Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Hel posted:

This is why I really like RE5-6 and the Revelations sub series, because they did introduce more new characters (though the comic relief guys in Revelations 1 suck a whole lot). And why I was sad to see that after that female primary playable characters were only allowed in remakes of games set when they were young, and the new games turned into the boring white guy show with Ethan and Chris.

Sheva
SHEVA
Sheva
Sheva
Sheva
Sheva
Sheva

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Frank Frank posted:

Sheva
SHEVA
Sheva
Sheva
Sheva
Sheva
Sheva

Literally where the gently caress has Josh Stone gone?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I can't believe that dude survived. He had dead man walking pinned on his chest from the start

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

This whole spoiler filled conversation is really hilarious because even without clicking on anything it really reaffirms my earlier stated suspicions about Ethan, and it’s great. RE8 signposts the hell out of it if you pay attention at all….and it still doesn’t discourage my enjoyment of his character at all because he’s clearly too dense to realize it himself.

Also I know I’ve mentioned before that I’m playing on casual ‘cuz I don’t particularly gel well with horror games to begin with but it really highlights how fun the combat is when it’s not quite as resource-intensive as Normal or Hard. I’m at the intro to the Stronghold right now and it has genuinely been super fun just battling off waves of dudes. Even with all of the recipe upgrades but one (seriously WHERE THE gently caress IS THAT LAST FISH) it feels like positioning and using the environment to your advantage really matters, even if it’s not so dire that a single mistake will cost you a first aid med if not your life. The actual combat gameplay is so loving cool, seriously.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Rockman Reserve posted:

Also I know I’ve mentioned before that I’m playing on casual ‘cuz I don’t particularly gel well with horror games to begin with but it really highlights how fun the combat is when it’s not quite as resource-intensive as Normal or Hard. I’m at the intro to the Stronghold right now and it has genuinely been super fun just battling off waves of dudes. Even with all of the recipe upgrades but one (seriously WHERE THE gently caress IS THAT LAST FISH) it feels like positioning and using the environment to your advantage really matters, even if it’s not so dire that a single mistake will cost you a first aid med if not your life. The actual combat gameplay is so loving cool, seriously.

Yeah, it's like Last of Us part 2. You don't spend 19 months working on a gun crafting animation for the upgrade bench and then tell me that I'm only finding four bullets in this entire food plaza.

https://twitter.com/SunhiLegend/status/1539668682195886080

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I hadn't actually watched footage from Last of Us 2 until now. I had no idea it was that viscerally violent even with its reputation.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Shiroc posted:

I hadn't actually watched footage from Last of Us 2 until now. I had no idea it was that viscerally violent even with its reputation.

Yeah I was watching footage of the deaths from the Callisto Protocol and I was like man, the human on human violence in TLOU2 has already got you beat Glenn sorry. Skillful footage of TLOU2 reminds me of early John Wick in a fun way, in that John comes away staggering from every fight and that's what it takes to be one person versus twenty-plus at a time. TLOU2 in motion really does feel that way if you get hurt during a fight, sifting through a cloud/puddle of bodies and chunks silently as you drift toward the exit funnel, Hotline Miami style, looking for a snack bar to get from red health back to yellow so you can move at normal speed again.

Other times it just feels pointlessly excessive and the effect is lost, and all you're reminded of is instead the human effort that went into making it so visceral that it actually disgusts you despite being simulated. For me it lands more on that side in games like RE, Dead Space, TLOU, but I suppose it's the nature of these games to show you the consequences of failure in totality so that you will never want it to happen to the characters you are responsible for the life or lives of.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 00:49 on Jun 25, 2022

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Shiroc posted:

Yeah, it's like Robocop, it owns.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah, it's like Robocop, it owns.

the first was fairly horrible too, like this is the experience of murdering someone with a brick because you don't want to waste your bullets

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Rockman Reserve posted:

I'm right at that point in 8, finally playing it back to back from 7, and it really does stand out just how much more fun combat is now. I love 7, but its strengths aren't so much in extended combat scenes - it really stands out in the final section when you're at the walking arsenal point mowing down armies of fungus monsters, it's fun enough but feels so much slower and simpler in comparison to any number of battles in 8. This one just feels great.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

moosecow333 posted:

I picked up the new Starship Troopers RTS and am enjoying it so far. It does a pretty good job of capturing the style and feel of the movie.

The game also doesn’t shy away from reminding you that the Terran Federation are jackboot fascists. One of the objectives in the early game is to defend a prison as someone is being executed on live tv for the terrible crime of being a union leader.

There was also a small prison break and the game did in fact give me flamethrower units to uh, pacify the rioters.

I saw that had come out and assumed it was just a lovely tie-in. Is it actually good? Is it based on crazy amounts of micro ?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

sebmojo posted:

the first was fairly horrible too, like this is the experience of murdering someone with a brick because you don't want to waste your bullets

The first was as brutal and violent as the PS3 could handle. The second is as brutal and violent as the PS4 could handle

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

ilmucche posted:

I saw that had come out and assumed it was just a lovely tie-in. Is it actually good? Is it based on crazy amounts of micro ?

I’m about halfway through now and I’m still liking it. It’s definitely a simpler rts but it’s only 30 bucks and they do a pretty good job of keeping missions fresh.

It’s not super crazy micro intensive so far, and it’s got 5 levels of difficulty so you can just attack move through missions or really give yourself hell.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

moosecow333 posted:

I’m about halfway through now and I’m still liking it. It’s definitely a simpler rts but it’s only 30 bucks and they do a pretty good job of keeping missions fresh.

It’s not super crazy micro intensive so far, and it’s got 5 levels of difficulty so you can just attack move through missions or really give yourself hell.

A-move sounds like the most mobile infantry appropriate way to play really

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Now I have to download Tlou2 again because its one of the few shooters where guns look and feel really lethal.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The Last of Us Part Deux is one of those games where it's worth not reloading when you have a tiny amount of ammo and health and a huge amount of enemies because there's always a chance that can get through it. It's also a game where running away is not only an option but can be just as thrilling as staying and fight.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Avatar for the Xbox 360 has an encyclopedia filled with pages of lore and science fiction concepts.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Another thing I really like is once your units get to level 3 veterancy they can get an additional ability, and the icon of the ability you choose appears on the unit card.

Not once have I had to fumble around trying to find the appropriate unit, even in the middle of a big bug fight.

I also appreciate just how many voice actors they got for some of the squads. The bog standard rifle squad seems like it can pull from 3 male or 3 female voices which really drives home how diverse the Mobile Infantry is.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Was playing Journey to the Savage Planet and was confused as to why my character was making weird noises whenever I ran out of stamina or was injured. At the start of the game you're asked to choose a picture of yourself from a list and I chose one of a dog. So now my character makes dog noises.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've started playing the The Hobbit PS2 game and it's really charming. I've got to Riddles in the Dark, and the levels are long and varied with a lot of secret areas, some secrets I have missed in some levels despite exploring pretty thoroughly. The combat is wonky but serviceable, and the platforming is challenging, and exploring is quite fun to see what you can find as I've found some very optional permanent upgrades.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Alhazred posted:

Blacksad: Under the Skin:
https://i.imgur.com/i4CN55X.mp4
I think it's neat you can play Blacksad as a communist.

God I wish that was how communists looked

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I'm the polygons tearing on Wile E. Coyote's face

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
The thing I hate about playing the Last of Us 2 is that according to YouTube everyone else in the world does it way cooler than I did.

I mean that happens with most games but the gap is so much worse for this.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Well I never got around to it, so I guess that makes us.. The Last of Us 2 Play the Game :P

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Booo

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

christmas boots posted:

The thing I hate about playing the Last of Us 2 is that according to YouTube everyone else in the world does it way cooler than I did.

I mean that happens with most games but the gap is so much worse for this.

People who are trying to play it cool are doing it wrong. You're supposed to gently caress up and try to correct it only to gently caress up more until you barely survive.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Hahaha, in the Riddles in the Dark level in The Hobbit ps2 game the game introduces Orcs who you are too weak to fight right now so are mostly a stealth enemy, but they are in a room with goblins and they keep trying to bully them but the goblins are having none of it.

"Hey Goblin, you're nothing but the filthy spawn of an elf!" "SHUT UP!" :3:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Every time you loop Rogue Legacy 2, it adds a crown to the title screen:

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Salty I cannot play this on PS5

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

In the inverse of the usual, I am thrilled to have this spoiled for me as now I must boot up the game and attain a stack of crowns so tall it has left the screen

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
I’ve been binging the Mafia series and I could probably make a giant list of little things I love about them, but I want to give a special shoutout to one in particular with Mafia III.

After poo poo completely hit the fan in the story, I gained the ability to do lethal melee takedowns. The game’s tutorial also told me how to do non-lethal takedowns: Go into the options menu for the game, and turn off lethal takedowns.

:black101: KILL EM ALL

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
My favourite thing about Mafia III is that Clay is just so big.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Philippe posted:

My favourite thing about Mafia III is that Clay is just so big.

there's a robust quantity of him, to be sure

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
The Looker, a parody of The Witness, also parodies the quotes and readings that the Witness has. At one point, it states "As Albert Einsteen [sic] said, practice is the act of doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Which, at first, is like haha that quote except wrong. But if you think about it, it's a remarkably good take on the thought.

impossiboobs
Oct 2, 2006

Morpheus posted:

The Looker, a parody of The Witness, also parodies the quotes and readings that the Witness has. At one point, it states "As Albert Einsteen [sic] said, practice is the act of doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Which, at first, is like haha that quote except wrong. But if you think about it, it's a remarkably good take on the thought.

The Looker is a beautiful shitpost in game form.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Lol, that sounds great. Somehow it hasn't been represented well whenever I've seen it pop up for discussion, I vaguely thought it was just a short riff on Myst or adventure games in general or something.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Morpheus posted:

I saw the Dunkey review and I think I can safely skip the game. One-note jokes are funny but maybe not worth paying for

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Frank Frank posted:

I saw the Dunkey review and I think I can safely skip the game. One-note jokes are funny but maybe not worth paying for

good news: it's free
bad news: i would've refunded it even if i bought it

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Frank Frank posted:

It's free. It's basically the The WItness equivalent of that one fake game that came out for Bulletstorm which parodied Call of Duty.

edit: To the point where it's also not especially concerned with bein' a video game as it has jokes to tell, so if you watched a video of those jokes then you got the gist.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 20:23 on Jun 27, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
It's a good puzzle game as well as being a savage critique of The Witness. I especially like the end, where you wake up in the real world and everything is covered in game creator trash, just like in The Witness.