Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Boxman posted:

Update on my journey through the Krakoan x-men (should i be posting this in the x-thread?) - I just finished the issue of x-force with the rapid fire contests and lol what the gently caress is this

It's pretty funny (Gorgon going all :haw: at the rocks), but is completely tonally dissonant with the start of the event, which is all very serious and epic in that great Hickman way.

You've reached peak Calvinball in X of Swords. It becomes serious again pretty quickly if your up to X-Force. I want to say the next issue of Cable is where the plot really gets moving again. And I'm sure the X-Thread would love to hear your thoughts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

If you look back, you’ll find posts of people dreading that X of Swords was going to be exactly what it looked like it was going to be. Then you’ll see other people getting mad when it goes off the rails, and they don’t get the sword tournament they were expecting.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I read Black Widow: The Ties That Bind. At furst I was like, bit derivative of Wandavision, having this lady superhero in an idyllic suburban world that is obviously fake and the people outside monitoring it to try to figure out what's going on. But the writing and the art were good so I was happy to hear it out. When it was revealed that the family was real and the kid was biologically their kid, I was super on board for spy mom adventures. Especially because the comic spent a lot of energy establishing that even though it started from super villain chicanery, the family was real, their love was real. I thought that was all just a shortcut to family spy fun. I actually put down the book for a second to see if the next volume was available and was like, I'm definitely going to the comic shop tomorrow.

But then. Instead of fun wife-spy adventures, Black Widow sends her new family into hiding and pledges to never ever see them again, not for any reason, not ever. She must live her spy life alone, forever. All that stuff about the family being real which I thought was a shortcut to spy wife action was actually just a shortcut to something emotionally devastating happening to Black Widow. The family is firmly written out of the picture into hiding forever, and it was all done by her existing rogue's gallery who she already didn't like and didn't even seem especially angry at at the end. So the only effect on the plot of the fake family was to make it so that Black Widow is very sad, all the time.

Saves me a trip to the comic shop, I guess.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

The rest of the run (the follow up run?) is loving excellent, the art remains incredible, the supporting cast is really good, and Natasha is given some of her best characterization in years. If the family is your line in the sand, that's fair, but I'd really recommend giving it a chance.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
If you want spy family adventures, Spy X Family is a delight.

There’s probably good spy family adventures in Marvel too, but I can’t think of any off the top of my head

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

rantmo posted:

The rest of the run (the follow up run?) is loving excellent, the art remains incredible, the supporting cast is really good, and Natasha is given some of her best characterization in years. If the family is your line in the sand, that's fair, but I'd really recommend giving it a chance.

I really did enjoy the comic, and if it had done ended up going in a non-spy family direction that would've been fine. But the way the family ended up being basically just a tragic backstory in a bottle felt really cheap to me. And it felt like it was intentionally resolved in that way so that future writers could ignore the whole thing. I know this happens all the time in superhero comics but in this case it felt so strongly to me that I could see the contractual lease for the character. "Kelley Thompson shall have control of the Black Widow character for six months, with option to renew every following six months, with the proviso that the character be returned in it's previous condition upon termination of lease"

thetoughestbean posted:

If you want spy family adventures, Spy X Family is a delight.

There’s probably good spy family adventures in Marvel too, but I can’t think of any off the top of my head

Yeah I know people say that's good, but I haven't been watching much anime recently and the amount of anime that I'm sure is really good that I haven't watched is completely out of control. I haven't even kept up on Birdie Wing, the lesbian golf show for Gundam fans.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
black widow was the best book marvel was putting out besides immortal hulk right up until the end. but also lmao you actually expected marvel to let her have a family for real, they won't even let her relationship with Bucky be more than an on and off thing

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

site posted:

black widow was the best book marvel was putting out besides immortal hulk right up until the end. but also lmao you actually expected marvel to let her have a family for real, they won't even let her relationship with Bucky be more than an on and off thing

I sort of disagree. while I like Kelly Thompson, she wrote all additional characters well, but it sort of felt wrong for Nat herself.
It was still a fun ride.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Thompson's book made me go back and read all of nats previous solo titles and tbh i didn't get that at all, i guess ymmv

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

site posted:

I'm firmly convinced that if the book had run longer Thompson was going to revisit James and baby Steve. I don't know how it would've ended up, but the way she kept having Natasha try to find them makes me think there was more plot to explore.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
I’m still irritated that they erased Natasha’s good memories of Bucky years ago. I liked them together.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

howe_sam posted:

I'm firmly convinced that if the book had run longer Thompson was going to revisit James and baby Steve. I don't know how it would've ended up, but the way she kept having Natasha try to find them makes me think there was more plot to explore.

i mean it was a running theme she was having trouble actually letting go, but i really really doubt that they would've actually come together as a family unit. probably more like just allowing herself to have them in her life

Latkje
Jun 3, 2011

site posted:

i mean it was a running theme she was having trouble actually letting go, but i really really doubt that they would've actually come together as a family unit. probably more like just allowing herself to have them in her life

Right, the actual character of James is like… not really a character, especially compared to Bucky or Clint. The family does really little besides establish that a family, stable relationship, a child— these are things Natasha wants on some level but can't have. Having Natasha be in a false-memories true love relationship makes sense for an arc but would fall apart pretty quickly as a long term direction.

I think there were a few moments of weird internal monologue (e.g. the part where Natasha compares a building full of bad guys to levels in a video game) but there were strong characterization moments as well, and in general a nice balance between new threats and established relationships. Yelena as a partner/foil is a good thing to bring into the series.

I know the creative team teased some kind of continuation when it got cancelled but I haven't seen anything about it yet and I want it.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Gripweed posted:

Yeah I know people say that's good, but I haven't been watching much anime recently and the amount of anime that I'm sure is really good that I haven't watched is completely out of control. I haven't even kept up on Birdie Wing, the lesbian golf show for Gundam fans.

You can actually read the whole thing, iirc for free, on Manga Plus, Shueisha’s website/app

The Black Widow stuff was as good as Immortal Hulk? That’s high praise. I should see if the store I work at shelves it

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I'm a couple eps behind on the birdie wing anime but it's hilarious

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

site posted:

I'm a couple eps behind on the birdie wing anime but it's hilarious

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I am so torn on Spider-Man right now. I like everything going on with Tombstone, but this hosed up thing with MJ is ridiculous, the whole "pete did something bad and everyone but you, the reader, knows what it is" is frustrating.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
From what I’ve seen that seems to be a pretty universal opinion.

Which is sad the tombstone is enough they didn’t need this lost bullshit

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Issue 4 is one of the best Marvel Comics I have read in ages.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I think eventually Wells is gonna show his hand on that, and maybe soonish with the Madelyne Prior and Ben Reilly team up, or Moira attacking MJ to get to the Hellfire Gala thing.

Remember there was also that figure in light at the end of the last series that was never explained, so I think time travel and/or cosmic beings that can do big things will come into play. But I can't imagine that this MJ thing is gonna be a new status quo and eventually it's gonna end with Peter and MJ together.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Well yeah there is gonna be some twist or else this mystery stuff is pointless.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Issue 4 is one of the best Marvel Comics I have read in ages.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
I'll just wait and not read ASM myself until they properly reveal what happened.

Depending on how dumb it is (there are tolerable levels of the same), I'll go back and catch up.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

All I ever seem to hear about modern Spider-Man comics is whatever the current mystery is.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

When you can’t actually change the character all that much it’s all you really got left

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

CharlestheHammer posted:

When you can’t actually change the character all that much it’s all you really got left

I'm reading old Hulk comics right now, and there is a ton of stuff you can do with a character you can't change. Send them to a subatomic fantasy world. Send them to the planet that's practically identical to our own on the other side of the sun. Send them to the bottom of the ocean to fight Captain Omen.

I looked it up, Captain Omen has not appeared again since that run of the Hulk. He's still down there, breeding humans who can survive at the bottom of the sea as part of his plan to conquer the entire sea floor. Send Spider-Man after him

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

A science incident throws Spider-Man back in time, to the height of the Bird People civilization. When their floating island comes to demand tribute from the first settlers of the island of Manhattan, Spider-Man has to lead the humans to fight back against their avian oppressors, and even faces a prototype Bi-Beast! Six issues right there, easy.

edit: that can even be a lead-in to a mini-event where it turns out that time travel escapade created a centuries long animosity for Spider-People among the Bird People, so in modern times they unleash an army of super advanced Bi-Beasts on New York and all the Spider-Men and Women have to work together to fight them!

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jun 25, 2022

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

that's pretty much what Marvel Team-Up used to be. like two panels devoted to Peter getting Jonah to pay for a flight to twenty pages of Spider-Man and Stingray fighting a guy with a submarine shaped like a shark or something. perfect comics.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Gripweed posted:

I'm reading old Hulk comics right now, and there is a ton of stuff you can do with a character you can't change. Send them to a subatomic fantasy world. Send them to the planet that's practically identical to our own on the other side of the sun. Send them to the bottom of the ocean to fight Captain Omen.

I looked it up, Captain Omen has not appeared again since that run of the Hulk. He's still down there, breeding humans who can survive at the bottom of the sea as part of his plan to conquer the entire sea floor. Send Spider-Man after him

This is silly because as I’ve stated before, you can change things an about the hulk. He’s the character on the opposite end of that particular spectrum

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

CharlestheHammer posted:

This is silly because as I’ve stated before, you can change things an about the hulk. He’s the character on the opposite end of that particular spectrum

In the Hulk comics I'm reading Hulk is extremely static as a character. Like, every issue is just a different situation in which Hulk can be confused and violent.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Spider-Man can't be late in his rent on prehistoric bird planet though

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

You can have a great creative run with a character who doesn't change too much. Plus just using the basics, you could do more of the slice of life type of stuff that got Spider-Man noticed back in the 60s. And the MJ relationship stuff, if they get that going.

An example at least with only a subtly slow changing character, Judge Dredd has been one of the best comics ever since 1977. There is an endless amount of cool genre fiction you can do if you get creative with it. This thread could easily write 10 years of great Spider-Man if Marvel gave us a shot. We'd make it look easy.

Here's pitch #1: MJ gets addicted to one of those MMO game things. Peter picks bad movies, and this is all fun until like 8 issues later this all goes too far. Also Sandman creates a group of mysterious government agent types who are mucking about, and spoilers it's Sandman, because of something. And Dock Ock is uh doing something. Anyways my resume will be available.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jun 25, 2022

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
My pitch is Peter teams up with Ben Reilly, Miles Morales and let’s say Otto Octavius once again in a Peter body to make sure there’s always a Spider-Man available to help save the day and improve Spider-Man’s reputation. They end up having to fight a bunch of reanimated Spider-Slayer robots that were hidden in the sewers that go around attacking different Spider-People.

It’ll be called Spider-Man & Spider-Man & Spider-Man & Spider-Man

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Maximum Carnage and Spider-Island happen again at the same time, the entire population of Manhattan become Spider-People to fight literally all the villains.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
My book is a slice of life pov of the hot dog vendor Spider-Man annoys everyday

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Gripweed posted:

A science incident throws Spider-Man back in time, to the height of the Bird People civilization. When their floating island comes to demand tribute from the first settlers of the island of Manhattan, Spider-Man has to lead the humans to fight back against their avian oppressors, and even faces a prototype Bi-Beast! Six issues right there, easy.

edit: that can even be a lead-in to a mini-event where it turns out that time travel escapade created a centuries long animosity for Spider-People among the Bird People, so in modern times they unleash an army of super advanced Bi-Beasts on New York and all the Spider-Men and Women have to work together to fight them!
The Bi-Beast Saga: Choose A Side

e: I have been informed I am now Editor in Chief at Marvel Comics, but also, that I have been fired

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Gripweed posted:

it sounds like you are just looking for an excuse to have a lot of bi-beast appearances.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gripweed posted:

Maximum Carnage and Spider-Island happen again at the same time, the entire population of Manhattan become Spider-People to fight literally all the villains.

Ah you read King in Black

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I just got finished with Mark Waid's time on Daredevil and I'm not sure you can say much really changed about the character but hot drat if that wasn't one of the best runs on any character I've ever read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it sounds like you are just looking for an excuse to have a lot of bi-beast appearances.

Bi-Beast does kick rear end. I’d love to see more Bi-Beasts, a girl Bi-Beast, etc