Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Alaois posted:

Im begging you to watch a movie made for adults for the first time in your entire life

You have hundreds of posts on this site about professional wrestling man I don't know why you think you are in a position to be judgemental about this sort of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Motto posted:

I feel like every contemporary superman story outside of whatever happens in the comics is about him stubbing his toe and immediately becoming a murderous dictator

Or someone makes a different comic that does that.

Like, drat I get it, evil super alien that's faster than lightning.

Alaois posted:

Im begging you to watch a movie made for adults for the first time in your entire life

Name 9

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Professional wrestling is an artform

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

what's the most deeply moving and challenging wrestling storyline

i vote for Dungeon of Doom

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The wrestler

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
That time a guy in a turkey costume hatched from a giant egg and danced to Turkey in the Straw while the audience booed the ever loving poo poo out of him.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

KingKalamari posted:

That time a guy in a turkey costume hatched from a giant egg and danced to Turkey in the Straw while the audience booed the ever loving poo poo out of him.

i think that was the one and only time Hector Guerrero ever showed up in the WWF, too

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Alaois posted:

i think that was the one and only time Hector Guerrero ever showed up in the WWF, too

what else are you going to do when you peak that early, anything else would just be downhill from there

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

KingKalamari posted:

You know it's fine for someone to dislike a movie you do, right? No one's going to arrest you and send you to Snyder Jail for liking a movie some people don't/

And then it was solved when they found out both of their mothers were hot dogs

"...But my mother also had a first name that was O-S-C-A-R?"

And then the Justice League movie is about how all the other sides on the Sandwich Alignment Chart team up to fight the alien invaders who think Pop Tarts are sandwiches

Also

Liar Lyre posted:

Watch at your own risk, or you can read my play by play on the CineD discord server from last night.

I'm stealing this as a new label for the "Open your mind to the psychic maelstrom" Move in my Something Awful Forums Powered by the Apocalypse Hack.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Andrast posted:

what's the most deeply moving and challenging wrestling storyline

i vote for Dungeon of Doom

Katsuyori Shibata coming back from the wilderness after walking away from his purported destiny as the generational equal of Nakamura and Tanahashi in New Japan and having to earn the respect of the Third Generation and the ace of his generation in Tanahashi before finally getting a shot against the modern (in 2017) ace, Okada, fighting so hard to prove himself as Okada's equal that he legitimately almost died and will probably never wrestle a regular schedule again.

Anyway, it's a real bummer to learn that Linkara is in just about the same place as a media critic as he was when I was watching him in high school a decade ago talk about how cringe the comic where Superman has a big gun is. Deeply depressing news.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I Before E posted:

Katsuyori Shibata coming back from the wilderness after walking away from his purported destiny as the generational equal of Nakamura and Tanahashi in New Japan and having to earn the respect of the Third Generation and the ace of his generation in Tanahashi before finally getting a shot against the modern (in 2017) ace, Okada, fighting so hard to prove himself as Okada's equal that he legitimately almost died and will probably never wrestle a regular schedule again.

and then they took his brain completely out of his head, absolutely wild stuff

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I mean I have disagreed with Linkara plenty of times (topics include other SA hot buttons like TLJ) and I didnt mind Man of Steel at all.
But I am still enjoying his review so far. I think he always goes out of his way to say that he doesn't want to force his opinion on anyone. He's just very picky about his supermen.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Like my problem with man of steel is that I hate drab colors and was waiting for the superman that did the saving like in the cartoons.

The Batman 2022 gave me Batman straight up rescuing kids and trying to save as many people as he can to become a symbol of hope for Gotham

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Linkara is one of the only people on the whole internet who has become a better person over time. His voice is still grating though. Blame Minnesota.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Annointed posted:

Like my problem with man of steel is that I hate drab colors and was waiting for the superman that did the saving like in the cartoons.

The Batman 2022 gave me Batman straight up rescuing kids and trying to save as many people as he can to become a symbol of hope for Gotham

I get being put off by the more monochrome palette, but I think the Superman who does the saving is there. He's there in the bus, he's there in the oil rig, and he's there when Zod tries to eradicate humanity after his eugenic plot is stopped. What isn't there is a Clark who can live in peace while still being Superman when he needs to be, and I think the search for that is the long arc of the Snyder movies, finally culminating in the scene on the farm with the butterfly in ZSJL. He's finally learned how to keep himself centered.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I genuinely like Man of Steel, meaning I objectively have bad movie taste. None of the other Snyder movies do much for me, though, so I'm not insane.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Liar Lyre posted:

or you can read my play by play on the CineD discord server from last night.

You should be put under some guardianship if you think this is a sentence anyone would ever find appealing.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Guy who obsessively reads the worst thread on SA: You won't get me to read bad things!

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Roth posted:

Guy who obsessively reads the worst thread on SA: You won't get me to read bad things!

i would hope nobody here regularly reads the F1 thread

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Alaois posted:

i would hope nobody here regularly reads the F1 thread

I'm sure all of us have at least one terrible thread bookmarked

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Roth posted:

How can it be the worst thread when it’s not in QCS?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

It's not even monochrome, it's more Baroque or Renaissance with understated colors and higher levels of shade. It's a look and if that doesn't do anything for you that's fair. But boy howdy that Linkara review is cinemasins levels of nonsense. Wasn't even engagement it's just "why is this like this? it's bad. this is bad. it's weird. I don't like this." It's a greatest hits of twitter discourse.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Jimbot posted:

It's not even monochrome, it's more Baroque or Renaissance with understated colors and higher levels of shade. It's a look and if that doesn't do anything for you that's fair. But boy howdy that Linkara review is cinemasins levels of nonsense. Wasn't even engagement it's just "why is this like this? it's bad. this is bad. it's weird. I don't like this." It's a greatest hits of twitter discourse.

whoa, its a linkara review???

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

It's a bad movie exploring a retread of one of the least interesting takes on a 75 year old character in the most obvious ways with some hilariously on the nose and obvious 'subtext' in its direction and its very funny that people have decided to dig in on this one being where The 20th Most Watched Comics Guy on youtube has proven himself a fool.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
To hell with superman, where is my Stardust the super wizard movie you cowards?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It's a bad movie exploring a retread of one of the least interesting takes on a 75 year old character in the most obvious ways with some hilariously on the nose and obvious 'subtext' in its direction and its very funny that people have decided to dig in on this one being where The 20th Most Watched Comics Guy on youtube has proven himself a fool.

By this do you mean the scene where a character who's experiencing a crisis of conscience about his responsibilities is framed against a famous image of a mythological figure who went through a similar crisis of conscience? If so, I think that's part of the territory of Superman, just look at all the times the Pieta has been invoked with him.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

It's funny when you ask people "well, what's the interesting take on the character then?" and they go on to explain Superman from those Snyder films.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

aaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Jimbot posted:

There's a reason why most films don't try to ape tenebrism or chiaroscuro and that's because it looks good in static but muddy as gently caress in motion.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Let's cut to the chase: Linkara's review is bad, Man of Steel is good. The people itt mad that someone watched a Linkara video and said it was bad are dumbasses.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
People don't seem mad though? Even the original poster who was grumbling about Linkara's review didn't seem *mad*. Just a bit excited to dump on something he didn't like, which is fair. I mean look at the thread we're in.

I'm a bit tired of people declaring that other people are angry when it just seemed like a conversation, albeit the kind where everyone's trying to sound witty and coming off like dickheads.

I'm not mad though. Please don't put on the forum that I got mad.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

HopperUK posted:

People don't seem mad though? Even the original poster who was grumbling about Linkara's review didn't seem *mad*. Just a bit excited to dump on something he didn't like, which is fair. I mean look at the thread we're in.

I'm a bit tired of people declaring that other people are angry when it just seemed like a conversation, albeit the kind where everyone's trying to sound witty and coming off like dickheads.

I'm not mad though. Please don't put on the forum that I got mad.

You seem mad right now imo

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Roth posted:

You seem mad right now imo

I asked you so nicely not to put it that I got mad and now you did. Now you did!

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the only acceptable cape content is luchadors dressed as licensed comic book characters fighting each other with flips and huracanranas

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

As someone who reads and posts bad things constantly I am, if anything, overly qualified to recognize other bad things

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

I Before E posted:

By this do you mean the scene where a character who's experiencing a crisis of conscience about his responsibilities is framed against a famous image of a mythological figure who went through a similar crisis of conscience? If so, I think that's part of the territory of Superman, just look at all the times the Pieta has been invoked with him.

Among other shots yes and that obvious and simple imagery that's been done in connection to the character for literal decades is why I said it's also " retread of one of the least interesting takes on a 75 year old character in the most obvious ways "

Like yeah you're right it is the territory of the character that basically everyone with eyes knows from just knowing who superman is which is why doing such obvious and simple connections isn't smart nor interesting nor good direction. It's just kind of boring and lazy but you can act like it's smart because of the 5% of people who don't get it missed it.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Vanderdeath posted:

There's a reason why most films don't try to ape tenebrism or chiaroscuro and that's because it looks good in static but muddy as gently caress in motion.

I catch your meaning but I wouldn't call those films muddy in motion at all. More directors should try to mimic those colors to be honest.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Alaois posted:

the only acceptable cape content is luchadors dressed as licensed comic book characters fighting each other with flips and huracanranas

My favorite instance of this was when one group of Ninja Turtle themed luchadors fought a second group of Ninja Turtle themed luchadors and then another group of Ninja Turtle themed luchadors ran in. Mexico doesn’t not give a poo poo about copyright law.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPOxTCNFjFA

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Among other shots yes and that obvious and simple imagery that's been done in connection to the character for literal decades is why I said it's also " retread of one of the least interesting takes on a 75 year old character in the most obvious ways "

Like yeah you're right it is the territory of the character that basically everyone with eyes knows from just knowing who superman is which is why doing such obvious and simple connections isn't smart nor interesting nor good direction. It's just kind of boring and lazy but you can act like it's smart because of the 5% of people who don't get it missed it.

Do you have any recommendations for comics that work in similar territory? I'm not the biggest Superman enthusiast so I may be ignorant of some notable ones, but of the big Superman origin retellings only Birthright has what I'd call major similarities to the way MOS handles the decision to commit to being Superman with all the consequences that carries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Liar Lyre posted:

Do you want an example of poor review work? Look no further than Linkara’s review if Man of Steel. It has all the classic foleys of a bad review. Lying, editing to misconstrued dialogue, deriving themes from outside of the film, terrible jokes, pointless asides, a feature length runtime, whining about differences from adaptation, going into a review with a grudge, terrible jokes, nonsense rambling, arguing the writers/directors are wrong about choices instead of analyzing why those choices were made, not paying attention to the film, accidentally identifying themes while stating it’s what the movie should be about, poor media literacy, even worse understanding of filmmaking, using clips from unrelated media instead of making jokes/comments, refusal to accept the film on its own terms, having self-admitted nitpicking be the majority of complaints, admitting they made mistakes but refusing to change the script and just acknowledge it later, and being whiny about all of it. Plus lump in all the complaints about Man of Steel you’ve heard over the last near decade. This one cut deep because I find MoS a deeply moving and challenging cape flick, and to hear him moan about how this wasn’t the same Superman story told a million times before (I.e. oversaturated and Superman smiles and never does anything even remotely morally grey) it just got to me. Watch at your own risk, or you can read my play by play on the CineD discord server from last night.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQjqVAlgt6Q

Hmm...I dunno...could you deliver your play by play in the form of a 10 hour rebuttal video instead.