Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

some minis ship with multiple bits, either alternate poses/faces or just spares to even out the weight on the sprue.
personally, i hate double priming because I think the detail gets lost under all that paint. I say just go for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

there is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist
Just played a game using the new challenger restrictions. My affiliation was Midnight Sons, on reflection I didn't love the tactics card options I had after taking character specific and affiliate cards. Indomitable or Brace feels like an auto include still. I tried out Mission Objective but it just never came up. The whole team are great objective holders (except Wong) so passing is a bit redundant. I have 3 slots in this roster that are available. Currently they are filled by Indomitable, Disarm and the aforementioned Mission Objective. I am currently thinking of swapping in No Matter The Cost. Anyone else played since the changes? Curious to hear what people think. Tried Iron Fist for the first time, he is extremely fun to pilot.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
Mission Objective is good for when you're going to lose an objective due to getting Dazed or KO'ed. you can pass it away to another model within R2

it's also a good card to have during Deadly Legacy Virus Cured? so you can form the tri-force and end the game

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

One thing I’m doing after the changes is looking more closely at splashes that basically come with a card. Venom is a good example of a character that’s obviously powerful, but feels like you can’t leave out his card. Similarly, I had filtered both Hood’s Gang and The Grand Illusion out of my CS list, but it’s time to give them another go.

Apocron posted:

Thanks for the recommendations!

They just arrived and while they seem reasonably well assembled (there were a few plastic bits in the box which could be missing parts but on cursory inspection all the characters looked complete) the base coat he sprayed on seems to unevenly coat the models. I’m wondering if I should just roll with it and try painting or buy a spray can and try and get it even myself? Seems like he used Citadel Colour Wraith Bone. I’ll repost the pic I shared before if anyone could give some advice.

An uneven coat of primer is generally better than a thick coat. My recommendation is to paint a model and you can always re-prime them if it goes poorly.

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

there is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist
Can't share from my phone but Crimson Dynamos card is up. I will share it once I'm back home if its not here by then.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.

Hoboskins posted:

Can't share from my phone but Crimson Dynamos card is up. I will share it once I'm back home if its not here by then.

There you go! :)

Pretty decent 4 threat-er, and a solid Leadership.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

every character should have the "focus" ability on Wong and Dynamo, at the very least there should be "Action: Gain 1*" as a basic game action CMV

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Shrecknet posted:

every character should have the "focus" ability on Wong and Dynamo, at the very least there should be "Action: Gain 1*" as a basic game action CMV

I wouldn't mind this, although action economy is so tight that I don't know that I would ever take it.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I wouldn't mind this, although action economy is so tight that I don't know that I would ever take it.
it happens :shrug:
especially when you have to move to be in position for next turn and don't want to fire off a builder at someone you can't down and don't want to feed 1-3 energy (Wolverine for example)

or when, like I had tonight, an elektra that dazed the only opponent near her and didn't want to chase down a meaningless Gabby

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

It would be decent round 1 when you’re moving onto home points and B points, and when you’re just sitting on far points with Bullseye or Lizard, but otherwise yeah not much.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Finally found a patreon/webstore for MCP models for those with a printer.

https://c27studios.gumroad.com/

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

goodness posted:

Finally found a patreon/webstore for MCP models for those with a printer.

https://c27studios.gumroad.com/

There's a couple patreons putting out MCP content (Trident, Skullforge, Legion). This site does a surprisingly nice job cataloging all the options

https://altcrisisprotocolmodels.wordpress.com/

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

CaptCommy posted:

There's a couple patreons putting out MCP content (Trident, Skullforge, Legion). This site does a surprisingly nice job cataloging all the options

https://altcrisisprotocolmodels.wordpress.com/

Looked for Alpha Flight, found Alpha Flight. Hell yeah.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
I'm Hot Wings https://altcrisisprotocolmodels.wordpress.com/2022/03/02/hot-wings/

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

This model is cool but the thought of cleaning up and painting all the fire makes me want to end it all.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

FYI if you don't have a printer you can usually also find a lot of those on Etsy---bit of a pain to find which sellers are actually good at their job of printing and cleaning with decent material but I've used StudioPonch and ModestMinis before, when my Magik sculpt got totalled in an accident and I got a Trident proxy from StudioPonch that might be better than the original.

I'd say there's a 50/50 on which models look better than official CP ones / ones that look awkward and worse. Stuff like the C27 Storm is 100% better than the dreadfully boring AMG one.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Ok, so now I need to know which character cards to use for my Spiderverse proxies of Peni Parker and Spider-Man Noir. I guess if I want to stay in-faction Venom is the only 50mm base, and maybe Dare Devil for Noir? If I'm willing to go out of faction any suggestions? Because both of these look great:

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
Hulkbuster for peni, especially if you can get a small base peni without the robot for the flipside.

Black Cat or Moon knight could work for Noir

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Hulkbuster for Peni is an amazing idea, although the print is for a 50mm base and Hulkbuster is 65mm. I could rebase it without it being a huge issue, or possibly scale up the print? I don't know how well that works (I would need to remove the upscaled Peni, but that's fine if I was putting a separate one on a 35mm anyway).

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

That Peni model looks big enough that I don't think it would look out of place on the big base.

edit: oh, is the base integrated? Can you print it without?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I think the base is integrated, just based on a few actual prints of the other figures I've seen. I don't know how hard it would be to print without it, or to alter it before printing, because I know very little about 3D printing stuff! I suppose in a pinch you could just print it and then expand/replace the base with old-fashioned methods. I am going to have to figure out where to get it printed so maybe whoever does that can help.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I actually asked one of the sellers and they say the base is a separate piece, so I'm in business!

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

The tuxedo Moon Knight is amazing. I am thing to get a friend to print it. I also wanted the single female lawyer She-Hulk 5 usd is decent for the stl.

Been trying lots of ways to get a mostly pure Inhumans list to work. I'm finding the lack of solid 3 threat, no frills type characters (thinking dr oc, lukecage, lizard etc.) make it tough not to splash heavily. Which in turn negates the bonuses from their tactics cards. That and Blackbolt is a cool concept but I think I would prefer he was less powerful injured and more useful for the whole game. I feel like he needs a tweak to be worth 5. My newest solution has been to run Dual A-force/Inhumans to cover my bad match ups. So far it seems to be a good idea. A-force also has two excellent tactics cards. Not sold on their third. The defensive die bonus one.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

:eng101: If you just cut the rest of the pretty-mopey Inhumans and just keep the one amazing one (Medusa), you can replace the rest of those slots with badass ladies and just run pure A-Force.

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

I had considered it haha. I have been playing against people who run dual affiliation lists and it makes roster building really tricky. Especially ones where they have so much crossover they can just flip leaders and it completely changes how I have to play. This is probably the most egregious with Criminals. Fisk being in cabal, syndicate and spider foes makes for some really tough choices since each of these affiliation have completely different games. Teching for Goblin only to find out I'm playing crims has completely ruined me more than once.

Edit: Medusa should be the leader of the inhumans she is the best! right after lockjaw.

Hoboskins fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jun 29, 2022

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I've been hearing some love for Crystal lately, especially paired with Shadowland Daredevil to give you more chances to hit conditions. Dropping stuns and incinerates with some regularity helps out an attrition team a lot.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Making some progress on my core box:

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

Nice work! especially on these earlier sculpts the details aren't really crisp.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Just finished this absolute unit

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

If only there was some way to know who that is.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

admanb posted:

If only there was some way to know who that is.
:itjb:

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Never cared for the modern "guy with a tanktop and camos" Punisher that was in the set so decided to sculpt his collar higher and swap in his wimpy grenade arm with a more suitable shotgun, and went with his classic suit with a bigger skull (and lots of blood.)

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Painted Ms. Marvel because the show is p good and she seems great with Sam Wilson:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Looks good! I like the base detailing, the little grass additions are a nice contrast. I just picked her up as well, did not appreciate how big Embiggened was until I assembled the set. I'm going to try using her with the Web Warriors.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

never thought of doing grass patches poking from the sidewalks, totally stealing that. Little Kamala is tough to do so I like the heavy edges you went with, gives it a great comic book feel

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Yeah, that black lining really works for the model.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Thanks all. The grass doesn't really make any logical sense, but those bases desperately need more color. Also I blackline all my models but yeah it really pops on models like this one.

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

I literally came to write I like the grass patches too haha. Plenty of footpaths have grass growing up through the cracks and it differentiates the bases a little. I know normal size Kamala's pose is iconic but drat is it boring, they could have done a lot with it. I have been speculating with friends about why Redskull hasn't gone up for pre-order yet I am assuming it will happen after they have the mini-stravaganza since now they are having a Hydra vs Avengers game on the stream. Hopefully it isn't a production or shipping issue.

I will be curious to see what they do with affiliations (When Hydra gets released). Cabal kind of looks like a place holder affiliation and a dumping ground for models like Ultron. If you go by comic lore Normon Osbourne is the actual leader/creator from what I am told. I do like that they are thinking about balance though. Rogue should be in A-Force but I think they have excluded her from the affiliation for balance reasons.

My friend is playing in one of the current TTS leagues here are some stats for those interested. https://public.tableau.com/app/profile/brad.adams/viz/MCPTTSSeason8RosterStats/AffiliationTreeMap
I want to know why 2 people splashed Blackbolt out of affiliation.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Hoboskins posted:

I literally came to write I like the grass patches too haha. Plenty of footpaths have grass growing up through the cracks and it differentiates the bases a little. I know normal size Kamala's pose is iconic but drat is it boring, they could have done a lot with it. I have been speculating with friends about why Redskull hasn't gone up for pre-order yet I am assuming it will happen after they have the mini-stravaganza since now they are having a Hydra vs Avengers game on the stream. Hopefully it isn't a production or shipping issue.

I will be curious to see what they do with affiliations (When Hydra gets released). Cabal kind of looks like a place holder affiliation and a dumping ground for models like Ultron. If you go by comic lore Normon Osbourne is the actual leader/creator from what I am told. I do like that they are thinking about balance though. Rogue should be in A-Force but I think they have excluded her from the affiliation for balance reasons.

My friend is playing in one of the current TTS leagues here are some stats for those interested. https://public.tableau.com/app/profile/brad.adams/viz/MCPTTSSeason8RosterStats/AffiliationTreeMap
I want to know why 2 people splashed Blackbolt out of affiliation.

ngl I would give strong odds they were trying for Black Cat but missed and didn't notice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.

admanb posted:

ngl I would give strong odds they were trying for Black Cat but missed and didn't notice.

Bolt can be a real bastard when played right. He's not as brutish as alot of other 5 threat'ers, but I've seen Careless Whisper Daze/KO 3 characters in a single go, and that was massive play.