-enroll, but with some perspective and cash banked.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Honestly the cs education might be more valuable then, because you know where this is leading to, and can ask a lot better questions and actually get value out of the money you're paying for that education

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
The only way I'd suggest a degree is if your aspirations are higher than making six figgies to write code for some company and if you don't have to go into debt to get it.

tays revenge
Aug 29, 2009

ultrafilter posted:

We aren't exactly in the same boat. There is a massive sustainability problem unless you mean possibly taking it overseas. To your point that might be the last place it would be valuable.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Degrees are neat but nobody has ever once asked me about my educational background, and professionally it's never been discussed except one time our (newly promoted) architect proudly told us about how he graduated from Mediocre State Satellite University (wasn't super impressed with him), and I think our CTO who had gone to MIT (was super impressed with her, she never talked about it)

Probably matters more for getting your foot in the door at a FAANG, especially if you're not an engineer (marketing, product, finance etc), or if you're like 22 and pitching a VC a degree from stanford is a golden ticket to $250,000 seed money from just about any VC firm if you can knock two stones together and run spell check on a powerpoint presentation. Degrees are also helpful if you want an MBA to become a VP or C level by climbing the ladder, people still look at that and value it, number of MBAs at a company is a metric used to pitch VCs (I worked at a company with 0 MBAs, it was a disaster)

Somewhere between half and two thirds of the engineers I work with either flunked out or have no formal higher education

Worldshatter
May 7, 2015

I feel like being self taught in the UK made it a substantially harder market to get those first responses than it feels like gets portrayed in a market like the US. I have an arts undergraduate so idk maybe that was even viewed as a bit of a strike against me but it definitely took a *lot* of searching to start landing even low paying interviews.

I imagine a lot of this can be attributed to the UK market being kind of trash pay wise but the general feedback I get from a lot of people is that doing a masters at some point would be very helpful for my career, even if it's just from a "legitimising" standpoint

On the plus side I am according to the hiring guy I was talking to on Friday allegedly going to be receiving an offer for a position I was interviewing for at some point today so let's hope that materialises and is good

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah I did notice a big cultural difference moving from the west coast to the east coast; west coast it was just "are you the most talented person we can hire for this position? do you have tangentally relevant experience? great you're hired", whereas the east coast anyone over 25 seems to have fought and stabbed a bunch of people in the back to get where they're at, barely holding on with their fingernails to where they're at, and anybody coming in is a huge threat to them so there's a ton of gate-keeping going on. I would imagine in the old world that kind of mentality is even stronger over there.

I can't imagine doing software development in the UK, the pay there sounds abysmal, I'd rather go into welding it pays about the same, and you can drink on the job

Worldshatter
May 7, 2015

Hadlock posted:

I can't imagine doing software development in the UK, the pay there sounds abysmal, I'd rather go into welding it pays about the same, and you can drink on the job

Yeah my goal is to move back to Ireland as soon as I can, which would be another perk of this potential offer coming today.

Though the main problem with Ireland is most of the big money positions seem to be in Dublin. If I could tolerate living in Dublin that would be great but I don't think I can because anyone I know doing software jobs there hates the place and with good justification

Though I should also to some extent just be happy this is one of the few technical industries where I was just able to turn a year long self learning anime training montage into a real job

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

If I had to choose between a degree and having a year or two of solid experience, I'd pick the experience personally. Like, if you drop out for big bucks and the job goes away, you can always re-enroll, but with some perspective and cash banked.

This. As a person who got a computer science degree later in life, the only things I learned that matter were:
  • Inheritance (which I learned without ever hearing about SOLID)
  • data structures (even 99.9% of the time you will only ever uses Lists)
  • learning about Waterfall and Agile software development life cycles (which we talked about endlessly, even though every SLDC everywhere is bullshit and no one loving cares)
  • the very very basic level of "put code to do thing" programming that an 11 year old could do and I got in a 100-level class that was mostly literally doing Khan Academy exercises.
So much wasted time doing math and grammar and requirements and all that were intellectually stimulating to do, but a massive waste of time because they just don't loving matter for your average job. If they do matter, someone will tell you it matters and the information is already out there, especially now. 7 years ago, it was harder to find stuff on YouTube, but not so much today.

I learned so much more while at my first job than I did at college, except I got paid to learn there instead of paying to learn how to integrate functions. Hey, show of hands: when was the last time any of you needed actual calculus? Never? That's what I thought.

If you can get away without spending the money, it is worth considering. But be warned that I have also interviewed multiple people who came out of boot camps, were mature and considerate workers but couldn't loving code. At least, not in an interview setting.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Magnetic North posted:

This. As a person who got a computer science degree later in life, the only things I learned that matter were:
  • Inheritance (which I learned without ever hearing about SOLID)
  • data structures (even 99.9% of the time you will only ever uses Lists)
  • learning about Waterfall and Agile software development life cycles (which we talked about endlessly, even though every SLDC everywhere is bullshit and no one loving cares)
  • the very very basic level of "put code to do thing" programming that an 11 year old could do and I got in a 100-level class that was mostly literally doing Khan Academy exercises.
So much wasted time doing math and grammar and requirements and all that were intellectually stimulating to do, but a massive waste of time because they just don't loving matter for your average job. If they do matter, someone will tell you it matters and the information is already out there, especially now. 7 years ago, it was harder to find stuff on YouTube, but not so much today.

I learned so much more while at my first job than I did at college, except I got paid to learn there instead of paying to learn how to integrate functions. Hey, show of hands: when was the last time any of you needed actual calculus? Never? That's what I thought.

If you can get away without spending the money, it is worth considering. But be warned that I have also interviewed multiple people who came out of boot camps, were mature and considerate workers but couldn't loving code. At least, not in an interview setting.

I use calculus all the time. As recently as last week. Find a more interesting job.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

leper khan posted:

I use calculus all the time. As recently as last week. Find a more interesting job.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Then you're suggesting these people go and spend additional thousands of dollars to get Comp Sci degrees then instead of code camps, etc?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Magnetic North posted:

Then you're suggesting these people go and spend additional thousands of dollars to get Comp Sci degrees then instead of code camps, etc?

I do not regret my degree. I can not tell someone they won't regret theirs.

I will say, in game development, there is often a clearly visible difference in knowledge between people who got a CS degree and people who went to a game dev program -- the game school people have really weird but explicable knowledge gaps. You could, and some (not enough) people do, resolve those gaps by self learning and reading text books and documentation. That's definitely cheaper than a CS degree.

The value of a liberal arts education is intangible. If someone is coming into things later in life, it's very expensive in both time and money. If you're just out of high school and still trying to figure out your interests, I can't think of a better experience if you can afford it (through cash, scholarships, or grants). If you aren't coming from a privileged background, it's important to be mindful of future earnings related to the degree. An average programmer has a significantly easier time resolving debt than many others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
A nontrivial portion of my "teaching junior coworkers things" time is spent on things which I learned in my CS program. Even as someone who had be programming for years before college, I learned a lot of things which have been very relevant to my day-to-day work. OTOH, some of my coworkers have clearly been able to get good paying jobs without that knowledge, and some of them have been able to pick it up while getting paid rather than paying for it.

Personally I think the most valuable thing I got out of college was just that my university had an amazing job-placement program as part of its co-op program. I was very much a disfunctional fuckup at that point in life (well, I still am, but moreso then) and the fact that they basically did all of the work involved in getting internships for me was incredibly beneficial for getting my career started. Most schools don't really do that and it's obviously way less valuable if you're not just out of high school at the time.