Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Since wrestling has been brought up, Wrestling Bios is a great channel. He’s been going through all of the Monday Night Wars, week by week with PPVs included, to see who had the better show. He also reviews wrestling games, notable moments in the world of wrestling, and my favorite recurring segment, WCW Blunder, a retrospective on all the weird failures of WCW. I don’t like most wrestling YouTubers, but Wrestling Bios hits that sweet spot of funny and informative.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSS4PMuJrDM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Liar Lyre posted:

Do you want an example of poor review work? Look no further than Linkara’s review if Man of Steel. It has all the classic foleys of a bad review. Lying, editing to misconstrued dialogue, deriving themes from outside of the film, terrible jokes, pointless asides, a feature length runtime, whining about differences from adaptation, going into a review with a grudge, terrible jokes, nonsense rambling, arguing the writers/directors are wrong about choices instead of analyzing why those choices were made, not paying attention to the film, accidentally identifying themes while stating it’s what the movie should be about, poor media literacy, even worse understanding of filmmaking, using clips from unrelated media instead of making jokes/comments, refusal to accept the film on its own terms, having self-admitted nitpicking be the majority of complaints, admitting they made mistakes but refusing to change the script and just acknowledge it later, and being whiny about all of it. Plus lump in all the complaints about Man of Steel you’ve heard over the last near decade. This one cut deep because I find MoS a deeply moving and challenging cape flick, and to hear him moan about how this wasn’t the same Superman story told a million times before (I.e. oversaturated and Superman smiles and never does anything even remotely morally grey) it just got to me. Watch at your own risk, or you can read my play by play on the CineD discord server from last night.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQjqVAlgt6Q

Yeah Sophie did do it better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdxk7dB9yeU

side_burned fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jun 25, 2022

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Already doubting it from that thumbnail

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011
Yhara Zayd - Nice White Teachers, Bad Brown Schools: Hollywood's Pedagogy on Urban Education

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1qYecnkrBk

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

People keep saying this is the worst thread yet the comedy graveyard of Something awful shitpost subforums are right there.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2RpU3FL1w8

Always liked this one.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jun 25, 2022

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

carrionman posted:

To hell with superman, where is my Stardust the super wizard movie you cowards?

Tell me more, does he have crippling father trauma that the audience will be able to identify with?

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Roth posted:

Man of Steel is good.
No its bad.

cugel
Jan 22, 2010
I can't respect a superman who doesn't wear his underwears over his pants; where are the red pants? Is he even wearing them?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Alaois posted:

the only acceptable cape content is luchadors dressed as licensed comic book characters fighting each other with flips and huracanranas

Where do you slot Arachnaman into this.

Liar Lyre posted:

My favorite instance of this was when one group of Ninja Turtle themed luchadors fought a second group of Ninja Turtle themed luchadors and then another group of Ninja Turtle themed luchadors ran in. Mexico doesn’t not give a poo poo about copyright law.

Neither does Memphis, which had Kowabunga the Ninja Turtle, portrayed by an amazing wrestler named Brian Hildebrand who was so small and skinny that was only the type of thing he typically did, aside from being a very good referee.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

side_burned posted:

No its bad.

Ur mom :dukedoge:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Where do you slot Arachnaman into this.

Arachnaman was surpassed by Rey Mysterio Jr.'s Spider-man cosplay gear in the same company with the webshooters

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I like Man of Steel but more importantly am baffled by the amount of extra emphasis there is on it. Like by any metric it is at worst middle of the pack as far as super hero flicks go, and there is an absolute pile of bad to mediocre super hero movies to rag on.

And I’m sure someone will bring up like “oh but the fans are extra bad” but 1. I don’t see how bad fans define a work and 2. Maybe it’s a chicken/egg thing but I feel like a lot of fans got more cemented into their view by the extra hate the movie has gotten for now going on ten years.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

stinkara

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Andrast posted:

what's the most deeply moving and challenging wrestling storyline

i vote for Dungeon of Doom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rl6Y429CPec

Peak New Generation wrestling bollix. The OSW "arc" is very fun viewing, incorporating stuff like the rooftop monster truck fight, peak oval office Hogan in World War 3 and of course THE YETAY!! THE YETAY!!

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Now that Linkara mentioned it why the skull sand? Was that a reference to the start of civilization like the earliest remains of humans or a reference from the comic books? I honestly forgot about that and the random animals from the start of man of steel. I'm fine with no brainiac but why was it that easy to steal? I felt like I was watching the climax to a prequel Zack Snyder could have made. Come to think of it the aesthetics of sand and so much water sound more like a DC movie Altantis coastal Aquaman.

Annointed fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jun 25, 2022

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Snyder has some films that are ok but also some of the worst things to happen to pop culture discourse

one of the other things being that there's something called pop discourse

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

No.1 Special posted:

Yhara Zayd - Nice White Teachers, Bad Brown Schools: Hollywood's Pedagogy on Urban Education

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1qYecnkrBk

She really needs to work on her delivery.

Guy A. Person posted:

I like Man of Steel but more importantly am baffled by the amount of extra emphasis there is on it. Like by any metric it is at worst middle of the pack as far as super hero flicks go, and there is an absolute pile of bad to mediocre super hero movies to rag on.

Like, say, Batman vs Superman.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

As an aside I glad he got to make his Snyder cut. Was fun with watch with friends and shitpost. Was sad that his daughter committed suicide so I can't be too harsh when one of the songs was dedicated to her, and Snyder outright denouncing comicsgate and their right wing bigotry.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

BvS is better than the entire MCU and several beloved superhero classics.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I like Superman but Superman as Jesus seems like a take that only makes sense or is interesting on a very superficial level.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

edogawa rando posted:

Like, say, Batman vs Superman.

He said mediocre and bad not near-perfect, friend.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gnome de plume posted:

Snyder has some films that are ok but also some of the worst things to happen to pop culture discourse

one of the other things being that there's something called pop discourse

No the worst thing to happen was the nostalgia channel and his ilk

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think Superman and Jesus are cool guys and I'd like to have a beer with them

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Really preferred The Batman 2022. Rumor has it riddler actor went for weeks without sex to become the perfect incel for the role.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Guy A. Person posted:

And I’m sure someone will bring up like “oh but the fans are extra bad” but 1. I don’t see how bad fans define a work and 2. Maybe it’s a chicken/egg thing but I feel like a lot of fans got more cemented into their view by the extra hate the movie has gotten for now going on ten years.

It's an intersection of a lot of distinct things that draw Discourse, probably. Like it's not actually a "bad" movie. It's not intensely boring or incoherent or anything like an actually bad movie is, something that fails at being a cohesive thing. It's constructed well enough to draw attention and keep it, and then pull a response out of you. Like the Twilight movies or the Transformer movies. They're things that are compelling enough to draw remarks.

And most of Snyder's movies are ignition points of sorts (except maybe the Owl Movie?) but the DC movies are immediately going to draw in nerds with preconceptions of how "X hero should be" that pervades superhero discussions to an exhausting degree anyway. I don't know if MoS gets any more flak at this point than BvS. The Justice League Snyder cut gets a bit more of a pass, it seems, maybe because the Whedon version is right over there being an undisputed pile of poo?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Roth posted:

It's a bit poo poo, mate. Some fun bits, and I enjoyed Ben Affleck as Batman more than I thought I would, but it definitely felt like it was less than the sum of its parts. It's not the worst Superman or Batman film, and there are also a lot of MCU films worse than it, but I'd definitely put it well behind Black Panther, Thor: Ragnarok, Captain America: The Winter Soldier and both Guardians of the Galaxys. I also had a lot more fun watching Black Widow and Captain Marvel than BvS as well.

Jimbot posted:

He said mediocre and bad not near-perfect, friend.

Sorry, I misspoke. I meant Superman: Returns. Awful film, especially hard to watch now due to a couple of people involved in it. Brandon Routh deserved better.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jun 25, 2022

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Angryhead posted:

Wake up honey, new Dorktown just dropped:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alcVZZuj_WE

This is an amazing Dorktown, and that’s saying something. If you need convincing, here is the premise: It is 1976 in Baltimore, 60,000 fans are packed into Memorial Stadium to watch their beloved Colts in a playoff game against the Steelers, and unbeknownst to anyone, five minutes after this game ends, a Cessna will crash into the stands. If the Colts win the game, the stands will remain packed after the whistle is blown and people will die. If the Colts lose the game in a respectable manner, people will stick around to the end and still be filtering out of the stadium at the time of impact and people will die.

There is only one hope to avoid tragedy on this day: to save the lives of the fans currently rooting against them, the Pittsburgh Steelers must kick the Colts’ asses so bad and embarrass them so thoroughly that said fans leave in droves before the game is over.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

edogawa rando posted:

Sorry, I misspoke. I meant Superman: Returns. Awful film, especially hard to watch now due to a couple of people involved in it. Brandon Routh deserved better.

I can agree with that. It was too caught up in trying to be a sequel to the Donner films that it didn't have an identity of its own. I liked some scenes from it quite a bit, though. I wholly agree with you about Brandon Routh.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Nuns with Guns posted:

It's an intersection of a lot of distinct things that draw Discourse, probably. Like it's not actually a "bad" movie. It's not intensely boring or incoherent or anything like an actually bad movie is, something that fails at being a cohesive thing. It's constructed well enough to draw attention and keep it, and then pull a response out of you. Like the Twilight movies or the Transformer movies. They're things that are compelling enough to draw remarks.

And most of Snyder's movies are ignition points of sorts (except maybe the Owl Movie?) but the DC movies are immediately going to draw in nerds with preconceptions of how "X hero should be" that pervades superhero discussions to an exhausting degree anyway. I don't know if MoS gets any more flak at this point than BvS. The Justice League Snyder cut gets a bit more of a pass, it seems, maybe because the Whedon version is right over there being an undisputed pile of poo?

Yea this is a good synopsis I agree with. I feel like BvS for awhile was getting more hate but it’s since shifted back toward MoS which is odd, maybe because it’s hard to call Snyder’s take on Superman objectivists when he sacrifices his life to save humanity. OR maybe it depend on whether you are more attached to Superman or Batman. And yea ZSJL gets a huge pass because Whedons take was cynical and filled with abuse stories

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Randallteal posted:

I like Superman but Superman as Jesus seems like a take that only makes sense or is interesting on a very superficial level.

Agreed, but he’s still similar to a biblical figure, Moses. It’s not a perfect analogy, but there are more similarities than with Jesus. Maybe the next Superman move should have him part a sea to save boat or something.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I mean, Superman is also descended from the Golem.

Everyone should read Kavalier and Clay.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Annointed posted:

Really preferred The Batman 2022. Rumor has it riddler actor went for weeks without sex to become the perfect incel for the role.

no that's just Paul Dano's regular life

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Roth posted:

I have not seen Batman Vs Superman vs Wonder Woman vs Aquaman vs Lex Luthor vs Steppenwolfe or Man of Steel (why wasn't it called Man of Kyrpton?) but in my expert opinion, I'd rate it below both Hellboy, Sonic, Incredibles, both 2000's Fantastic Four movies and about 7 animated Superman movies. I'm also ranking it lower than the animated Doctor Strange movie, the Punisher, Spider-verse and the Sam Raimi trilogy.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

DoctorWhat posted:

I mean, Superman is also descended from the Golem.

Everyone should read Kavalier and Clay.

That reminds me to check if Chabon ever did anything else worth while. I liked Gentleman of the Road and Yiddish Policeman’s Union but K&C is on an entirely different level

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

Man of Steel (why wasn't it called Man of Kyrpton?)

"Man of Steel" is a nickname that has been used often in the comics for Superman.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Guy A. Person posted:

Man of Steel is pretty much the textbook definition of mid. I remember when I first saw it I ended up thinking the bits that focused on Krypton were actually fairly interesting, but was mostly bored by the actual Superman stuff. And honestly, I think the thing that makes Snyder discourse such a morass at this point is that how defensive certain segments of the fanbase have gotten over his work. Like, if anyone mentions any criticism of Snyder's work anywhere in any capacity, a fan is going to show up to obsessively tell them why they're wrong. I don't think there's any problem with liking the man's work, but you don't have to turn liking a director's work into an ever-vigilant moral crusade to make everyone else like his work as well...

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Alaois posted:

no that's just Paul Dano's regular life

You haven’t seen the girl next door

He fucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Liar Lyre posted:

Agreed, but he’s still similar to a biblical figure, Moses. It’s not a perfect analogy, but there are more similarities than with Jesus. Maybe the next Superman move should have him part a sea to save boat or something.
i don't remember the part of the bible where moses dies and resurrects with a sweet mullet.