Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Nah my pet peeve is people who don't learn how microwaves work or what power level settings do so they just blast everything at 100% and wonder why everything is hotter than the surface of the sun on the outside and ice cold on the inside

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Killingyouguy! posted:

Nah my pet peeve is people who don't learn how microwaves work or what power level settings do so they just blast everything at 100% and wonder why everything is hotter than the surface of the sun on the outside and ice cold on the inside

I can program the time but I don't know how to do whatever microwave tricks you're talking about.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

I got myself a new portable air conditioner, and set it up on Wednesday.
I've been running it for only a few hours each day since then, and last night (Thursday) it shut off with a blinking error message, telling me that the moisture tank is full.
I quote from the manual : "Water may need to be drained if running in dehumidify mode or is the unit is operating in Cool mode and running under very hot/humid conditions for a prolonged period of time."
3-4 hours a day for literally two days?
Also it doesn't go any lower than 18 Celsius, which is 2 degrees lower than normal room temperature, so what really is the point?

Also, my parents gave me a brand new pair of headphones for Christmas, with a cord long enough that I can sit comfortably on my bed and watch TV without bothering anyone.
The left side no longer works. It hasn't even been six months.

Why is everything so irritating?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

credburn posted:

I can program the time but I don't know how to do whatever microwave tricks you're talking about.
You can change the power settings from "high" (on 100% of the time) to lower than that, where it cycles instead of going full blast. It takes a bit longer but has more consistent results

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The Mighty Moltres posted:

I got myself a new portable air conditioner, and set it up on Wednesday.
I've been running it for only a few hours each day since then, and last night (Thursday) it shut off with a blinking error message, telling me that the moisture tank is full.
I quote from the manual : "Water may need to be drained if running in dehumidify mode or is the unit is operating in Cool mode and running under very hot/humid conditions for a prolonged period of time."
Also it doesn't go any lower than 18 Celsius, which is 2 degrees lower than normal room temperature, so what really is the point?
Sounds about right. Mine is the same. Depending on the humidity, I'd have to empty the tank one to three times a day. And if it's only 20°, why are you even running an air conditioner? Unless it's for dehumidifying, in which case the tank filling up just means it's working.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Is this the first time in your life where you have encountered condensation?

Also how cold are you trying to make your room that 18C isn't cold enough? Maybe you should move your bed in to a walk in fridge.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

The left side no longer works. It hasn't even been six months.

Every headphone failure l've ever had has been the left side no longer working. It's not too big of a deal to open them up and reflow some solder but why is it ALWAYS the left side?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Beer that doesn’t list it’s alcohol content on the can/bottle

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
My dishwasher beeps seven times when it's finished. I always wonder how they settled on that number. Like 'shall we have eight beeps? No that's too many, that's overkill!' 'how about six?' 'that's not enough! Are you loving crazy?! We're meant to be trying to help out customers!!'

Was there a committee? People wrangling over it on some stupid document in a shared drive somewhere? Did it have to be signed off by the Head of Beeps? I guess I'll never know.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

FFT posted:

I kinda do tbh

For the record, I bought the most highly recommended countertop dishwasher a year or so ago -- it's a good dishwasher -- but loving PLATES don't fit in it. PLATES!

After our last dishwasher kicked it, we went out of our way to get one that we liked. And we loved it! But like all dishwashers I've ever encountered, eventually they just stop washing the dishes and instead begin to encrust them with filth and bake it on. We tried loving everything, all the rinse aids and detergents and tips and tricks from the internet, and every time it worked for a day or two and then our glasses would start getting The Crust again. We're rinsing and clearing every bit of dishware we're putting in there, DOUBLY so now that we're trying to prevent the crust, so WHERE is the crust coming from? Does the dishwasher now make its own? Why can I put a load of glasses in and get food crust baked into them? There was no FOOD.

So at this point it's become the Rinse-and-Dry box and we just scrub every dish by hand which isn't really conducive to how we live our loving lives in my house but I'd rather do that than try to scratch out some horrible, hard-baked crust of indeterminate origin from the bottom edge of a pint glass before enjoying a beer.

It's maddening, though.

Outcast Spy
May 7, 2007

How could you be both?

Brawnfire posted:

After our last dishwasher kicked it, we went out of our way to get one that we liked. And we loved it! But like all dishwashers I've ever encountered, eventually they just stop washing the dishes and instead begin to encrust them with filth and bake it on. We tried loving everything, all the rinse aids and detergents and tips and tricks from the internet, and every time it worked for a day or two and then our glasses would start getting The Crust again. We're rinsing and clearing every bit of dishware we're putting in there, DOUBLY so now that we're trying to prevent the crust, so WHERE is the crust coming from? Does the dishwasher now make its own? Why can I put a load of glasses in and get food crust baked into them? There was no FOOD.

So at this point it's become the Rinse-and-Dry box and we just scrub every dish by hand which isn't really conducive to how we live our loving lives in my house but I'd rather do that than try to scratch out some horrible, hard-baked crust of indeterminate origin from the bottom edge of a pint glass before enjoying a beer.

It's maddening, though.

Have you tried thoroughly cleaning the trap at the bottom of the dishwasher? There's food bits in there.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

We've like gutted it and cleaned every inch, that's the part that boggles us. It's built to be very easy to maintain, and we do it rigorously because we have... sensitive digust reactions regarding dishes. It's like it's manifesting food bits from ether :smith:

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
Sounds like someone is secretly puking in the dishwasher.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Other than my parents home growing up, I've never lived in a place with a dishwasher, so besides seeming bourgeois to me, now I'm hearing they don't even work?? You could fit like THREE shelves in that space!! Think of the storage!!

This post brought to you by tiny apartment gang

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

People who use their phones like this: on speaker, holding it flat in front of their mouth to speak, bottom end directly in their ear when the other person is speaking.

Absolutely baffling.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

for fucks sake posted:

People who use their phones like this: on speaker, holding it flat in front of their mouth to speak, bottom end directly in their ear when the other person is speaking.

Absolutely baffling.

Reality shows started doing it to record both sides of the call, and now people think it's how phones work

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Killingyouguy! posted:

Other than my parents home growing up, I've never lived in a place with a dishwasher, so besides seeming bourgeois to me, now I'm hearing they don't even work?? You could fit like THREE shelves in that space!! Think of the storage!!
Having lived in a tiny flat with no dishwasher to now an admittedly larger flat that has a dishwasher, freeing up space is the best thing about them. Instead of half my kitchen being taken up by dirty dishes, they go out of sight and out of the way in the dishwasher. It's actually slightly less convenient otherwise, since I don't want to put it on till it's actually full and that often takes longer than I'd like, but it does mean that I can still use my kitchen even if I haven't bothered doing the dishes for a couple of days.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Killingyouguy! posted:

Reality shows started doing it to record both sides of the call, and now people think it's how phones work

This is so dumb it can’t possibly be any other explanation. I’ve wondered about it for years

e: to clarify I’m not saying you’re dumb, but that’s absolutely probably why and it’s the dumbest thing

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I see it constantly on HGTV shows and their ilk

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

Joey Freshwater posted:

This is so dumb it can’t possibly be any other explanation. I’ve wondered about it for years

e: to clarify I’m not saying you’re dumb, but that’s absolutely probably why and it’s the dumbest thing

Sadly I can also belive this.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Brawnfire posted:

We've like gutted it and cleaned every inch, that's the part that boggles us. It's built to be very easy to maintain, and we do it rigorously because we have... sensitive digust reactions regarding dishes. It's like it's manifesting food bits from ether :smith:

It's probably not the dishwasher but something wrong with the actual plumbing, you need to investigate everything the water outlet pipe is connected to because something is backing up into the dishwasher. It could be the waste disposal if you have one or simply stuff caught in a U bend causing a blockage.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

"kerb"

gently caress you, Britain, that's not how it's spelled and there's no loving reason to spell it that way except someone went "bone app the teeth" on "curb"

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Please don't put your teeth on the kerb

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

learnincurve posted:

It's probably not the dishwasher but something wrong with the actual plumbing, you need to investigate everything the water outlet pipe is connected to because something is backing up into the dishwasher. It could be the waste disposal if you have one or simply stuff caught in a U bend causing a blockage.

Noooooo ugghhhh

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

oldpainless posted:

Now now, you’re a bad poster as well

:yeah:

I'm in good company though

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Facebook keeps offering me this option though it absolutely does nothing.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

credburn posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if all that button did was tell the algorithm that you're annoyed enough with the content to engage with it, so it keeps shoving more of it in your face.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Brawnfire posted:

We're rinsing and clearing every bit of dishware we're putting in there, DOUBLY so now that we're trying to prevent the crust
I don't think this would solve your problem, but if your dishwasher tries to detect how dirty things are, pre-rinsing them visibly clean may often be counterproductive.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

dirby posted:

I don't think this would solve your problem, but if your dishwasher tries to detect how dirty things are, pre-rinsing them visibly clean may often be counterproductive.

That's interesting, I'm not sure if it does that but I'll look at the manual. I know it had some fancy features we immediately never availed ourselves of, so could be!

Also, pet peeve time: The weird loving sounds that happen when you have your headphones on, that immediately stop when you take the headphones off to figure out what the gently caress that sound is. I'm just trying to work on music and I keep hearing what sounds like a dog attacking a cat, and whatever it is ceases the moment I listen directly to it. Moments pass, I give up, start my poo poo again and now there's knocking. Nobody at the door. Is someone slipping terrible samples into my DAW?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

credburn posted:

God I hate those. I barely even interact with Facebook so it mostly just knows I'm a guy. That means my first three reels are always like "you won't believe this bikini event" and "twerk caught on tape".

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

If I find the Nighttime Tool Tapper, I'm gonna poo poo in their furnace intake

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I like sponsored snapchat stories. 33% thirst traps, 33% here's how to get buff, 33% YOU WONT BELIEVE WHAT HAPPENS then the advertised thing doesn't loving happen

e: is marketing a valid peeve because I am sick of this poo poo

yes youtube i am a bisexual who recognizes Sonic the Hedgehog, that said, gently caress you

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 03:10 on Jun 28, 2022

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I have a facebook page for my pet snakes, which is only about snakes, facebook keeps trying to show me videos and pictures of snakes being murdered all the time :(

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

e: is marketing a valid peeve because I am sick of this poo poo

yes youtube i am a bisexual who recognizes Sonic the Hedgehog, that said, gently caress you

I remember there being a time in my life when the phrase 'you are valid' had an actual meaning but this kind of poo poo has made it into something I can only cringe at

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I started backing away from online stuff and getting involved in more actual real life LGBT+ activism again when a young trans man pointed out that no one asked trans youth what they think of he/him they/them stuff in bios. My heart basically shattered when he said that what the "allies" are doing in their haste to get their "one of the good ones" sticker is forcing kids who are not yet out to use the wrong pronouns on social media.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I wish Teams was smart enough to filter out the mouth breathers. I'm watching some guy deliver a tutorial, and whenever he fucks around changing screens or whatever he's just loving panting and snorting and it's gross.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
My hands smell like garlic and I cannot get the scent off, it's been like three days I'm freaking out

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

My hands smell like garlic and I cannot get the scent off, it's been like three days I'm freaking out

Rub them with something made of stainless steel. I don't know why but I swear it works.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

learnincurve posted:

I started backing away from online stuff and getting involved in more actual real life LGBT+ activism again when a young trans man pointed out that no one asked trans youth what they think of he/him they/them stuff in bios. My heart basically shattered when he said that what the "allies" are doing in their haste to get their "one of the good ones" sticker is forcing kids who are not yet out to use the wrong pronouns on social media.

Disclaimer: White cishet male, adjust your reaction as necessary.

I think it's fine to put your pronouns in your bio/profile, as a show of solidarity. It is not OK to force or pressure or expect others into doing the same, some people are more private or perhaps not out yet. And it's certainly not OK to think that it's going to save the world somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Replace the smell with something even worse. Dip your hands in an outhouse for five minutes and the garlic will be gone.