Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Yeah you dont wanna be stuck without something like that if you ever need them. What was fun is when our company stopped renting a property and two monitor stands were left behind. I went looking for them and the landlord was like actually we think you guys took some chairs that didn't belong to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
Transporting an LG C1 flat screenside up in it's original box from the store to home (15-20 minute drive) shouldn't be a problem...should it? I know the ideal is upright but that's not happening in our vehicle. I'm concerned about how thin the TV is and possible screen flex

Edit: No longer necessary, Costco added the TV to it's online promo for a cash card.

jisforjosh fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jun 22, 2022

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I want to say it should be fine, but if it gets hosed up I don't want you to blame me.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I just transported a 55" C8 that I haphazardly squeezed back into it's original box and then put flat in my car screen side up for a 2-hour car trip and it was fine.

Hey, if anything is wrong with it, you can 100% honestly say it was broken when you opened the box.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

Mister Facetious posted:

Added this post to the OP under smart features.

a google search provides a lot more of the ad servers than I listed.

Also, a note that service.lgtvcommon.com is necessary for access to LG Channels.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Got my C1 65” today. This thing rules. I’m watching hockey and its blindingly bright, good lord.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

OldSenileGuy posted:

I just transported a 55" C8 that I haphazardly squeezed back into it's original box and then put flat in my car screen side up for a 2-hour car trip and it was fine.

Hey, if anything is wrong with it, you can 100% honestly say it was broken when you opened the box.

I always assume that if you put it in its proper box it’s likely going to be fine, and it’s suffered worse handling at some point in its life before it ever got to you.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Matt Zerella posted:

Got my C1 65” today. This thing rules. I’m watching hockey and its blindingly bright, good lord.

Mine gets in next Saturday, could've done sooner (next Tuesday) but I didn't like the thought of it sitting outside my front door while I was at work, loving excited.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

I got the C2 and set it up.

Good god it looks amazing. I had high expectations and it beat them. Totally different class of TV.

Also protip: Walmart.com did next-day delivery on it.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
For all you recent buyers of C1, C2, G2, etc. what's your gray or white color uniformity like? I see quite a bit of discussion about "pink tint" on other forums, which could be a problem with winter sports or B&W content.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Number_6 posted:

For all you recent buyers of C1, C2, G2, etc. what's your gray or white color uniformity like? I see quite a bit of discussion about "pink tint" on other forums, which could be a problem with winter sports or B&W content.

I have 48" C1 and the white android install screen is nice and pink on one side and green on the other if watched off center. Just tested with some hockey and it's noticeable, but the field is not uniformly white so not as noticeable as with pure white color.

CatHorse fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Jun 24, 2022

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

My 55" C1 is pure white. The white balance was way too cool, even a little green out of the box, but with some tweaking it's now perfect and totally consistent as far as I can tell.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Realistically speaking, when can I expect the price to drop on Sony A80J model TVs? The A80K is out now, I was expecting a fair discount on 2021 A80Js but there has been nothing for almost a whole month.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Qubee posted:

Realistically speaking, when can I expect the price to drop on Sony A80J model TVs? The A80K is out now, I was expecting a fair discount on 2021 A80Js but there has been nothing for almost a whole month.

Retail for the 65" is what, ~$2500? Just 3 days ago they were on sale for $1,429 on Amazon and 2 weeks ago $1,699 at Best Buy.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Qubee posted:

They were $1375 or something on Amazon just the other week for the 65”. You had to add to your card to see the price.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I'm from a Middle Eastern country, I can only buy retail here and we don't have Amazon or Best Buy. I was hoping once the new models hit the market, demand for the older ones will drop and I can get a good deal.

I did see the price go for $1600 about 3 weeks ago, but figured it was the start of the end and the price would drop further lol, oops

I've got no experience in TV prices, I always heard tech depreciates like crazy. I ordered the TV for $2500 last month and then cancelled when I realised I may as well just wait for new models to lower price. The plan hasn't worked out as I'd hoped, but now I've committed long enough to just wait it out whatever happens.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
In my experience the price of the outgoing gen depreciates in the lead up the new gens launch, the actual release does not make a big difference as far as deals go as most of the stock is gone by that point. That's Europe tho.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Qubee posted:

Just a head’s up, if I recall correctly, Sony buys their OLED panels from LG.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Fremry posted:

Just a head’s up, if I recall correctly, Sony buys their OLED panels from LG.

Yep. Once the C1 is calibrated I'm pretty sure the TV's are nearly identical

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/compare/lg-c1-oled-vs-sony-a80j-oled/21421/21563?usage=1&threshold=0.10

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

LG was making the panels for all OLED TVs until this year, Samsung would rather have had a diiferent gimmick that looks like OLED on the box from a distance than source from LG. Sony's processors have a fantastic upscaler though, at the cost of higher latency

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Loving my C1 but I’m over the speaker quality. Due to the need to move my entertainment unit to get to my cellar hatch, I’d like to upgrade from wired speakers to wireless. Anything to recommend for wireless speakers? I’d prefer bookshelf or wall mounted but I could do floor mounted if that’ll be better.

Not a Children fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jun 25, 2022

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
On a similar note - what's the best bang for buck 3.0 system for great voice/centre channel? I really want to avoid a subwoofer if I can, just looking to purely improve voice clarity in TV and the occasional movie.

Edit: don't need HDMI 2.1 or anything, 4k60 is fine for me. It's going on an X90H so I guess eARC and Dolby vision support would be nice.

Aware fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jun 26, 2022

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Not a Children posted:

Loving my C1 but I’m over the speaker quality. Due to the need to move my entertainment unit to get to my cellar hatch, I’d like to upgrade from wired speakers to wireless. Anything to recommend for wireless speakers? I’d prefer bookshelf or wall mounted but I could do floor mounted if that’ll be better.

Have you tried changing the audio mode to cinema. I think the default is their AI thingy and it can be weird.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I transported my old 55" C7 wedged into a MINI Cooper horizontally. If it's factory packaged like 80% of the box is rigid styrofoam, it's not gonna do anything to it unless you're so excited to get home that you're drifting corners at 60mph

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

MikusR posted:

Have you tried changing the audio mode to cinema. I think the default is their AI thingy and it can be weird.

Yeah, I hated the AI thing. I have it set to standard, and make sure it’s set to PCM (which is stereo) and not bitstream (which is surround).

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Don't go all out with your TV dollars and skimp on audio. Higher res, higher refresh etc TVs will render your TV obsolete, quality speakers are for life. And you don't even have to buy new.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

codo27 posted:

Don't go all out with your TV dollars and skimp on audio. Higher res, higher refresh etc TVs will render your TV obsolete, quality speakers are for life. And you don't even have to buy new.

Yep. Upgraded to a C1 and my KEF Q150s are going nowhere (only running 2.0 because I'm in an apartment and even if I get more space/a house I'll only be adding a subwoofer). 2.0 for life.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

Aware posted:

On a similar note - what's the best bang for buck 3.0 system for great voice/centre channel? I really want to avoid a subwoofer if I can, just looking to purely improve voice clarity in TV and the occasional movie.

If you don't want a sub then floorstanders would get you closer to where you need to be. Take a look at the Elac Debut and the Klipsch Reference and Reference Premier lines? I believe both should be on sale right now.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Matt Zerella posted:

Yep. Upgraded to a C1 and my KEF Q150s are going nowhere (only running 2.0 because I'm in an apartment and even if I get more space/a house I'll only be adding a subwoofer). 2.0 for life.

Stereo rules, no decoding or pass through issues, everything supports 2 channel PCM, almost nobody can position their center speaker properly anyway. Do look into getting a sub though, having lived with both 5.0 and 2.1 the subwoofer adds so much.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

qirex posted:

Stereo rules, no decoding or pass through issues, everything supports 2 channel PCM, almost nobody can position their center speaker properly anyway. Do look into getting a sub though, having lived with both 5.0 and 2.1 the subwoofer adds so much.

The C1 on its own already rumbles the room in an apartment.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

qirex posted:

One day when I'm not in an apartment subwoofer is definitely in my plans. I'm pretty sure it was you that got me to ditch my center channel and go stereo and I'll never look back.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

On the subject of TV speakers, my Samsung TV had piss poor audio but because I lived in an apartment and am really self conscious about disturbing neighbours, I just lived with it despite having to watch everything with subtitles on. I plan on getting a pair of wireless headphones to watch my new TV (when I eventually get it). Is this going to be comfortable? I'm used to wearing headphones a lot and was going to get a pair of Sony WH-1000XM3. Even though I live alone in a much more sound-proof apartment, I still prefer not making noise.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I love not having neighbors that share walls so I can let the dual subs in my Definitive Technologies towers breath.

They are like at 1/4th volume and shake the walls.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I just bought a soundbar (Sonos Arc) to replace my 20 year old 5.1 system and it sounds just about good enough that I'm OK until I get a bigger place. Like it's surprisingly enough base that I don't really miss the subwoofer, not that I could crank it in my condo anyway.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

bull3964 posted:

I love not having neighbors that share walls so I can let the dual subs in my Definitive Technologies towers breath.

They are like at 1/4th volume and shake the walls.

Subs go through floors and ceilings.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

If someone is living in my basement or attic unbeknownst to me, they can suffer through my movies.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

MikusR posted:

Subs go through floors and ceilings.

What if I told you that a floor and a ceiling were...

... just horizontal walls?

:aaa:

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Appreciate the advice but floorstanding speakers are out for the same reason as the sub - no room and also we have a giant lab who will absolutely knock them over even if we did. A soundbar is the only upgrade I can fit but if they're really not worth it I'll just stick with the built in speakers. I'm not looking for loud, just a bump in voice clarity as we use our lounge for watching TV shows 99% of the time and watch a movie maybe once a month.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Aware posted:

Appreciate the advice but floorstanding speakers are out for the same reason as the sub - no room and also we have a giant lab who will absolutely knock them over even if we did. A soundbar is the only upgrade I can fit but if they're really not worth it I'll just stick with the built in speakers. I'm not looking for loud, just a bump in voice clarity as we use our lounge for watching TV shows 99% of the time and watch a movie maybe once a month.

1) check if your tv audio settings have voice clarity mode.
2) https://www.rtings.com/soundbar have ratings for dialogue.
3) Or get something like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bn3hKbl9f-U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Ah didn't realise rtings did soundbar reviews, that's perfect.