Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Tekopo posted:

I mean if you let the other person MT, you basically become a blue DPS that takes less damage from loving up in 90% of normal content. The only exceptions are alliance raids that split alliances for mechanisms or the very rare trial/raid where you actually need to tank swap (and even then, you usually don't).
And you'll never have to tank swap in normal content, even if that's what the mechanic is implying wants you to do. And in extreme/savage content you'll probably invuln through it if at all possible just to simplify.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Bell_ posted:

I'm just catching up with the thread, but this is amazing, wonderful, and inspiring. Thank you for sharing.

My little song of hope. I love her.

Even if she just went into The Itching Phase and oh lord I'm not having a good time

I'm waiting for the artist to upload the pictures she took to spam the thread again, mine doesn't do her justice. :v:

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Inzombiac posted:

After you max one class, is it faster to level other ones?

Like, do you have to start back at the lowbie zones or do you retain some level of power?

There's the XP buff you get from being lower level than your max level job, but also once you have access to the high level areas you can easily have someone powerlevel you from 1-30 in less than an hour.

After that it drops off a lot but it's a good way to avoid the boring levels where you have no abilities.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

EW Tribe quest finale: You win no matter what you choose, yeah? Or is there an alternate version where the riders lose, but the jackass has second thoughts and effectively has the same resolution?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

They let me skip the cutscene so I doubt there's a resolution where you don't win

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

You can replay the cutscene to choose the other options.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Now that I've got the Arkasodara to Rank 7, I'm looking around the tribe area for changes. Really appreciate the one Hippo Rider trying to convince a Gajasura to put on pants.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I enjoy tanking but only really in 4-man content. Because more than that is when it becomes more than "remember to put stance on, do basic rotation, hit a mitigation cooldown when a tankbuster is coming and move out of AOEs".

There's definitely 4 man content where melee dps will bitch and moan about moving the boss if you don't stand in some of the patterns for them.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

sassassin posted:

There's definitely 4 man content where melee dps will bitch and moan about moving the boss if you don't stand in some of the patterns for them.

I have literally never seen this happen. But I have definitely thought it on occasion.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/FF_XIV_EN/status/1539563883194593281

Missed that they also posted In the Balance lyrics

I’m glad that the song slaps so hard I can ignore the lyrics that sound weird as gently caress

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

What the lyrics fuckin slap; it's basically the Uldah national anthem.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I understand the meaning but I just think some of them sound like something an actual human would never say (or sing), it happens in a lot of the songs in this game

Or they just pack too many syllables into one line

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I don't see anything particularly weird in those lyrics.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

are you telling me “sing til breath expires” sounds normal to you

Badger of Basra fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jun 24, 2022

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Badger of Basra posted:

are you telling me “sing til breath expires” sounds like a normal to you

Sound like something to say in normal speech? No. Sound like something to say in an anthem or prayer? Absolutely.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Songs and poetry often use stylized language that you wouldn't say in casual speech.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Badger of Basra posted:

Not really, but it's not really weird either.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Badger of Basra posted:

you tellin me those dudes weren't making GBS threads their pants from all the explosions cause a flag was lit up by them???

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Completed my first dungeon! It was pretty okay. I hope NPC team members stay decently effective.

Also, the Aesthetician cutscene was gold.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Jandelaine is exactly as fabulous as he should be

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Jandelaine came directly to Eorzea from the JoJo universe and nobody can convince me otherwise.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Badger of Basra posted:

In a celebratory hymn? Yeah.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
A goofy bit of history - Starlight and Sellswords, which is used as Jandelaine's theme, was originally used as the Faction Levequest battle music in Coerthas for 1.0.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

Completed my first dungeon! It was pretty okay. I hope NPC team members stay decently effective.

Also, the Aesthetician cutscene was gold.

Yeah, NPC parties are designed to be… Competent.

The tradeoff for the instant dungeon queue is that they probably take longer than a party of actual players who know what they’re doing. And they annoyingly instantly wipe if you ever die, while a group of players can still keep going on.

Plus there are eventually going to be some points where you have to group up with other players to advance the main story.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Badger of Basra posted:

I understand the meaning but I just think some of them sound like something an actual human would never say (or sing), it happens in a lot of the songs in this game

Or they just pack too many syllables into one line

The only egregious part is repeating "we pray" too many times. Song lyrics are parts of songs, which are not conversational speech. And can even be more nonsensical than poetry, which can get really wacky when the poet starts getting creative.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

Regalingualius posted:

Yeah, NPC parties are designed to be… Competent.

The tradeoff for the instant dungeon queue is that they probably take longer than a party of actual players who know what they’re doing. And they annoyingly instantly wipe if you ever die, while a group of players can still keep going on.

Plus there are eventually going to be some points where you have to group up with other players to advance the main story.

No matter how good or bad you are at the game the NPC parties are designed to get you through any dungeon in around 30 minutes

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Yep. You can AFK through the fights and it'll take 30 minutes, or you can go hard on everything and it'll still take 30 minutes.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
You can personally affect how swiftly a duty support/trust run goes, including the party composition (for instance, one healer option regularly posts higher DPS than others in the role), but it's not like the difference between a speedrunning dungeon team and a bunch of first-time video game players, it's more shaving some minutes off from being very low effort and letting the AI pick up the slack. Adds up over time but in the moment you won't be blazing through the runs even if you pull to the walls.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Khizan posted:

Yep. You can AFK through the fights and it'll take 30 minutes, or you can go hard on everything and it'll still take 30 minutes.

I'd recommend trying it yourself! I can get through them a lot faster, in the low 20s of minutes on a good day. Generally those times came from playing WAR and multipulling.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Also finally got around to soloing Binding Coils in one go last night, and… Oof, ARR’s Alisaie was jarring.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
Ok, I hope you can help me with this. I'm trying to find the correct upgrade/version to buy and I want to prevent spending money for the wrong thing.
Situation is this: Once upon a time I got gifted the Heavensward basic version and one month of playtime. I know I can just get Endwalker to get everything up to the current content.
But if I wanted to get the Collectors Edition including all bonus stuff from the various versions, what would be the product to go for? Just Endwalker CE? Or would I have to go for the full Collectors Edition from the SE store for 100€ for this?
Does anyone have an idea?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

You can buy the CE upgrades on their own, which does not include pre-order items of course.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
They have also, in the past, put the digital collector's edition upgrades on sale, and in bundles.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Zomborgon posted:

I'd recommend trying it yourself! I can get through them a lot faster, in the low 20s of minutes on a good day. Generally those times came from playing WAR and multipulling.

You also don't have to be a tank, though it is the easiest. I've done multipulls on all the roles and it's fine, with the biggest problem being sometimes your healer dodges out of an aoe into another and gets flattened. Or you're doing some long pull and running ahead and the tank will leave to come help you but the dps and healer will stay back single targetting some monster and that's the worst. But yeah, fastest trust run I did was a 22 minute don mheg so I really wish people would stop spouting the 30 minutes no matter what line.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Badger of Basra posted:

i don’t think a natural, conversational tone was the goal when writing song lyrics about a pair of magical gods that share a body and flip their torso around to change which head is on top

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
I'm currently playing FFXIV on a free trial. I saw that it was on sale on Steam and I have some questions.

-If I buy it on Steam, I can still log in and play on my PS5, right? And my PC? I'd like to play it on both if I could

-I heard that if you get it on steam, your account is linked to steam permanently. Is that a bad thing?

-I've looked at these stupid pricing plans until my eyes are about to fall out of my head and near as I can tell, the cheapest way to get FFXIV is not the bundle but instead to buy the Starter Edition and then Endwalker, is that right?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Bean posted:

I'm currently playing FFXIV on a free trial. I saw that it was on sale on Steam and I have some questions.

-If I buy it on Steam, I can still log in and play on my PS5, right? And my PC? I'd like to play it on both if I could

-I heard that if you get it on steam, your account is linked to steam permanently. Is that a bad thing?

-I've looked at these stupid pricing plans until my eyes are about to fall out of my head and near as I can tell, the cheapest way to get FFXIV is not the bundle but instead to buy the Starter Edition and then Endwalker, is that right?

1. Each platform you want to play it on requires a license. That is, you pay 1 sub and can play your characters interchangeably on any platform you own, but have to buy the game on each platform.

2. Buying on Steam means you have to buy expansions on Steam. I don't think this is a bad thing in of itself but you might miss out on sales elsewhere.

3.I don't know about this one. I've been playing since HW. :shrug:

derra
Dec 29, 2012
You'd need to buy it on PS as well to continue playing on it, but if you've bought both licenses you can switch back and forth.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Bean posted:

The platform licenses has been addressed, but a few more things of note:

-Other than not being able to take advantage of any sales but Steam's for future expansions, the only additional caveat of getting it on Steam is that when Steam has instability (such as maintenance or launching a big sale) it may affect your ability to log in to Final Fantasy, because you can't do a stand-alone launcher. There's some recent posts of people having trouble in this thread.

-Yeah, right now, if you're getting it on Steam you'd want to buy the base game and then Endwalker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
So if I have a playstation and a steam license and the steam store shits the bed, I can still log in on my ps5 right?