Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Yeah, it never happened before the last DLC, but now Im getting lots of gifts too

Its fair but at the same time I always thought that the AI not sending gifts to the player made sense because unlike the AI we are not obligated to actually like the character sending the gift. The AI is basically throwing money at you for nothing unless you feel like roleplaying

edit: maybe there should be some mechanic using stress to stimulate the player not to do bad things for characters his character is supposed to like or something like that

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jun 24, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Ugh, hate it when I know someone is trying to murder me, and I even know who it is, and I still can’t stop it. Doesn’t help that my 95% chance to murder them first failed. Sometimes you’re just unlucky I guess.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Elias_Maluco posted:

Yeah, it never happened before the last DLC, but now Im getting lots of gifts too

Its fair but at the same time I always thought that the AI not sending gifts to the player made sense because unlike the AI we are not obligated to actually like the character sending the gift. The AI is basically throwing money at you for nothing unless you feel like roleplaying

edit: maybe there should be some mechanic using stress to stimulate the player not to do bad things for characters his character is supposed to like or something like that

I do actually try to avoid acting against rulers who butter up my character, but it's of course purely a roleplaying choice. Tying stress into this is a great idea that I hadn't considered before.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Bird in a Blender posted:

Ugh, hate it when I know someone is trying to murder me, and I even know who it is, and I still can’t stop it. Doesn’t help that my 95% chance to murder them first failed. Sometimes you’re just unlucky I guess.

I remember there being a few things you could do about this in ck2. Imprison yourself, imprison them, be at war, be at war with them? Lotsa oddball things. You can also buy insurance with dynasty or lifestyle perks.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Bird in a Blender posted:

Pretty much all you can do is find the best spymaster possible and set them on disrupt.

For those who don't know, find an unmarried courtier, look for a spouse and rank by intrigue. No landed rulers obviously. Unless you have gay marriage check with both male and female courtiers for best result. Matrilineal marriage if the courtier is a woman just to be safe. Easy 20+ intrigue spymaster in most situations.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

SlothBear posted:

Pretty much all you can do is find the best spymaster possible and set them on disrupt.

For those who don't know, find an unmarried courtier, look for a spouse and rank by intrigue. No landed rulers obviously. Unless you have gay marriage check with both male and female courtiers for best result. Matrilineal marriage if the courtier is a woman just to be safe. Easy 20+ intrigue spymaster in most situations.

This is also how you get good knights for your army. Also one of the reasons to always change to equal, so you double the number of potential knights and advisors.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Is there a good let's play series that can help me learn the ropes of this game? I tried playing during launch and my brain just melted at the complexities. I also sucked at warfare and didn't really know what I was doing, even though I'd spent a lot of time reading up on the various stuff.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
is the blood legacy tree still considered the best to go for? Might be for me as I currently have an heir with a bunch of characteristics I suppose

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Jose posted:

is the blood legacy tree still considered the best to go for? Might be for me as I currently have an heir with a bunch of characteristics I suppose

I think Plunder is actually better if you have access to it, for the level 4 unlock. After that Blood an Kin are still probably the best.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I'm not entirely sure why since I've never noticed it before but I'm playing a a Tengri character in the far north east of the map and every time I grant a county title or one of my male children the whole dynasty gains 50 renown lol. Has this always been the case and I just never noticed?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Blood is still there for creating hale/pretty/smart rulers, but honestly that's very middle-of-the road for so much effort. You can lock in genius or herculean by themselves after like 2 generations of normal marriages, and never need to bother further. Doing other hyperoptimal stuff, such as 30 knights all at huge prowess and 400% effectiveness, is so much more fun.

So as was mentioned, plunder is super great, and the first pick from the Iberian conflict (house members in court positions) is like an entire culture to itself.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Jose posted:

I'm not entirely sure why since I've never noticed it before but I'm playing a a Tengri character in the far north east of the map and every time I grant a county title or one of my male children the whole dynasty gains 50 renown lol. Has this always been the case and I just never noticed?

You are playing as the Buryat culture and you have the Mystical Ancestors tradition. Only 7 cultures in the game have it and other cultures can only get it through hybridizing.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Jose posted:

If you want to play superman, have your dynasty be thousands of robust, beautiful geniuses, noting can beat blood

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jun 26, 2022

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

hmm I bought the season pass but plunder wasn't an option. Did I accidentally start the game without some of its features and can they be added in now or is it rip time to start over?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Ah sorry, Plunder is a DLC tradition for Norse Characters. The Iberian ones can be found in the base game I think... if you're doing the Iberia scenario. The base legacies where all very wishy washy which is why everyone gravitated towards blood, I really wish they'd go back and fix that. It can't be a lot of effort, surely.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
The flavour pack legacies (Plunder and Adventure for Northern Lords, Coterie and Metropolitan for Fate of Iberia) only appear if you're playing a culture that has access to them (Norse, Norse-derived, or some other exceptions for the first two, involved in the Struggle for the other two) or you WERE and picked a legacy from it before converting away.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

ahhh ok. Yeah while my current character is still so strong militarily i should conquer and grant titles all over the place for blood anyway

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I like Glory if you’re planning to get really big. The first one that gives +30 am marriage acceptance is real nice to grab if you’re small since it makes it easier to marry up. The later ones give prestige and diplomacy bonuses and a higher vassal limit.

Also like grabbing the first two from blood just to make the good traits that much easier to get and keep.

I end up spreading out and picking a lot of different legacies though. Although erudition and Kim are the ones I use the least.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013
Law is usually my first tree (unless I'm Norse, and will dip into Pillage first to keep the tree open). Early game the Stewardship tree and an extra province are at their most useful.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

I really like Kin for the second perk, having consistent better education/lifestyle point gain is very strong and its early in the tree. One thing about blood it its basically the only way to consecrate your bloodline, no other dynastic tree gets a "decision that just makes you better forever" in the same way.

edit: not consecrate, strengthen. Strengthen Bloodline.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

Law is usually my first tree (unless I'm Norse, and will dip into Pillage first to keep the tree open). Early game the Stewardship tree and an extra province are at their most useful.

Same, that discount on hunting and control boost are super helpful too.

Blood is the strongest but after a few playthroughs with it you'll avoid taking it because it makes the game too easy.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Trying to restore Carthage in Princes of Darkness and killing powerful vampires is too loving hard!!

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Pillage is a top tier track, especially the 1st and 4th perks. Warfare is something I always grab as well, especially the 3rd perk that makes dynasty members far less likely to get hurt or killed in battle. The first two Law picks are good for keeping your dynasty members landed, +5 popular opinion isn't much but it can be enough sometimes, and extra control growth in every province is always useful.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Is there a way to become involved in the Iberian Struggle as good ole Haesteinn without losing Asatru? I'm fine with hybridizing culture (never a bad moment for it), but I want to keep raiding and being a dick to the so-called civilized nations.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

toasterwarrior posted:

Is there a way to become involved in the Iberian Struggle as good ole Haesteinn without losing Asatru? I'm fine with hybridizing culture (never a bad moment for it), but I want to keep raiding and being a dick to the so-called civilized nations.

No, you have to switch to a religion that is involved in the struggle. You can create a heresy of that religion the next day easily enough and stay in the Struggle, but you can't do it and stay Asatru. If you reform your hybrid culture to have the Practiced Pirates tradition you will be able to raid regardless of religion.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

SlothBear posted:

Same, that discount on hunting and control boost are super helpful too.

Blood is the strongest but after a few playthroughs with it you'll avoid taking it because it makes the game too easy.

Yeah, it's pretty trivial to reliably get genius heirs after you can snag just one, and so Blood always seems kinda unnecessary. Being hot/strong is nice, but 25 extra attribute points and 30% lifestyle gain outstrip their benefits by a mile.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

SlothBear posted:

Well I preempted another murder attempt by getting him excommunicated, then I tried to arrest him, which caused a small revolt. I quickly put that down and executed the guy. So I recommend that if it’s an option. Could always arrest without a reason, but then you take the tyranny hit.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Tyranny goes down by like 5 pts a year, and retracting a duchy and everything underneath it is like default 20ish tyranny? You have a *lot* of leeway to be an rear end in a top hat on a regular basis.

Like, in Iberia I retracted a duchy, destroyed the duke title, handed out the counties to local nobles for +10 progress each (and prestige?), then set them all independent (since the de Jure duke is now gone) for another +10 progress each. Cost me 16 tyranny, gone in 3 years, for a hundred loving progress to the next phase. Ez.

If someone is being an rear end in a top hat, lock him up. Time can absolutely fly when you're busy elsewhere, tyranny is just another tool you should be mashing on cooldown, much like Sway plots etc.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

toasterwarrior posted:

Only if you reform the faith, and make sure that 80% of the counties owned by that faith are in Iberia.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Thanks all, sadly that all seems to take too long to do. I suppose Practiced Piracy is probably the best way in.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Serephina posted:

Tyranny goes down by like 5 pts a year, and retracting a duchy and everything underneath it is like default 20ish tyranny? You have a *lot* of leeway to be an rear end in a top hat on a regular basis.

Like, in Iberia I retracted a duchy, destroyed the duke title, handed out the counties to local nobles for +10 progress each (and prestige?), then set them all independent (since the de Jure duke is now gone) for another +10 progress each. Cost me 16 tyranny, gone in 3 years, for a hundred loving progress to the next phase. Ez.

If someone is being an rear end in a top hat, lock him up. Time can absolutely fly when you're busy elsewhere, tyranny is just another tool you should be mashing on cooldown, much like Sway plots etc.

An arrest in time saves a half dozen executions down the road. To build off of this though, arresting vassals (or taking on huge amounts of tyranny generally) is entirely context dependent. If it's early game as the Byzantine or Holy Roman Emperor, you really want to watch out for realm-wide opinion maluses. If you're Asturias or Aquitaine or any mid-sized realm, removing the potential of a vassal or two to revolt can guarantee peace in the realm for decades.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Tyranny and stress are resources, not something to be avoided at all costs.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I guess I've avoided tyranny a lot because the few times I have used it have caused all sorts of faction problems for me. I tend to play with really big empires though, which is probably the reason why that happens.

I haven't found much use for stress unless you pick up the couple of lifestyle items that give you bonuses for stress. I guess it's also good if you're trying to kill yourself fast.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
(edited)
I mean if you're able to firmly keep the stress controlled, then stress is just another resource to exploit, much like the pope's opinion of you. Raising stress is just you powergaming contrary to your character's roleplaying requirements, which is fine.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Jun 27, 2022

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I reformed the faith to make cannibalism big but i still can't do the cannibal decision. Is there a way to actually make other characters a cannibal?

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

Any beginner tips for a Rurik game? I haven't engaged much at all with Tribal societies up to this point, pretty much just done feudal tutorial island with Murchad. Forming a Russian empire sounds cool though.

I conquered some small fry, formed a kingdom, and built some markets but don't really understand raiding all that well. My neighbors are dirt poor so I'm eyeing western Europe to raid, but need to keep some levies back home to protect my poo poo from other raiders too?

I don't understand Rurik's ability to choose between Scandinavian or Russian culture, though. I read about it somewhere, but that stuff is a bit confusing to me still.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Jeremor posted:

Any beginner tips for a Rurik game? I haven't engaged much at all with Tribal societies up to this point, pretty much just done feudal tutorial island with Murchad. Forming a Russian empire sounds cool though.

I conquered some small fry, formed a kingdom, and built some markets but don't really understand raiding all that well. My neighbors are dirt poor so I'm eyeing western Europe to raid, but need to keep some levies back home to protect my poo poo from other raiders too?

I don't understand Rurik's ability to choose between Scandinavian or Russian culture, though. I read about it somewhere, but that stuff is a bit confusing to me still.

No, you dont need to leave levies protecting your home. Even if you are being raided, just ignore it. And go raid England and Ireland first.

The money you get from raids is good but even more important is the prestige., You take that prestige and use to hire varangian veterans. Dont hire anything else, just vets. With like 500 vets you can already take armies of 1000 or more, so you can raid bigger fish. And than you get more prestige, which you use to hire more vets. Repeat until you become unbeatable.

Tribal norse is easy mode

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jun 27, 2022

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Serephina posted:

(edited)
I mean if you're able to firmly keep the stress controlled, then stress is just another resource to exploit, much like the pope's opinion of you. Raising stress is just you powergaming contrary to your character's roleplaying requirements, which is fine.

Ah ok, that makes sense. I read it as purposely upping your stress level, which maybe wasn't the intent. I definitely do things that cause me stress in the game if it helps in the long run, but I try to avoid upping my stress levels if at all possible.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Jeremor posted:

Any beginner tips for a Rurik game?

Elias_Maluco posted:

No, you dont need to leave levies protecting your home. Even if you are being raided, just ignore it. And go raid England and Ireland first.

The money you get from raids is good but even more important is the prestige., You take that prestige and use to hire varangian veterans. Dont hire anything else, just vets. With like 500 vets you can already take armies of 1000 or more, so you can raid bigger fish. And than you get more prestige, which you use to hire more vets. Repeat until you become unbeatable.

Tribal norse is easy mode

Yeah this is how you do Rurik (or anyone else Norse for that matter).

You should get down to Kyiv as soon as possible and make that your capital, having access to the Black Sea and the Med gives you a lot of excellent targets. Caspian down the Volga can be good too in a pinch.

And land your second sons with developed counties on the edge of the Khazar empire, one of them might manage to win a subjugation war and that's free Renown.

Culture wise you do not want to choose between Russian and Norse, you want to hybridize so you keep your longboats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I need to remember to zoom out sometimes. I picked up a random county way outside my realm thanks to marriage shenanigans with my kids and didn’t realize it until I had the option to declare war on someone and couldn’t figure out where they were.

Also ran into my first imbecile, I don’t think I had seen that yet. Of course it was to a six year old girl who happened to be my liege.