Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Sensenmann posted:

You need the Keycards to actually launch a nuke. The code pieces, not so much. You can do it once the legit way, which means hunting down the Officers, getting the silo pieces and decrypting the whole thing but, ultimately, you don't need to.

https://nukacrypt.com/

Go there for the weekly codes.

For the first time in a silo, without photomode glitching and cutting the whole run short, bring Stimpacks and enough ammo. There are a lot of bots in there, so a Troubleshooter weapon and/or armor or the Chinese Stealth suit helps a lot. Sneak as much as you can and during the launch prep stage, try to stay as stationary as possible. The amount of bots the game throws at you during the final phase depends on how loud you are and how much you move around. Also keep in mind that Assaultrons are allergic to getting kneecapped. ;)

Also, and I can't stress this enough, make sure you use the correct code for the silo you are in and bring 1 extra keycard. If you run Alpha, you need the code for Alpha. Not the one for Bravo or Charlie. Sounds obvious but you wouldn't be the first to enter the wrong code after you had your first successful run. :)

Finally, Silos are NOT instanced. Anyone can go in and blast past you to launch before you at any given time. Happens, try a different silo or jump servers.

Since Scorched Earth is currently broken and gives no quest rewards it might be a good time to get it done now since most fling nukes for the Flux and repair kits anyways.

Ooh I had a feeling they'd throw bots at you. The game LOVES to throw bots at you. That means I'll bring out some power armor and one of my miniguns. I have a troubleshooter railway rifle but that is not going to be that effective. I guess I could also reroll my .50cal hoping for troubleshooter.

I think getting 3* legendary enemies might be easiest doing Eviction Notice. Or just by doing other quests as I often see them there, just not as many and they don't melt as fast as they do during the events.

I was wondering why I wasn't seeing any Scorched Earth events, but that means I should be seeing more Earls or people dropping them on Morgontown/Whitesprings.

EDIT: I completed the 10 tasks in basically 2 hours of just playing so yea that wasn't hard as all.

Double Edit: Its only been like 4 days since the new scorecard and i'm already like 1/6th of the way through it. I hope i can complete it because that power armor at the end looks super cool.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jun 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

EDIT: I completed the 10 tasks in basically 2 hours of just playing so yea that wasn't hard as all.

Double Edit: Its only been like 4 days since the new scorecard and i'm already like 1/6th of the way through it. I hope i can complete it because that power armor at the end looks super cool.

Every rank the score requirement increases by 25, so you can easily do 10-20 ranks in the first week, but around rank 70 you can get ~1 rank every day and more on tuesdays when the weekly challenges reset. This is based on the daily challenges and not farming exp at West Tek.

I joined a team with Sensenmann this morning, it's always great to play with people who joins events and knows what's going on. By the way, your camp is placed right on top of an aggressive molerat spawn. :v:

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

Psychedelicatessen posted:

I joined a team with Sensenmann this morning, it's always great to play with people who joins events and knows what's going on. By the way, your camp is placed right on top of an aggressive molerat spawn. :v:

Which one was you? I think I did Encryptid, Riding Shotgun and a DO between my dailies. Drop me a request in the game, if you like.

As for the molerats, you actually witnessed something rare. I've had maybe 10 Molerat attacks over the last 2 years. When I moved in I thought it would be a busy spot but, nope, it's a surprisingly peaceful and quiet. The NAR, Emmett Mountain DS and West Tek are basically around the corner and yet the biggest "problems" I have there are the occasional Scorchbeasts getting aggroed by the Ticks down at the lake and my camp gets minor collateral damage from the damned thing screaming in every direction. When I still had turrets I got attacked constantly, that stopped when I scrapped them. :v:

Edit: Re: Scoreboard

The rank 25 reward is a Derby Machine that gives a +2 Intelligence buff. Not an awful lot but it adds up. Lasts for 30 minutes. Not particularly useful to me since I'm in my max Int build but for anyone not being a weirdo it's a nice to have.

And let me tell you, Eviction Notice as full Int build is hilarious. Every single mutant is 4k XP and there are a TON. I get way over 1 level per event and at my level you need 165k XP to level up. ;)

Sensenmann fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Jun 20, 2022

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Sensenmann posted:

Which one was you? I think I did Encryptid, Riding Shotgun and a DO between my dailies. Drop me a request in the game, if you like.

Erdudk, the one with the NW power armor icon. You logged out right before a Moonshine Jamboree started.

I'm trying to get some good ranged weapons for Friendly Fire, so far I've made a quad pyro crusader pistol.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Every rank the score requirement increases by 25, so you can easily do 10-20 ranks in the first week, but around rank 70 you can get ~1 rank every day and more on tuesdays when the weekly challenges reset. This is based on the daily challenges and not farming exp at West Tek.

Oh yea I figured that, but getting through the first bit as fast as you can leaves more time for the harder ranks. The last one If i had one more day I could have at least gotten the vault tech paint for the .50 cal.

Ugh I guess mannequins are out of the atomic shop for now. I forgot that things rotate in and our of it, and should have bought them earlier. Its so weird a basic display item like that is super hard to get. I want to display all the funky outfits I have.

And drat the x01 mods are expensive, Good thing I had a good amount of caps saved up so I could get some of the more useful ones. That carry weight mod is a must but its 5600 caps, and of course it needs 5 violet fluxes.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jun 20, 2022

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

Erdudk, the one with the NW power armor icon. You logged out right before a Moonshine Jamboree started.

I'm trying to get some good ranged weapons for Friendly Fire, so far I've made a quad pyro crusader pistol.

Ranged weapons that trigger FF are kinda rare. The Crusader Pistol with the pyro mod, the Bow/Compound Bow with flame arrows, the Crossbow with the flame frame, the Hellstorm Missile Launcher with the napalm mod and the Flamer. I think that's it.

Basically, you already have the second best option, the best being a Flamer. AA/Bloodied for PA users, Vampire for everyone else. A V Flamer with 90% weight reduction is a good choice as backup weapon for non heavies as it hits hard enough even without the heavy weapon perks and if something survives longer, Vampire keeps you alive.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

And drat the x01 mods are expensive, Good thing I had a good amount of caps saved up so I could get some of the more useful ones. That carry weight mod is a must but its 5600 caps, and of course it needs 5 violet fluxes.

Cal Shocks, the Targetting HUD, Jetpack OR Emergency Protocols. That's about all you need.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Sensenmann posted:

Cal Shocks, the Targetting HUD, Jetpack OR Emergency Protocols. That's about all you need.

Ooh I'll get some of those next time I'm playing.

I'm trying to clear out my quests, and to do the free states quests you need to do all of Rose's quests, brutal.

I also had weird bug last night where events would just fail even though the fail state had not been reached. Like moonshine mayhem we had 26 seconds left, the lowest still still had 40% left on and there were no enemies and it just failed. Campfire tales just failed out of the gate. It was weird. I was also not getting message about events starting. I probably could have fixed it if I had restarted or just logged out but I was on one of those super active servers where everyone was doing stuff and it was great. All the bullion, script and loots.

Though when I realized I had 3k steel scrap and about 2k wood scrap I realized I needed to dump stuff. Whomever checked the cigarette machine at Sutton station is going to have a good time.

Eviction Notice is such a bonkers event. There was a point I had 12k 5mm ammo just from doing it. Also is fantastic for plastic because super mutants carry laser guns along with the assault rifles and mini guns, and they give 10 plastic per gun. Let me bulk up some of my rarer mats.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
That fail bug, speficially the Moonshine Jamboree one, might be related to the AOE of the Gulper acid or to enemies stuck inside the stills. Haven't had it yet but it's a known thing and is being investigated, according to the Beth Discord.

Also, I feel as if success at Eviction Notice should not be measured in XP, it should be measured in how overencumbered you got looting everything. Personal best so far is ~1900 lbs, which immediately triggered the carry weight 1500+ penalty. For those who don't know, once you are at 1501 lbs you can't drop or trade items until you are back below it. So if any of you ever hit this, make sure you only drop stuff you don't care about. Many mules lost valuable items because of this poo poo. lol

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Sensenmann posted:

For those who don't know, once you are at 1501 lbs you can't drop or trade items until you are back below it. So if any of you ever hit this, make sure you only drop stuff you don't care about. Many mules lost valuable items because of this poo poo. lol
If you can't drop things, how are you supposed to shed weight?

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

Father Wendigo posted:

If you can't drop things, how are you supposed to shed weight?

You can drop stuff but it will get destroyed. Forgot to add that to my post.

Whatever you drop will be treated as if it's an untradable item and it vanishes into the void.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

76 is on sale right now and I've been tempted by it for quite a while. I like the setting and huge monsters while building a base looks fun. It also looks like they've added a lot of content (and also removed some, I thought the BR mode looked fun) since the game launched and I like that it's online with other players wandering about and events happening.

Would I be completely overwhelmed jumping into this as my first Fallout game? Recent posts give the impression that it can be quite confusing to start? No idea if it makes a difference but would be buying on Xbox and I was hoping it could be played somewhat casually, are the daily/weekly things really important or is it possible to hop on occasionally and do whatever without missing out on a lot of things?

I've watched various update trailers that look really fun, with varied quests in all sorts of locations and also the random monster attacks being a draw, but I'm also unsure if some of the content I've seen was promoting time-limited events that are no longer there?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
- it's not as complex as it looks
- it's not as difficult as a lot of people make it out to be, especially by MMO standards
- it's not really possible to mess up your character, just keep leveling and you will have enough "leveling currency" to fix whatever hosed up dumb bullshit you had in mind when you didn't know anything
e: if I'm not clear, these are all good points in the game's favor, give it a try especially if it's on sale

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
Adding to Flesh Forges post:

You can play the game as casual or as hardcore as you want, it's all up to you.

There are a couple of time-limited events but the only one that's definitely gone is Mischief Night. A Halloween event that was quite fun but extremely unstable. The rewards for those have been moved to other events.

All the time-limited events are on a rotation with no fixed schedule. They come at least once a year and run for a week, sometimes two. One of them, the Mothman Equinox, happens to come back next week.

Also, should you ever have question or need help, ask here or jump on the Discord. :)

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Stranger in a Strange Land
To echo the above sentiments, I started playing the game very recently, and the new game disorientation lasted a very short time. Within a couple hours I was happily stumbling along, shooting irradiated wildlife and hoarding desk fans and typewriters.

Honestly, if this is your first Fallout game, you'll likely have a better experience than if you had played the other 3D Fallout games, since you'll have no preconceptions going in. It's a fun game, and worth trying out.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Flesh Forge posted:

- it's not as difficult as a lot of people make it out to be, especially by MMO standards

I wish it was harder. It could be a really cool survival game, all the guts are there.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The hardest thing is balancing your inventory. There are certain things you NEED but how much of it do you actually need? I'd happily pay for atomics if i could increase my stash size by like 500 or some.

The next hardest thing are floaters and bloodbugs. I have no idea how bloodbugs can drain my health so god drat quickly.

The only thing that might be weird is the world itself. Its not our future, its a future of an alternative history. My theory and headcanon is that the youth culture revolution of the 50s never really happened or at least didn't catch on. That people all remained very square and conservative, which meant red scare became embedded in American culture, and there was never any serious anti war/peace/progressive movements in the US to moderate it.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

The hardest thing is balancing your inventory. There are certain things you NEED but how much of it do you actually need? I'd happily pay for atomics if i could increase my stash size by like 500 or some.

The next hardest thing are floaters and bloodbugs. I have no idea how bloodbugs can drain my health so god drat quickly.

The only thing that might be weird is the world itself. Its not our future, its a future of an alternative history. My theory and headcanon is that the youth culture revolution of the 50s never really happened or at least didn't catch on. That people all remained very square and conservative, which meant red scare became embedded in American culture, and there was never any serious anti war/peace/progressive movements in the US to moderate it.

it feels like it's actually the regular 60s when the nukes fell, but it's actually 2077 for fallout day - so the 50s trappings are actually a retro swing back to that style in about 50 years ahead of our future, THEN the nukes fall and the games take place generally decades later

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

One of the big nerd fan theories is that all the 50's cultural stuff was a result of the Fallout world pre-war being so unimaginably terrible that people wholeheartedly adopted the aesthetics of the 'better years' (again, aesthetically, not all the other horrible stuff). Doesn't really make sense considering the black and white TVs and big clunky technology but it is a fun theory. Technologically, it's generally accepted among lore dweebs that the miniaturization of the 50s and 60s never happened until like right before the bombs fell, hence all the vacuum tubes etc.

Overall, one description of the way the writers would have designed it I heard that I like is that it's a 90's view of a 50's view of the future.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Forty bucks still? drop the price Bethesda

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
All that stuff is wildly overthinking it. It's just the future that was promised to us in the pages of Popular Mechanics and the like. A weird combination of the optimistic and totally wrong. Where anything is possible except for the culture changing in any way.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Gaius Marius posted:

Forty bucks still? drop the price Bethesda

It was 13bux in every steam sale, and you have PC gamepass its on there.

Arivia posted:

it feels like it's actually the regular 60s when the nukes fell, but it's actually 2077 for fallout day - so the 50s trappings are actually a retro swing back to that style in about 50 years ahead of our future, THEN the nukes fall and the games take place generally decades later

Its pretty clear the timeline is very different post ww2, so i don't think there was ever any move away from the 50s/early 60s look for everything. I know its bethesda fallout, but their old world lore makes it sound a lot like the US culture ever evolved beyond there. Most fallout theories concerning the timeline focus on the tech but I honestly think its way more cultural. Like for one thing, there is zero rock and roll. That was such a huge cultural force, and the best we have are the Kings in New Vegas. Maybe the turning point is that Elvis was not let on TV and therefor never gained his massive popularity and ended up just has a side show in Vegas?

But yea one of the tragedies of the fallout world is they were like on the cusp of a post scarcity society with the tech you see in Dead Money and Old World Blues. But it was pretty clear the government of the US felt it was best to just blow everything up and start all over.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

IIRC one of the big parts of the Fallout timeline is that transistors were never a thing, so everything was still vacuum tubes and all, which greatly limited certain developments.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

twistedmentat posted:

It was 13bux in every steam sale, and you have PC gamepass its on there.

It's pretty much a permanent fixture of gamepass since MS bought Bethesda.

I can see 76 being a lot more fun if I didn't play 3/NV/4 beforehand. If you're enjoying 76 and it's your first Fallout, go back and play New Vegas. You will not regret it, even if you don't like the western motif. Hands down the best story of the 3D Fallouts, lots of replay value, tons of poo poo to find, and deathclaws are actually vicious enough to avoid instead of hunt. And conveniently on gamepass, too.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
FO76 is the best unmodded fallout theme park experience in 2022.

But the real good poo poo is when you mod, and there's no modding scene in FO76, so you go to one of the older FO games if it hooks you and mod that game till it is unrecognizble. Then... If this new thing really got you by the balls, you get the Paradox WW2 game Hearts of Iron 4 and mod that into being fallout.

I have not yet ascended to the next plans of nodding existence.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I also think part of the idea is culture tried to move on and the 50s aesthetic and values were in large part enforced from above.

People that tried to do anything to progress past it probably got dealt with violently, to a far more comprehensive degree than IRL. And while this was mostly focused on stuff like labour/civil rights/LGBTQ/feminism you probably had censors sending secret police after rockers and comedians and what not.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

A Sometimes Food posted:

I also think part of the idea is culture tried to move on and the 50s aesthetic and values were in large part enforced from above.

People that tried to do anything to progress past it probably got dealt with violently, to a far more comprehensive degree than IRL. And while this was mostly focused on stuff like labour/civil rights/LGBTQ/feminism you probably had censors sending secret police after rockers and comedians and what not.

Fallout 76 deals a lot with the repression of labor, and the way it portrays it is really good. Highly recommend it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

10 dollars will do it lads. Time to see if this game is any good

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

What are the best Legendary effects for a Lever Action Rifle? I'm running the Chinese Stealth suit if it matters, so big into stealth.

Edit: I don't use a Bloodied build.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jun 24, 2022

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

DaysBefore posted:

One of the big nerd fan theories is that all the 50's cultural stuff was a result of the Fallout world pre-war being so unimaginably terrible that people wholeheartedly adopted the aesthetics of the 'better years' (again, aesthetically, not all the other horrible stuff). Doesn't really make sense considering the black and white TVs and big clunky technology but it is a fun theory. Technologically, it's generally accepted among lore dweebs that the miniaturization of the 50s and 60s never happened until like right before the bombs fell, hence all the vacuum tubes etc.

Overall, one description of the way the writers would have designed it I heard that I like is that it's a 90's view of a 50's view of the future.

Or, if you know anything about the real world, you'll think "ah, revivalism" and stop thinking about it.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Admiral Joeslop posted:

What are the best Legendary effects for a Lever Action Rifle? I'm running the Chinese Stealth suit if it matters, so big into stealth.

Edit: I don't use a Bloodied build.

- Anti-Armor is pretty much always very good
- Faster Fire Rate for the 2nd slot is very good if you're not at the point where you 1-shot most things

unless you are super fast at acquiring targets and/or have trouble managing your AP, you probably don't care that much about reduced VATS cost but it is nice in cases like boss events where you are constantly surrounded. Quad for the same reason.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Is there a reason I can't use the "Nearby Corpses" button even when I'm surrounded by corpses, besides just lol bethesda?

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Fallout 76 deals a lot with the repression of labor, and the way it portrays it is really good. Highly recommend it.

Yeah that was fantastically handled, and was such a consistent throughline for almost all the pre-war location stories.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Is there a reason I can't use the "Nearby Corpses" button even when I'm surrounded by corpses, besides just lol bethesda?

This is an annoying goddamned bug. Just look away from the corpse and then back. Seriously.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
The in game labor stories are a special chef's Koss after the fallout 76 labor expose

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I love how the 2* legendary handmade i got that has ignore armor and reduced VATs cost is better than the vampire with faster reload and +25 DR while reloading.

As i've progressed to basically the end of the original main storyline, i know one of the major complaints about gameplay is the lack of and regular humans to interact with. It was just Ghouls and Scorched, i don't think the cultists were in there at the start. Anyways, as the story unfolds, it actually gives a good reason that all the survivors died out. Hell its spelled out in one of the Overseerers holos, they couldn't work together, and they couldn't alone defeat the scorched. Though it seems like that wouldn't have mattered because there was no plague cure or prevention in the early game. Even the Enclave couldn't work together, but that was more due to some of them being a bit more genocidal than the others.

It is funny how the rich people just decided to start killing everyone else and taking their poo poo, while even the cops tried to help. But then ever the raiders were varied, with only the Gourmands being excessively evil.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

I love how the 2* legendary handmade i got that has ignore armor and reduced VATs cost is better than the vampire with faster reload and +25 DR while reloading.

As i've progressed to basically the end of the original main storyline, i know one of the major complaints about gameplay is the lack of and regular humans to interact with. It was just Ghouls and Scorched, i don't think the cultists were in there at the start. Anyways, as the story unfolds, it actually gives a good reason that all the survivors died out. Hell its spelled out in one of the Overseerers holos, they couldn't work together, and they couldn't alone defeat the scorched. Though it seems like that wouldn't have mattered because there was no plague cure or prevention in the early game. Even the Enclave couldn't work together, but that was more due to some of them being a bit more genocidal than the others.

It is funny how the rich people just decided to start killing everyone else and taking their poo poo, while even the cops tried to help. But then ever the raiders were varied, with only the Gourmands being excessively evil.

Appalachia was incredibly boring before Wastelanders. The idea of having an entire place depopulated and only bots, holotapes and letters or whatever serving as story telling pieces sounds kinda neat but it didn't really make for a fun game. Maybe another dev could have pulled this off but FO76 failed.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, you have to realize that all the writing to "explain" why there's no humans in Appalachia was done because they made a conscious decision not to have human NPCs. It wasn't the other way around where the best possible story they could come up with required a lack of human NPCs.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I would've much rather experienced the fall of Appalachian society first-hand than read about it adterwards. They did totally nail the pre-war hell though, you get a great idea of just how awful the corpo-fascist nightmare was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I genuinely liked the story better before Wastelanders.