Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Data Graham posted:

Had to lol that they made an actual plot point out of sending a poet

I liked that idea, as it seems to hint how Helios was brand new to the space game and hadn’t experienced years of difficult experience and that their excessive idealism and tendency to try to spend their way past roadblocks is going to get them in trouble. Same with their focus on crew comfort and reliance on technology in how they weren’t going to have a backup pilot and hadn’t considered the autopilot could conk out, then that decision to redo the cockpit on a whim, showing how the CEO preaches having a company of equals but his snap decisions are the law.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah but, just in case it's not obvious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHBPnmXBm0g

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Mars botanist named Andy was nice too.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Data Graham posted:

Yeah but, just in case it's not obvious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHBPnmXBm0g

Oh I hadn’t seen that, gotcha thanks for pointing that out.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Contact is a hella good movie

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I liked that idea, as it seems to hint how Helios was brand new to the space game and hadn’t experienced years of difficult experience and that their excessive idealism and tendency to try to spend their way past roadblocks is going to get them in trouble. Same with their focus on crew comfort and reliance on technology in how they weren’t going to have a backup pilot and hadn’t considered the autopilot could conk out, then that decision to redo the cockpit on a whim, showing how the CEO preaches having a company of equals but his snap decisions are the law.

my bet is that he doesn't actually change it, just makes it less obvious that the computers have the stick 99% of the time and puts a "pilots get stuff done" bumper sticker on the console

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

tokin opposition posted:

my bet is that he doesn't actually change it, just makes it less obvious that the computers have the stick 99% of the time and puts a "pilots get stuff done" bumper sticker on the console

Ed’s using the little brother controller.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I wonder what Ed thinks he's going to do to control the giant ship. Not like you can just grab a joystick and whip it around.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I took it as the same kind of astronaut bitching that ended up making the Shuttle manually controlled when NASA was planning for it to be automated.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I assume they aren't going that stupid and will just have a manual option in addition to the automation. There's really no need to have actual manual control of that ship. It would be better to just type in the direction you want it to point, and then have it burn for however long. Though it would be really hilarious to see Danny have to hold the ship at the right angle for 90 minutes while they do a burn. Meanwhile Ed is sitting in the captain chair with a drink saying "yeah, this is real man poo poo!"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's just that bit from The Right Stuff again

stuffy old scientists growling out "the capsule ... I mean .... :argh: spacecraft will have ... manual controls *teeth grind to powder*" while the good awesome cowboy astronauts look on like :smuggo:

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
i want them to find bona fide Star Trek aliens on Mars but it's reconciled with our timeline because we see a stray note that says "Year 2000 - Leave Mars Forever"

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Sivart13 posted:

i want them to find bona fide Star Trek aliens on Mars but it's reconciled with our timeline because we see a stray note that says "Year 2000 - Leave Mars Forever"

"You're lucky you showed up when you did. We were just about to shut down our planets core and erase all trace of our existence before leaving for a new star system."

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Trying to get people to watch this show is significantly harder than getting them to watch Ted Lasso or Severance. I don't understand.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It doesn’t sound as weird or exciting as Severance or as likeable as Lasso

It’s a hard sell but that means only the cool elite end up watching and loving it 😈

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It sits in a weird niche of history, alternate history, and space sci-fi. All of those are sometimes tricky to get people into, but I love all of them.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

in what world would a kgb director be allowed to just straight-up murder the head of the soviet space programme on british soil in the head of nasa's hotel room

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

QuoProQuid posted:

in what world would a kgb director be allowed to just straight-up murder the head of the soviet space programme on british soil in the head of nasa's hotel room

when you're in an american tv show that has to show the soviets as caricatures

they would have waited until he went back to russia

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Sivart13 posted:

All these worlds are yours. Except Europa. Attempt no landing there.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

QuoProQuid posted:

their hypersophsticated intelligence gathering techniques assured them she wouldn't call their bluff

alternatively if he died maybe they could have just played it off as a prank or misunderstanding

also nobody on the US side is watching Margo because girls have cooties

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

Not every problem can be solved by going to space, Ed!

I still hate all the Danny stuff but it is funny to me that Ed thinks the world of Danny.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Bananaquiter posted:

Not every problem can be solved by going to space, Ed!

I still hate all the Danny stuff but it is funny to me that Ed thinks the world of Danny.

For sure, definitely similar attitude he had with Gordo and in Ed’s mind it paid off as Gordo wound up going maximum space cowboy and saved Jonestown. Although big differences between Gordo and Danny, in how Gordo deep down was a troubled but good person, while Danny on the outside is a good person but badly needs serious help and should be nowhere near rockets.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

One of the things that gets me is how they keep going to the problem-solving well of having to fix things by doing an EVA and/or turning a hard-to-reach knob.

Waiting for a full on return of SPACE MADNESS from season one, maybe Ed will have to stop Danny from going for a walk to go "apartment hunting" before they reach Mars.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

QuoProQuid posted:

Oh man this made me laugh so hard.

I know everyone hates on the Daren plotline, but man this whole soviet skulduggery thing is way more out of the show's wheelhouse.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Danny on the outside is a good person but badly needs serious help and should be nowhere near rockets or Karen.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
They didn’t murder him fools

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Hyrax Attack! posted:

while Danny on the outside is a good person but badly needs serious help and should be nowhere near women

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Escobarbarian posted:

They didn’t murder him fools

Yeah they clearly never intended to murder him then and there, come on

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I’m bad at names, Danny is the guy who was training with Danielle, got drunk and broke into someone’s house, and then got hired by Helios?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yep. Gordo’s son who slept with Karen last season and is still obsessed with her. Ugh.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Hakkesshu posted:

Yeah they clearly never intended to murder him then and there, come on

in what world would a kgb director be authorized to straight-up murder the head of the soviet space programme in any context

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

QuoProQuid posted:

in what world would a kgb director be authorized to straight-up murder the head of the soviet space programme in any context

In the fantastic world of the hit Apple TV+ show, For All Mankind

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Some people really have trouble with the fact that this is a fictional television show

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
I know the answer is because otherwise there is no drama in the race, but if Helios' ship was in orbit already, why couldn't they work in secret and go to Mars in 1994 when everyone else was planning to go in 1996? They don't need to launch from Earth or the moon, so you don't need to set that up. You could work in secret with the training/command crew. Helios could've had a two year start.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

it’s just a dumb plot point piled on top of a series of dumb plot points portraying the soviet union as saturday morning cartoon villains. obviously, i still enjoy the show enough to watch it but, in a piece that otherwise tries to portray its characters realistically and with nuance, these beats take me out of the moment.

i just want the show to do more than flat stereotypes. if we’re going to spend substantial time with the Soviet Union, show the banal ways that life in the Soviet Union could be hard and painful instead of portraying it as a place where everyone is evil and crazy

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Silly Burrito posted:

I know the answer is because otherwise there is no drama in the race, but if Helios' ship was in orbit already, why couldn't they work in secret and go to Mars in 1994 when everyone else was planning to go in 1996? They don't need to launch from Earth or the moon, so you don't need to set that up. You could work in secret with the training/command crew. Helios could've had a two year start.

black elon musk is a glory hound who wants the honor and prestige now

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

tokin opposition posted:

when you're in an american tv show that has to show the soviets as caricatures

they would have waited until he went back to russia

Overall, the show has done a good job showing the Russians as a mx of good and bad people with complex motivations.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Silly Burrito posted:

As soon as they started putting the engines on it the gig would have been up and also both the US and USSR would probably be spying on them.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

QuoProQuid posted:

I don't think they intended to kill him in that London hotel room while the conference was going on. It would have made literally zero sense. The threat was clearly that he could "step down" at any point point and disappear forever and Margo would be left suspecting that he is dead for the rest of her life(whether they would actually kill him or not doesn't matter, the threat is credible enough that Margo would have to live with the doubt). They started choking him to get an emotional reaction out of her. Seeing someone you love dieing puts a lot more pressure on you than an abstract threat.

But yeah, as far as we know stuff like that didn't happen anymore post-Stalin. Dissidents were often imprisoned and defectors assassinated, but I can't think of a case of straight up sanctioned murder of a normal a citizen in good standing. Especially considering that Gorbachev is in power and he was generally more liberal. But of course Margo doesn't have that hindsight knowledge and has no idea how far they are actually willing to go.

Silly Burrito posted:

They weren't ready to launch in 94. It takes years of preparation, planning, training an testing. Stuff like the air locks of the habitat alone are probably a multi million development project that takes years and a team of engineers. It's a massive undertaking. They were still tinkering with the engines in 94. You also can't do something like that in secret. Space is a national security concerns, so contracting to build a huge as gently caress ship in orbit is not gonna go unnoticed.

GABA ghoul fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jun 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
The KGB just needs Margo to believe that they are crazy enough to kill Sergei, so acting like unhinged cartoon villains is actually a completely rational strategy.