Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
cannibalistic consumption of human remains, in particular fat for quasi magical medicinal/ritual use was common for most of european history into the victorians i wanna say. iirc it was found so repulsive by some of the inhabitants of the new world there are reports of isolated communities passing around stories of the cannibals from across the sea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/BillKristol/status/1538923272514961411

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
People used to consume ground up mummies medicinally

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Mummy brown paint was used well into the 20th century.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

it's a nice color

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Spanish sources will talk about the "myth" that they were eating indigenous people, and explain that they were only boiling them in large pots to grease their cannons and make ointments.

Also, we don't have accurate numbers of Aztec human sacrifices, any numbers you see are based on the Spanish witnesses comparing the mass sacrifices the Spanish Inquisition.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

stalin def fought w/ clowns

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

those clowns in the kremlin are at it again

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chamale posted:

Spanish sources will talk about the "myth" that they were eating indigenous people, and explain that they were only boiling them in large pots to grease their cannons and make ointments.

Also, we don't have accurate numbers of Aztec human sacrifices, any numbers you see are based on the Spanish witnesses comparing the mass sacrifices the Spanish Inquisition.

jesus christ

:actually:

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Nosfereefer posted:

yea, and he beat trotsky too

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Nosfereefer posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/176th_Infantry_Division

quote:

It had a strength of about 7,000 men, most of whom were in a poor shape. The division was nicknamed the "kranken division" (sick division), because it was mostly made up of men deemed unfit for military service, such as the physically handicapped and men with severe allergies. One battalion consisted of men with serious hearing maladies, two comprised Luftwaffe personnel, (but with ample infantry training), while many others were convalescents and semi-invalids.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Also Stalin invented Eurovision

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

suspiciously progressive for the nazis

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Antonymous posted:

suspiciously progressive for the nazis

Hans and 300 other guys with severe peanut allergies who've never been out of their mother's apartment sit in the bunker under the light of a single bulb, clutching their submachine guns and panzerfausts, awaiting the Russian assault

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Demon_Corsair posted:

Can anyone recommend a good history of the Korean War? I just started listening to the when diplomacy fails podcast and... Yikes.

It starts off by talking about drat crazy the north Koreans are making nukes in the 21st century.

Then we get into the cold war primer about how Stalin was too paranoid and made a terrible mistake by not accepting the Marshall plan. Naturally this plan was in good faith and with no strings attached.

I had no idea that the Marshall plan was even offered to the soviets, does anyone know why they turned it down?

E: the Korean War was apparently mostly Stalins fault because he wanted China to fight the us. Hovever the host graciously allows thay the US was also looking to benefit from the conflict before it started..

Not sure if you got the answers you wanted but i'd recommend 2 books:

The Korean War - Bruce Cumings
The US Imperialists Started the Korean War

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Cumings has a lot of good stuff out there about the Korean War and the DPRK in general. I don't recall if he's a marxist, but he's extremely symptomatic to the plight of the North Korean peoples.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Cumings has a lot of good stuff out there about the Korean War and the DPRK in general. I don't recall if he's a marxist, but he's extremely symptomatic to the plight of the North Korean peoples.

Sympathetic auto correct/predict?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

That book sounds great and I'm going to read it once I finish America Aflame by David Goldfield, which is completely loving useless. Avoid, avoid, avoid. I recommend that you even avoid somebody who recommends this book. You don't need to cut them out of your life entirely, but take everything they say with a Yapese grain of salt, and don't actively seek out their company.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

quote:

In this spellbinding history, David Goldfield offers the first major new interpretation of the Civil War era since James M. McPherson's Battle Cry of Freedom. Where other scholars have seen the conflict as a triumph of freedom, Goldfield paints it as America's greatest failure: a breakdown of society caused by the infusion of evangelical religion into the world of politics.

The price of that failure was horrific, but the carnage accomplished what statesmen could not: It made the United States one nation and eliminated the divisive force of slavery. The victorious North moved ahead, a land of innovation and industry. Religion was supplanted by a gospel of economic and scientific progress, and the South was left behind. The "fiery trial" of war transformed our country-a conflagration captured in vivid detail in America Aflame.

haha what

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Every sentence of that is stupid in a radically different way

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I am filled with hate for historians, having read that

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

You guys just read the summary, I've read about one and a quarter pounds of it!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
You don't have to finish a bad book just because you've already started

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Chamale posted:

We know that it was a lot:
https://www.science.org/content/article/feeding-gods-hundreds-skulls-reveal-massive-scale-human-sacrifice-aztec-capital

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I was looking through pics I have saved on my phone and this came up, thpught I'd share:

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

smh at the flagrant disregard shown to the segregated history threads rule that was enacted by mods who who left their position under very respectable circumstances

https://mobile.twitter.com/AuthorKimberley/status/1540812689747984392

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

yeah starting to think we should have one history thread - means we might get more history to read for those of us who like to read history posts about history. I don't mean historical posts. I mean posts ABOUT history.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I disagree, the more threads the better. We should have a prehistory thread too.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Modern history begins in 1492

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

january 17, 1793 is a pretty good demarcation date

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Grevling posted:

I disagree, the more threads the better. We should have a prehistory thread too.

i like posting about dinosaurs in the premodern history thread but no one ever replies :smith:

two-time fee
Jan 13, 2022

gradenko_2000 posted:

You don't have to finish a bad book just because you've already started

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

StashAugustine posted:

Modern history begins in 1492

1453 imo

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Dameius posted:

Sympathetic auto correct/predict?

Yep owned by phone posting.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Modern history begins on July 16, 1945, the first day that human beings were able to stand on an equal footing with God and spit in God's face

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

History ended in 1991 actually

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
We need five threads:

Pre-history
Pre-modern history
Modern history
Post-modern history