Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

That's not even very much of an exaggeration. Here's a normal-bodied guy wearing the bottom half of his goalie gear.

(From the awesome show Shoresy)

Man Shoresy hasn't been working for me for some reason and I love Letterkenny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: The Vikings

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Endless Mike posted:

Man Shoresy hasn't been working for me for some reason and I love Letterkenny

It's kinda got that later season Letterkenny problem where people just basically keep repeating their catchphrases over and over, but it's still got a lot of charm and I'm just a sucker for hockey.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

Dustin still has the bookstore job and is actually performing his duties instead of sleeping? Maybe that customer will get him fired for being rude to him and not letting him eat.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days

--

Q-Rais Talks to Himself

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

holy poo poo a real joke

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

Samovar posted:

And... that's the end of this adventure! And... I also think I will be taking a break from uploading these for a while. Please note, this is not me saying I'm giving up - it's just that this story was the longest of the bunch, and I burned through my back-log doing it. As anyone else who does translation work for this thread will note, translation work is not easy... and this comic is pretty darn prolix.

I also need to check something about the publication date of certain adventures to make sure things are posted in the correct order.

I can't say when I'll start updating, but it shouldn't be too long from now. All I can say is Blueberry WILL return... same Bat-channel, but not same Bat-time.

Thank you for all you've posted, and take your time! You're a comics thread MVP

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Is Holbrook Pro or Anti-Union? Who Can Say.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Samovar posted:

And... that's the end of this adventure! And... I also think I will be taking a break from uploading these for a while. Please note, this is not me saying I'm giving up - it's just that this story was the longest of the bunch, and I burned through my back-log doing it. As anyone else who does translation work for this thread will note, translation work is not easy... and this comic is pretty darn prolix.

I also need to check something about the publication date of certain adventures to make sure things are posted in the correct order.

I can't say when I'll start updating, but it shouldn't be too long from now. All I can say is Blueberry WILL return... same Bat-channel, but not same Bat-time.

I was slow to come around on Blueberry, but now it’s one of my favorite things in the thread. Thanks for posting it, looking forward to more whenever the time is right.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Ballard Street

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Outbursts of Everett True June 24, 1919

And He Did! July 7, 1919

Cat Tales June 8, 1925

Oaky Doaks December 2, 1936

Mopsy February 10, 1938

Up Front June 18, 1945

Bootsie’s Big ‘50s

So It Seems August 22, 1952

Those Were the Days May 25, 1961

Wee Pals August 25, 1966

Dogbert June 14, 1967

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

Hooray, time for Part Two of my lecture on selkies!

Grampa Joe's version is a little simple, but he has the basic idea. Selkies need their seal pelts to live in the water; take the pelt, you take a hostage. Generally the story is that a man spies on a selkie in her human form, decides to take her as a wife, and steals her seal skin. The selkie will track down the thief, and agrees to marry him since she's stuck on land and has no options. As long as the man hides the pelt from his wife, she can't return to the water. Eventually they have kids, the selkie is a good mother and wife and seems vaguely content, but eventually she finds her skin and disappears to the ocean, never seen again. Meanwhile, the selkie's menfolk are looking for her, and they are angry. Her father, brothers, husband, sons, come out in force to harass boats, whip up rough waters, and scare fish away from fishermen. The female selkies gather up seaweed to withhold it from people for fertilizer and help drown sailors.

Sometimes a selkie will fall in love with a human, as all fairy folk do. She sets her pelt aside by choice, and stays on land with her human, mortal family until her husband dies, or she's bored of the human life. (Fairies often don't do well with human life stuff like "behaving in church" and "not abandoning your family," despite their best intentions.) Life is pretty good for the husband of a selkie who marries of her own free will: he doesn't incur their wrath, and if he's a fisherman or sailor, his in-laws offer their protection on the water and might guide him to good fishing grounds. Mama Selkie sometimes hangs around her descendants after she's returned to the ocean; there are stories here and there of men chatting with their selkie great granny, she in the water and he on his boat.

Whatever the circumstances of her marriage, selkies are loving mothers to her half-human babies; at worst, she'll be a little negligent and it's best to have a good support network of humans to help when the children are young. (They don't remain helpless infants or vulnerable toddlers for very long, so some selkies don't quite understand human babies.) The children inherit their mother's fondness for swimming; some also inherit parts of her seal form, such as pelt-like body hair or webbed toes.

The Seal Woman is a common story in folklore of Arctic and sub-Arctic peoples. There are some variations, but the woman is always a large sea mammal, always requires her pelt to live in the water, and pretty much always marries unwillingly. I haven't read any versions about male selkies marrying human women

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Our Boarding House (April 24-26, 1922)

Toonerville Folks (July 10-12, 1919)

Dok's Dippy Keystone Kops Knockoff (March 22, 1914)

Little Lefty (November 26-29, 1936)

Blondie From Zero (May 16-18, 1932)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1980 comics

Locher Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

:discourse:

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Any last guesses? I believe the current standing is one guess for Stuart's Mom.

Popcom

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Darthemed posted:

I'm going with he sent them to himself so everyone thinks he's a special boy.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

what was the name of the barista that dumped cooper who kinda looks like marla?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

what was the name of the barista that dumped cooper who kinda looks like marla?

Didn't they drift apart and then he accidentally called her Val?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I'll be the first to admit I don't know a lot about Boondocks history, political talk from the characters aside, but when they aren't talking politics they just kinda seem like... assholes. Yes, assault the mall Santa, he's not just a dude working for a paycheck to get by same as everyone else, he's totally in on the capitalism orgy.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Selachian posted:

Get Fuzzy 6/23/02

I like Get Fuzzy a lot but I kind of don't like these ones that end with Satchel just going "Ha ha you sure did get one over on Bucky!" It doesn't really add anything to the joke, and while I know that Satchel's character is being kind of dumb it still kind of hurts the punchline. Even if it's on purpose as some sort of meta thing, it's still bad, like if a guy doing standup explains the punchline to the joke and then says "I'm doing it to show how bad explaining punchlines is!" like, so what, it's still bad and annoying.

Again not saying Get Fuzzy is bad, I really do like it, just not a fan of this particular thing the strip does.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I'll be the first to admit I don't know a lot about Boondocks history, political talk from the characters aside, but when they aren't talking politics they just kinda seem like... assholes. Yes, assault the mall Santa, he's not just a dude working for a paycheck to get by same as everyone else, he's totally in on the capitalism orgy.

Well the kid doing the assaulting in this strip is Riley, who's the "thug life" brother of Huey and doesn't care about politics or capitalism or anything, he just wants to be a badass dude that everyone else fears and respects.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Twelve by Pies posted:

I like Get Fuzzy a lot but I kind of don't like these ones that end with Satchel just going "Ha ha you sure did get one over on Bucky!" It doesn't really add anything to the joke, and while I know that Satchel's character is being kind of dumb it still kind of hurts the punchline. Even if it's on purpose as some sort of meta thing, it's still bad, like if a guy doing standup explains the punchline to the joke and then says "I'm doing it to show how bad explaining punchlines is!" like, so what, it's still bad and annoying.

Again not saying Get Fuzzy is bad, I really do like it, just not a fan of this particular thing the strip does.

Well the kid doing the assaulting in this strip is Riley, who's the "thug life" brother of Huey and doesn't care about politics or capitalism or anything, he just wants to be a badass dude that everyone else fears and respects.

its more like he still believes in santa and the punk bitch didnt get him a player station II the year before or something like that.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (July 18, 2000)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Oh gently caress you Holbrook

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

riderchop posted:

Monty

Safe Havens

Monty's approach to humanized animals is much better.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Darthemed posted:

He's gay and this is his boyfriend.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

"They're from the esteemed Nunya Dam Biznis. Now please excuse me, I forgot I had a meeting with HR."

ZeeToo posted:

He's gay and this is his boyfriend.
this has my bet, also.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
My guess is "Stuart will subtly change the arrangement so that he only has to tell what he knows about the person who's sending the bouquets, then reveal he doesn't know who it is after Marla agrees to work his shift."

Either that, or "Stuart is wrong about who is sending them."

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Haifisch posted:

1980 comics

Of course! Dr. Morgan is supplying Joey and Sara with drugs!

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Leave it to Ed to complain about the quality of fortune cookies.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Potsticker posted:

Exactly this

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Potsticker posted:

Wasn't her name Darla (you know, like Marla)?

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 6/24/02

Stephen Collins

NCT is a British charity that offers classes, supplies, and other assistance for new parents.

Branda Stairr 1/2/49

Smokey Stover 9/12/48

Everyday Movies 4/20/35

"I tell you, Hattie, pictures do more to me than anything I know."

This looks like a rerun from 1934, based on the corner date -- the First Municipal Art Exhibition was held in the RCA Building (now known as 30 Rock) in early 1934.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jun 25, 2022

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Peanuts (June 28, 1975)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

A big round of applause for the banker's daughter, everybody! Whose name is apparently "Daughter".

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (January 25, 1939)

Out Our Way (March 6-8, 1939)

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?