Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
sure it did.

1. I can't imagine the ukrainian -russian conflict without Biden going full-cold warrior, instead of Russian collaborator trump.
2. stimulus of 2020 happened.

these wouldn't have happened without voting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

shades of eternity posted:

So what are you going to do about it?

i'm going to give all my money to nancy pelosi

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

sure it did.

1. I can't imagine the ukrainian -russian conflict without Biden going full-cold warrior, instead of Russian collaborator trump.

Are you arguing in favor of re-electing Trump?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

sure it did.

I'm getting mixed messages here because the 2020 stimulus checks happened under Trump.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Rigel posted:

When 48 Democrats want to do something, a couple other stupid Senators refuse and would rather sit and do nothing, there is absolutely no way whatsoever to pressure them into giving in, then how would a person who is smart and educated argue that this then means that all 50 are against doing something?

Oh! I know this one! We’re supposed to kick Manchin and Sinema out of the party, so that in addition to not getting the thing we want, we can also not not control any committees and have Mitch McConnell back in charge of the senate calendar.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
I honestly don't follow...explain?

edit: gah, called it the wrong thing.

I was refering to this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Rescue_Plan_Act_of_2021

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Lots of people are replying to me "we shoot and imprison and put people in concentration camps now with electoral politics, therefore what's the difference?"

The difference is either we do electoral politics or we have a civil war, pick your poison.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

I honestly don't follow...explain?

edit: gah, called it the wrong thing.

I was refering to this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Rescue_Plan_Act_of_2021

Voting also led to the Democrats ending the enhanced unemployment and ending the eviction moratorium. Voting also led to Democrats discouraging refugees from coming to the US. It also led to a president killing an American child with a drone strike.

Twincityhacker posted:

Lots of people are replying to me "we shoot and imprison and put people in concentration camps now with electoral politics, therefore what's the difference?"

The difference is either we do electoral politics or we have a civil war, pick your poison.

Since you didn't refute or even attempt to refute the "we shoot and imprison and put people in concentration camps now with electoral politics, therefore what's the difference?" your second sentence comes off as if it's better to shoot, imprison, and put people in concentration camps than having a civil war. Is it the lesser evil to have some people suffer so that others can live comfortably?

theCalamity fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jun 25, 2022

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

double post

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

This is a thing already I think.

Yeah, someone else posted a link.

It honestly surprised me because I thought it was such a weird out of the box idea and that I was being an idiot.

Again.

Have Some Flowers! posted:

The end of public education, Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security, NLRA protections for forming unions, anti-discrimination laws, child labor laws, minimum wage, protections for national parks and other public lands. The EPA, the FDA, the CDC, the Consumer Federal Protection Bureau.

A complete democratic collapse could also see key amendments repealed. Welcome back poll taxes and say goodbye to the income tax (unless they want to keep it once they have control of every office in every branch). Say hello to President DeSantis For Life with the repeal of the 22nd.

It could be (and get) so much worse. The Democratic party is at least a speed bump, and there is no action you could personally do in just 2 hours of direct action with as much benefit as voting blue once a year. It is literally the least you can do, and it has some of the highest benefits for the time you spend, and that's even assuming your vote is being thrown away to a completely toothless Democratic party.

This is how I'm feeling more and more and agree with just about all this. The future I see is akin to basically everyone being and Amazon warehouse worker where everyone is wearing a diaper because they never get bathroom breaks. Health insurance is essentially useless because of high deductibles and you get demerits for taking time off to even see a doctor, people work so many hours with so little contact with the news (assuming the new is even vetted and accurate) that they know very little about issues and even they're inclined to get involved simply do not have the time. Good luck finding time to go to school to get a slightly bigger paycheck. Or even being able to afford higher education of any sort.

If you have a kid, a commute, a full time job and anything even slightly resembling a health problem, your free time is astonishingly small. In a cell phone driven world where more and more companies deny access to devices of any sort during work hours and you get, at best, two 20 minute breaks and a half hour lunch to catch up on 50 text messages, phone calls and emails (many of which are spam, cons or FROM YOUR JOB), good loving luck tending to that or hashing out a conversation with a doctor, insurance company, bank, mechanic, pest control guy, cable company, airline, accountant, car dealership, lawyer, a spouse or anything that needs your attention during regular work hours.

I LOVE taking my 10 minute break and dealing with 22 text messages and emails or trying to reach my shrink. Break over.

"They" want or require everyone to be so busy, overwhelmed, uneducated and under informed that "they" can sort out and control the rules in backrooms, during long lunches, ski trips and on golf courses while the rest of us toil in the mines. Not working is not an option. Working for yourself is BARELY an option. Unions? Lol.

Having everything in your pocket and done through your phone doesn't do anyone any good and isn't convenient if you're not allowed to use it 8 hours a day and don't text and drive.

Sorry for the :words:

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Twincityhacker posted:

There's a quote that I can't find the source for but it goes something like

When republicans feel voting won't get them what they want they will abandon democracy

They have already abandoned democracy and the civil war is almost baked in at this point. The only way to avoid it would be to abandon the filibuster and pass massive voting protection laws. When the fascists take federal power they will only consolidate it even more, and feel more brazen about breaking with public opinion.

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Hey, I've got Navigate...

Gripweed posted:

Have any Senate Democrats suggested impeaching justices for lying during confirmation hearings?
It's been discussed in political circles but people seem to feel like their answers were craftily evasive enough where perjury wouldn't stick.

I still think hauling the justices in front of the public court of opinion on that stuff could be worth it even if perjury wouldn't fly, and I think the standard for impeachment could easily be 'misleading' rather than outright perjury - after all, a supreme court justice should be supremely capable at communicating their thoughts without ambiguity or nuance, or leaving tons of room for interpretation.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I feel like the civil war has basically already started. Human rights have just been denied to half of this country and those who protest are having tear gas canisters shot at them. It only gets worse from here.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I feel like the civil war has basically already started. Human rights have just been denied to half of this country and those who protest are having tear gas canisters shot at them. It only gets worse from here.

It's very much a cold civil war, but it is predominantly being waged on the poor and non white communities. The fascists know they can exclude the wealthy and white for the most part and they won't do anything to upset the status quo.

https://twitter.com/HeerJeet/status/1540733524315148289

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

BiggerBoat posted:

In a cell phone driven world where more and more companies deny access to devices of any sort during work hours and you get, at best, two 20 minute breaks and a half hour lunch to catch up on 50 text messages, phone calls and emails (many of which are spam, cons or FROM YOUR JOB), good loving luck tending to that or hashing out a conversation with a doctor, insurance company, bank, mechanic, pest control guy, cable company, airline, accountant, car dealership, lawyer, a spouse or anything that needs your attention during regular work hours.

What? What is this sort of company town bullshit? Any company demanding that here would have their offices set on fire within hours lol

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Hi goons - saw some discussion of What Might Have Been In 2016 in the SCOTUS thread in the aftermath of yesterday’s ruling, and now I’m looking for the definitive/best possible accounts of What The Hillary Campaign Did Wrong. I have a long incoherent mental list of reasons, but no real clear-headed retrospective analysis.

Articles, books, or links to your favorite past effort posts are most welcome; not looking to derail the thread (unless someone wants to make a serious effort post breaking it all down). Anything from nitty-gritty campaign details to bigger picture political strategy pieces would be much appreciated.

Combed Thunderclap fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jun 25, 2022

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Combed Thunderclap posted:

Hi goons - saw some discussion of What Might Have Been In 2016 in the SCOTUS thread in the aftermath of yesterday’s ruling, and now I’m looking for the definitive/best possible accounts of What The Hillary Campaign Did Wrong. I have a long incoherent mental list of reasons, but no real clear-headed retrospective analysis.

Articles, books, or links to your favorite past effort posts are most welcome; not looking to derail the thread (unless someone wants to make a serious effort post breaking it all down).

Pied Piper strategy was a truly galaxy brained decision

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

; not looking to derail the thread
like asking the sun not to rise

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

...Why are people in this thread gagging for a civil war that the left would lose in?

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

DarkCrawler posted:

What? What is this sort of company town bullshit? Any company demanding that here would have their offices set on fire within hours lol

I don't think you fully appreciate how cowed Americans are. Why we're cowed is up for debate though.

But yeah, this is the norm in a lot of jobs, and as surveillance tech gets better the rules get more strict.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Articles, books, or links to your favorite past effort posts are most welcome; not looking to derail the thread (unless someone wants to make a serious effort post breaking it all down). Anything from nitty-gritty campaign details to bigger picture political strategy pieces would be much appreciated.

The book “Shattered: Inside Hillary Clinton’s Doomed Campaign” is a pretty comprehensive but easily digestible account of everything that went wrong. Quick read.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Twincityhacker posted:

...Why are people in this thread gagging for a civil war that the left would lose in?

It’s arguably happening right now and has perhaps been going on for some time. I don’t think anybody wants it. Maybe some people are imagining an ultimate resolution that allows for something new to replace the same old same old we’re running up against now. It wouldn’t be like battles between armies but more like a slow breakdown of institutions as things get worse and worse and fixing them becomes untenable, if there are relatively recent analogues for that.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Twincityhacker posted:

Because it seems like it is going to happen or at least that it has some potential for it happening. The better option is to be aware of the potential for bad things to happen and to try and mitigate things. It isn't looking forward to it, it is being aware of it.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Seems like bringing that up couldn't do anything BUT derail the thread. Is there some kind of purgatory hellthread where that discussion can live forever? I actually think it's an interesting topic to discuss but not in any thread about anything else.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Twincityhacker posted:

I'm not gagging for a civil war but I do think it's important that people think now about what their redlines are because not having them is one of the ways well meaning liberals get lead into fascism. We should think about that now before things get worse so that you're prepared if they do. If you always prioritize peace you'll just get a peaceful death when things get worse.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Yes it has survived literally being massacred. However 1) I think there's no guarantee it survives literal massacres again and 2) I would prefer the far right not get to do what they want to do the left, which is a lot worse than merely make things illegal. Just a week ago people in this thread were saying that leftist organization has been impossible to gain traction with because police killings and other violence were so disruptive and discouraging. Currently they're targeted primarily by local cops and far right 'vigilantes' or militia idiots how is that going to work when it's the full might of the federal government?

Like I said, the revived labor movement (which, yes, still has a way to go before it's as powerful as it was in the 60s, but the tide is turning) isn't a guaranteed way forward; it just strikes me as a much more promising way forward for progressives and leftists than making the continued support of the Dems our primary focus.

DarkCrawler posted:

I'm just not seeing any of this. If the left can't organize in a disciplined way in electoralism, or be ruthless enough to utilize tactics and rhetoric that win there, how are they going to do it in something that is much harder? It's going to require far more dedication from each participant top and bottom, far more sacrifices and be far more distruptive and oppositional to those who aren't left.

What, exactly, does "organize in a disciplined way in electoralism" mean, exactly? Win rigged elections when we're already far from a majority of the country's voting population anyway? Why would they be "disciplined" in that, when a lot of leftists don't particularly believe in it? Yes, it's going to take a lot of discipline and hard work for everyone from top to bottom to make it work, but hard times can create a steely resolve in workers and revolutionaries. We're going through hard times now, and they're only going to get harder, and workers are only going to become more and more willing to go on strike, walk out, protest, riot, and disrupt as their bosses continue to exploit them. It's going to be a long struggle, but I think it has a chance of succeeding. You're free to disagree.

quote:

And either way, there has to be some electoralism for those aims to be reflected in law - it's not like the past worker's movements did not participate in politics, pretty much the opposite in fact.

Right, but I don't think I've once suggested that the left shouldn't participate in electoral politics - just not make it their primary focus.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Hey, I've got Navigate...
Given that we can't even convince some members on our side that 2 hours of their time once a year voting is a worthwhile effort, not sure how anyone thinks we'd be able to compete with the nutters that are drilling with firearms every weekend and spending hours every week harassing school boards and town halls.

Our side folds when a vote doesn't go our way, their side folds only once we're all gone and our values are erased from history.

They hate their elected officials too (see the recent harassment of Dan Crenshaw by his own party) but they still vote for them, as a means to an end. And after they cast that vote, they go right back to the insane direct action stuff they know generates results, too.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
The importance of an election is insignificant when your only options are the party that makes bad things happen and the party the lets bad things happen.

Doctor Yiff
Jan 2, 2008

Twincityhacker posted:

Saying "electoral politics is not producing democratic outcomes" is not 'gagging for a civil war'. Knock it off.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTR1M2toB/?k=1

A video of a speech by Afeni X yesterday. She’s echoing what many people in here have said: if the Democrats are useless and if they continue to be useless, vote them out. There’s a palpable frustration present that democrats should take note of. People know that the democrats are in power right now and if they continue to fumble things like they’ve done, they will lose.

https://twitter.com/codepink/status/1540498684995162112?s=21&t=r_zdRUoBZ30YBn9IxyVl9Q

The good thing is that she’s not only talking about abortion rights. Afeni mentions healthcare, and racial and economic justice. Because ultimately, it’s not just about abortion rights, it’s everything. She’s laying out that better things for everyone are possible.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Given that we can't even convince some members on our side that 2 hours of their time once a year voting is a worthwhile effort, not sure how anyone thinks we'd be able to compete with the nutters that are drilling with firearms every weekend and spending hours every week harassing school boards and town halls.

Our side folds when a vote doesn't go our way, their side folds only once we're all gone and our values are erased from history.

They hate their elected officials too (see the recent harassment of Dan Crenshaw by his own party) but they still vote for them, as a means to an end. And after they cast that vote, they go right back to the insane direct action stuff they know generates results, too.

It helps that Capital is very much on their side and very much not on ours. The billionaire class is only too happy to bankroll insurgent right-wing candidates and movements because hey, shockingly they always seem to benefit from it. But also, the broader left (let's say that's everyone to the left of the Dem mainstream) does reliably turn out in elections to vote blue no matter who. See this Pew study, and of course, read "liberal" as "left-wing," because our political media is really stupid and loves to treat those labels as synonyms. The groups that don't reliably turn out for the Dems tend to be working-class people of color.

Enver Zogha
Nov 12, 2008

The modern revisionists and reactionaries call us Stalinists, thinking that they insult us and, in fact, that is what they have in mind. But, on the contrary, they glorify us with this epithet; it is an honor for us to be Stalinists.

DarkCrawler posted:

it's not like the past worker's movements did not participate in politics, pretty much the opposite in fact.
As an odd aside, I was just reading a book that mentions how the earliest iterations of the CPUSA (the Communist Party and Communist Labor Party, formed about the same time in 1919 and with basically identical programs) sparred over the subject. From The American Communist Party: A Critical History, pp. 61-62:

quote:

Both Communist groups had taken the Socialists to task for their addiction to “parliamentary activity” and both formally adopted statements that, if taken literally, precluded electoral campaigns. But there the similarity ended. The Communist Party really believed that municipal campaigns were likely to contaminate revolutionaries (it believed that almost anything might contaminate revolutionaries), while the opposition of the Communist Labor Party to electioneering was more cant than conviction. . .

Since Socialist nominations for local Ohio elections had occurred before the split-off of the two Communist groups, it was inevitable that a number of CLP members now found their names on the SP ballot. Disregarding the prohibitions of its own convention, the CLP decided to support those of its members who were on the SP ticket. For this descent into “opportunism” the CP denounced the CLP as “centrist” and “reformist,” declaring that “a Communist party must have nothing to do with elections for judges and sheriffs, and for the executives of the capitalist state generally.” This would have left the CP in a state of happy rectitude had it not been for the horrified discovery that some of its members were also, through no fault of their own, on the Socialist ticket. Whereupon the CP, with utter consistency, stuck to its theoretical guns and launched the most piquant election campaign in American history: it insisted that workers refrain from voting for its own members. An editorial in The Communist, the party’s official weekly, announced that “The Communist Party comrades appearing on the Socialist Party ticket will make a campaign urging workers not to vote for them.”
Later on the Communist International intervened, eventually managed to create a single American communist party, and had it participate in elections. :ussr:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Nobody's saying voting is too much effort, and characterizing it that way is part of why it gets dismissed as feeling entitled to people's votes.

If the party's not going to represent the electorate or make a good faith attempt to fulfill their campaign promises, why in the world would you vote for them? Just voting to oppose the fash would be a necessary good if the opposing candidates would effectively oppose the fash. When the choice is Trumpist Christian Dominionist or quisling on the lobbyist payroll that makes centrist noises in ads then fills a chair making show votes for a few years, there's not much motivating people to the ballot box.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Sailor Video Games posted:

Saying "electoral politics is not producing democratic outcomes" is not 'gagging for a civil war'. Knock it off.

Also the Civil War's outcome would be entirely dependent on factors that don't exist. There is no "left" gagging for anything. The majority of the country abhors this opinion.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Sailor Video Games posted:

Okay, fine. Most people in the thread aren't excited for a civil war, they are just... completely resigned to the fact to the point where absolutely nothing can avoid it to the point of not even trying anymore?

And we aren't going to win a civil war, the best outcome is taking some christofacists with us. =/

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I don't recall no one say not to try anything at all, the disagreement is how much electoralism is part of the solution

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Twincityhacker posted:

Okay, fine. Most people in the thread aren't excited for a civil war, they are just... completely resigned to the fact to the point where absolutely nothing can avoid it to the point of not even trying anymore?

What can be done to avoid it? I'm genuinely asking. Getting the "left," such as it is, to turn out to vote in November isn't going to make much of a difference; the number of leftists who don't already turn out to vote anyway is pretty small. The much bigger problem for the Dems is that they're hemorrhaging non-ideological working-class black and brown voters, who aren't turning out for the Dems reliably because the Dems don't give them much of a reason to turn out anymore.

Also, as others have said, I don't think we're going to see a literal Civil War 2, but instead more of a cold civil war where the country increasingly fragments and becomes ungovernable.

World Famous W posted:

I don't recall no one say not to try anything at all, the disagreement is how much electoralism is part of the solution

Exactly. Most of us here were raised to believe that voting, or at most voting plus donating and volunteering for campaigns, was the totality of our political activity. That's what the folks in power have wanted us to believe, because it really, really benefits them if our political activity is that narrowly curtailed. As a group, left-of-center folks need to have sort of Copernican Revolution in how we view politics, and flip those assumptions on their head. Direct action and working outside of the system need to take up the lion's share of our political activity, while electoralism needs to go from being all that we do, to just one small part of what we do.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jun 25, 2022

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

If the Democrats can prevent the loss of the Senate in November, that would be pretty unexpected. The House doesn't seem salvageable, Pelosi spiked it.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

I can't remember all the details or which tell-all it came from, but Bill Clinton wanted to run campaign events in states that Robby Mook told him had flipped red since the 90s and that Bill was wasting his time. I think it was like Wisconsin or something? Unable to get any real support from the campaign organization, Bill went and did townhall speeches in those states in the final weeks with minimal production or organization. Clinton narrowly lost instead of the washout that Mook expected.

It's rather telling that Hillary's people had less of a finger on the pulse than 'Slick Willie', and they okay-boomer'ed one of the best political campaigners of a generation while pretending that Hillary was Barack Obama The Second and could expect the same votes from the same people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Dunite posted:

Call the service, National Forests "Get some Nature and Nuture"
Stoked to visit the Sequoia National Park And Abortionplex.

Majorian posted:

Also, as others have said, I don't think we're going to see a literal Civil War 2, but instead more of a cold civil war where the country increasingly fragments and becomes ungovernable.
The best way I've seen it put is essentially 'The Troubles, but American sized', which really sums it up succinctly.