Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Boba Pearl posted:

Assuming super human strength, could I throw a spear so hard it carries me across a football field or like, how does that work physics wise? I guess if I had the arm strength to launch something, it'd take less energy to like handspring myself?

It was done in Dragonball by Ta Pai Pai, but he more threw the object then jumped onto it to carry him places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
So the earth wouldn't halt my backwards momentum, and then the forward momentum of the spear pull me the rest of the way? drat.

Let's say I could throw a trebuchet right? Would the trebuchet have to be touching the ground before it launched me?

Zil posted:

It was done in Dragonball by Ta Pai Pai, but he more threw the object then jumped onto it to carry him places.

Yeah basically this, I have a cool idea in my comic, but I know it prooobably wouldn't work / make sense, so I'm trying to figure out what's close.

e: Like when spiderman flings himself forward, is that the elasticity of the webs doing it, or is he somehow yanking himself that ahrd?

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jun 23, 2022

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Boba Pearl posted:

So the earth wouldn't halt my backwards momentum, and then the forward momentum of the spear pull me the rest of the way? drat.

Let's say I could throw a trebuchet right? Would the trebuchet have to be touching the ground before it launched me?

Yeah basically this, I have a cool idea in my comic, but I know it prooobably wouldn't work / make sense, so I'm trying to figure out what's close.

If the trebuchet is suspended by a whole lot of helium balloons and just hovering? The same amount of force it propels you with would be applied in an opposite vector. But as the trebuchet is likely much heavier than you, it would be moved much less.

E: oh, I misread. But the same thing applies. If you were Hulk-strong and could throw a trebuchet a mile up and climb into the throwing arm bit, it would still be accelerated in a precisely opposite vector to the angle it throws you.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jun 23, 2022

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Now you hurl something with a rope attached to it and then jump right before the rope goes taut - now we're talkin. The something hurled with have to have a lot of mass to drag you easily. I'm not sure you could get a heavy enough spear that you could also throw that would do the trick. I'm sure one could math out the forces needed.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Boba Pearl posted:

Nobody else who does comics gives a gently caress about physics so why should you?

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

Boba Pearl posted:

Assuming super human strength, could I throw a spear so hard it carries me across a football field or like, how does that work physics wise? I guess if I had the arm strength to launch something, it'd take less energy to like handspring myself?

You can, but there are some serious side effects:

you'll be very Thor afterwards

Three other newtonian-physics compliant ways to have the spear and you travel in the same direction are to:
a. Have a tether from spear to you and throw the spear bloody fast (if the spear weighs 1/9th your body weight you'd have to throw it 10x faster than you want to travel - conservation of momentum, m_spear*v_spear + m_you*v_you is constant after you throw it)
b. Throw the spear and jump/handspring after it (but you either have to throw the spear much slower than you can otherwise (e.g. you can hypothetically give the spear 9x the velocity than you can give yourself) or deal with it arriving sooner than you will
c. Jump/handspring and then throw the spear (you can easily get the spear to arrive very shortly before you by throwing it gently - the harder and sooner you throw the later you get there - you can do some tricks with jumping so that you'd overshoot if you held onto the spear then cast it forward to appropriately decrease your horizontal velocity).

A football field is close enough to 110m long, so ... lessee ... you'd have to jump with an upward velocity of 2*9.8m/s and a horizonal velocity of 55m/s (125mph) to make the jump in a vacuum in 2 seconds, unless I've messed something up (height is v_up + 0.5*-9.8*t*t, so after 2 seconds you're back at 0)

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

ultrafilter posted:

Nobody else who does comics gives a gently caress about physics so why should you?

I don't know, it bugs me.

Is there any other kind of way to launch yourself with a second launch-y thing?

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

Boba Pearl posted:

I don't know, it bugs me.

Is there any other kind of way to launch yourself with a second launch-y thing?

Two spears, charge, use one as a pole to vault? You could probably get some nice visuals because it'd be a sort of cartwheel in the direction of motion that could finish with a half-twist head-first death from above - recipient has time to go from "ha-ha" to "o-poo poo".

You could, theoretically, also rebound from behind you and catch it on the way past but there'd need to be some kind of narativium to make that make sense (although if you have enemy behind and ahead that'd make for a cool moment - "you can't catch both of us! - - ha-ha - o poo poo"

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

thepopmonster posted:

You can, but there are some serious side effects:

you'll be very Thor afterwards

Three other newtonian-physics compliant ways to have the spear and you travel in the same direction are to:
a. Have a tether from spear to you and throw the spear bloody fast (if the spear weighs 1/9th your body weight you'd have to throw it 10x faster than you want to travel - conservation of momentum, m_spear*v_spear + m_you*v_you

You don’t need a extra tether - just not letting go is a tether! For instance, if you start throwing a shot put and don’t let go you’re definitely falling on your face if you’re not braced for it.

That said, it would probably look extremely weird to scale up to actual propulsion. It might be better to just jump or stick rockets on the spear?

gay frog chemicals
May 27, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think the most efficient thing to do if you have super strong arms but not legs is just to do a handstand and throw your body from the ground toward your destination. Like an upside down jump.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

There’s a trend in the US (and maybe elsewhere idk) to pass laws popularly known as “[x]’s Law,” usually named after a kid who was in some tragedy and the law will supposedly make sure that the same thing doesn’t happen again.

What was the first law called something like this?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Badger of Basra posted:

There’s a trend in the US (and maybe elsewhere idk) to pass laws popularly known as “[x]’s Law,” usually named after a kid who was in some tragedy and the law will supposedly make sure that the same thing doesn’t happen again.

What was the first law called something like this?

Coogan’s Law is the oldest that I know of offhand, passed 1939.

e: Wikipedia has a list of legislation named for a person. It’s not a complete list, but the contemporary naming trend may have started with Megan’s Law in 1996.

Coogan’s Law is the only one older than that which is named for a kid. Everything else is (adult) politicians and officials and such.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jun 23, 2022

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Platystemon posted:

Coogan’s Law is the oldest that I know of offhand, passed 1939.

Coogan’s law wasn’t just named after a kid, it was named after The Kid.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
What does Shazam do if you report a false positive? Does it change their algorithm any?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

What’s the cheapest call box? We live in a small condo and our HOA pays out its rear end to maintain a a landline so it can have a call box. It connects to our individual cellphones so if a delivery guy punches in my unit number at the keypad, they can talk to me.

I read that there are VoIP options that are cheaper but I don’t understand how it works. Also there currently isn’t an internet connection available at the call box so I don’t think we could replace it with one of those fancier app-enabled internet-connected options.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Mister Kingdom posted:

What does Shazam do if you report a false positive? Does it change their algorithm any?

Probably. The algorithm's parameters can be updated with new training data (which has to be labeled, i.e. a human has to confirm what the song really is), and data provided by real users in the field can be really good for this.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Is eating monkey meat considered cannibalism?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Not generally, no. It's not clear where the line would be drawn if you were asking about other hominids, but monkeys are less closely related to us than non-hominid apes and I don't think anyone would consider eating them to be cannibalism (but it's bad in other ways).

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Leal posted:

Is eating monkey meat considered cannibalism?

Oftentimes the taboos around undesirable behavior have legitimate objective reasons behind them. That is to say, they're not just motivated by "squicky feelings", there's real, serious reasons why you shouldn't engage in many taboo behaviors. Incest, for example, leads to inbreeding. Cannibalism is bad because anything that's infected the thing you're eating is extremely likely to be compatible with your own biology, thus, it's a very easy way to pick up infections. In particular, it's an excellent way to get a prion infection, which is incredibly scary. Prions are malformed proteins that can't do their old job any more, but they can turn other proteins into copies of them. Like an extremely simple virus, but it's impossible to stop.

In short, if you want to know if eating something is bad, consider how close you are to it, genetically speaking. The closer you are, the worse of an idea it is.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Boba Pearl posted:

e: Like when spiderman flings himself forward, is that the elasticity of the webs doing it, or is he somehow yanking himself that ahrd?
I think the short answer is that Spider-Man's webs don't work realistically at all. But they are somewhat elastic and he does have super strength, so it's probably a combination of both. He shoots the web at something in front of him, it attaches then contracts slightly, and at the same time he pulls himself forward.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Prions are malformed proteins that can't do their old job any more, but they can turn other proteins into copies of them. Like an extremely simple virus, but it's impossible to stop.

It is difficult to overstate how insidious prions are.

Scrapie has been demonstrated to be capable of infect laboratory animals even after exposure to six hundred degrees Celsius (1100 °F) for fifteen minutes.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
Are kidney punches actually a thing? Like you aim for a specific spot when you strike and it leaves your opponent much more debilitated than if you just punched them in the gut.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Are kidney punches actually a thing? Like you aim for a specific spot when you strike and it leaves your opponent much more debilitated than if you just punched them in the gut.

Yes? The kidney is fairly close to the surface of the lower back and a hard, direct blow there can be very debilitating.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
So it would be a blow to the back? I'm just thinking of someone who said they punched a dude from the front in the kidney

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Kevin DuBrow posted:

So it would be a blow to the back? I'm just thinking of someone who said they punched a dude from the front in the kidney

Anatomically speaking that seems pretty dubious. You'd hit the liver or stomach most likely, but there also tends to be more fat to absorb a punch in the front vs the back.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Would it be possible to make shaped charge rifle rounds? Like, say, .50 cal rounds with shaped charge shells instead of bullets? Then you could turn an anti-materiel rifle into an antitank rifle.

(I don't know why you'd want to, it's just something that's been floating around in my head lately)

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
on Boba Pearl’s comics question, slingshotting yourself and throwing the spear could result in simultaneous arrival if you calibrated the slingshot correctly

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Hyperlynx posted:

Would it be possible to make shaped charge rifle rounds? Like, say, .50 cal rounds with shaped charge shells instead of bullets? Then you could turn an anti-materiel rifle into an antitank rifle.

(I don't know why you'd want to, it's just something that's been floating around in my head lately)
Certainly possible, but probably couldn't penetrate enough armor (on a modern tank) to make it worthwhile.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Kevin DuBrow posted:

A kidney punch is hitting someone in their lower back. A punch from the front that hits them in the body and drops them is likely a liver shot.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Hyperlynx posted:

Yes, but penetration scales off the diameter of the charge. For a .50 projectile, you're looking at a couple inches of armor penetration from the jet in the most optimistic case. Additionally, HEAT rounds' penetration is less effective when centrifugal force disperses the jet, so you're looking at an even lower practical number. Less of an issue for a smoothbore gun, but then you have all the issues that come with that.

A normal .50 BMG projectile penetrates about an inch of steel, so in theory you'd be coming out "ahead" if the spin doesn't gently caress you over... but it's nowhere near cost effective enough to be worthwhile, especially not when you can just give an infantryman a 40mm launcher instead for a hell of a lot more effective armor penetration (albeit at shorter range). So, yes, possible, but not really worth it at all.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Also, the thought has just occurred to me that if you could get useful penetration out of a .50 cal round there would be no need for tank guns, and tanks are more or less designed to withstand other tanks' weapons.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Tanks would still need guns.

They fire more shells at things that aren’t other tanks than at things that are.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

So I have a water filter (meltblown polypropylene or something) 0.1um (micron) filtering capability. My water filter is absolutely filled with rust, the entire thing is orange. I haven't cleaned it because I figured the rust particles squashing against the filter will only make the filter more efficient?

Anyway, my question is, how dangerous is it for me to be drinking this water. I was wondering about it, does rust dissolve in water? If so, how small do the particles get? Will 0.1um be enough to filter out most of the rust? It became alarming when I saw a small ring of deposited rust in my kettle. That made me realise it's actually managing to pass through the filter. It took a month for a thin film of rust to deposit on the kettle heating element.

For the record, the water tastes of nothing, and I'm one of those weird people that can taste hard water and be totally disgusted by it.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jun 25, 2022

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Is buying a replacement filter not an option?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Qubee posted:

So I have a water filter (meltblown polypropylene or something) 0.1um (micron) filtering capability. My water filter is absolutely filled with rust, the entire thing is orange. I haven't cleaned it because I figured the rust particles squashing against the filter will only make the filter more efficient?

Anyway, my question is, how dangerous is it for me to be drinking this water. I was wondering about it, does rust dissolve in water? If so, how small do the particles get? Will 0.1um be enough to filter out most of the rust? It became alarming when I saw a small ring of deposited rust in my kettle. That made me realise it's actually managing to pass through the filter. It took a month for a thin film of rust to deposit on the kettle heating element.

For the record, the water tastes of nothing, and I'm one of those weird people that can taste hard water and be totally disgusted by it.

I don't think rust itself is particularly harmful* but a badly clogged filter raises the pressure difference and makes it more likely that water will find or create a non-filtered way through, compromising the filter. The fact that you're starting to see rust on the clean side might be a clue that that's happened.

*assuming it's clean pure rust... in reality rust has nooks and crannies that bacteria love to hang out in

Qubee
May 31, 2013

regulargonzalez posted:

Is buying a replacement filter not an option?

I live in an apartment complex, the rust is most likely from some iron fittings somewhere along the pipeline, or an issue with the water tank. Every apartment has this issue and I guess it's too expensive to overhaul the lines cause the landlord doesn't seem intent on fixing things.

I can remove, clean, and replace the filter with a brand new one. The entire thing is rusty again by the end of the week.

alnilam posted:

I don't think rust itself is particularly harmful* but a badly clogged filter raises the pressure difference and makes it more likely that water will find or create a non-filtered way through, compromising the filter. The fact that you're starting to see rust on the clean side might be a clue that that's happened.

*assuming it's clean pure rust... in reality rust has nooks and crannies that bacteria love to hang out in

Tbf, the rust that shows on the bottom of the kettle is a really really thin film. I don't see the rust anywhere else, especially not when I pour a glass of water. So if I had to hazard a guess, I'd say there's miniscule amounts that gets into the water, but the act of boiling / emptying / boiling the kettle over and over has managed to cake a thin layer of rust on the bottom of the kettle?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

When artillery is fired in movies, and I assume irl, you always see a big boom and a big crater is left. Are the rounds explosive, or is the explosion just from the impact of a loving massive bullet? If the latter, how does it kill anyone not directly hit, is a bunch of shrapnel thrown out from the impacting big bullet?

Also does the answer to this question vary between old cannons, small field mortars, 20th century howitzers, naval guns, even modern rockets like what Russia is shelling Ukrainian cities with?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Overpressure is the reason why large bombs are as destructive as they are. The explosion and whatever shrapnel it throws out don't have as big an effect.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

alnilam posted:

When artillery is fired in movies, and I assume irl, you always see a big boom and a big crater is left. Are the rounds explosive, or is the explosion just from the impact of a loving massive bullet? If the latter, how does it kill anyone not directly hit, is a bunch of shrapnel thrown out from the impacting big bullet?

Also does the answer to this question vary between old cannons, small field mortars, 20th century howitzers, naval guns, even modern rockets like what Russia is shelling Ukrainian cities with?

Almost all artillery since the latter part of the the nineteenth century has shot explosive shells.

Prior to that, shot was sometimes explosive (“hollow” shot) and sometimes not (solid shot).

As a rule of thumb, direct fire (point the gun at the enemy) tended to use solid shot. Hollow shells were useful in indirect fire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfWKb0BSi6k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
I bought a Class 4 laser and need the best quality laser safety glasses… any idea which ones to get?