Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Is there a Three Hopes thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Barreft posted:

Is there a Three Hopes thread?

yes

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I have never played an SMT game before but I just bought SMT V on sale because I’ve been feeling like “anime rpg” all weekend. Do I need to read summaries of what occurred in previous games or is this a good launching point?

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
SMT games are like Final Fantasy or (most) Legend of Zelda games, they’re standalone with at most a couple vague allusions to previous games.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

dr.acula posted:

I needed to replace my fan but the piece of poo poo trihead screw driver I ordered specifically for this, that said it was specifically for Switch, immediately stripped the first screw it touched. :bravo: Anyone have experience with this sort of thing? Its sticking half way out.

if the screw is sticking out you should be able to use some pliers, any with teeth really, to manually unscrew it. then replace it with a similar sized screw

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

dr.acula posted:

I needed to replace my fan but the piece of poo poo trihead screw driver I ordered specifically for this, that said it was specifically for Switch, immediately stripped the first screw it touched. :bravo: Anyone have experience with this sort of thing? Its sticking half way out.

Use mouth

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Continued with a bit of Shredder's Revenge. It's not great that you only get one save file at a time in story mode. I'm debating whether I want to live it on easy mode for just chill foot bashing, while trying arcade to get better, or make it hard and do chill foot bashing in arcade. The former seems better for the moment. Do the characters also level up in Arcade mode? It doesn't seem like they would.

The faster characters are the most fun for sure. I need to finish maxing Mikey and April, who're both at level 8. Raphael was fun too the one level I tried him for. Leo was tough as was Donatello. They're speed really makes you need to think about committing. I have yet to try the last two, but I suspect the speed factor will continue to play out.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

LuckyCat posted:

I have never played an SMT game before but I just bought SMT V on sale because I’ve been feeling like “anime rpg” all weekend. Do I need to read summaries of what occurred in previous games or is this a good launching point?

There's a whole bunch of platforming and getting lost

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
You will enjoy the latest role playing game from atlus on your nintendo switch video entertainment system.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Capcom Fighting Collection is pretty dope. I own every flavor of Street Fighter across 3 carts now. It also came with codes for bonus art, and for the Three Wonders game, but I don't know that one.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Waffle! posted:

Capcom Fighting Collection is pretty dope. I own every flavor of Street Fighter across 3 carts now. It also came with codes for bonus art, and for the Three Wonders game, but I don't know that one.

Three Wonders is for a second arcade collection releasing in a months time
Red Earth is hard, beautifully animated and complete bullshit for the alt endings
never continue? its a coin eating boss rush gently caress you!!!!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
If I pumped a billion hours into the Tactics Ogre remake for the Vita, would I enjoy Triangle Strategy?

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

AlternateNu posted:

If I pumped a billion hours into the Tactics Ogre remake for the Vita, would I enjoy Triangle Strategy?

oh god yes get it

no sarcasm

e: everyone will recommend it to you. it's honestly great.

Barreft fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jun 26, 2022

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Barreft posted:

oh god yes get it

no sarcasm

Absolutely yes. I'm playing it right now

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The demo is extensive so give it a shot, saves carry over

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

i play and beat games in one long session like a real gamer

This is doable for Kirby.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Barreft posted:

There's a whole bunch of platforming and getting lost

Thank u I just finished the first boss and so far it’s not boring

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
They should have put both Saturday Night Slam Master games in the collection. Instead, they're only putting the first game on Capcom Arcade Stadium 2 and not the second one for some reason.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Never played Dark Souls but picked it up on sale and man, it's great to have this game mobile...loving it so far (suck tho).

I've played a small bit of Elden Ring (like 15 hours back in February), realized it will spoil basically everything else for me and went back to play BOTW and this i guess. It's been great fun.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

External Organs posted:

I've played a small bit of Elden Ring (like 15 hours back in February), realized it will spoil basically everything else for me

Yeah...

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Pretty much lol

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

External Organs posted:

Never played Dark Souls but picked it up on sale and man, it's great to have this game mobile...loving it so far (suck tho).

I've played a small bit of Elden Ring (like 15 hours back in February), realized it will spoil basically everything else for me and went back to play BOTW and this i guess. It's been great fun.

:dudsmile:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

How are the Switch ports of the Shadowrun games?

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
I wish there was some website or youtube channel dedicated to how every Switch port ran and how it looks in handheld mode. Specifically if things are too tiny to see in handheld. It's THE question I have for every game before I buy it, and no one is filling that niche as far as I know.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

LuckyCat posted:

Most SMT games starts with the end of the world (2 is a direct sequel and 4 starts a little later) so, no, there's no actual connective tissues between them except for concepts. And maybe like you'll get a vision of 'another world' or something as an offhand bit of description.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Having played Dark Souls after Elden Ring, it feels like it just doesn't want you to have any idea where to go or what to do next which I flip between finding incredibly frustrating and incredibly immersive depending on how badly I am getting owned by skeletons

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Having played Dark Souls after Elden Ring, it feels like it just doesn't want you to have any idea where to go or what to do next which I flip between finding incredibly frustrating and incredibly immersive depending on how badly I am getting owned by skeletons

If you want to be slightly spoiled there are progress guides which will just give you an indication of which order to do the areas in.
That's definitely one thing that made elden ring so good, if you hit a brick wall in a particular area there's about 500 different things to try.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Flubby posted:

I wish there was some website or youtube channel dedicated to how every Switch port ran and how it looks in handheld mode. Specifically if things are too tiny to see in handheld. It's THE question I have for every game before I buy it, and no one is filling that niche as far as I know.

I think if Digital Foundry specifically went out of their way to talk about text size in every review they did rather than the really bad cases, it would have an effect. Even just dedicating 30 seconds to say it's good.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I recently tried turning on my TV's "TruMotion" feature while using the Switch, and the results are honestly kind of astounding. It makes 30fps games look like they're running in 60+fps; I can't visually tell much of a difference between this and genuine higher framerates. The "motion smoothing" stuff on TVs always feels a little strange/uncanny when watching movies or any sort of live action stuff, but it seems to be remarkably effective at making games seem like they're running with a higher framerate than they actually are. It's particularly noticeable when doing stuff like panning a camera (panning the camera in big 3d open-world type games is probably one of the few situations where the limitations of 30fps are really noticeable). It's possible that there might be some strangeness resulting from this that is noticeable in higher resolutions, but in 1080p I can't notice anything weird.

edit: I get the impression that there might be artifacts around edges, but it's just hard to notice because the game I'm playing (Xenoblade 2) has fuzzy edges to everything to begin with.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jun 26, 2022

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

I recently tried turning on my TV's "TruMotion" feature while using the Switch, and the results are honestly kind of astounding. It makes 30fps games look like they're running in 60+fps; I can't visually tell much of a difference between this and genuine higher framerates. The "motion smoothing" stuff on TVs always feels a little strange/uncanny when watching movies or any sort of live action stuff, but it seems to be remarkably effective at making games seem like they're running with a higher framerate than they actually are. It's particularly noticeable when doing stuff like panning a camera (panning the camera in big 3d open-world type games is probably one of the few situations where the limitations of 30fps are really noticeable). It's possible that there might be some strangeness resulting from this that is noticeable in higher resolutions, but in 1080p I can't notice anything weird.

edit: I get the impression that there might be artifacts around edges, but it's just hard to notice because the game I'm playing (Xenoblade 2) has fuzzy edges to everything to begin with.

I've tried that for games before but the input lag can be a problem

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Neon White is pure bliss and I am frustrated at my friends are not really seeing that. Well, it's more that they're playing other idiot games like League of Legends or OverWatch

I genuinely feel exactly the way I felt when I first played guitar hero. This experience is so loving freeeeesh I literally feel like I finished a hard work out whenever I'm done playing this stupid game for the evening

I'm doing my part by uploading really sick clips of some of my best runs on social media. We need other nerds playing this game!!!

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Someone tried to explain Neon White to me and started with "card-based" and my brain instantly went into sleep mode.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I'm sorry to hear that! The cards just represent weapon pickups, but really they're just weapons that you can instantly burn for an ability movement like a double jump or dashing across the sky

So nothing is really card based at all! Whoever you were speaking to sounds like they are bad at English

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I kind of love the card aesthetic honestly but somebody else asked me if it was turn-based after seeing a screenshot... I'm wondering if maybe it's throwing some people off?

It's probably easier to describe it as a more action focused mirror's edge, but with bite size levels that barely last more than 30 seconds once you master them so it's insanely hard to put it down. Having to choose between holding onto your weapon or instantly sacrificing it for a single movement ability is GENIUS especially because the devs seem to have designed the levels really well around this

Anytime I nail a level I just sit there thinking hell yeah brother...I'm good at locomotion n poo poo

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Bleck posted:

Someone tried to explain Neon White to me and started with "card-based" and my brain instantly went into sleep mode.
Instead of listening to a dumb person you could just watch literally 6 seconds of gameplay. It’s an extremely fast paced platformer with limited movement resources (the cards) that make each level a kind of puzzle.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I really hope the game explodes in popularity. Then again, I heard about it through podcasts and stuff so maybe it's already going through that phase

Haven't been this excited about a video game in a very long time! Feels nice

E: motion controls on switch are absolute game changers for this game

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Jun 26, 2022

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Ytlaya posted:

This increases the processing time of the image so you're adding additional input delay.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

LuckyCat posted:

Very loose connection and the game mostly fills you in on that connection. In all mainline SMT games the Christian God is a real entity and the world is usually ending or has ended. Sometimes it’s not the “same” world which is why it keeps ending

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

KingSlime posted:

I really hope the game explodes in popularity. Then again, I heard about it through podcasts and stuff so maybe it's already going through that phase

Haven't been this excited about a video game in a very long time! Feels nice

E: motion controls on switch are absolute game changers for this game

I’ve been playing without them because I feel like stuff is precise enough accidentally shifting off course will mess me up a lot but I’ve been watching speedruns where aiming and shooting accurately seems to be a lot more important than it is right now (got through the third “world”)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

KingSlime posted:

Whoever you were speaking to sounds like they are bad at English

I don't think it's physically possible to have a description of a video game that involves the word 'card' that does not instantly teleport my body into the nearest bed.

Like yeah I could look up gameplay, and to be clear probably will, but "it's a platformer where your actions are limited resources represented by cards you collect" is, like, gently caress, I almost dozed off a little even typing that sardonically,