Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Captain Hygiene posted:

I'm not convinced that farts don't look like broccoli, to be fair

:thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Disappointed this one didn't end with a drawn fart, broccoli or not

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah, people miss that fight scenes are a story.

I mean hell, it's cliche but watch some anime, big fight scenes like in DBZ. People complain about how it turns into trading ten zillion punches and laser beams and zwee fighting, and it's true, but the famous fight scenes are still stories with twists, character development, and story structures. Shonen is a lot like pro wrestling a lot of the time, with the way characters fight being an expression of their personality and character development. (among other things)

Also, play to the strengths of the medium. I've seen webcomics struggle with fight scenes when they're clearly trying to emulate other media, like anime or video games, and it simply doesn't work, with the artist/author seeming to not understand why.

Another pretty good example is the Sports Festival arc in My Hero Academia (season 2, episodes 1-12 or so, but the part I'm talking about is from about 6-12). Tournament arcs usually all suck because they're an excuse for the writer to call it a day and just have all the different characters show off how cool they are with their special techniques and then the protagonist wins at the end or whatever. My Hero Academia has every single match be directly tied in to the characters' own personal journey or as a vehicle for them to work out complicated interpersonal dynamic. The fights there ARE the story, like you said, and not just filler. It's my gold standard for what a tournament arc could be, and I hope more writers learn from it

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I read that all the way down waiting for it to lead to something

jesus christ

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezZ6T0NYdSI

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I read that all the way down waiting for it to lead to something

jesus christ

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Chubby are you trying to steal Wizard Master's posting thunder? Because I can assure you that there's no thunder to be had.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

I guess this would be considered a Wizard Checker post? Or possible Chubby Master.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

i've hit the fuckenb pay dirt

the next one is a doozie

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

You realize that, having posted them, these are now your favorite comics, right? Legally you are obligated to like them as much or more than any other comic.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

post it chubby

:post:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mx. posted:

post it chubby

:post:

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Don't post chubbies.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Kit Walker posted:

Another pretty good example is the Sports Festival arc in My Hero Academia (season 2, episodes 1-12 or so, but the part I'm talking about is from about 6-12). Tournament arcs usually all suck because they're an excuse for the writer to call it a day and just have all the different characters show off how cool they are with their special techniques and then the protagonist wins at the end or whatever. My Hero Academia has every single match be directly tied in to the characters' own personal journey or as a vehicle for them to work out complicated interpersonal dynamic. The fights there ARE the story, like you said, and not just filler. It's my gold standard for what a tournament arc could be, and I hope more writers learn from it

Wait, there are people that don't like tournament arcs? Granted I haven't watched too much anime, but I can't think of a tournament arc that I didn't enjoy.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
If there are 16 final fights and each of them is shown, it does drag on, yes.

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

I never read any dragonball manga so to see Goku yelling drat is pretty jarring considering all I've known of the character was from old rear end episodes of DBZ on Toonami 25 (jesus) years ago.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Lies, Sisters and Wives
Page 30

Lies: 38
Sisters: 0
Wives: 3
Deaths: 0

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

Boba Pearl posted:

I'm having trouble figuring out how long / how to pace a fight scene in a comic, could people post their favorite webcomic fight scenes? I'd love to read them, even if they don't have context. Like, TESB's current scene feels like it's gone on forever, but are people enjoying the scene shifting forever fight?

it's late right now and i want to respond to this but i dont wanna half rear end it so i'll post some of my favs tomorrow

I like comics with fights and i like fights with comics. i havent really read or watched any new popular stuff like my hero academia, attack on titan, one punch man or stuff like that. i usually read older stuff like Kinnikuman, Baki the Grappler, and JoJo's.

yes, i like the eternal fight of TESB not necessarily because it's fighting, but because it is incredibly well built. it's been said before but it's pretty much mad max but with monsters instead of trucks. it's good, technical art and i appreciate it more for the spectacle than any story that the author is trying to tell. not many comics have war boys riding giant lizards rappelling down big dinos while sword fighting a Big Lady while half the cast of One Piece try to fight a mini boss from Rurouni Kenshin. (HELL of a sentence)

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

https://twitter.com/JohnnyCallicutt/status/1539745081762119680

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Boba Pearl posted:

I'm having trouble figuring out how long / how to pace a fight scene in a comic, could people post their favorite webcomic fight scenes? I'd love to read them, even if they don't have context. Like, TESB's current scene feels like it's gone on forever, but are people enjoying the scene shifting forever fight?

TESB is a delight to read because the scene is constantly shifting and new players are dropping in and out, there's always a new angle on things. Plus the backgrounds are so detailed, the characters are so striking and distinct, and there's such a weight to everything-it all looks like it really hurts. If it was just, for example, just Joy and Noodleman in front of a gray gradient taking turns to hit each other, it would have gotten boring after a couple pages, but instead there's lizards and catapults and noodle boy and the dumbass knights and so on!
Of course that's not to say that two people hitting each other is automatically bad, but the staging has got to be there. The obvious go to for fight scenes, at least to me, is Kill Six Billion Demons. One that jumps out is from the start of Book 2(?) when Alison fights the red Kill Boss demon. Obviously I'm a sucker for sound effects, but like, here:

Look how well conveyed that is- the sense of motion and momentum and impact! Look how easy it is to follow where the characters are in relation to each other and how they're interacting! Also if you read the pages on either side, in the space of 10 pages the fight changes location five times, six different combatants come and go (counting the mob as one), there's a dramatic pause for conversation in the middle, and most importantly, it advances all the characters. It shows us how Alison is adapting to training and developing a new set of weaknesses as her strength increases, it illustrates her new relationship with white chain- closer to par than before the time skip but still not close to equals- and sets the scene at the end of a time skip to be like "okay training montage over, here is what Alison can do now and what she is still not ready to deal with." But getting back to visuals, contrast the total lack of impact on the big guy with this earlier page where she interdicts the doorman:

That dude is getting hit so hard his entire body focuses itself around the impact. That is a man getting absolutely loving ironed out. So we know that she's more than capable of whipping a bunch of scrubs, but twice in the same fight she arrogantly overestimates her capabilities, which makes sense because you've been trained up from nobody to an unstoppable badass, but oh whoops turns out the world is full of other unstoppable badasses and you just walked face first into the learning curve. No one likes a protagonist who wins all the time! It's boring! Getting around that by being like "they still always win but sometimes they have to work hard, or they get injured in a cool, sexy way" is exactly as boring! Let em gently caress up and lose and have to be bailed out for entirely in character reasons like getting too full of themselves ans overreaching their skill level!

Basically, the worst fights scenes are the ones that are just like "okay that's [x] pages since the last one, fight scene time!! Main character versus nameless minion(s) to show what a badass they are." If my take away from a fight scene is "okay, I get it, jeez" then somebody hosed up the stakes

e: got probed in the middle of writing this so hopefully it makes sense

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
oh yeah also hell was full

I would pay good money to be able to do this

uh :nws: I guess??? I don't know where you lot work

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Are still posting our favourite fight scenes? This one's from Battle Angel Alita: Last Order. The series gets a lot of stick for being something like 80% tournament arc by weight, but I've always loved it for its perfectly executed choreography (is that the right word to use for a comic), its refreshingly un-parochial attitude towards its inspirations, and its unabashed excess of both drama and silliness.

Here we have an encounter between a transman battle android who seeks to define himself through violence and a cyborg activist/master martial artist who raises and protects children in a society where everyone is immortal (if they can afford it), whose power structures persist solely on the strength of two fears: runaway nanotechnology and the next generation.

I'm going to leave out the end of this fight, but I just have to post something from a bit later, when the actual main protagonist of the manga shows up:

How's that for a fight scene?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Comes to mind how early on in One Piece where Zoro, the guy who wants to be the greatest swordsman in the world meets Mihawk, the current greatest swordsman in the world, a guy who just single-handedly obliterated an entire fleet to alleviate his boredom. Zoro challenges him, of course, and just gets absolutely wrecked by the dude wielding a particularly small letter opener, not even the ridiculously huge anime sword on Mihawk's back. It's very ridiculously anime, especially since Zoro is the infamous triple-wielder, but it does a good job demonstrating how big the power gaps are and how much broader the world is beyond what the protagonists have experienced so far.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Not gonna lie this one got me to chuckle.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Emzedoh posted:

Are still posting our favourite fight scenes? This one's from Battle Angel Alita: Last Order.

Last Order's fine, but it's such a let down from the absolute grand epic the original arc was.

It was mentioned upthread that a great battle mange has to have the protaganist lose, and theat's one of tne of the great things about GUNNM is the protagonist spending the entire series getting the poo poo kicked out of her. And every time she does win it ends up as a pyrrhic victory, with Alita losing friends and loved ones, or being absolutely ratfucked by the powers that be.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

.......has Heathcliff had a first name all along? :crossarms:

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Captain Hygiene posted:

.......has Heathcliff had a first name all along? :crossarms:

That's Heathcliff's Dad. Heathcliff is like Prince or Madonna, one name.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Bonster posted:

That's Heathcliff's Dad. Heathcliff is like Prince or Madonna, one name.

Yeah, I just didn't know he was "Pops" Heathcliff, which made me wonder if they have first names or if they're just both named Heathcliff.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Boba Pearl posted:

The reason why Akira is bounded around as the best manga ever is imo built on the pace and layout of its fight scenes. I'd post that scene where a secondary character (a person you don't know or particular care for, gets characterization through the fantastically laid out fight scene) on a descending platform is fighting someone else you don't know and you're loving gripped its so well laid out, but I think it might be against the rules here. A def recommend nonetheless.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Shageletic posted:

The reason why Akira is bounded around as the best manga ever is imo built on the pace and layout of its fight scenes. I'd post that scene where a secondary character (a person you don't know or particular care for, gets characterization through the fantastically laid out fight scene) on a descending platform is fighting someone else you don't know and you're loving gripped its so well laid out, but I think it might be against the rules here. A def recommend nonetheless.

:justpost:

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Apocalypse Johto—Battlefield Kanto Part 4: Silver Standard
Chapter 34: Power Surge

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Captain Hygiene posted:

Yeah, I just didn't know he was "Pops" Heathcliff, which made me wonder if they have first names or if they're just both named Heathcliff.

Heathcliff's first name is Heathcliff, but you can just call him Heathcliff

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Boba Pearl posted:

could people post their favorite webcomic fight scenes?
Hitmen for Destiny.

The whole thing.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Ranking of Kings

I love this series so much.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Oh no they put Dad in a blender

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Wanna put my tender
Dad in a blender
Watch him spin around to a beautiful oblivion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Oh, boy, I sure am glad that no one else is posting blender focused comics today.