Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

STONE COLD 64 posted:

he didnt. he was from the days in the dojo scouted as a main eventer and debuted into the main njpw roster right away alongside shinsuke nakamura and katsuyori shibata.

thats what i thought but i was confused by nak going to cmll later thanks bud

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Tanahashi's excursion was having to wrestle during the Inoki-ism era and told to be stoic and serious and he ended his excursion when Inoki sold and could actually show charisma in the ring

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Tanahashi's excursion was to the emergency room

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Ganso Bomb posted:

I thought he pissed his pants from fear?

McMahon 3:16 says he just pissed his pants

Which, by the way, is what Austin said in reaction to Vince pissing himself.

Which I believe he actually did. No squeezing some bag with a tube or anything, just straight pisssssss

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
and it STUNK

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Also in a way Tanahashi’s excursion was being the invader heel in DDT and NOAH (remember, he worked the GHC title match at Destiny! … which was third from the top, under Kobashi/Sasaki and the final Misawa/Kawada match, which, well, yeah I’d slot it there too), wrapped in his King of Sports flag and wearing the U-30 belt.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

got a question about tanahashi. he has a huge upper body and the rest is big but rather small in comparison, just like a frog. it's interesting considering his finishing move. did he do all of that on purpose?

i was thinking about it during these moments on aew dynamite. couldn't find a better image but somehow i don't believe it does him justice. is he frog-based? bullfrog type, presumably.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Cavauro posted:

got a question about tanahashi. he has a huge upper body and the rest is big but rather small in comparison, just like a frog. it's interesting considering his finishing move. did he do all of that on purpose?

i was thinking about it during these moments on aew dynamite. couldn't find a better image but somehow i don't believe it does him justice. is he frog-based? bullfrog type, presumably.

No sometimes you just got a big ol barrel chest like tana.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Tanahashi's excursion was to the emergency room

:drat: but true at the same time

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The Cameo posted:

Also in a way Tanahashi’s excursion was being the invader heel in DDT and NOAH (remember, he worked the GHC title match at Destiny! … which was third from the top, under Kobashi/Sasaki and the final Misawa/Kawada match, which, well, yeah I’d slot it there too), wrapped in his King of Sports flag and wearing the U-30 belt.

It's also the match that probably doomed Rikio's reign as being third from the top on a dome show and defending against Tanahashi when reports were NOAH wanted Nakamura and New Japan said no. NOAH's booking young talent on top bad is not a new thing!

Also the match is a window into a bizarre Alternate Universe Tana where he would of ended up being Goto if Inoki didn't end up selling

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Suplex Liberace posted:

No sometimes you just got a big ol barrel chest like tana.

.7 of a Kenta Kobashi

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Cavauro posted:

I didn't want to say anything because people would make fun of me but it's almost distracting.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

forbidden door 2 battle

Purple Monkey
May 5, 2014

:phone:Hello

Cavauro posted:

forbidden door 2 battle

That man is a living Rob Liefeld drawing

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Suplex Liberace posted:

where did Tanahashi go on excursion?

No true excursion but he also has the TNA stink on him from one trip in 2006 where he lost to AJ Styles on PPV, defeated Roderick Strong on whatever TNA's jobber show was, and then leaving; and a second stint where he was randomly tagging with Volador in a multi-team tag ladder match, a couple of house show matches against Dutt and someone else, and finally also randomly in a multi-person X-Division clusterfuck. Do note that at that point he had already been the IWGP Heavyweight champion twice.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

I want to say he was Champion when they brought him in against AJ, but I could be confusing the Heavyweight and U-30 belts

e: looking it up the U-30 Championship lineage was ridiculous. Tana was the first holder, had it for nearly two years. Then he dropped it to Nakamura who vacated it without a defence. Then Tana won a tournament to win it back, held it for another year, then vacated it. The title was then deactivated

SG Bamboo fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Jun 24, 2022

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Cavauro posted:

It's an upper body business kid

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Cavauro posted:

forbidden door 2 battle

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

drat lol

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

1glitch0 posted:

I didn't want to say anything because people would make fun of me but it's almost distracting.

There are a few NJPW wrestlers who do pec twitch battles before they get into the match proper. It’s awesome.

Man, why is Taichi not on this card? Probably because he can’t be bothered to fly.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Purple Monkey posted:

That man is a living Rob Liefeld drawing

No feet in the picture, so that tracks.

Needs more pouches and gritting 100 teeth though. Perhaps a glowing scar and a bunch of shadow lines pointing directly to a prominent crotch bulge.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Thanlis posted:

There are a few NJPW wrestlers who do pec twitch battles before they get into the match proper. It’s awesome.

Man, why is Taichi not on this card? Probably because he can’t be bothered to fly.
Hasn't worked in the US since 2004. Is currently streaming video games instead

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

flatluigi posted:

claudio's been one of my favorite wrestlers since i first saw him at the shield v wyatts elimination chamber back when i first started watching wrestling. what are people's favorite matches of his where he really gets to showcase how cool he is? i wanna watch a few of his matches given that people are buzzing about him potentially showing up at forbidden door but i'm not familiar with his indie stuff and all the wwe matches have blobbed together into a mass of 'boy he deserves better'

I can't remember the drat match, but there's a really awesome one with Claudio and Chris Hero vs. Colt Cabana and someone I can't remember that was not only great but also had a really hilarious jumping over the ropes duel between Colt and Hero.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I think Taichi just hates traveling in general. He worked only a couple dates in the UK and Mexico, and nothing in the US for over 15 years.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Benne posted:

I think Taichi just hates traveling in general. He worked only a couple dates in the UK and Mexico, and nothing in the US for over 15 years.

He did actually fly to the US for the Dallas G1 show. He just did the press conference and spent the rest of the time in Lance Archer's pool.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
in general any claudio match where he gets to be a platform for a smaller or flippy guy is going to fuckin own

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

My go to Claudio match is vs Eddie Kingston from CHIKARA Three Fisted Tales 2009, though I may be biased as it was the beginning of the BDK stroryline which had been building for years

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
I'm planning on purchasing a New Japan World account at the end of the month for the G1. I cancelled my subscription last December. Will Forbidden Door be on New Japan World in the next few weeks? Or will I have to purchase it through Fite? I'm not planning to watch it live because I'm working but I don't want to buy it on Fite if it's going to be available a week later on New Japan World.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Kosmo Gallion posted:

I'm planning on purchasing a New Japan World account at the end of the month for the G1. I cancelled my subscription last December. Will Forbidden Door be on New Japan World in the next few weeks? Or will I have to purchase it through Fite? I'm not planning to watch it live because I'm working but I don't want to buy it on Fite if it's going to be available a week later on New Japan World.

It's a Japan only PPV on NJPW World. We have no idea if it'll be uploaded later for subscribers, although judging by the fact TakaTaichiMania from January is still listed as a PPV on there I'd imagine not.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

mactheknife posted:

in general any claudio match where he gets to be a platform for a smaller or flippy guy is going to fuckin own

My favourite match of his from wwe is the gauntlet match that he was involved in against Daniel Brian. Was on a raw, and involved swagger and ryback, I think.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

here's a 2 part question:

1.) Why did The Rock wear those weird boots with the calves cut out

2.) Did anyone else wear those weird boots with the calves cut out or was that something only the Rock did

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

that was padding above the boot. the boot was a lot shorter than you think. it was a regular wrestling boot

no it wasn't. i just looked. i don't know what the gently caress that is. Why did he wear that

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Alaois posted:

here's a 2 part question:

1.) Why did The Rock wear those weird boots with the calves cut out

2.) Did anyone else wear those weird boots with the calves cut out or was that something only the Rock did

https://mobile.twitter.com/therock/status/980174467631431680

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

drat, thank you

The Science of Suck
Mar 17, 2009
been checking out wrestling again lately and have a few questions, thanks

holy poo poo penta and fenix are brothers?

why aren’t the Briscoes in aew?

are there any other important brothers news items i’ve missed since LU closed? (please, no anecdotes or similar. hard news only)

non-brothers related questions:

i swear i had some but apparently i’ve got brothers on the brain

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

The Science of Suck posted:

TV execs don't want Jay Briscoe's old homophobic comments to blow up and cause issues.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Yo, you're in for a treat, so hang on to your seat
Get ready for adventure and remarkable feats
You'll meet Koopa, the Troopas, the Princess, and the others
Hangin' with the plumbers, you'll be hooked on the brothers!

To the bridge!

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

been checking out wrestling again lately and have a few questions, thanks

holy poo poo penta and fenix are brothers?

are there any other important brothers news items i’ve missed since LU closed? (please, no anecdotes or similar. hard news only)

non-brothers related questions:

Yes Penta and Phoenix are actual brothers.

The Briscoes (previous but now denounced) homophobia and general good ol’ boys country presentation is pretty unpalatable to Time Warner but they’ve been working in Impact.

In other brother news, AEW has a lot of brother tag teams for you to check out

The Lucha Bros
The Young Bucks (current tag champs)
The Hardyz (Jeff currently suspended and in rehab for a DUI)
Top Flight (although Dante has mostly wrestled solo as Darius was injured, came back for a couple matches then got in a car accident)
The Gunn Club/rear end Boys (Billy Gunn’s sons)

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Hopefully one day the Yoga Monster returns and the Sydals can be reunited

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

The Renegade Twins are occasionally repping the sisters side of things.