Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...

MSPain posted:

what's the opinion around here on the vitpilen and svartpilen 400 for newbs?

metallicaeg posted:

If I remember right they have a rather high seat height and I think you'd actually get better reliability from Enfield, lols

Russian Bear posted:

Don’t do this.

They are duke 390s in a better looking package. Google duke 390 common problems.

:confuoot:

Just bought two of them with a friend. It was either Husqvarna, Duke or wait until end of july for Yamaha to arrive. Nothing else was available.

the heat goes wrong fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jun 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

SEKCobra posted:

Honestly, I came out of the event once again happy with my choice of bike and most bikes I tried had some major flaw that makes me not want it. Also, the BMW was the only one with a grabby rear brake, most were ok to weak. The worst one was the Zero SR/S(I think?), The rear brake was doubly poo poo. For one, the lever was really hard to locate for me, I would either slip off or push down on the lever which would make it not go down because of the angle. In the rare case that I managed to actuate it, the rear brake just did absolutely nothing on that bike.

I assume you can adjust the position of the rear brake on those? In any case, I only use mine when stopped in traffic on a gradient and it would be just about the last thing I would be concerned about (or bother to test).

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

the heat goes wrong posted:

Just bought two of them with a friend. It was either Husqvarna, Duke or wait until end of july for Yamaha to arrive. Nothing else was available.

Congrats. Anecdotal, fore sure, but I got a colleague with a 401 and he's very happy with it. I think it's a cool city bike.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Congrats! They looks great for sure and I hope you don't have any issues!

SEKCobra posted:

On another note, Harley flat out refused any test rides until the track would be completely dry (it rained before the event and the track remained wet for the entire duration I was there), stating their bikes and tyres just weren't compatible with riding in the rain. Lol.
Thought I'd finally get to experience the height adjustment thing on the Pan America, but nope.

Haha did Harley forget what country they were in?

On a separate note, I haven’t visited my fam in Stockholm in quite a few years, I miss Swedish summers.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I test rode a LiveWire last weekend. I rode to the dealership on my Monkey lol.
The LiveWire is the most powerful bike I've been on. I briefly had an 88 CBR600 about 15 years ago and it was running on 3 cylinders.
I say all this because the bike was effortless to ride, even in full sport mode. Traction control keeps the rear from spinning and the front down. So it's pretty easy to goose it at a light and take off with incredible acceleration.
The seat height was about as tall as I'd want it as a short guy. I didn't like the seating position.
Despite the power, it always felt (and sounded) like I was riding on top of a giant RC car.
Anyway, cool bike and obviously well built. Not something that's practical for me at this point, but I recommend you give it a go if you can.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

:hellyeah:

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...
Thanks!
My driving experience consists of four months in Thailand, riding around old rental 150s and three hundreds, so everything on the new husky feels so incredibly smooth and effortless. So far pretty happy with it.
But its my third day after buying it and I have only ridden 350km with it. Its a motorcycle and it makes me happy 🥰

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
I think they look rad as hell, and looks are the only thing I'm qualified to comment on

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
Btw I'm posting from day 2 of the msf course, having an extremely good time. The bike I'm on is a csc 250 and I am really liking it

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
Went on the longest trip I've taken on my Rebel 500 so far today, about 100 miles of California wine country backroads. It was mostly great except for the people I was stuck behind for a while going 30mph in a 55 zone. I'm planning on a longer road trip next year, so I'm trying to slowly ramp up my ride lengths and work toward being able to ride most of the day. The saddle on this thing definitely isn't the best and for longer trips I'll want to do something about that.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

they're good imo

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

bought my first bike the other day

2006 ninja 500 w/ 8,300 miles - paid $1,800 (CDN)

it will need a good tune up and cleaning, the guy has barely ridden it in the past few years so it's just been sitting

right now it idles sloppy and needs a tonne of choke to keep from stalling, once its up to temperature and some load is put on it evens out and runs fine

also seems to be running 1 cylinder until its taken out and put through a few gear changes

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
Since starting riding late last year, all I've been doing is going out on various loops, not really stopping anywhere except for gas. Decided to finally change that today.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Went on a rural extended ice cream run with bro yesterday. I was doing about 100km/h under some trees when one of them dropped a cone on my visor. Not sure if pine or spruce but it made a big bang and the ricochet hit my arm which hurt. Possibly the visor was the ricochet come to think of it. I don't think I will ever become one of those guys with an open helmet and sunglasses, as if the bumblebees weren't intimidating enough. The really large beetles are pretty rare to see airborne but I shudder at the thought.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

metallicaeg posted:

Since starting riding late last year, all I've been doing is going out on various loops, not really stopping anywhere except for gas. Decided to finally change that today.

What a lovely tourist attraction, they could've at least made it a GIANT drink bottle wtf

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Invalido posted:

Went on a rural extended ice cream run with bro yesterday. I was doing about 100km/h under some trees when one of them dropped a cone on my visor. Not sure if pine or spruce but it made a big bang and the ricochet hit my arm which hurt. Possibly the visor was the ricochet come to think of it. I don't think I will ever become one of those guys with an open helmet and sunglasses, as if the bumblebees weren't intimidating enough. The really large beetles are pretty rare to see airborne but I shudder at the thought.

I don't think I've gone on a single ride where something didn't violently bounce off my visor and made me thankful for always wearing a full face.

Well that and the prospect of keeping my jaw in the event of a crash.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

opengl128 posted:

I don't think I've gone on a single ride where something didn't violently bounce off my visor and made me thankful for always wearing a full face.

Well that and the prospect of keeping my jaw in the event of a crash.

Every time I come across someone riding NOTGATT I feel really uneasy and question if waving back is somehow encouraging them to be stupid. Hell, you have to accept it as a given for scooters, but the amount of motorcyclists perfectly comfortable riding with shorts, wifebeaters and every other kind of inappropriate gear (or lack thereof) is staggering.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
Rode out to the coast and back because it’s hot as gently caress and I’ve had a stressful week that’s going to be followed by another stressful week. It was great.

2 questions came out of this trip:

*I hit a mile or two of grooved pavement that wasn’t so bad on its own, but I stuck to the middle of the lane because the usual tire lines looked and felt a bit like they’d been tarred. I didn’t like the look of them and avoided, but I wonder if I was overreacting. Anything special I should do beyond “take it easy” on grooved pavement? Was I more cautious than I needed to be on the darker lines?

*How should I change the way I’m thinking about curve physics when I’m coasting downhill? I’ve got a hill I regularly ride on that is steep and curvy enough that I sometimes just put it in neutral so I’m not riding the clutch all the way down. So I’m not going from braking to accelerating so much as braking and then letting gravity do its thing.

I’m not pushing performance all that hard or anything, but I want to be a little better riding every time I go out.

Picture tax.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

God drat those are good looking bikes.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Geekboy posted:

*How should I change the way I’m thinking about curve physics when I’m coasting downhill? I’ve got a hill I regularly ride on that is steep and curvy enough that I sometimes just put it in neutral so I’m not riding the clutch all the way down. So I’m not going from braking to accelerating so much as braking and then letting gravity do its thing.

You should have your bike in gear unless you're fully stopped. Do you have an aversion to engine braking for some reason? I'm not sure why you would want to freewheel down a hill. Going from braking to accelerating to braking is good and indeed how a bike is intended to be ridden. Coasting should generally be avoided. Someone who knows more can make an effort post on why, but coasting is not good for your bike's balance and traction.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Toe Rag posted:

You should have your bike in gear unless you're fully stopped. Do you have an aversion to engine braking for some reason? I'm not sure why you would want to freewheel down a hill. Going from braking to accelerating to braking is good and indeed how a bike is intended to be ridden. Coasting should generally be avoided. Someone who knows more can make an effort post on why, but coasting is not good for your bike's balance and traction.

i was told by the safety course instructors the biggest part of why a bike maintains it's balance is the gyroscopic effect the engine has (basically)

i think the idea is under load the engine kind of balances the bike out, it doesn't need you to ride it at all at that point... it will be perfectly fine staying upright without your input

if you're coasting it may remove some of that effect and make it much more difficult to keep it upright

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

I engine brake all the time. If that’s what’s best, I’m happy to. Learned to drive in a manual as a teenager and I’m very comfortable with it.

This is a steep hill with a speed limit of 25 that I could easily coast at about 40 on due to the incline. Curves have recommended speeds as low as 15 mph and that’s pretty reasonable. I could turn the motor off at the top of the hill and would get to the bottom about as fast as if I worked the gears all the way down.

At least at my current skill level.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Blue On Blue posted:

i was told by the safety course instructors the biggest part of why a bike maintains it's balance is the gyroscopic effect the engine has (basically)

Your instructor was wrong. Bicycles exist.

The reason bikes and bicycles stay upright, even with no rider has very little to do with gyro effects and almost everything to do with the front end of the bike turning into tipovers and automatically countersteering. The reverse is also true. Creating a counter steer event induces a lean.

Holy poo poo was that guy wrong.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jun 27, 2022

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Geekboy posted:

Rode out to the coast and back because it’s hot as gently caress and I’ve had a stressful week that’s going to be followed by another stressful week. It was great.

2 questions came out of this trip:

*I hit a mile or two of grooved pavement that wasn’t so bad on its own, but I stuck to the middle of the lane because the usual tire lines looked and felt a bit like they’d been tarred. I didn’t like the look of them and avoided, but I wonder if I was overreacting. Anything special I should do beyond “take it easy” on grooved pavement? Was I more cautious than I needed to be on the darker lines?

I’m not pushing performance all that hard or anything, but I want to be a little better riding every time I go out.

Picture tax.

What's up, I was out there today too. It was crazy packed

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
I passed the permit test today! I also bought my first bike today!

I had almost given up on finding a small displacement Japanese bike produced this century that I didn't find unfortunately weird looking and didn't have an off-putting riding position. and then this kind of fell into my lap

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
That's a cool looking bike! I'm glad your search turned up something you were happy with.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

It looks great, what is it?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Geekboy posted:

I engine brake all the time. If that’s what’s best, I’m happy to. Learned to drive in a manual as a teenager and I’m very comfortable with it.

This is a steep hill with a speed limit of 25 that I could easily coast at about 40 on due to the incline. Curves have recommended speeds as low as 15 mph and that’s pretty reasonable. I could turn the motor off at the top of the hill and would get to the bottom about as fast as if I worked the gears all the way down.

At least at my current skill level.

Never, ever coast in neural or with the clutch pulled at any kind of speed. Aside from it being horrendously wrong technique, you can and will gently caress things mechanically on lots of bikes by doing it. Never ever.

I'm gonna say it again: don't start on a goddamn Harley, christ, get a 300

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Your instructor was wrong. Bicycles exist.

Holy poo poo was that guy wrong.

Toe Rag posted:

Effort post is here

MSPain posted:

I had almost given up on finding a small displacement Japanese bike produced this century that I didn't find unfortunately weird looking and didn't have an off-putting riding position. and then this kind of fell into my lap

I was worried about you but you did bloody well. Is that seat factory?

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
2012 tu250x. Got it for 3 grand, so it met all the requirements in the OP.

The lady I bought it from said its name is cookie, which I plan to maintain out of respect.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

That bike rules, I was going to mention the TU250 in an earlier post when you were asking about classic looking bikes but edited it away. I know euro 5 probably killed it but it’s a bummer Suzuki doesn’t make something similar anymore.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Slavvy posted:

Never, ever coast in neural or with the clutch pulled at any kind of speed. Aside from it being horrendously wrong technique, you can and will gently caress things mechanically on lots of bikes by doing it. Never ever.

I never would have guessed this. Thank you. This is helpful and I’ll look into it so I can watch for any problems I may have already caused.

I don’t think I have, but I want to be diligent.

quote:

I'm gonna say it again: don't start on a goddamn Harley, christ, get a 300

Since I already own the motorcycle I own, this is less helpful.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

MSPain posted:

2012 tu250x. Got it for 3 grand, so it met all the requirements in the OP.

The lady I bought it from said its name is cookie, which I plan to maintain out of respect.

Find a deft hand with a paint brush and get them to write it on the little side panel. Unlike just about any other bike, on your bike it will add character AND value!

Geekboy posted:

I never would have guessed this. Thank you. This is helpful and I’ll look into it so I can watch for any problems I may have already caused.

I don’t think I have, but I want to be diligent.

Since I already own the motorcycle I own, this is less helpful.

It's never too late to learn and sell :)

Tbh the irony to this is that a Harley is a good bike to do that bad technique on because of the separate gearbox lubrication and the output shaft always being driven by the wheel. This is one of the dumb pointless little areas where Harley's method makes more sense than the typical japanese approach. So you could eg tow the bike with the engine dead and not hurt anything, or run the engine without an intact gearbox, or whatever. Just gives you more options.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006

Slavvy posted:

I was worried about you but you did bloody well. Is that seat factory?

:cheers: appreciate the advice. Taking the class was a bit of a wakeup call in that it was immediately clear that I don't want anything with more weight or power than something like a 250

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

What's the giant galvanised meccano bracket attached to the exhaust and rear peg hanger? Sidecar attachment?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It appears to be a one size fits all bracket for the aftermarket pipe, which appears to be mounted inside out lol

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

MSPain posted:

they used these almost exclusively at my MSF course. amazing how good one looks when it’s cleaned up and not spent years abused by people that have never ridden a bike before

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Some bikes are just ridiculously strong. Honda CB500Fs were used at my bike school, and they lasted for over 10 years. They went out of service around when the current gen SV was introduced. Now they have a bunch of SVs.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006

Slavvy posted:

It appears to be a one size fits all bracket for the aftermarket pipe, which appears to be mounted inside out lol

i had no idea that the exhaust was aftermarket.woops, haha

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I like the TU because it reminds me of the most beautiful concept bike ever made, the yamaha sakura:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

MSPain posted:

Congrats! I wish there were piles of these bikes around because they'd make great project platforms.