Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
That fukkin face...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

The face thing has to be on purpose to avoid being sued over accidental deep fakes etc. Possibly also to avoid hurting random people, but I'm not confident on computer people making choices because they're moral in 2022

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/pabl0hidalgo/status/1536542654799876101

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Is the frog guy meant to be a clone trooper?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Is the frog guy meant to be a clone trooper?

I think the prequels decided that they'd never make any clone trooper armor, so it all has to be CGI'd in.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
lol that it's just a forklift

look at billy dee's power pose there in that first shot, though :allears:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I want to erase hobbling RotS Billy Dee from my mind and just remember that sex legend right there

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Wlh0e3XMeQ

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Timely!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DU3HsNt8E1c

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/pabl0hidalgo/status/1537250805211750401

https://twitter.com/pabl0hidalgo/status/1537257396468191232

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

The lasting damage done to the franchise by letting West End Games write lore continue to be felt today.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Huh, I didn't know that Plo Koon's Order 66 scene was supposed to be the Battle of Cato Nemoidia.

I think about that every so often, since even though it doesn't show up in much work, there was some EU book that mentioned that the battle ended up becoming genocidal, since Nemoidians centralize child rearing in big "grub hatcheries" instead of being raised in distributed family units, so a couple stray bombs can wipe out most of the next generation. I don't think there's been any post-prequel appearances of Nemoidians either, although it's doubtful that they'd be actually extinct.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

SlothfulCobra posted:

Huh, I didn't know that Plo Koon's Order 66 scene was supposed to be the Battle of Cato Nemoidia.

I think about that every so often, since even though it doesn't show up in much work, there was some EU book that mentioned that the battle ended up becoming genocidal, since Nemoidians centralize child rearing in big "grub hatcheries" instead of being raised in distributed family units, so a couple stray bombs can wipe out most of the next generation. I don't think there's been any post-prequel appearances of Nemoidians either, although it's doubtful that they'd be actually extinct.

Wasn't it Labyrinth of Evil, or whatever the direct prequel to Episode III was? I remember the beginning being pretty much an origin story for Obi-Wan's "business on Cato Nemoidia" remark from the beginning of AotC when they're riding up on the elevator to see Padme.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Madurai posted:

The lasting damage done to the franchise by letting West End Games write lore continue to be felt today.

I loving love my WEG second edition, I spent so many hours of my youth looking at those pictures and imagining all the adventures I could go on if only I had friends.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Madurai posted:

The biggest one for me is WEG inventing the "Light Side" of the Force. Even in his behind the scenes notes and discussions, Lucas' version of the Force had a good side that was the objectively morally correct aspect of the Force, and a Dark Side that was a corruption which eventually took complete control of a person's soul in the name of evil.

West End came up with the "Light Side", and compared the duality of the Force to the natural life and death cycles of nature, which kind of stripped it of the inherent morality Lucas was including in his version of the universe. Since the West End stuff went on to become so influential in the EU, it eventually led to poo poo like "Balance equals 2 Jedi and 2 Sith", or Kyle Katarn electrocuting hundreds of Stormtroopers to death and coming out clean on the other side. In another world we might have even gotten Colin Trevorrow's version of Episode 9 where Yoda's Force ghost talks to Rey and tells her that actually he was wrong, and the Dark Side's not all that bad in moderation.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Robot Style posted:

The biggest one for me is WEG inventing the "Light Side" of the Force. Even in his behind the scenes notes and discussions, Lucas' version of the Force had a good side that was the objectively morally correct aspect of the Force, and a Dark Side that was a corruption which eventually took complete control of a person's soul in the name of evil.

West End came up with the "Light Side", and compared the duality of the Force to the natural life and death cycles of nature, which kind of stripped it of the inherent morality Lucas was including in his version of the universe. Since the West End stuff went on to become so influential in the EU, it eventually led to poo poo like "Balance equals 2 Jedi and 2 Sith", or Kyle Katarn electrocuting hundreds of Stormtroopers to death and coming out clean on the other side. In another world we might have even gotten Colin Trevorrow's version of Episode 9 where Yoda's Force ghost talks to Rey and tells her that actually he was wrong, and the Dark Side's not all that bad in moderation.

This version of the balance of the force always pissed me off because the movies are pretty explicit about light side good dark side bad. Luke even calls it the good side outright in RotJ. Shades of grey can be interesting but that isn't the type of story that star wars is

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I swear grey jedi became a thing because light side powers besides heal are all lame as poo poo.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Yeah, there are some settings that can work with that sort of yin and yang or discovering that something you thought was bad is actually just a fundamental element of the universe that can coexist with the rest (like maybe Jade Empire with Open Hand/Closed Fist), but with Star Wars, where the Dark Side is just always bad and literally fueled by suffering, it's ridiculous. There's no philosophy where people need to make sure to be an rear end in a top hat to even out all the good works they're otherwise doing.

The idea that the sides of the force are always seeking balance probably more is giving the game away about the franchise needing more sources for trouble in order to continue onward, which you shouldn't put into the actual fiction because the idea that all good things will be steadily crushed by entropy is really depressing.

Also;

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I swear grey jedi became a thing because light side powers besides heal are all lame as poo poo.

You don't need to shoot magic lightning, everyone already has lasers 'n' poo poo.

Although if you really want, you could make some kind of deal out of them having to balance using their deeper spiritual understanding of the universe to hurt people with not going too far or relishing it.

Sticking strictly to a defined powerset is lame anyways.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/uMY8lwV.mp4

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

3 edgy 5 U

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I like the bit where the player jammed the lightsabers into a wall and force pulled people into them. That was some creative mayhem.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

I would play this game

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Blade and Sorcery really is the best Star Wars VR game :allears:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Why is there blood? Learn some Star Lore hacks

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Also lightsabers turn off when not being held.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe
im the part where our protagonist slices the end off another lasersword with his own

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe
and some severed sword laser sort of flies off and becomes the worlds spiciest tripping hazard

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Bogus Adventure posted:

I would play this game

Blade & Sorcery remains the entire reason to have a VR headset.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Blade & Sorcery remains the entire reason to have a VR headset.

I'm sold

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Okay, this owns and I bet it's also delicious

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

alternatively,

Doloen
Dec 18, 2004

Cross-Section posted:

alternatively,

Hell yeah get 'em Gonk

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Cross-Section posted:

alternatively,

Doloen posted:

Hell yeah get 'em Gonk

Gonk yeah.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Cross-Section posted:

alternatively,