Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Good episode with lots of shake ups. Going to be interesting to see how it goes. We've got Helios with a big luxury gay space communism ship. We've got NASA with what appears to just be an expanded shuttle. And then the USSR launching a giant loving rocket directly from Earth's surface for some reason. What the gently caress was that?

Also, I really, really hope we aren't in for any more instances of KGB threatening Sergei's safety and demanding more info from Margo. She did the big dirty and gave them the nuke engine thing, I'd rather not see any more of the plot line. Though, it would be hilarious if the soviets stuck Sergei on the Mars mission and they constantly call Margo saying "Oh no, our rocket ship is big kapustky, you need to tell us how to fix it or our mission will fail and Sergei will crash in to Mars." To the point that she stops giving a poo poo and is just handing Russian design documents to engineers and telling them to fix it.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Not to my knowledge (See has some nudity) though it could be a combination of things e.g. the actors not wanting to be nude, etc.

They hired a brand new person to be the girl Danny tries to cheat with (unless I'm just face blind and she's been a major character for the entirety of the show), they could have hired someone willing to do what the scene said they were doing. I don't want to be a weirdo just in it to see boobs or whatever, but if they aren't going to be nude, don't have a line that specifically says they are, it's just weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

Cojawfee posted:

Good episode with lots of shake ups. Going to be interesting to see how it goes. We've got Helios with a big luxury gay space communism ship. We've got NASA with what appears to just be an expanded shuttle. And then the USSR launching a giant loving rocket directly from Earth's surface for some reason. What the gently caress was that?

Also, I really, really hope we aren't in for any more instances of KGB threatening Sergei's safety and demanding more info from Margo. She did the big dirty and gave them the nuke engine thing, I'd rather not see any more of the plot line. Though, it would be hilarious if the soviets stuck Sergei on the Mars mission and they constantly call Margo saying "Oh no, our rocket ship is big kapustky, you need to tell us how to fix it or our mission will fail and Sergei will crash in to Mars." To the point that she stops giving a poo poo and is just handing Russian design documents to engineers and telling them to fix it.

They hired a brand new person to be the girl Danny tries to cheat with (unless I'm just face blind and she's been a major character for the entirety of the show), they could have hired someone willing to do what the scene said they were doing. I don't want to be a weirdo just in it to see boobs or whatever, but if they aren't going to be nude, don't have a line that specifically says they are, it's just weird.

I don't think we've seen that girl like ever. I guess I will be a weirdo bc I wanted to see her nude :woop:

What do y'all think Danny was going to tell his wife? Admit to everything? Tell her about Karen and the fact that he still has a dumbass teenager fantasy about being with her? I'm getting tired of his poo poo.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
I liked this episode a lot more than the last, great that we've now got all the pieces in place for everyone to start making their space mistakes.

Shame they didn't any more characters along the way. NASA's boat doesn't have a ton of extra space but Helios' craft could have a whole school bus of eager redshirts to expand the cast.

Curious how close we'll get to the people on the Soviet ship. The show has portrayed them mostly as enemies but at some point there will be enough fuckups in Mars orbit that people will have to make friends.

I was a little surprised by the time jump but glad to not spend any more time in the Spaceship Draft.

Did the show say how long the trip to Mars is expected to take? It could take 9 months with 2022 technology, I dunno if these nuclear helium space rockets are supposed to be any better. Will a whole episode just be watching everyone develop space madness?

Curious to see the fate of NASA's slingshotted hab modules. Can't imagine that goes perfectly!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The helios ship does make me wonder if they will need to use all that extra space. Maybe the NASA ship has an emergency, and they need to get their crew to the Helios ship or people will die. Or maybe the Soviet ship has problems, since they couldn't figure out the nuclear engine thing, there's probably other poo poo they couldn't do in time. Then the KGB is knocking on Margo's door again, save our people, or we expose you and/or Sergei dies. And if that's the case, would there be a fight for who is in command? The thought of all three teams living on the Helios ship, but then that uses up all the resources, so they have to land at NASA's landing site because there will be supplies there. All kinds of crazy poo poo could happen.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

I was half-expecting the Russian ship to explode on liftoff.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
WHY is this Danny poo poo so loving awful

Thankfully the rest of the show is fantastic as that storyline is terrible! Love dis show

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Wee Bairns posted:

I was half-expecting the Russian ship to explode on liftoff.

:same:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

WHY is this Danny poo poo so loving awful

You've got to find the funny man, this poo poo is hilarious. It's one of the most consistently entertaining parts of the show.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

Holy poo poo this is painful to watch!

:wtf:

SO WEIRD

You'll know when it happens

Margo... :stare:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Open Source Idiom posted:

You've got to find the funny man, this poo poo is hilarious. It's one of the most consistently entertaining parts of the show.

You’re not wrong! But when the entire rest of the show is approaching all-timer level it’s quite frustrating to see one storyline poo poo the bed so hard.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I'm surprised that they just skipped over the Ed and Danielle conflict, given that he made some pretty racists comments.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Did they skip it? I'd assume that the two haven't spoken in the intervening years now, and it'll come up on Mars once everyone gets into trouble and they all have to work together.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
They spoke to each other when Ed poached the guy who hosed his ex wife.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Yeah that was soon after Ed’s racism and the conversation was pretty contentious. It would make sense if they didn’t speak again in the two years after that.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
the first couple seconds of Danny and Dani in the simulator I was able to imagine a world where he was just a generic military dude unburdened by the weight of all his childhood and post-childhood baggage and it was kinda nice

but instead he is on the road for his space alcoholism to get him into space arguments that beget space mistakes

show I am begging you, please introduce even one new 1990s character (I guess besides our new corporate grifter and the Soviet boyfriend choking brigade)

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

I never know if we're doing spoilers or not. I will just in case.

Good episode, we needed to advance the Margo plot to the point where there's reason for her to get exposed. I thought it would happen more organically but KGB doing KGB stuff makes sense as well.

Danny continues to be the worst. I am so glad they advanced the plot to the point we didn't see any more face to face interactions with Karen. When she came into the bar I audibly groaned.

So now we're on the way to Mars. The Soviets seem... unlikely to make it. They always seem one step behind (except for that one big time they were ahead). Helios and Nasa are going to get stuck together sooner rather than later. It looks like Kelly is joining Danny as the Next Generation of the cast. I don't think Ed survives the trip.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sivart13 posted:

show I am begging you, please introduce even one new 1990s character (I guess besides our new corporate grifter and the Soviet boyfriend choking brigade)

Danny’s wife is new although god knows if she’ll be getting any screen time now

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I've actually been kinda down on the first episodes of season 3, but I expect that now everyone is in space it will become much more appealing to me. I feel like the show has leaned in so much to the things I don't like about it while everyone is on the ground. I want to watch space travel and crisis solving! The first season is still the best.

Also, maybe I am just an idiot, but did anyone else get really confused during the opening montage? I forgot what year we were in during the week between episodes, so I was watching the years scroll by and being like WTF why are we skipping so many years suddenly? What about Ellen's run for president and didn't they all plan to go to Mars in just a couple years? Then I realized that this was just going back and showing us how Margo got to where she was in episode 1.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

KGB guy has the smoothest fuckin ears I've ever seen.

Sivart13 posted:

Did the show say how long the trip to Mars is expected to take?

No, but a real NERVA engine could realistically do the trip in a bit under three months. They aren't using fusion rockets.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jun 24, 2022

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I'm to the point where i'm fast forwarding through the Danny scenes and I never do poo poo like that.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

KGB guy would be the perfect person to play Evrart Claire from Disco Elysium

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

I feel like I should go back and figure out what all the poo poo on Ellen's desk in the Oval Office was. Space shuttle, oil well, glass Capitol building full of jelly beans...

Also I spend so much time waiting for the Helios heel turn that it's kinda distracting.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
These are the ones AV Club found:

quote:

Items on President Wilson’s Oval Office desk include a crystal jar in the shape of the Capitol dome filled with jellybeans (a nod to Reagan); a golden space shuttle figurine; a crystal Earth globe; model of an oil-rig; a bald eagle figurine; and a model of an old Apollo rocket on the table behind her.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Awesome, thanks!

A little behind-the-scenes about the Newtons everyone is using in the show:
https://twitter.com/bengmcg/status/1540080375153602560

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That's fkkn rad

I was trying to catch a glimp of the Newton namebadge to see if it was a "normal" model name or a new one they made up but I couldn't ever make it out.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

As you can see, we're getting this place back in tip-top shape and making some crucial upgrades. Oh, hey here's the elevator your husband died in, Karen. Took forever to get zero-G blood splatter cleaned up. Anywho let's move along to the bridge.

E: Based on math wouldn't everyone know who was going to win the race assuming their ships didn't break?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Let's take this ship that at least 3 people have died on to Mars. WOO HOO!

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

As you can see, we're getting this place back in tip-top shape and making some crucial upgrades. Oh, hey here's the elevator your husband died in, Karen. Took forever to get zero-G blood splatter cleaned up. Anywho let's move along to the bridge.

E: Based on math wouldn't everyone know who was going to win the race assuming their ships didn't break?

I'm assuming the thrust of all three vehicles is to some extent unknown. Plus none of these vehicles looks to be worth a drat for defense against some sort of solar activity, so that's gonna be fun.

Also yet another Wayne-less episode.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

They havent said anything but I assume Wayne probably left sally after she got herself irradiated. He’s an anxious dude at a certain point he probably just bowed out.

I also expect we will see a lot less of her character going forward this season now that the crews are on their way, unless a new subplot for her crops up.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Just noticed the watch Peanut is wearing here is a Casio VDB-200 I happen to own as well. :woop:

In our timeline it was released in 1996.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Really enjoying S3, so glad they have the confidence to do time skips to keep momentum going. I like the occasion mention of how NASA has become profitable enough that it is a net gain for the US.

there is no way Danny lives through this mission. Also do we really know if Margo did give them the nuclear engine? Sergei could have been lying about how far behind they were. Another possibility is the engine is only one of their problems and other issues will prevent them from making it. Or Margo did sabotage the engine design and when the try to boost to pass Helios they will explode.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I love the design of that Soviet ship too. They got it just right.

The NASA one is fuckin crazy, I would not want to go to Mars in that kei car lookin poo poo. And those NERVAs are waaaaaaay too close to the crew cabin for my tastes. I'll ride the Helios ship.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Just thought of something the Helios CEO may have stowed away and wants to be the first person on Mars. The ship is easily big enough and his mention of sending a poet could indicate he’s already ok with the idea of non-essential crew.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Sivart13 posted:

show I am begging you, please introduce even one new 1990s character

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Jet Jaguar posted:

I'm assuming the thrust of all three vehicles is to some extent unknown. Plus none of these vehicles looks to be worth a drat for defense against some sort of solar activity, so that's gonna be fun.

Also yet another Wayne-less episode.

That's true, and no doubt the speeds would be classified, but it just seems like even CNN would have a pretty good guess. IDK, nitpicking.

Can't wait until Danny executes Ed on live stream while professing his love for Karen.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Gonna lol when the three ships arrive simultaneously in the exact same spot and try to barge each other out of the way to get planetside first, only to find that China has already secretly landed there and built a base.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Had to lol that they made an actual plot point out of sending a poet

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Drunk in Space posted:

Gonna lol when the three ships arrive simultaneously in the exact same spot and try to barge each other out of the way to get planetside first, only to find that China has already secretly landed there and built a base.

I’m guessing either the Helios or NASA mission has a problem at the finish line, leading to the Soviets winning while NASA/Helios helps the other ship. This combined with Ellen’s impeachment and Margo being exposed will lead to a bad decade for US space travel.

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

I love that the space race is now an actual race. Step on the gas, we need to get there faster!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Unfortunately, you can't step on the gas, or you won't get there at all.