Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
that's always a crap shoot. My werewolf game ran for almost three years as a play by post and we survived a month off twice over winter holidays. We ended our first chronicle and moved onto a mage game and were supposed to start doing a rotating ST thing after every story. But right as my players uncovered the true nature of the big bad and were starting to put together a plan for taking it down, a bunch of video games and real life stuff hit all of us. I gave us a month break but trying to start back up just didn't take. Same players, same enthusiasm, same format.

The advice I can give is start writing up a cool recap that's no more than a few paragraphs. I had always always kept track fo clues found, questions unanswered, and the general goals of my players that I posted everytime we entered a new chapter or came back from a break. Stuff like that helped to keep things focused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Fuzz posted:

Anyone got any pointers on keeping the momentum and excitement at least in stasis during a break, or how to recap in a way that will rekindle things? This is an asynchronous pbp on discord.

Honestly, there's always going to be some momentum lost, but a big part of making sure a game survives that kind of break is just making sure your group continues to be a social group and having the game be something people want to play again when they're reminded of it. Like Soonmot said, it's a crapshoot but it's at least a crapshoot that should leave you with a group that's willing to play something.

And yeah, definitely aim for a recap that's relatively short, relatively direct and gives your party something to work with quickly. Discord logs mean making that kind of recap is a lot easier than it could be, so you have that going for you.

(Also, try to make sure everyone's posting more synchronously than usual when you do restart. It's just easier to get people excited when everyone's talking in the same digital room at the same time, y'know?)

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Soonmot posted:

that's always a crap shoot. My werewolf game ran for almost three years as a play by post and we survived a month off twice over winter holidays. We ended our first chronicle and moved onto a mage game and were supposed to start doing a rotating ST thing after every story. But right as my players uncovered the true nature of the big bad and were starting to put together a plan for taking it down, a bunch of video games and real life stuff hit all of us. I gave us a month break but trying to start back up just didn't take. Same players, same enthusiasm, same format.

The advice I can give is start writing up a cool recap that's no more than a few paragraphs. I had always always kept track fo clues found, questions unanswered, and the general goals of my players that I posted everytime we entered a new chapter or came back from a break. Stuff like that helped to keep things focused.

Never underestimate the power of the recap. The V5 game I've been running has had long gaps in playing because of scheduling, and every session I've done a recap covering the major notes of the last session/things I want the player thinking about that rolls into "And here's where we are tonight”.

It's been really helpful for me as the ST to set the tone for the session while also getting my player back up to speed.

Usually after a session has ended I'll write down the major plot bits of that session into my notebook so when I come back to write the next session I have the previous sessions major plot bits right at the top of the page to work from and it's made writing sessions/recaps so much easier.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
This isn't one of my recaps, but i never deleted the facebook group we were using for play by post and this is the file i kept updated with clues and goals and such. My players loved this as a reference document.

https://1drv.ms/b/s!AghVLzMOTtR_kQLcMLdyW-_hIGfF?e=TiH0F6

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Oh, I see the disconnect. When you use xp as a participation trophy, with no way to gain extra through individual merit or action, yes, I can see why you might think giving them new things to spend it on is unfair.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

TheCenturion posted:

Oh, I see the disconnect. When you use xp as a participation trophy, with no way to gain extra through individual merit or action, yes, I can see why you might think giving them new things to spend it on is unfair.

Well, in 2E games the participation trophy XP is the one free beat per player showing up. The rest is earned through individual merit and action, and placed in the same communal pool.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Better throw up those DPS meters so we know everyone's pulling their weight in the combat encounters next. No freeloaders at this table!

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Better throw up those DPS meters so we know everyone's pulling their weight in the combat encounters next. No freeloaders at this table!

Exactly why we need group beats. Some layabout who isn't bothering to fulfill aspirations or resolve conditions is just going to lag behind unless I impress on them that I'm counting on them, too!

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Ferrinus posted:

Exactly why we need group beats. Some layabout who isn't bothering to fulfill aspirations or resolve conditions is just going to lag behind unless I impress on them that I'm counting on them, too!
No, you should rely on social pressure, progression-based xp punishments, and visible disgust with their poor play to 'encourage' them to simply play better. Oops sorry I should've posted this on the Centurion account I'm trying to delete it

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Berkshire Hunts
Nov 5, 2009
cptn_dr how did your PC cabal get together? Just apprenticed under the same mage?

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
I've always let people respec their characters if they like for any game, usually for system mastery concerns (threw together something that didn't work very well) or even if they just got bored of it, or didn't like the playstyle, and have never had an issue with people abruptly switching characters to metagame whatever it is we're doing. It's sometimes fun to integrate it as a plot element in an ongoing campaign as well and helps everyone get invested in the change. Trust your players to not take advantage of it, and tell them "no" if you suspect they're doing some munchkin poo poo--seems way better than using an in-game system to resolve an out-of-game problem.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
see i fundamentally don't class "munchkin poo poo" together with player misbehavior in the first place. if there's a incentive to "win" through mechanics and system mastery then either there's supposed to be one and it's just gameplay, or there isn't supposed to be one and it's a design flaw

in particular a basic understanding of how extrinsic / intrinsic motivation works will tell you that making mechanical power the reward for good roleplay will not, in fact, promote good roleplay, especially not for its own sake: what it communicates is that mechanical power is what matters and playing your character to type is an obstacle you have to overcome to get it.

i suppose it's theoretically possible for someone to be so profoundly D&D-poisoned that they take an extremely goal-oriented, more actor-than-author approach to games that aren't constructed that way at all... but i've literally never seen it happen without perverse incentives at the system level, in years of running like a dozen different systems. the issue is that Storytelling / Storyteller, whether intentionally or naively, absolutely has those incentives.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jun 25, 2022

Pakxos
Mar 21, 2020

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

see i fundamentally don't class "munchkin poo poo" together with player misbehavior in the first place.

Kinda curious - I always thought 'munchkining' implied a willingness to break rules (like the guy who rolls and immediately grabs the dice if the number is too low) whereas the system mastery dude was a power gamer, technically staying within the rules without restoring to cheating.
Or is it a context thing?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

In my honest opinion, XP is second only to using dice in core design flubs that only stick around because Gary did it back in '74, and we should toss them right out. :colbert:

Berkshire Hunts
Nov 5, 2009

Siivola posted:

In my honest opinion, XP is second only to using dice in core design flubs that only stick around because Gary did it back in '74, and we should toss them right out. :colbert:

I’m a big fan of BRP or burning wheel style “skills get better as you use them” advancement but it’s hard to square with stuff like merits or powers that don’t get rolled

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Pakxos posted:

Kinda curious - I always thought 'munchkining' implied a willingness to break rules (like the guy who rolls and immediately grabs the dice if the number is too low) whereas the system mastery dude was a power gamer, technically staying within the rules without restoring to cheating.
Or is it a context thing?

I've always seen them used interchangeably, but yeah, to be clear, actual cheating is absolutely a player behavior issue. The system can't be blamed for attempts to circumvent the system entirely.

Siivola posted:

XP as a concept is fine, although I think it's often used unthinkingly. The key takeaway is the XP should be rewarded for things you want to be understood as obligations or putting yourself second, and anything you want your players chomping at the bit to do, first chance they get, should be framed as a reward.

Don't give your players XP for good roleplay in the sense of exercising in-character agency; give them XP for playing supporting cast for others at the table, or for having their character take a narrative fall, something like that. When they earn enough hand them a big narrative spotlight by fiat, let them temporarily dictate the direction of the story. And then maybe toss in some power progression on the side if you want, ideally something thematically related to whatever their big dramatic spotlight was.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jun 25, 2022

Gothic Rite
Dec 22, 2020

The visions of the elders were oracular, though in their terror they kenned not what they saw. When I triumph in this new combat, this unseen and still place beyond reason and closed eyes, what wonders of knowledge will be my plunder?
Only time I've really seen respec limits matter is in large-scale games like LARP/PbP where heavy PvP potential was involved. One system that worked okay was a single full respec within the first three months of play, though not splat/faction, just dots, and once taken you were locked in. I did witness some 'munchkin'-like behavior in that you'd occasionally see a non-combat character get in trouble and suddenly sprout like three Cel or Vigor, but that also gave newer players/characters a sort of aura of uncertainty which while not intended I was okay with.

For a more personal game, I tailor encounters and enemies on the fly all the time to the table, so I'm not scared of any perfect builds or what have you. I might keep an eye on scene-focus issues - so the same player isn't always Johnny-on-the-spot with everyone else feeling second fiddle, but adding more obstacles, mooks, or powers to keep things balanced or interesting is pretty trivial, regardless of the build. (For most lines anyway, maybe Mage is tougher.)

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jun 25, 2022

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

XP in White Wolf games is just ooc authority to edit your character; you can tell because you can spend the XP accrued after a session of combat to get your character a house. It's why HAVING XP means a lot more, socially, than spending it; you might want to play a precocious newcomer to a longrunning game precisely by banking rather than spending the same pool that everyone else has got.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
The fact that people are getting into a bitter argument instead of just pointing to Rule 0 is pretty amazing. Maybe this is why nobody ever actually plays these games.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

worm girl posted:

The fact that people are getting into a bitter argument instead of just pointing to Rule 0 is pretty amazing. Maybe this is why nobody ever actually plays these games.

I was thinking the same thing lol.

Oh god I'm about to initiate the dreaded Mage Chat but I'm slowly working my way through the first edition Ascension core right now for eventual review over in the F&F thread and today's reading yielded the infuriating character creation chapter and it's lovely "Free XP" table that is mostly trash options other than upping Arete because your Spheres are poo poo without it, but I don't actually know what the spheres do yet because that's in a later chapter because White Wolf book design is stupid.

I also love that there are not one, but TWO Goth wizards groups to play as! The death cult weirdos of the Euthantos and the straight up smoking cloves and nodding to Sisters of Mercy while wearing too much eyeliner Hollow Ones.

It's these bits of glorious nonsense that I love about this book, not so much the whole "Science Bad! 90's New Age Woo Good!" that is the plot of 1e.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

worm girl posted:

I think that's more a function of: There's zero discussion to be had if you just point to Rule 0, because it's the final hand-wave. And if people want to discuss, they'll do so rather than pulling the "shut down the conversation" lever.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Yeah, the question is, when should you apply Rule Zero and how?

Saman
Oct 23, 2008

Next, you'll say...
"What a good post!"

Honestly, I feel like the old regime of XP disparity across characters is an extremely corny thing to do these days, it's the sort of minor bullshit that wouldn't ordinarily matter until the guy who has the system mastery to be triggering beats or xp triggers consistently every session has categorically more power than the new guy who's still grappling with dicepool math and feels discouraged when they get to do one thing in a major scene and gently caress it up because they just don't have the tools to do whatever's at stake.

All this is to say that the idea of group XP being a participation trophy is extremely funny to me. Like yeah, I participated and triggered beat gains for myself, and now my buddy benefits too, and when he triggers something, I get a little something too. It even incentivizes people watching out for each other, pointing out when they'd earn XP from whatever given source may be relevant at the time. We all lift together at this table, bud! It's a collaborative story, doesn't it make sense to just make everything communal so that everyone gets the same shot at relevance in their chosen playstyle?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

joylessdivision posted:

I also love that there are not one, but TWO Goth wizards groups to play as! The death cult weirdos of the Euthantos and the straight up smoking cloves and nodding to Sisters of Mercy while wearing too much eyeliner Hollow Ones.

Well actually, only the Hollow Ones are goth wizards, the Euthanatos are more necromancers and death priests.
:goonsay:

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Soonmot posted:

Well actually, only the Hollow Ones are goth wizards, the Euthanatos are more necromancers and death priests.
:goonsay:

The Euthantos have Dance as foci. They are absolutely doing goth dances to Bauhaus. I will not be swayed :colbert:

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I think the type and depth of "gamification" in any given game is a spectrum, and could theoretically include xp cost for respecs, but it's an idea like any other that should be interrogated.

I would suggest that in the context of WoD/CoD and RPGs as systematized games, they are sufficiently divorced from any true sense of rigor—despite all the numbers and subsystems, particularly pre-V5—that's the reason the whole exercise is seen as faintly ridiculous. It's not impossible to have fun twisting the system around for maximum power, but I don't think it's terribly controversial to say that these games are at best generally kind of poorly designed, so most anti-shenanigans enforcement mechanisms to smooth over the rough spots must be social, unless you're doing a total, transformative ground-up rewrite.

I won't say it's categorically impossible for Centurion's game to benefit from their xp surcharge rule, but I would challenge them to deeply consider what exactly it does to add to the fun of these games.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
Believe it or not, some players enjoy the idea of choices and consequences. Others enjoy a sandbox. To each their own.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

XP as a concept is fine, although I think it's often used unthinkingly. The key takeaway is the XP should be rewarded for things you want to be understood as obligations or putting yourself second, and anything you want your players chomping at the bit to do, first chance they get, should be framed as a reward.

Don't give your players XP for good roleplay in the sense of exercising in-character agency; give them XP for playing supporting cast for others at the table, or for having their character take a narrative fall, something like that. When they earn enough hand them a big narrative spotlight by fiat, let them temporarily dictate the direction of the story. And then maybe toss in some power progression on the side if you want, ideally something thematically related to whatever their big dramatic spotlight was.

XP as a concept works fine, yeah. XP in the storyteller game systems has always been more personal than necessary. We started our Awakening game using group beats and that worked okay. Once we just started gaining XP and AXP at a standard and regular rate, we never had issues with people chasing the XP tick. Characters started taking better and more risks, we had more dramatic failures, and they became more complete and deep characters because of it.

I know that in the system beats/XP are supposed to be rewards, but I've never run into them being a reward for making the game better, just as something that's chased to make the character sheet better. All the Masquerade games I ever played in rarely had enough XP to actually use. 1e Requiem/Awakening/etc had a lot of the same problems with XP, but by then I would hand it out like candy and people could actually spend enough to advance in power levels. 2e Chronicles was the sweet spot for where the cost scaling got removed and people could regularly improve the character, and could even spend on skills, merits, and attributes without outright losing on the power scaling at the same time.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

TheCenturion posted:

Believe it or not, some players enjoy the idea of choices and consequences. Others enjoy a sandbox. To each their own.

First, there's a choice and consequence to a "free" respec. The choice is to have a different ability and the consequence is to lose your old ability. If you swap +Health for +Will Save you become easier to kill.

Second, there is no escaping the state of exception. Even if you have rigorous, clear, and punitive respec rules codified from the start - especially if they're punitive - you WILL get players being like, oops, I picked the wrong thing because I misread a sidebar or had to take a work call or just got dumped or whatever. Can I take it back? Like this isn't my character drawing on The Blood to transfigure their own Disciplines at a terrible cost to their ultimate capacity, I just want a take-back, a retcon, a rewind, please? And no amount of conservative rhetoric is going to solve this social problem for you.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Ferrinus posted:

Yeah, the question is, when should you apply Rule Zero and how?

If someone wants to change their sheet because their build sucks or they picked something they're not happy with, then let them. If they are trying to do it to gain some advantage, then either have a polite conversation with them about not being an rear end in a top hat or ask them to find another game. This is like the third or fourth oldest issue in gaming and it's absolutely a solved problem.

If you're designing for society play or some situation where there are more than a handful of players and you need to have rules in place that automatically account for bad behavior, then OK I guess but I assume we're discussing five friends at a table and not thirty strangers cosplaying at Denny's.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Jhet posted:

XP as a concept works fine, yeah. XP in the storyteller game systems has always been more personal than necessary. We started our Awakening game using group beats and that worked okay. Once we just started gaining XP and AXP at a standard and regular rate, we never had issues with people chasing the XP tick. Characters started taking better and more risks, we had more dramatic failures, and they became more complete and deep characters because of it.

I know that in the system beats/XP are supposed to be rewards, but I've never run into them being a reward for making the game better, just as something that's chased to make the character sheet better. All the Masquerade games I ever played in rarely had enough XP to actually use. 1e Requiem/Awakening/etc had a lot of the same problems with XP, but by then I would hand it out like candy and people could actually spend enough to advance in power levels. 2e Chronicles was the sweet spot for where the cost scaling got removed and people could regularly improve the character, and could even spend on skills, merits, and attributes without outright losing on the power scaling at the same time.

Arcane xp was such a great game system that I've used it for all the other lines too. It encourages the players to pump their mundane stats and backgrounds instead of just their disciplines. I also house ruled it that the power stat could only be increased with splat XP and only after they did something that I considered a tipping point for increased power.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Soonmot posted:

This isn't one of my recaps, but i never deleted the facebook group we were using for play by post and this is the file i kept updated with clues and goals and such. My players loved this as a reference document.

https://1drv.ms/b/s!AghVLzMOTtR_kQLcMLdyW-_hIGfF?e=TiH0F6

Reminds me of our V5 game's Relationship maps:

My guy's:

Miro is pretty rad.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Soonmot posted:

Arcane xp was such a great game system that I've used it for all the other lines too. It encourages the players to pump their mundane stats and backgrounds instead of just their disciplines. I also house ruled it that the power stat could only be increased with splat XP and only after they did something that I considered a tipping point for increased power.

Yeah, that would be a good move. I just ended up saying F it, go nuts. But the faster you get there, the bad guys will scale too. If I were trying to keep the power lid on only using AXP or VXP or whatever for the actual power stat is good. And making the special xp only useful for the magical side of things is a good idea too.

There are just so many toys to use, I want my players to be able to actually use enough of them that they don’t get bored and we either need to speed through story or skips parts or not even finish because they don’t feel like the character is changing and getting new things to play with.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
e; Not worth it.

TheCenturion fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jun 26, 2022

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I also tried to stress using the inherent powers the splats get, especially vampires. There's so much folks just don't use.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Soonmot posted:

In our mixed-splat game, we're doing an interesting thing where:
- The Mages accrue "group" arcane beats turning into "group" arcane XP whenever they hit 6 arcane beats
- I put "group" in quotes because for the non-mages, those arcane XP are just regular XP
- Everybody also accrues the normal group beats for group XP, at a 12 beats = 1 XP rate
- The Demon just gets Cover XP on their own because Cover XP isn't like. "good" or "useful" the same way and accrues far slower and more idiosyncratically so it's not like we notice it anyway

The end result is that we're all progressing at the same rate, even if the characters themselves have wildly different capabilities (Deviant who's a 28D Later rage zombie sometimes, 2 mages, 1 changeling, 1 sublimatus pandoran who really really wants to be a promethean one day, 1 demon). And we all have different areas of focus, in a way that roughly breaks down to outdoor kids (deviant, pandoran, changeling are all various flavors of combat monster) and indoor kids (the mages + demon basically spend combat or combat-adjacent sequences frantically trying to ping and scan every tool they could possibly use around them and then looking to get away before anyone notices they're there). It's been really cool so far, through 10 proper main sessions, 20something less-than-full-party variable-composition vignettes, and prologue sessions for each of us and a few combinations.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
What's your changeling doing to earn combat monster status? Aggressive damage from beast or elemental+ appropriate powers?

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Soonmot posted:

What's your changeling doing to earn combat monster status? Aggressive damage from beast or elemental+ appropriate powers?
Elemental Weapon, Elemental Warrior, Heavy Weapons Style, Red Revenge. Does having a huge claymore and stats for this put his initiative in the basement? Absolutely. Does he end a given turn by making sure the biggest target isn't taking a turn again? Also absolutely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

worm girl posted:

This is like the third or fourth oldest issue in gaming and it's absolutely a solved problem.
Funny how everybody keeps writing down solutions that are not this in their rulebooks.

Edit: I'm teasing, but I do actually think this is funny.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jun 26, 2022