Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

grobbo
May 29, 2014
I agree that Annie and MM's position has been poorly laid out (dammit, Annie, if you'd stayed in the room and helped to restrain Homelander you could have ended the show two seasons early! Instead you went out to crouch sincerely next to some wounded people while contributing not very much).

But I did like the reflection across their two big monologues that their two apparently opposing positions are really the same: MM points out to Annie that black folks in the US are always being called upon to turn the other cheek and not fight dirty when faced with violence or oppression, because it'd be 'sinking to their level', which he rejects.

Annie, in a place of power and privilege within the system, points out to Neumann in a parallel monologue that she's *always* being called upon to get her hands dirty because it's seen as the only way to get anything done, which she rejects.

The arguments the characters are rejecting seem incompatible - one telling you to be more saintly, the other telling you to be more ruthlessly pragmatic, in order to make the world better - but that's the point; they're both being deployed cynically by agents of the status quo towards people in different circumstances to prevent them from working together effectively.

I just thought it was neat, and a nicely subtle reflection for the Show That Doesn't Do Subtlety.

On another note, Homelander's entrance and challenge to Soldier Boy basically rendered it moot, but I wondered if there were a few lines cut out of that hotel room scene. Soldier Boy seems incredibly compliant and content to go along with the plan, even though he's already proven that he's fully capable of finding his old team members like Crimson Countess without needing help from the internet, and it doesn't seem like the Twins' location was even particularly hidden.

His rant about complicated modern America would feed naturally into an opportunity for the Boys to persuade him that Homelander is a Nazi-loving, decadent creep who he can go and beat up to make things simple again, but instead we get 'you're not the only one who wants payback' and smash cut, mission accomplished.

Between that and not squaring up to MM, it just makes him seem like a very easygoing dude in certain scenes when the narrative also requires him to be barely under their control in others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Borsche69 posted:

i'd be better with hughie's stupid crap if they weren't saying it out loud at the camera repeatedly for every episode this season. frankly the thing that pisses me off more is that they aren't going for the obvious bait here, which is that he lost his last girlfriend to a superhero. and that he couldn't do anything to save her. so he's projecting that on starlight. to me its less of some 'emasculation' poo poo, and more of 'i dont want to lose anyone i care about again, and i will do anything to prevent it' sort of thought process. or at least that's how any of it would make sense, and it doesn't seem to be how they're writing it.

this is probably all implied anyway, and its going to probably come to a head in the next two episodes i guess. but given that we have had 3 episodes of him basically just yelling his feelings at the audience, basically using all the subtlety of a hammer, then you may as well just drive it home by having him look at a picture of robin or some poo poo.

Yeah Hughie's been spinning wheels on his arc for a couple of episodes, there's only so many times he and Annie can have literally the exact same conversation before The Boys stops getting a pass for being excellent in every other way.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Alchenar posted:

Yeah Hughie's been spinning wheels on his arc for a couple of episodes, there's only so many times he and Annie can have literally the exact same conversation before The Boys stops getting a pass for being excellent in every other way.

Amen to that. Hughie's power complex is the first legit bad subplot on the show. The whole thing is irritating but the fact that it's been going on for half the season is exhausting. If I'm going to have to watch the worlds luckiest dork shoot himself in the foot at least resolve it quickly instead of making him dumber every episode while Annie "almost" dumps him. Just do it or don't.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

grobbo posted:

I agree that Annie and MM's position has been poorly laid out (dammit, Annie, if you'd stayed in the room and helped to restrain Homelander you could have ended the show two seasons early! Instead you went out to crouch sincerely next to some wounded people while contributing not very much).

this is the thing that makes me go come ON so much because starlights slam dunk response to this is basically just more social media posturing. you could've joined in on the fight and maybe tipped the scales there and put an end to all this but no, gotta tend to the wounded (most of whom are culpable anyway), even though it pales in comparison to the wounded lying ahead of us in this epic battle you refused to prevent. a million people are probably about to die and you're like, this guy got his knee broken by my boyfriend's stupidity and that's wrong.

'i'm done with the seven', well yeah you should have been in season 1, and numerous moments since then, but you kept choosing not to be cos 'maybe I can be the one to fix it! (and not do anything that makes me uncomfy!), and it just kept. getting. worse.

you don't suddenly come out as the moral authority for finally recognising that you don't have to compromise with evil, when some of your closest friends ALREADY have. and even then, what is she actually gonna do? cos obviously she's not going to do anything final here, barring some truly evasive writing, she'll just walk this I'm loving Done moment back, that's been made clear with her opposition to hughie and butcher. it would just be more Work With The System poo poo under the regime of starlight.

get outta here annie with your silly nonsense

edit: for the record, i know this is all dumb. i just get into my shows.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Jun 25, 2022

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
before this ep, i thought they'd probably drag out homelander into s4 but now they've sort of popped the bubbly on the fight in ep 6 i think he might actually die, and i would prefer that outcome. then we can go in a different direction (maybe butcher, soldier boy, the evil we made ourselves that we can actually do something about) for the last 2, assuming this goes 5. think of it as a stringer bell type of role - definitive of the show, but not all there is to it.

i'm really excited to see the end of all of this but right now i'm dreading them putting together a frenchie, kimiko, starlight and MM team up after butcher hughie and soldier boy fail, using the power of non-violence and stalwart judgment against a force that doesn't care and will trample you without a thought.

i did skip frenchie's scenes this episode though so i don't know what's going on there. i'm sure he's about to tie back in but i doubt i need to watch him dealing with the mob before he gets there.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

grobbo posted:

But I did like the reflection across their two big monologues that their two apparently opposing positions are really the same: MM points out to Annie that black folks in the US are always being called upon to turn the other cheek and not fight dirty when faced with violence or oppression, because it'd be 'sinking to their level', which he rejects.

Annie, in a place of power and privilege within the system, points out to Neumann in a parallel monologue that she's *always* being called upon to get her hands dirty because it's seen as the only way to get anything done, which she rejects.

The arguments the characters are rejecting seem incompatible - one telling you to be more saintly, the other telling you to be more ruthlessly pragmatic, in order to make the world better - but that's the point; they're both being deployed cynically by agents of the status quo towards people in different circumstances to prevent them from working together effectively.

I just thought it was neat, and a nicely subtle reflection for the Show That Doesn't Do Subtlety.

On another note, Homelander's entrance and challenge to Soldier Boy basically rendered it moot, but I wondered if there were a few lines cut out of that hotel room scene. Soldier Boy seems incredibly compliant and content to go along with the plan, even though he's already proven that he's fully capable of finding his old team members like Crimson Countess without needing help from the internet, and it doesn't seem like the Twins' location was even particularly hidden.

His rant about complicated modern America would feed naturally into an opportunity for the Boys to persuade him that Homelander is a Nazi-loving, decadent creep who he can go and beat up to make things simple again, but instead we get 'you're not the only one who wants payback' and smash cut, mission accomplished.

Between that and not squaring up to MM, it just makes him seem like a very easygoing dude in certain scenes when the narrative also requires him to be barely under their control in others.

He’s been tortured by Russian scientists and left in a freezer for decades. I think SB just enjoys having people to hang out with.

Also when he asked them who this Homelander guy was he was kind of smiling a bit so I think he’d already decided from the pictures that this was a guy he might want to punch at some point anyway.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

roomtone posted:

this is the thing that makes me go come ON so much because starlights slam dunk response to this is basically just more social media posturing. you could've joined in on the fight and maybe tipped the scales there and put an end to all this but no, gotta tend to the wounded (most of whom are culpable anyway), even though it pales in comparison to the wounded lying ahead of us in this epic battle you refused to prevent. a million people are probably about to die and you're like, this guy got his knee broken by my boyfriend's stupidity and that's wrong.

'i'm done with the seven', well yeah you should have been in season 1, and numerous moments since then, but you kept choosing not to be cos 'maybe I can be the one to fix it! (and not do anything that makes me uncomfy!), and it just kept. getting. worse.

The obvious thing to do is that Starlight going public is being played as a big cliffhanger, then next week we find out that it changed literally nothing because nobody cares.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Jun 25, 2022

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Alchenar posted:

The obvois thing to do is that Starlight going public is being played as a big cliffhanger, then next week we find out that it changed literally nothing because nobody cares.

The #IBelieveStarlight hashtags imply the existence of a #DeppHomelanderDidNothingWrong tendancy

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

BIG HEADLINE posted:

New stupid question - what's the shield made out of?

My guess is Tungsten.

Or maybe it's made out of Uranium and that's why the prick is radioactive.

Just a huge piece off some historic bridge that would be neat.

Or

Comedy option if Hughie wasn’t on V at this point,it’s made out of plastic and he’s just a huge weakling.

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

:capitalism::dehumanize:

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Just a huge piece off some historic bridge that would be neat.

Or

Comedy option if Hughie wasn’t on V at this point,it’s made out of plastic and he’s just a huge weakling.

It's the second one. Hughie is actually a supe himself but his power is sucking so much that that he makes every task more difficult and everyone else cooler, better, and stronger.

It's really funny his V24 power is one that makes it easier for him to run away. He got powers like he wanted but he's still the weakest. Truly the loser king.

Noam Chomsky fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Jun 25, 2022

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Noam Chomsky posted:

It's the second one. Hughie is actually a supe himself but his power is sucking so much that that he makes every task more difficult and everyone else cooler, better, and stronger.

It's really funny his V24 power is one that makes it easier for him to run away. He got powers like he wanted but he's still the weakest. Truly the loser king.

It's like that classic tweet about including an average person in Olympic events so you can really appreciate how good the athletes are. Hughie is that guy in every episode. :v:

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It's like that classic tweet about including an average person in Olympic events so you can really appreciate how good the athletes are. Hughie is that guy in every episode. :v:

:perfect:

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

christmas boots posted:

Also when he asked them who this Homelander guy was he was kind of smiling a bit so I think he’d already decided from the pictures that this was a guy he might want to punch at some point anyway.

I really enjoyed the line, delivery and Homelander's reaction to "You're wearing a cape."

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Noam Chomsky posted:

Hughie is actually a supe himself but his power is sucking so much that that he makes every task more difficult and everyone else cooler, better, and stronger.

all my stuff aside, this is pretty funny

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Noam Chomsky posted:

And just to hammer on a point again, he's also got an incredibly useful power for... you know, evacuating people and getting them to safety so they don't get caught up in the crossfire between some super-powered assholes. Somebody even mentioned earlier that the downside - he hasn't figured out how to teleport clothes - wouldn't have even mattered because he was at an orgy!

Edit: I wonder what the downside of the Temp V is, aside from being addictive obviously. We see Hughie has blood in his ears at one point, but as far as I know Butcher hasn't shown any physical side-effects yet, just some hallucinations while he was coming down? I also wonder how much of those side effects are actually known or outright intended by Vought, I can easily see them tying down the military not just with temp superpowers for soldiers but the drugs they need to recover/survive extended use of it as well.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Jun 25, 2022

grobbo
May 29, 2014

christmas boots posted:

He’s been tortured by Russian scientists and left in a freezer for decades. I think SB just enjoys having people to hang out with.

Yeah, I guess that's my only point, really. I'd have preferred a bit of extra time with the character ahead of the big fight, to make that apparent mix of "scornfully amused rear end in a top hat jock who's content to hang out in an apartment and gripe about the future as he waits for his junk food and drugs to show up, before agreeing to team up with near-strangers to fight a bigger rear end in a top hat he saw on a bus" and "relentlessly driven, murderously single-minded radioactive force of vengeance who can't be controlled and trusts nobody" feel more coherent. (Cut out those Frenchie scenes instead, guys!)

Instead it's felt like SB has been switching between the two depending on the needs of a particular scene, which is a pity.

I'm sure they'll sharpen up his character if we're getting more time with him, but if he gets merked at the end of the season without a bit more development I'll be sorry. Ackles is too drat likeable to be a plot device.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

BlackIronHeart posted:

The missing piece for Hughie in his arc is that he doesn't realize that 'becoming a monster to rid the world of monsters' means you necessarily have to be destroyed or exiled too. Like, Godzilla doesn't get to just chill on a tropical island or hang with the humans somewhere after defeating the other monsters, he has to leave civilization or face destruction. I think Annie and MM understand this but Hughie doesn't and Butcher definitely doesn't give a poo poo.

No, Hughie absolutely understands it, he was 100% willing to die in the Soldier Boy chest blast in order to hold Homelander down and see it through, I cannot stress enough that Hughie’s participation in the Homelander fight is like the defining moment for his character in the entire series. He has “perfect” closure with Robin’s death, his storyline with A-Train is over, and he loves Annie but he knows he has a job to do. Butcher told him to leave in order to save him but he stayed to see it through, like a real hero.

Also don’t shortchange Hughie’s power as some kind of support & rescue class. You never saw the intro to X-Men 2? A Nightcrawler with full BAMF could be in and out of the Kremlin in 10 minutes with a triple digit body count. Imagine what Black Noir could do with that power!

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Jun 25, 2022

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Jerusalem posted:

Edit: I wonder what the downside of the Temp V is, aside from being addictive obviously. We see Hughie has blood in his ears at one point, but as far as I know Butcher hasn't shown any physical side-effects yet, just some hallucinations while he was coming down? I also wonder how much of those side effects are actually known or outright intended by Vought, I can easily see them tying down the military not just with temp superpowers for soldiers but the drugs they need to recover/survive extended use of it as well.

He's been puking bright green fluid, and having bouts of uncontrollable laser-eyes.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Noam Chomsky posted:

Didn't he punch a large hole into a Russian guard when they "rescued" SB?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Chamale posted:

He's been puking bright green fluid

The laser eyes I just thought was him struggling to control the powers the V unleashed, as opposed to a problem he's having once the powers wear off, but yeah how the hell did I forget the green puke? :doh:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Dodgy curry :colbert:

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
we're gonna get a lot of time with soldier boy i wouldn't worry about it overall

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Hugh is literally leaking green booger-slime out of his ears at Herogasm, compound V is dissolving their internal organs. It’s pretty clear that you only can Supe up a finite number of times before your body just turns into sludge.

Also, for anyone ITT too afraid to ask, Herogasm is basically what any normal sex party at a fancy AirB&B is like, pretty much exactly, even the sushi & caterers and the host of the event being a secretly huge creep. I don’t know what all the goons who were disappointed in it were expecting, it’s raunchier than the orgy scenes in Eyes Wide Shut. Like really, is there a more vulgar or erotic orgy scene elsewhere in television? I doubt it! It was a good scene and made me wistful for the pre-COVID days.

To be honest, the grossest thing at the orgy was the toilet camera, because you see a puckered butthole and the underside of a dude’s ballbag, unambiguously the silliest and grossest looking part of the human body, fully under-lit, in 4K HD.

I also appreciated that Blue Hawk was naked and super ripped during the conversation with Annie, that was a nice little touch for him before he got turned into road chili

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
“Looks like the lincoln tunnel” haha classic.

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

Sab669 posted:

Didn't he punch a large hole into a Russian guard when they "rescued" SB?

Yeah but all the super are super strong and durable. They're just not especially stronger and more durable in their weight class unless that's part of their powerset.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Bust Rodd posted:

Also, for anyone ITT too afraid to ask, Herogasm is basically what any normal sex party at a fancy AirB&B is like, pretty much exactly, even the sushi & caterers and the host of the event being a secretly huge creep.

I think in the comics, a lot of sex workers get killed by reckless use of super-strength. It's probably best that we didn't get shown that.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
In the comics it's like a secret island resort, all the heroes fake that they're going into space to fight some aliens (and they say the aliens have killed a bunch of heroes as a cover story for a team of heroes getting killed in a previous arc) while they're gone and it's generally just pretty much the same otherwise except it's 6 issues so lingers on stuff a lot more. I guess cause they don't have to worry about visual effects budget and stuff, there's just a lot more loving going on with weird powers. There was stuff that's only going on in the comics happening there as well but the story has diverged and is pretty different at this point.

Chamale posted:

I think in the comics, a lot of sex workers get killed by reckless use of super-strength. It's probably best that we didn't get shown that.

Body count seemed pretty bad in the show too though, they showed/mentioned that the normal folks present probably weren't having the best time and then a lot of them got blown up/injured.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I'm still loling at the dude who painted MM. Not for the scene itself so much as the elaborate backstory I built in my head of his overachiever parents giving him V as a child and patiently waiting for his superpower to emerge.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

To be honest, the grossest thing at the orgy was the toilet camera, because you see a puckered butthole and the underside of a dude’s ballbag, unambiguously the silliest and grossest looking part of the human body, fully under-lit, in 4K HD.

:yeah:

Who was the actor that was all put off and refused to be in the scene anyways?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It was supposedly Jensen Ackles but that seems to have been a case of meta-misdirection, unless we actually get a second “flashback” Herogasm that shows Soldier Boy in 1989 or something like that.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

I was reading a reddit thread about the last episode (yeah I know) and I did it. I found the worst unironic theorycrafting post, and because I had to read it now you all have to as well.

quote:

I honestly don't think that was him. I'm pretty sure it's another supe that's pretending to be his mirror image, loving up his mind since he was a kid. He might have even been hired by Vought originally to take a look into Homelander's mind and guide him since everyone has always been scared to get close to him.

:psyduck:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
That is very silly buts it’s closer to the actual plot of the comic books then the TV show is LoL

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
It is, indeed, closer to the ultimate twist of the comics... But said twist was stupid anyway.

In addition to robbing Homelander of his agency, it was also clear Ennis couldn't think of any other way of beating Homelander, since he'd made the classic mistake of making him too OP up to that point... So it was also a cheap deus ex machina.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
well that's loving gay

- soldier boy, AIM circa 1986

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Bust Rodd posted:

That is very silly buts it’s closer to the actual plot of the comic books then the TV show is LoL

drat the comics really do suck. I read like half of the first issue when season 1 of the TV show came out and couldn't read any more.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Bust Rodd posted:

Like really, is there a more vulgar or erotic orgy scene elsewhere in television?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dY8BSHVWGxk

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
am i the only one online right now?

for real?

shut hughie.

sure i like eddie murphy. he's funny!

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Jerusalem posted:

I thought about that but it didn't seem like quite the same situation, the other encounters involve super-powered people mocking the idea that Annie is capable of doing anything to them and her having to swallow her pride and back down, while the thing with Hughie was more an in-the-moment reaction to him trying to "correct" their power dynamic.

I'm waiting for/expecting the moment when she does the eye-glow, somebody (Homelander, maybe Soldier Boy) laughs at the notion and tells her to stop fronting, and instead of backing down she just unloads on them.

I figure having someone who can do light power stuff will come in handy in neutralizing Victoria, whenever that conflict comes to a head.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

I like that the Deep was awed when he realized he was at Herogasm and he just ended up going off to gently caress an octopus (again?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Bust Rodd posted:

It was supposedly Jensen Ackles but that seems to have been a case of meta-misdirection, unless we actually get a second “flashback” Herogasm that shows Soldier Boy in 1989 or something like that.

Was that directed at Herogasm in particular?
I can imagine that the script initially asked for a slightly more explicit/homophobic reaction towards the gay couple in the previous episode than smirking and shrugging it off and Ackles was not ok with it.