Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Bicycles, pretty cool eh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

TobinHatesYou posted:

Bicycles, pretty cool eh?
Today I rode my bike to my job where I ride bikes. Later I will ride home.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

CopperHound posted:

I also bicycled with a bunch of other bicyclers. I will bicycle virtually later.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
I am going to bicycle very soon and am planning on riding hard over a hill.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

rngd in the womb posted:

I am going to bicycle very soon and am planning on riding hard over a hill.

Very Kate Bush

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
I can't bicycle today but I am looking at bicycles on the internet and maybe going to work on mine in the garage later. Bikes are very cool and very good.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Some days bicycles are cool, some days, they aren't. I get frustrated when my fitness sucks. Which is most rides.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

dema posted:

Some days bicycles are cool, some days, they aren't. I get frustrated when my fitness sucks. Which is most rides.

Turns out that blasting down trails is fun even if your fitness sucks; buy that Canyon. Then come visit.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

dema posted:

Day 1: this sucks gently caress
Day 2: this still sucks but I'm getting in the groove somewhat
Day 3: this rules, I feel great, so tired though, I think I'll treat tomorrow as a rest day

Goto day 1

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
I'm gonna move to New Hampshire in a couple months. Right around the Durham area. What do I need to know about local shops, trails, hot spots, so on and so forth? Particularly interested in the local cyclocross and gravel scene, but love a solid B-level road group too. Big fan off mountain biking, but like Iowa and Bentonville kinda mountain biking, ya know. The kinda stuff that fine to ride on a fatty.

The only thing I have my eyes on right now are the Monday rides at Papa Wheelies. Also, pretty stoked that I'll have a chance at the Mt Washington Hill Climb in the coming future.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

MoonCricket posted:

Aside from being out of shape my only physical gripe with my newish-now bike is my right hand falling asleep. Are ergonomic grips a joke? The kind that are like oversized to support your palms are what I have in mind. My problem isn't isolated to my bike, I drive a manual truck and other manual work with my hands, my right always falls asleep. It is a type of arthritis that I will have to have surgery for one day. Doctor agrees and it is not carpal tunnel. Just biding my time for now as the surgery isn't the easiest one and I am still getting by.

I feel like this might be something that calls for a look at alternate handlebar styles? Is it currently flat or drop bar and what do you use it for?

Is there a hand orientation where it doesnt bother you as much? There is likely a handlebar that lets you orient your hand and wrist in that way. If it's just holding things in one spot that messes it up, just moving to different grip positions on multigrip bars could help.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I pumped up my tires, lubed my chain, and rode my bike to work and back today. Now I'm eating strawberries and posting

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Today I took off work and rode my bichael instead. It was very good. Bikes are very good.

Clear blue skies, 70 degrees, fresh mountain air. 35 miles of mostly gravel & dirt. Saw maybe a dozen people. Mostly chill, with a few miles of underbiking through some rough dirt roads with some stream crossings.

Pretty much a perfect day.

Go ride bikes.

steel is real

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:
Tonight I very much needed time ambling around on fixed gear pretending I was cool and brakeless, vibing to macroblank and just being alone with my thoughts.

Guinness posted:

steel is real

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Steve French posted:

Turns out that blasting down trails is fun even if your fitness sucks; buy that Canyon. Then come visit.

Hah. I'm back on wanting a Pivot Switchblade.

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye

Steve French posted:

I live in the armpit of the US but just found a really well-paved curvy downhill that made me feel like a kid again. It was pretty neat*

*Or it was the Canyon I was riding, :iiam:

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

CopperHound posted:

Dear Sir or Madam,

please find my resume attached.

I can start tomorrow

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Crumps Brother posted:

I'm gonna move to New Hampshire in a couple months. Right around the Durham area. What do I need to know about local shops, trails, hot spots, so on and so forth? Particularly interested in the local cyclocross and gravel scene, but love a solid B-level road group too. Big fan off mountain biking, but like Iowa and Bentonville kinda mountain biking, ya know. The kinda stuff that fine to ride on a fatty.

The only thing I have my eyes on right now are the Monday rides at Papa Wheelies. Also, pretty stoked that I'll have a chance at the Mt Washington Hill Climb in the coming future.

I cant help you with the very immediate vicinity but relatively close weekend stuff is nearby:

Kingdom trails / Burke is probably 2 hours away but it’s a legendary mountain biking spot.

The cross Vermont trail has gravel and road sections. I did it over 2 or 3 days I think? I continued on for 3 days after the cvt so I can’t quite remember

I’ve heard good things about the mtb trails at mt. ascutney and Parker mountain

I don’t know much about trails further down south but I know there are quite a few.. Stratham hill comes to mind

Many old rail beds are converted to gravel trails and can be found on trailfork.

Franconia is pretty fun to bike around in too

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Crumps Brother posted:

I rode the Mt Abram bike park last summer and was very impressed. It's less than an hour from Mt Washington in Maine, near Bethel. If you're in the area, it was a laid back but very fun experience. The whole bike park has been built within the last few years, so it's modern and kicks rear end.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Guinness posted:

Today I took off work and rode my bichael instead. It was very good. Bikes are very good.

Clear blue skies, 70 degrees, fresh mountain air. 35 miles of mostly gravel & dirt. Saw maybe a dozen people. Mostly chill, with a few miles of underbiking through some rough dirt roads with some stream crossings.

Pretty much a perfect day.

Go ride bikes.

steel is real

Is that keechelus lake right off the iron horse trail?

No riding for me, I am still recovering from road rash this poo poo suuuuuucks

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
So I successfully got a bike after awhile away, and am finding my limiting factor atm is just getting sore from sitting on it for too long- after like 2-3 hours one day its pretty uncomfortable to try to ride the day after. Should I expect to just sort of get used to this over time? I have an entry level Trek Domane, fwiw. Not sure if it makes sense to think about a different saddle in a few months if it doesn’t improve?

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
Yeah it makes sense to get a saddle. Hell, you probably don't even want to wait months to do that.

You want to find the right saddle width, figure out what shape your gooch likes, but yeah, ultimately more riding helps.

Keep in mind used saddles can be cheap or maybe there's a bike shop near you with a loaner program.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

But give it a few decent rides over the next couple of weeks. A bit of arse discomfort is a thing you have to work through if you're coming back to it or just starting doing more riding. That said, beware of any numbness in the area - don't ride through that, but find something that's more comfortable. You don't want any nerve damage down there.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

Is that keechelus lake right off the iron horse trail?

Yep, east of Hyak. Rode down the Ironhorse to Easton, then cut across to NF4828 to make a loop around Amabalis Mountain back to the Ironhorse.

NF4828 is much rougher than the trail, especially with water running high right now, but lots of fun and totally doable. Some day I'll explore the forest roads northwest of Kachess lake back to Hyak, but I don't have the legs for it right now they are pretty steep.

quote:

No riding for me, I am still recovering from road rash this poo poo suuuuuucks

I'm sorry my dude that sucks big time. Hope you are back in the saddle soon.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jun 26, 2022

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
yeah i thought it looked familiar...its been almost a year since i did the NB > keechelus and back. gotta do the ride again except i'll skip the tunnel next time.

pulled some small chunks of asphalt out of my knee today, do not recommend eating poo poo on a bike

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

yeah i thought it looked familiar...its been almost a year since i did the NB > keechelus and back. gotta do the ride again except i'll skip the tunnel next time.

The tunnel is a cool novelty but yeah I don’t particularly look forward to it after doing it a few times. I’ve been liking driving up to Hyak and cruising east from there, fewer people and options to deviate off the trail if you’re feeling adventurous.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Been on a cycling trip to Mallorca. Well outside the usual cycling season due to the heat but it was a great chance to get some proper climbing in before the etape in 2 weeks.

First drama was travelling solo with a toddler and a ton of bags as my wife had to delay her flight by a day.

Made it to the villa fine and next day decided to go for a little explore in the afternoon sun. On Strava I could see there was a nearby climb and thought it would be neat to checkout. Foolishly didn't explore the profile.

Was a stunning tree covered road which was perfect for the heat. Started off at a nice 2-3% then 5, then 10 then suddenly i was on a segment of sustained >15 and at one point saw 27 on the wahoo. At 87kg as I was completely dying on my arse and had to stop a few times.

There was a narrow 17% ramp I stopped on and tried to restart, immediately ran out of road, realised I was going over, just about managed to unclip to reduce the bulk of the impact but heard a pretty hideous crack of carbon fibre as I hit the deck. RIP my speed needle.

Managed to descend safely on one arse cheek but overloaded the brakes and they locked up. Thankfully the Juin GT-F's are adjustable so with a spray of water to allow me to touch them I could back off the piston and carry on home.

Thankfully there's no shortage of bike shops around Pollenca and in the port found one open on a Sunday and bought a prologo saddle which I'm not crazy about but did the job for the rest of the trip.

Rest of the trip was pretty uneventful. Mostly stuck to a nice 50k morning loop that incorporated the col de sa betalla. It's a really nice 8k 5% climb with stunning scenery and a flat section 2k before the end to rest the legs. Then it's an espresso from the cafe at the top and smash it down the not so technical descent back home.

I also had to visit sa Calobra. I wasn't 100% I'd do it so arrived at the top with no food and already feeling a bit hungry but I wasn't going to get another chance that trip.

The wind was picking up and and as I arrived at the famous bridge I was nearly blown off the side. The descent was horrible on deep carbon rims and in retrospect I should have turned back at the start, all the locals were.

The road is absolutely incredible though and you arrive at a tiny village with some restaurants with the option of going back up the 9.8k 7.7% climb or bailing out and trying to blag your bike onto the boat to soller if it's running.

I did a terrible time up the climb but importantly made it up despite running out of water a 1/3 of the way up. The winds kept blowing me around the whole way up and coaches were starting to come down the other way which wasn't pleasant if you were coming up to one of the 26 hairpins.

Road back was pretty amazing too.

Final picture of the bike with new saddle and packed away in the bag

Overall fantastic trip. Didn't do as much as I'd have liked but feel like the etape is achievable and was great to do some proper descending on my bike before it hits the Alps.

Ideally need to fit some new tyres but can't find a decent 25/28 combo in stock anywhere. Would I be an idiot to use Corsa speeds? found one place selling them for £53 and actually in stock.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Clincher or tubeless? Wiggle has GP5000 clincher in stock in 25 and 28.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

rei near me has the Thule t2 pro hitch rack for 20% off… which all the gear review sites say is the best.. but the kuat nv has better customer review ratings but is not on sale. Any experience with these racks?

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Clincher or tubeless? Wiggle has GP5000 clincher in stock in 25 and 28.

Tubeless, I'm fully sealant pilled.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Ideally need to fit some new tyres but can't find a decent 25/28 combo in stock anywhere. Would I be an idiot to use Corsa speeds? found one place selling them for £53 and actually in stock.

Hmm, had no problem last month.

You probably just need to explore more shops than you have done.

https://www.merlincycles.com/continental-gp5000-folding-tyres-with-2-free-inner-tubes-pair-129803.html
https://www.merlincycles.com/vittoria-corsa-g20-folding-road-tyre-142938.html
https://www.merlincycles.com/schwalbe-pro-one-addix-v-guard-folding-road-tyre-700c-174255.html

Or if you’re after tubeless, Pirelli P-Zero TLR can be had for £55 I think.

Don’t get Corsa Speeds, they’re TT tyres and will last 1000 miles max and puncture like anything.

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009

Been on a cycling trip to Mallorca. Well outside the usual cycling season due to the heat but it was a great chance to get some proper climbing in before the etape in 2 weeks.

Shame about the crash but sounds like a great trip all in all! Which version of the post bag do you have and how do you like it?

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

ethanol posted:

rei near me has the Thule t2 pro hitch rack for 20% off… which all the gear review sites say is the best.. but the kuat nv has better customer review ratings but is not on sale. Any experience with these racks?

Ive used Thule rack for a while with no issues.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Serendipitaet posted:

Shame about the crash but sounds like a great trip all in all! Which version of the post bag do you have and how do you like it?

150l.

It's pretty good so far, folds up and easy to chuck in the attic and has protected everything well for 4 flights now. Lots of nice pockets to store things and keep them organised and rolls really nicely. Think it's pretty well designed, only negative thing is the elastic for one of the pouches for the forks is pretty tight if you're running discs.

Packed it's bigger than I was expecting. I've not had it side by side with a hard case but I wouldn't be surprised if it's slightly bigger. With the modern move to crossovers with small boots it's been a struggle to get it in the boot of both hire cars I've used. Had to squeeze it in and angle it over the back seats both times but because it's soft there's enough give to get it in.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

ethanol posted:

i cant believe how expensive bike racks are nowadays

anyway the best part of buying from rei is the return policy. buy the one on sale and if you end up not liking it, take it back after 355 days.

edit: kuat stuff is 10% off today at biketiresdirect

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jun 26, 2022

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009

150l.

It's pretty good so far, folds up and easy to chuck in the attic and has protected everything well for 4 flights now. Lots of nice pockets to store things and keep them organised and rolls really nicely. Think it's pretty well designed, only negative thing is the elastic for one of the pouches for the forks is pretty tight if you're running discs.

Packed it's bigger than I was expecting. I've not had it side by side with a hard case but I wouldn't be surprised if it's slightly bigger. With the modern move to crossovers with small boots it's been a struggle to get it in the boot of both hire cars I've used. Had to squeeze it in and angle it over the back seats both times but because it's soft there's enough give to get it in.

Thanks for sharing, sounds pretty decent. All the hard cases I looked at so far seem huge, with external dimensions well over 100cm on the longest edge.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

i cant believe how expensive bike racks are nowadays

anyway the best part of buying from rei is the return policy. buy the one on sale and if you end up not liking it, take it back after 355 days.

edit: kuat stuff is 10% off today at biketiresdirect

Trying to stick with rei for the local return possibility. I guess I'll pick up the Thule.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

just drove 2500 miles across the country with 60 pounds of bike on my thule camber hitch rack. it's got a sturdy steel construction and never budged an inch the whole time. it will prob last the rest of my life.

however the thule proprietary hitch lock is sold separately. it's about $1.50 worth of metal and plastic that retails for about $70. shameful.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Guinness posted:

Yep, east of Hyak. Rode down the Ironhorse to Easton, then cut across to NF4828 to make a loop around Amabalis Mountain back to the Ironhorse.

NF4828 is much rougher than the trail, especially with water running high right now, but lots of fun and totally doable. Some day I'll explore the forest roads northwest of Kachess lake back to Hyak, but I don't have the legs for it right now they are pretty steep.

I'm sorry my dude that sucks big time. Hope you are back in the saddle soon.

The riding south of the P2C around Easton, going over Stampede and Tacoma passes, is supposed to be really good too, I've put that on my radar for this summer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret
I got a motherfucker of a flat yesterday. A nail went through my tire and magically lined up with the spoke hole in the rim so I have a hole in the rim tape as well. Should I replace the whole rim tape or is it OK to give it a local patch with some overlap?